sitO 27-Nov-17
spike buck 27-Nov-17
Tonybear61 27-Nov-17
GotBowAz 28-Nov-17
Hunting5555 29-Nov-17
Paul@thefort 03-Dec-17
jstephens61 03-Dec-17
24-Nov-17
There is a thread about Hadley Creek Outfitters apparently running afoul of multiple game laws. I will default to due process to run its course regarding that part of the thread..... A couple Bowsiters made mention of a regulation that apparently exists at least for Illinois and Michigan....apparently, you can be ticketed for transporting an uncased bow! When I am driving across the country, my archery gear is always in a case (More for protection, than any legal requirement - because I didn't know that such a requirement existed). However, in several states, I have frequently just laid my bow on the back seat of my truck at the end of a day of hunting....driving back to camp with the bow uncased. If anyone knows of any additional states that will issue tickets for an uncased bow, please post them here......I have never bowhunted in Illinois or Michigan, but now I wonder if I could have run into trouble in other states as well.....

24-Nov-17
Wisconsin, is a another state, bows must be in a case

24-Nov-17
Wisconsin is another state , bows have to be in a case..

24-Nov-17
New Brunswick CA hunting regs require bows must be cased in vehicles when going to/from stands.

24-Nov-17
Wisconsin does not require casing for bows or unloaded long guns. The law changed in 2011.

24-Nov-17
Illinois the bow must be "cased or inoperable while in transport." You can use something to wrap around strings/cables so it cant be drawn and that would be OK. I just use a case so there's no discrepancy (some CPO's think different) but I know many that just take their release and strap it around the cables and string so it cant be drawn.

24-Nov-17
Yeah IL has the law, but I've never seen it enforced near me. I've asked CO' s and it's rarely checked. Seems like it's there to tack on some extra $$$ when someone is being a jack wagon.

24-Nov-17
I know Mn used to have a case or unstrung bow law. Heard things changed but haven’t been able to confirm.

I don’t hunt my home state much but when I do I just case my bow while at home.

25-Nov-17
Kevin is correct about WI. You do not have to case your bow or gun.

25-Nov-17
Dave I had 2 buds hunting in Illinois,,one killed a buck..dnr stopped them,,for ,like an hour ,,berated them,,told them he could take the deer,,gave 2 warnings,,for uncased bows,,,they said he was WAAYYYY overzealous!!

25-Nov-17
Doesn't sound like he was being overzealous if they were breaking the law? Having said that, the law is a pretty dumb one.

25-Nov-17
Interesting thread. I wouldn't have ever thought about this. I normally just put my bow in the backseat. I wonder if a sling that has snaps on the inside portion of the bow (Primos for example. I'm not affiliated with them) would be sufficient?

25-Nov-17
Sounds like the CPO in our area, everyone knows that’s he’s over the top. I work for IDNR and have had professional run ins with him. But I’ve also had to call him in for backup and he’s right there. Just have to know how to deal with him.

25-Nov-17
For Minnesota 97B.051 TRANSPORTATION OF ARCHERY BOWS. Except as specified under section 97B.055, subdivision 2, a person may not transport an archery bow in a motor vehicle unless the bow is not armed with a bolt or arrow.

25-Nov-17
My brother was ticketed about 5yrs ago in Illinois for having bow in back seat uncased

25-Nov-17
Used to hang them in a rack in my pickup,or a rack in my jeep window.good times.

25-Nov-17
Are they scared it's going to go off and shoot an arrow by itself????? Common sense becomes more rare when control freaks gain some authority.....

I can see it for firearm or I guess a cocked xbow. But good grief.... a bow?

25-Nov-17
"Are they scared it's going to go off and shoot an arrow by itself????? Common sense becomes more rare when control freaks gain some authority..... I can see it for firearm or I guess a cocked xbow. But good grief.... a bow?"

It's so that it would take more time to get it out of a case and shoot an animal near a road just like the requirement and reason for a firearm to be in a case, and it's has nothing to do with safety!

25-Nov-17
Huh? Firearms here are required by LEOs to be cased for the safety of the LEOs making a stop. Can only transport to and from a hunting area or firing range. Bows..... are just bows.....

You can't jump out of a vehicle and put a stalk on an animal? Most places I am aware of you cannot shoot off or across a road. Once off the road have at it. Have taken a good many animals as "targets of opportunity" Again..... control freaks in positions of authority.....

25-Nov-17
Colorado requires your bow in a case while on an ATV/UTV.

25-Nov-17
buzz mc - a sling meets requirements.

26-Nov-17
“Have taken a good many animals as ‘targets of opportunity’ Again..... control freaks in positions of authority.....”

Well, I suppose that’s how a Road Hunter would see it.

26-Nov-17
From: GF 26-Nov-17 “Have taken a good many animals as ‘targets of opportunity’ Again..... control freaks in positions of authority.....” Well, I suppose that’s how a Road Hunter would see it.

That was exactly my thought when I read his reply to me and as far as the requirement of a cased weapon requirement just so the GW doesn't have to worry about getting shot if/when he stops someone I call BS!

27-Nov-17
Yup.... killed a few deer (a bunch of goats and pigs) that were spotted from the road driving in.......get the wind, drop in a gulch or forest edge and put a stalk on em. Let me know if you get it done on an axis buck spot and stalk (with a bow mind you, not a rifle).... instead of that hardest and most challenging of hunts..... from a flippin tree...... good grief...

I'm a hunter. And kill a good number of animals every year with my bow, I hunt every week, all year, no seasons, no limit..... If I see an animal in a stalkable position on property I have permission to hunt driving out..... game on.... I can't help it that some only live in their little backyard bubble....

WRT Hawaii law..... "You may keep firearms and ammunition in your home, office (if your employer permits), or place of sojourn (where you lodge or sleep). You may transport directly between these and a firing range, gun class, meeting or show, the police station, hunting, a gunsmith, and a firearms dealer. Guns must be transported unloaded, in rigid lockable receptacles or commercial gun containers that completely enclose the firearm (a commercially produced gun sock meets the criteria). Unloaded means no ammunition in the chamber, cylinder, or magazine if inserted in the firearm. Vehicles carrying loaded guns are subject to seizure and forfeit."

Call "BS" all you want, you are still wrong. Has NOTHING to do with hunting here. Zero. According to the LEOs I spoke with (while registering a new gun at the police station) that was that specific reason, safety in general, but mostly for LEOs peace of mind. No rules whatsoever for transporting bows. None. Obviously a state by state thing. I would have NO idea what your state requires.... can only comment on the logic of said rules others have stated. Or rather..... Control Freaks United......

Boys, for the benefit of mankind.... get out (with your bows) and hunt some more..... kill something, don't just talk about it.... it will relieve the stress.....

27-Nov-17
Have never owned a bowcase in my life!? Sounds like bowcase lobbyists lol ...it may be common in more states as crossbows are shot out of windows by more and more folks

27-Nov-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Some "DA's" never even get'm into the truck ;?)

27-Nov-17
Ontario, states a bow has to be fully encased from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise. So if a hunter stays in his stand till 1/2 hour after sunset, he has to encase it at the stand. $180.00 fine for uncased after legal shooting, $180.00 for not wearing your hunter orange hat and vest.

27-Nov-17
Why would you not want to case the bow?? MN used to be a law. But a good idea anyway to protect the bow. Pins, rests get bumped, strings frayed, arrows bent, strings frayed by the equipment that can get carelessly placed in the vehicle by hunting pals, stablizers can loosen up and fall off, releases lost when outside the case.. Or you could have a bother who repeatedly slammed the door of the station wagon, later a pick-up tail gate because it wasn't closing. Yeah and the limbs of all 3-4 archers bows were hanging out into the opening, ARRRG!! Also a good idea if walking in the dark so stuff doesn't get lost. Yeah on stand early all set-up,,, its get light then, um my quiver fell off back there, my pins are bent, fiber optic broke, or what the??? How did that get broke???

28-Nov-17
Why would I want to case my bow if Im by myself driving 1 mile on pavement to my hunting site and walking in from there? Bow lays in the back on the nice cushy bench seat. I hate this stupid law but its there for opportunist poaching or road hunting which in Michigan case is mostly all private in the lower portion of the state. So that means road hunters are most likely also trust passing. IMO, its a dumb law and in my bow hard case for aircraft I have to remove my stabilizer and my site. How comfortable are you with your equipment being on when you put it back together in the dark and haven't shot it after doing so? Stupid law!

29-Nov-17
I posted this in the other thread.

In Illinois a bow or gun must be unloaded and in a case, or made inoperable, while being transported in a vehicle. I have been told that also applied to ATV's. The case can be something as simple as a cloth bag tied shut. No requirement for a hard case.

For a bow, making "inoperable" includes placing a lock or zip tie around the string and cables. For a gun it means being disassembled. No idea if a trigger lock would qualify.

In regards to using a release strap to make inoperable.... We were told by a local DNR Officer at a hunter's safety course that a release strap that uses a buckle to close is OK, but a release strap that only uses velcro is NOT OK. In my opinion you use a release at your own peril.

Your gun or bow does not have to be in a case after or before hunting hours as you walk to/from your hunting spot as long as it is unloaded.

One last thing, poisoned arrows are illegal in Illinois. The DNR bust guys around here every year with broadheads covered by condoms because they have been dipped in poison.

03-Dec-17
Darron, if you are talking about the "poison pod", actually the substance is not a poison at all but a powdered drug that when spread on the wound (after the BH strike) and then gets into the blood/nerves system, causes the lungs to be paralyzed and not functional thus recovering the wounded deer. Fred Bear was the one who started this concept the then a few years later, pulled the plug on the idea. Not legal in any state but still used in Mississippi by some and maybe my others who try to get away with it.

03-Dec-17
David Powers was caught with pods in a duffel in Idaho a few years ago. He had cleaned out storage in Mississippi and didn’t know they were in the bag. One shop owner by Jackson died from eating the stuff. Showing that you could eat it without harm. Stupid didn’t remember he had a cavity, open to the blood stream.

• Sitka Gear