Elk
Contributors to this thread:
longspeak74 14-Nov-17
wyonative1972 15-Nov-17
longspeak74 16-Nov-17
longspeak74 27-Nov-17
Skelly 27-Nov-17
14-Nov-17
Starting to plan my 2018 CO solo elk hunt. Have hunted the Grand Mesa area previously but looking for a change in scenery. I have found some good looking (through google earth) spots in 70/71 near Lizard Head WA. Any thoughts on this area, good or bad, would be appreciated.

15-Nov-17
Hey Bryan - I've researched and hunted 70, but I did not hunt in the Lizard Head Wilderness area. As I recall, there are a couple outfitters that have camps setup in the Wilderness area (likely means there's some elk there). The elk numbers are good in 70 but there is not a lot of mature bulls. There is a fair amount of hikers, dope smoking hippies partying and road hunters, so if you would hike in a few miles and hunt from camp I think you would get into some elk. It is beautiful there with some great habitat for elk. Good luck - Shawn

16-Nov-17
Thanks Shawn. I figured that I would at least see some others just because of the close proximity to Telluride. I have no problem putting some miles on! I liked the idea of hunting a WA just from the no-vehicle standpoint.

27-Nov-17
Thanks to the couple guys who reached out...very helpful!

27-Nov-17
I have 70 on the list to checkout someday. So many places to go on the summer weekends and so little time. The last 4 or 5 years, the success is above average. 15% last year and has been around 20% for a couple of those years. it borders 61 so always wondered if some of the good bulls might wander off the draw unit. A lot of people say halfway between the road and the outfitters can be very good.

• Sitka Gear