DL 19-Nov-17
spike78 19-Nov-17
DL 19-Nov-17
Treeline 04-Dec-17
wildwilderness 05-Dec-17
18-Nov-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
This happened near Bishop Ca. A large herd was moving across a mountain side and apparently hit ice. They estimated close to 70 were either dead or dying. There were two people that found them and were dispatching the ones that were still breathing. Just what Ca didn’t need was more casualties to its deer herds.

19-Nov-17
That Sucks, Man can be a mean A$$ Beotch!!

19-Nov-17
Wow...

19-Nov-17
Man, I'd be running to get a battery powered sawzall. Some nice bucks in that heap of carcasses.

Damn nature, you scary!

19-Nov-17
Wow..

19-Nov-17
Looks more like they got caught in a rock slide.

19-Nov-17
70, huh... Didn't realize they herded up this early for the winter... You'd think the rut is still going on...

19-Nov-17
In Colorado I don’t believe you can put animals down without the DOWs permission? I could be wrong but I’m curious what the CAs rules are. I do not care as my compassion would overrule most laws but this is a significant amount of deer. Bad deal

19-Nov-17

PECO's Link
The only thing I can find about this is that it happened in 1995. I can't find any recent events.

19-Nov-17
You better not get caught cutting off the antlers in Cali or grabbing a backstrap.

19-Nov-17
The deer were moving out of higher country. There is apparently three ice areas on the mountain. A man I know has talked to a warden in that area and it’s true that it just recently happened.

19-Nov-17
Here’s the story.

Brad was down at Mac's Sporting Goods and got the whole story on this. Apparently last night, these deer and many, many others (around 100 deer) were trying to make their way to their wintering grounds on this side of the mountains and hit ice on very steep areas. From below Lone Pine to Bishop Pass these deer hit the ice and tumbled down the steep boulders to their deaths, or to mortal injury. Brad was told that the couple in the picture were actually slitting the throats of the mortally injured in order to put them out of their pain. In the nearly 40 years I've been in this Valley, I have never heard of such a terrible tragedy happening to our deer herds. They suffered 4 years of drought, then a terrible winter with a devastating winter die-off, and now this. It will take many years for our herds to rebuild from this loss.

19-Nov-17
They were going to build them a safe trail but were denied. What is it liberals keep the animals safe or let them die?

19-Nov-17
Count is up to 87 now. Don’t know if deer keep falling off there or what. Could be that this is a traditional migration route.

04-Dec-17
Horrible tragedy. Sad to see you loose that many deer - especially when the deer population is in such bad shape.

05-Dec-17
Very tragic. Sounds like its time to leave CA. I'd be surprised if there is much hunting there in 20 years anyway....

• Sitka Gear