off-dutyhunter 29-Nov-17
Scrappy 29-Nov-17
bad karma 29-Nov-17
APauls 29-Nov-17
Dirk Diggler 29-Nov-17
Scrappy 29-Nov-17
Shrewski 29-Nov-17
26-Nov-17
So I'm in the market for a new coat. I'm looking for a mid to late season insulated camo model that fits well. I'm 5'10", 170lbs, in good shape for my age. I like some of the features of the Sitka Fanatic but hate the idea of the velcro outside finish. I feel like that will be terrible for everything that might stick to it. I don't mind paying for a long lasting quality coat that may last me 20 years or so. Please offer your opinions. Thanks.

26-Nov-17
First lite Woodbury or sanctuary. Great jackets and good sale going on now.

29-Nov-17
I'll have to say I had the same worry about the fanatic but it is an awesome jacket and the pros far outweigh the cons. Plus it's really quite. I have other jackets/shells etc and they all have a place if you're mainly hunting WT the fanatic is awesome! If you're going to be doing a lot of spot and stalk etc there are tons of great reasonably priced shells etc from almost every company. I'm partial to KUIU everything I absolutely love that company but for stand hunting I wear a fanatic! It doesn't pick up anymore burrs etc than my sleeping Indian or kom.....

29-Nov-17
My evaluation of the Fanatic is similar to Highcountry's. Awesome jacket, but I would argue it picks up burrs better than any jacket I've ever owned. I need to put in some serious picking time on it. That being said, I used to laugh at people who would pay that kind of money for a jacket, but now that I have one I positively love it and realize the error of my ways (in thinking) before. The jacket is worth the money IMO. I'm going to start wearing a super light, burr resistant top over my Fanatic to go to and from the stand.

29-Nov-17
I think we should all pitch in and get Pat a new bino harness for Christmas :)

29-Nov-17
I agree with turkey talker. Sanctuary or Woodbury from First Lite is awesome!

29-Nov-17
Might look at the KUIU line of clothing.

Disclaimer: I'm not a sponsor or in no way compensated by KUIU.

29-Nov-17
Dave, I'm assuming you'll be hunting generally in IL. I would second the First Lite Woodbury jacket. It's excellent and does not collect burs like the Sitka. I have both and I love the layout and function of the Sitka but I just have way too much beggars lice to continue to battle that with the Sitka. The Woodbury seems to do much better. If you have no bur issues, etc then by all means the Sitka is the better piece IMO.

29-Nov-17
Thanks everyone, I've got a First Lite Sanctuary on order. I wanted to take advantage of the sale. Great input from all!

29-Nov-17
The other issue that I haven't seen on here is that the fanatic is noisy as hell when rubbed up against the bark of a tree when sitting up against it.

I prefer my sanctuary jacket as well because it is longer. If you are wearing bibs its not a big deal. I just have a pair of zip off insulated pants and my fanatic jacket is just to short to stop the drafts.

29-Nov-17
Midway USA has a bunch of gear on sale at around half off or better.

29-Nov-17
Pat I;ve got the Gen 1 Fanatic jacket, and I notice noise and I am almost always sitting up against a smooth poplar. Nothing I can't work around, but it might even just be the jacket freezing to the tree from the heat my body is putting off. A less "fluffy"jacket probably wouldn't freeze to it as readily.

29-Nov-17
How does someone say Berber Fleece is noisy when rubbing up against a tree? To me that doesn’t even belong in the same thought process.

29-Nov-17
Pat I have the original fanatic jacket, that is what I am basing my experience on, I should have said that. Sorry

29-Nov-17
Pat—you should try the Sitka Bino harness. It’s perfection.

I vote for the Fanatic as well. What kind of stuff are you going thru to worry about burrs on your jacket so much? Bibs I can see...

I usually carry mine in anyway do don’t worry about the burrs.

• Sitka Gear