Mr.C 01-Dec-17
Scrappy 10-Dec-17
The last savage 10-Dec-17
Jaquomo 10-Dec-17
arbe25 10-Dec-17
The last savage 11-Dec-17
arbe25 14-Jan-18
26-Nov-17
OK, I know you will probably laugh at this idea, but I am asking seriously.

After all the leaves fall, it is fairly easy for bedded deer to see me access a lot of the area on my farm. There are cattle bordering my property, and sometimes they get threw the fence.

So, I was thinking what if a hunter had a light silhouette Montana type decoy where the head portion actually allowed you to slip over your head and shoulders. A hunter might be able to be less cautious about walking the open areas?

Any merit to this? Thanks.

26-Nov-17
Does anyone make one? Thanks.

26-Nov-17
Worth a try, the deer ignore the horses on the property i hunt. You might be on to something!! 1/4 plywood, paint, straps and give it a try.

26-Nov-17
Ultimate predator does.

26-Nov-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

26-Nov-17
Montana decoy makes a pretty big one of a broadside beef cow. I have one here somewhere, but it's never been out of the box, so not sure exactly how big it is.

26-Nov-17

Greg Kush's embedded Photo
Greg Kush's embedded Photo
You could wear this. ;-)

26-Nov-17
Just be careful what field you go into with the cow suit... You wouldn't want to come across a bull. That could be painful.

26-Nov-17
Not that there’s anything wrong with that ;-)

26-Nov-17
Thanks. Maybe not so crazy, and not original either. Anyone try this? Not the part about attracting a bull, lol. But has it worked in calming deer?

26-Nov-17
It works to sneak up on antelope and snow geese! Never tired it on deer.

26-Nov-17
Frank, two tips if you try this: Don't walk directly at them. Animals seem more at ease with a slow quartering approach. Secondly, deer can't count, so don't worry about the number of legs on your decoy:)

26-Nov-17
Thanks. I am not going to use it to stalk, but rather when I walk through my open Fields before I get to the woods. I just thought they would maybe pay less attention and forget about it?

27-Nov-17
t-roy, the ultimate predator decoys are for actually stalking closer to an observed animal, I believe. Thanks for the suggestion. Montana does have a full silhouette which I think might work. Anyone have experience just using these to cut across open areas and not spook animals? I have two of their deer decoys which work great. If I can use this to get to my stands at the edge of timber and quickly collapse it, I think this might be worth a try. Would they become educated with it over time, and maybe I should change the color or?

Thanks for the help.

27-Nov-17
Frank, deer are color blind for the most part. Maybe change it to a horse? :)

27-Nov-17
"Anyone have experience just using these to cut across open areas and not spook animals"?

I do. Closest I was able to stalk to feeding bucks in an open pasture was about 25 yards (early Season).

The trick is to take your time, like a feeding cow would, a few steps at a time. Never rush the stalk.

Coming in an arc also helps I believe, instead of going straight at your intended quarry. Give them time to get used to it.

Best of Luck, Jeff

27-Nov-17
I’ve used a cow silhouette I made out of foam insulation panel. Used it to get pretty close to antelope. I’m sure it would work fine on Deer that are accustomed to seeing cattle

27-Nov-17
Thanks guys. Brotsky, I thought about that but there are no horses around my property, not within a few miles anyway. Probably bigger than their home range.

27-Nov-17

27-Nov-17
I was going to say it would prob work, but you're going to budget a half hour of time to cross the field... You'll have to move at the same clip as a cow to make it believable.

27-Nov-17
Ok, so my next hunting story begins...

I like long, slow walks through open fields, with a cow decoy...

Going to order one and try it. Hopefully I will have the last laugh.

28-Nov-17
I made one from ply wood just like above but black and white ,has a mooooving head and neck,got within 100 yrds and that was it...but at a distance 200 plus they never looked my way,I am talking about elk ,,but a sandwich board thing to change your outline works great to get to your spot I still use mine on occasion if the elk are already in the fields but I give them all the distance I can while getting to the blinds.....good luck not laughing at yourself hahahaha MikeC

28-Nov-17
Thanks Mike. Every day I shave I laugh at myself;)

29-Nov-17
funny ...ill try and get a picture of my cow deco board thingy lol MikeC

29-Nov-17
Don’t scoff it off a friend of mine in Fl had a lease on a working cattle ranch he made a cow suit so he could get close and videotape some of the bucks unreal how well it worked.Took some awesome videos and got a good laugh from all who saw them lt will work Lewis

01-Dec-17
cant find the decoy Its probably behind tons of hay in the barn ,I don't think anyone would toss it...will see as the pile goes away

10-Dec-17
My decoy was delivered yesterday from Pappe's Archery. $87 including shipping.

As I walk behind it should I "moo" if there are deer out? Lol.

Thanks guys. Will try it next weekend.

10-Dec-17
Just make sure any bulls in the pasture know your a bull too.

10-Dec-17
No cattle on my property. Never has been for the last 80 years, except for the occasional roamer. One of the reasons I purchased the place. I know you guys are funning though;)

10-Dec-17
Id moo for sure,,,!! And kinda walk towards the deer to see how effective it actually is,,,,heck you may get within shooting distance...never know till you try..sounds like a blast to me...good luck ..keep us posted!!

10-Dec-17
I've had good luck with the Elk Mountain and also the Montana moo cow. Just take your time and sort of sidle along. I never tried to get in range to shoot, only to get to a low spot or ambush spot, or back out of someplace where I was pinned down. The Elk Mountain moo cow slip is a staple in my tool kit for the plains.

10-Dec-17
I’ve been wanting to try this for a while also. I am constantly getting busted on the place I hunt in ok going to my stand. Two questions about the big red cow. Is it the same image on both sides so you can use it going in any direction? Also does anyone think the color matters. All the cows on this place are charolais, which are solid white. Thanks.

10-Dec-17
Mine is the same both sides. Maybe paint it?

11-Dec-17
Try it arbe,,man some of my greatest outdoor moment's have occurred when a newly attempted technique works far better than expected...just one of the the things that makes hunting great!

14-Jan-18
I’ve been wanting to try this for a while also. I am constantly getting busted on the place I hunt in ok going to my stand. Two questions about the big red cow. Is it the same image on both sides so you can use it going in any direction? Also does anyone think the color matters. All the cows on this place are charolais, which are solid white. Thanks.

• Sitka Gear