non typ 07-Sep-18
Tennhunter 07-Sep-18
non typ 08-Sep-18
'Ike' (Phone) 08-Sep-18
Hunt AK 10-Sep-18
non typ 10-Sep-18
Hunt AK 17-Sep-18
19-Jan-18
4 of us are heading up to the haul road to Caribou hunt the end of August. I am planning on renting a raft or 2. For those of you who have crossed the Sag is it better to have one larger raft or 2 pack rafts? Figure we will cross with a rope on the raft then pull it back across to allow the other guys to cross or we will split up and 2 guys can cross or float down the river ad meet the other 2 guys. I'm also guessing it is better to have 2 small tents or camping off the rd a few miles then one 4 man tent for finding an area large and flat enough.

Any experience with Go Noth rentals vs Alaska 4x4 rentals

19-Jan-18
Forget the rope. It will drag in the water and make crossing difficult. To give you and idea of the force, There were places in which a 600' 3/8" rope would drag a 30" buoy to the bottom during the tide. We took 1 or 2 rafts depending on our numbers. The 8-9 footers work best. We kept them in the back and carried inflated to the river. Buy a small cigarette lighter low pressure air pump. Worth every penny.

You will often be able to wade most of the way, jump in and paddle like H and get across. Then you rope up a ways to be able to avoid the next rapids. There are a few places to float, but be careful. Once you get just below the maintenance station near pump 3, the float is nearly impossible due to the rocks.

We mostly used them to cross and then come back in the same place. The problem with floats is that you are below the banks and really can't see much. If you do the floats, it's best to have seen something from the road and then you have and idea where to look.

Good luck, but that herd has dropped from 70K or so to 22K. We quit going the last few years and now I live in MT so I doubt I'll do it again.

Most places we crossed involved taking the raft a few hundred yards from the road to the river.

20-Jan-18
Thanks for the info. We will most likely just use it to crossback and forth in the same spot.

20-Jan-18
Have you considered Larry Bartlett’s Pristine Ventures for renting gear. He has some nice stuff and really went the extra mile to take care of us. If you rent from him he’ll probably give you some valuable hunting tips.

21-Jan-18

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Do not go without a raft, you'll kick yourself in the ass when you see Caribou across the sag. It's not hard to cross the river in a raft, IMO.

I use a PR49, but I see people up there every year with a Walmart special, they make it happen.

Good luck! I cannot wait until August!

21-Jan-18
What about a bear fence? Do you guys ever have issues with the bears in camp. I see a few videos with guys setting up a fence and some do not. I'm not usually the guy in camp who worries about the bears but some of my buddies do.

21-Jan-18
Our schedule is pretty flexible on when we can go, do you think the 23rd of August- Sept 2 is a good time? I understand they are where they are and will get there when they get there. Are the bugs starting to die down by then?

22-Jan-18
I don't bother with a bear fence when I head up there to hunt the road and I wouldn't count on having any issues, IMO.

The end of August should be just fine, less bugs, possibly more caribou. One will never know until they go.

22-Jan-18
Take a raft, but hunt from the road. Use the raft if need be. I was stepped on by a grizz in my backpack tent when I was sleeping , hunted there in 94 and saw a lot of bears. He straddled me and woofed on my tent. I played dead and he left. When I crawled out, he saw me and returned to destroy my tent. I took refuge in a nearby truck camper ( had to wake the owners up) and we sat in the cab while he ripped my tent to shreds.

22-Jan-18
Damn Ned, sounds like quite the night! Glad you made it out ok.

22-Jan-18
Wowzer, Ned!

22-Jan-18
yea, not sure a bear fence would have helped me, I don't think they were available back then. All I had on me was pepper spray, I didn't want the hassle of carrying a sidearm because I was sheep hunting out of a backpack and trying to lighten my load ( not too smart). My buddy dropped me off on the other side of Atigun Pass and then continued up to Prudhoe Bay to fly in and rifle hunt the Brooks Range, he was to pick me up on his way back down. I ended up hitchhiking up to Prudhoe Bay and got his truck from the outfitter, then went back down and finished my hunt sleeping in the truck. Almost filled my tag but not quite, it was the first year they made it mandatory you could only harvest a full curl ram up there. Anyhow, (stick with me here) my time ran out, as we were on military leave with the Air Force; so I drove back up to Prudhoe to pick up my partner. He was weathered in, so I'm sitting there booking an expensive puddle jumper out of Prudhoe back to Fairbanks, and in walks 3 National Guard pilots who are putting some flying time on a General's leer jet. For ten dollars, we flew to a native village further North, had lunch, and then back down to Fairbanks. Had the jet all to myself. My partner ended up killing his ram with a rifle. ( sorry non typ, didn't mean to ambush your post, it just brought back some memories)

22-Jan-18
Cool story, Ned!

22-Jan-18
Dang Ned,,lucky man! How rough is the haul road?

22-Jan-18
I rented a 4X4 3/4 ton Ford from Enterprise in Fairbanks, at a much cheaper rate than I got quoted from Go North, IIRC. Not familiar with the other outfit you mentioned.

23-Jan-18
Does Enterprise allow travel on the Dalton? I’ve taken a Uhaul van up before so I get the don’t ask don’t tell mentality I was just curious.

23-Jan-18
"How rough is the haul road?"

Depends on the day, but typically it's just fine. After a hard rain or a bunch of snow it can be kind of rough. For a gravel road (in most places) it's pretty damn nice. Incredible drive and scenery, I look forward to the 8 hour drive most Friday evening's when something is in season and I have no other plans.

23-Jan-18
20 years ago it was much tougher but they have slowly been paving stretches. The speed limit is 55 but when it's paved the semis fly and that eventually tears the road up.

That's when a gravel stretch beats a paved stretch. The paved potholes are brutal. We always figured 15 hours from Wasilla.

23-Jan-18
Damn Ned! I couldn't stop reading your post....awesome!!!

The haul road (at least in 2012) was a darn good gravel road....but I takes alo of truck traffic so it has to be put together well.

Mark

24-Jan-18
TEmbry- Yes they allowed me to drive the Dalton, I brought this up right away and didn't try to hide it. I also called them up 6-8 months before my trip, not sure it matters but I spoke with Ryan Leid (907-452-4906). But I used my own auto insurance, which they required me to show, I brought a copy of my policy. We almost made it the whole way without incidence, but had a big rock hit windshield on return trip right before getting back on pavement. I had the option of using my Comprehensive policy with $100 deductible (which is what I did) or Enterprise offered to replace it for $200 flat rate. There was also some cost advantage to using their "off-site" office (within walking distance). My experience in 2016 was that the road was not all that bad overall, especially if it was dry. There are many sections you can do 50-60, and a long paved section in the middle you can do 70+. It's just a damn long drive and the big trucks can throw up some rocks. And it was muddy/rainy on the first half of the drive up, which sucked.

25-Jan-18
So tell me.... how hit and miss are the caribou along the Haul Road? Is there a possibility of a caribouless caribou hunt?

25-Jan-18
I suppose anything is possible but I can't remember going up there a single time over the past 4 seasons (around 15-20 trips) and not seeing a caribou. Sometimes you see lots, other times you see very few, possibly none.

Also, for those wondering how to avoid rocks hitting your windshield, pull over when a semi is coming and let them have the road, much less chance of getting smacked with a rock. It's also much safer, I even pull over when one is behind me to let them pass.

25-Jan-18
Nick can I borrow Stephanie’s car?

25-Jan-18
I wish I could offer out a vehicle this season, cause I would but I have too much going on and will need my vehicle to do it all. I would be more than happy to send you or anyone else all the information with regards to rental companies in the area that have vehicles to be used on the road.

25-Jan-18
Nick's advice about the trucks is right on. Also, never park at the crest of a hill. It forces the truckers to slow way down just in case someone is approaching the crest at the same time from the other direction. Don't expect substantial shoulders on the road and don't pull way over. If they've worked the road recently the shoulders may collapse.

They aren't particularly fond of the hunters and are making a living. Try and make it easier for them.

25-Jan-18
Did the haul road last year first 2 weeks of sept. Rented from go north. Had an antifreeze leak right away but they got it fixed before we left Fairbanks. Very few caribou around neither of us even had a shot opportunity. Lots of traffic and hunters on the road. Lots of Asians looking for the northern lights. Odd.

25-Jan-18
Not sure about now, but years ago we had two flat tires while hunting the haul rd. Ended up asking some guys at one of the pump station to fix a flat for us, they were very helpful. ( they were Goodyears though LOL) My buddy also blew out a pair of boots while we were hunting sheep up there, went to the bar in Coldfoot and the bartender actually had several pairs of good hunting boots for sale :)

25-Jan-18

25-Jan-18
The maintenance facilities will not fix your flats for you. Bring the little kits to repair punctures and an air pump (cigarette lighter powered). If on gravel for a while and it looks like new stuff, stop periodically to check your tires. If you drive on them flat they are not repairable. See if you can come up with a second mounted spare.

26-Jan-18
Basically everyone I know that has been up there has had a flat tire at one point or another, except me :)

I have D rated tires on my truck since early 2013 and I have one flat tire in that time, it was from running into a hidden boulder sized rock on a trail in Idaho while coming out from elk hunting.

Definitely be prepared for a flat.

Another tip that most people would never think about...Bring a squeegee thing for your windows, you'll thank me later! In order to hunt effectively up there you have to be able to see out of your windows and when they are caked with 1/4" of mud that won't be possible.

26-Jan-18
Nick has it right about the tires. If driving on gravel a lot you gotta have the tight rubber. Got stranded in the Gila in 2004 in a rental vehicle with a gravel induced flat.

26-Jan-18
I haven't been up there since 2013 I think it was. I lived in Anchorage at the time and it was anywhere from 13-16 hours depending on multiple factors. I only got one flat in 5 trips. Anything can happen up there and it can be hard to anticipate everything that can go wrong.

On my first trip up there. I was on my way home and had just crossed the Yukon river. I was headed up hill coming around a big sweeping corner. A big rig was coming the opposite way and didn't have a lot of time but I hit the shoulder and came to a near stop. The big rig did not slow down and was barreling down the hill. I took a load of rocks to my whole truck and cracked my windshield. I got moving again and not far down the road I noticed my temp gauge was in the red. I pulled over and hopped out and heard liquid hitting the ground. My radiator had taken a rock thru the grill of my Tacoma. I was screwed.

I had a couple people stop to see if they could help and one older guy that tried to cut and crimp the tubes but it was useless. I asked him to send a tow truck for me once he got to Fairbanks and I had no way of knowing if one was on the way. Some DOT workers towed me down to a pull out so I wasn't stuck on the non-existent shoulder. They said they'd check in on me if I was still there in the morning, which I was. They called me a tow truck on their sat phone. A little after noon, the two truck showed up and got me to Fairbanks and to an auto shop with just enough time for them to call Anchorage to get a new radiator flown up next day air. I lost almost three days between the time I got stranded and the time I got back on the road headed home!

As far as caribou, they're either there or their not. We made a trip in early September once and there were zero caribou. We drove up and down from Toolik to Deadhorse glassing and couldn't find caribou anywhere. We had our best success in the end of October after the rut when the caribou were pushing south towards Atigun pass. But that's a whole nother ball game!!!

26-Jan-18
It sounds like it will be an epic adventure. We are debating on the electric fence. We have a few on the farm we can pull and ship with out gear. I did not think of the squeegee. I'm sure it will be very handy. I'm honing to secure the rental truck this week and probably lock in our flights next then we will be committed. I plan on taking my Meindels and for a 2nd pair either Muck boots or hip boots. Which would you guys bring?

26-Jan-18
I've killed and been apart of a bunch of caribou off the haul road, and a few others not far from it, all in Muck/rubber Boots. Maybe I'm crazy, and I certainly could be... but, hiking boots ain't fun when you're hunting in water...

26-Jan-18
Oh he is crazy. Crazy as hell actually . But I would second his muck boots . Mucks and gaiters are a good combo . IMO . Can’t wait to be living on tundra Time again!! Hunt

26-Jan-18
HUNT................ There are dead bou walking right now... It's going to be a good time.

26-Jan-18
And for anyone interested in coming I highly recommend the last two weeks of August.

26-Jan-18
I would bring at least 2 pair of cheap, loose fitting hip waders for crossing the river. I've use this type and also the much more expensive ankle fit. One is for crossing and the other is if you have to hike in waders a lot. I have to put plastic grocery bags in the ankle fit or I can't get them off.

I've hunted quite a bit up there in leather boots. Each year is different. One year it can be so dry that the tundra is crunchy and the next you will be walking in water any place it's even the least bit flat. Some of the side creeks will be uncrossable. You won't know till you are there.

05-Feb-18
Booking the rental truck. Go you guys thing the 28th of Aug- Sept is a historically good time. I've read post for the last 2 weeks of Aug and also first 2 weeks of Sept. I know each year will be different.

06-Feb-18
Nick knows his stuff! Take his advice!

08-Jul-18
Starting to pack our gear for the hunt.we fly out of KC on Aug 27. We are shipping about everything up in advance The 4 of us are taking our Bows and also 2 rifles in case we want to go on a 5+ mile hike. Has it been a wet year up that way? I may leave the hip waders at home and just bring Mucks and Mindels. Which broadheadswould you shoot? I have slick tricks for elk hunting and kill zones I use on deer.

08-Jul-18
Good luck. I think either Broadhead will be just fine . Enjoy the trip . Can’t wait myself 24 days until my feet are in Alaska ground again. Hammer time . Hunt

08-Jul-18
You guys are on short time now, can't wait to see your stories!! Best of wishes for a safe and fun adventure!!

09-Jul-18
Take a cb radio to communicate with the truckers. Might not be a bad way to find what mile marker they are crossing at....

10-Jul-18

Won't be long now, really looking forward to some tundra time with good bowhunting buddies!

10-Jul-18
Looking forward to hearing how it goes fellas. Enjoy!

10-Jul-18
I'm pumped. Its getting harder to convince my wife that I've had this camo for a yr or two that she has just never seen it??

11-Jul-18
Good camo is hard to spot.

11-Jul-18
Think I'll go no camo for the haul rd. Blend in better with the tourists.

11-Jul-18
Commando?

12-Jul-18
For those who haven't been, most dark camos are worse than no camo at all. In early to mid Aug it's almost lime green up there and you look like a black glob. Better off with a very light t-shirt or plaid shirt.

15-Jul-18
Do you think the Cabelas Octane is to dark? Would I be better with cabelas western Zones. Taking my sitka optifade also

16-Jul-18
Your camo choice will not make or break the hunt. Weather might. Few animals might. Poor shooting might. Don't stress your clothing choice.

16-Jul-18
How bad are the bugs in late Aug/ early sept. I plan on my thermacell And a head net. Sending gear out in 6 days so last minute thoughts. I'm planning on getting a wolf tag also since we are there. Hip waders or chest waders?

16-Jul-18
Last time I was up there in late August I saw more wolves than mosquitos!

17-Jul-18
Never tried waders, usually just strip down, toss the clothes, bow and my pack...then you're commited so swimming is easy.

Good bug spray could be handy but in late August I'd be more concerned with the possibility of needing bunny boots, beaver hat and a down parka.

18-Jul-18
16 more days not that I’m counting them down or anything

30-Jul-18
I have heard the migration north has started . Nock up and let’s roll. Good luck to all. Hunt

30-Jul-18
For those who have been up there later as in mid to late October, what are the conditions like? Are the caribou further north? chance of success? Its looking like that may be the only time I can get up there this year.

31-Jul-18

Mossyhorn's embedded Photo
Wildwilderness, I've been up there twice at the very end of October. By then it's post rut. Alot of the big bulls are by themselves or in bachelor groups. They will be holding further south, mostly south of slope mountain, depending on how much snow there is. The first year there wasn't a lot of snow and they were up between Toolik and Slope Mountain, even some up by Happy Valley. The next year, there was a lot of snow and they were all pushed down near Atigun pass. There was nothing north of there.

I killed two good bulls the first year. We were mostly going for my wife and after 4 days of hunting, we stalked up to 28 yards of a great bull. She was too nervous and didn't want to miss and us go home empty. She said you shoot it, I'll shoot the next one! Ha Ha! She did have another chance but couldn't connect. Her effective range was 30-35 yards, pretty tough out there.

The next day, we stalked out on this bull and he was in the wide open with his head buried in the snow, trying to feed. We just moved fast up on him from behind, while his head was down. Covered ground quick till we got to 60 yards. Then he'd move and we just couldn't close it down any more than that. He knew something was up. So I shot him at 60.

The next year we went back and it was crazy, big storm had avalanches on the pass and it was a mess. My wife broke her sites on her bow, sliding down a scree hillside on a stalk. The entire site housing was dangling by the fiber optics. Swapped my sights out on her bow and sighted it in for 20, 30, 40 the next morning. It was well below zero. We found the caribou and waited for them in a creek bed. Others had crossed in this spot and we had a good suspicion these ones would too.

After waiting an hour in zero degree weather. They finally made it within bow range and my wife killed her first big game animal. It was so cool!

The hardest thing is keeping all your food and water from freezing. You can't leave it anywhere. We found that putting everything in a cooler worked for the day and then we'd have to warm the cooler and food/liquids up and put them back into the cooler. It's a different kind of hunt, days are short too, which makes for a lot of tent time. Definitely fun though!

Side note...the blood on my face is mine. This bulls head was wedged and when I pulled him loose, I slipped and the head flung around and a tine caught my face. Lucky I didn't lose an eye.

31-Jul-18

One more of my wife and her bull! Couldn't have been more proud. One cool thing about my wife's bull was it had a small caliber bullet hole through one of it's shovels.

31-Jul-18
Nonresident season for 26B is only open Aug 1-Sept 15 w a bag limit of one bull.

Check the regs closely before planning hunts fellas. These seasons likely won’t change for the coming years (at least in a positive way).

31-Jul-18
Curious, what getting to tires to cause these flats? ... Thanks

31-Jul-18
Your wife's bull is about as good as they come from the road area. Congratulations to both of you. Curious as to the meat quality??

crushed rock. hard and sharp. Sometimes when they are re-graveling you are plowing thru inches of the stuff. Depending on conditions you can drive thru miles of the stuff.

31-Jul-18
Will be traveling the haul rd for the first time, a week from today. Really looking forward to the experience.

31-Jul-18
28 days for us. I've watched about every YouTube video I can find and read every story from he past10 yrs.

How long you going up for?

31-Jul-18
Will be up there for 10 days.

11-Aug-18
15 days till we head north

11-Aug-18
Take bug spray !!!!!!

11-Aug-18
Packed the thermacell and planning on getting spray in AK. I have loaded a net top from bear hunting. Hopefully they will be moving.

12-Aug-18

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
The bugs will be moving. I promise .

13-Aug-18
Damn, hunt.....that doesn't look like fun!

14-Aug-18
And he got shot in the back with a pink arrow! Pretty much caps off a terrible day.

14-Aug-18
At that angle it probably did not get inside of the rib cage and the arrow is just buried under the skin. He will probably make it.

17-Aug-18
Any reports?

19-Aug-18
Killed two with TEmbry yesterday on a quick day hunt. Very few caribou, he killed the only decent bull we saw and I shot a small one for the meat.

19-Aug-18
How far up did you go? Hopefully their will be more around during our hunt 29th -6th

20-Aug-18

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Finished the sheep hunt early and after initially planning on not caribou hunting this year I was convinced to fly up and go along with Nick for a quick weekend hunt up North. I love it when a plan comes together!

20-Aug-18
Hell yeah boys!!

20-Aug-18
Beauty of a bull! Congrats wheelbarrow.

20-Aug-18
Awesome

20-Aug-18
Wait....finished early? Fill us in on the sheep hunt!

Congrats on a great bull!

20-Aug-18
Congrats Trevor!

20-Aug-18
907 killers in the house. Strong work men. Wish I was there . Hunt

20-Aug-18
Well done boys!

20-Aug-18
Very nice....congrats!

20-Aug-18
Nice Trevor!!! Congrats!

Mark

20-Aug-18
We're Fairbanks bound this Saturday (8-25) as tourists. Sunday morning we have it in our heads to drive up to the Yukon River and onto the Arctic circle for a photo opportunity. Up and back, not much lollygagging around. If we leave Fairbanks by 7:00am can we be back in Fairbanks by late afternoon? We must be in Tok by 8:00pm. Is this doable? This is our 3rd trip to Fairbanks, but have never made it anywhere near the Brooks range or the Arctic Circle, we really want that photo, but not at the expense of anything less than a leisurely drive. (for scenic purposes). Might not ever get this chance again. What say you? Thanks in advance. Sorry for Hyjacking this thread.

20-Aug-18
4 hours one way I would guess. So 8 hours total driving .

20-Aug-18
It'll be 8 hours round trip from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle if you are able to drive aggressively on the road. Figure an average speed of 40 mph if you can't dodge potholes at 55-60.

The Arctic Circle is pretty underwhelming and much less scenic as the portion of the drive north of there to Atiguin Pass.

Be safe.

20-Aug-18
Thanks a bunch fellows, that is what I figured. A guess is all I had to go on. The speed is what had me concerned the most. I would love to continue north, but time just won't low it. This Okie can hardly wait to to Alaska one time. Again thanks guys!

20-Aug-18
Congratulations on a great ‘bou!

20-Aug-18
You will learn to hate the sight of Black Spruce. As noted, the Arctic Circle isn't anything to see unless you just want to say you've been there. After that there are some pretty impressive sites including some crazy rock structures on the east side.

21-Aug-18

Hard to pass up meat as tender as this.

21-Aug-18

Spending time hunting with those you truly enjoy is worth more than most anything...

21-Aug-18

Thanks to Hunt Man my wife was able to take her first caribou, I couldn't be happier for her. She's had a great year, a 23 11/16 P&Y Grizzly and now a spot and stalk Caribou.

21-Aug-18

Nick Muche's Link
When I told my parents I was going to the North Slope they said "Wear the fox hat".

21-Aug-18
Team Stef!!

21-Aug-18
Nick LOL. Congrats to all.

21-Aug-18
Fox ya. Little muck tuck is all a man needs . Can’t wait till next time. Hunt

21-Aug-18
Dang good thread boys! Enjoying it.

21-Aug-18
That looks like a great time! Congrats to all!

BTW, I shot a young QL Caribou bull in 2005- BEST game meat I ever tasted!

21-Aug-18
That looks like sooo much fun! I had one of the best trips ever up there, but that was a long time ago! Congrats to everyone!

22-Aug-18
125 hrs till I head to the airport. Shooting my bow good to 70 yd and shot the 300WM at 450yd tonight. Hope I packed everything when we shipped our gear a few weeks ago. As long as I have my bow and tag with a set of boots I think I can get by. Biggest thing with flying vs driving is you really have to pack light. When we elk hunt I usually drive and pull a 32’ enclosed trailer so we always bring way more then we need. This year I shipped 2 big rolling boXes. One with camp gear and one with hunt gear.

Do those of you who fly use TSA locks or regular locks on you gun and bow box

22-Aug-18
TSA locks for me, just seems to make things easier at airport.

22-Aug-18
Some day I want to get up there

22-Aug-18
Awesome stuff guys. Awesome indeed.

22-Aug-18
It’s actually against the law to lock a gun case with TSA locks. Bow case=TSA locks. Gun Case = Padlocks

22-Aug-18
Your right Kota. I read into it last night. Only the passenger is to have the key or combination to the locks on a gun case.

22-Aug-18
Great job guys, those pictures are fantastic.

22-Aug-18
I’ve flown probably a dozen times with guns in a TSA lock case, they must not know their own laws very well.

22-Aug-18
FAA actually amended their language since last fall to include “TSA recognized locks”....Now I’m confused as this contradicts their own law!:

Firearms

When traveling, comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international governments. If you are traveling internationally with a firearm in checked baggage, please check the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information and requirements prior to travel. Declare each firearm each time you present it for transport as checked baggage. Ask your airline about limitations or fees that may apply. Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks. Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage. Replica firearms, including firearm replicas that are toys, may be transported in checked baggage only. Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage.

22-Aug-18
This part confuses me: “Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.”.

TSA locks can be opened by anyone with the TSA key/key-code. So, their own law contradicts itself. No wonder people get in trouble traveling. This language is new since last fall.

22-Aug-18
I’m going to put regular locks on my bow and gun case and bring a set of TSA locks to check in withjust incase they want them.

22-Aug-18
I just got back from AK a few weeks ago and had this same question with Alaska airlines and the firearm must be in a hard locked case without TSA locks (if they were TSA locks it defeats the whole purpose which is to make sure nobody has access to the firearm after it is declared and checked, till it's picked up). One thing that has got me twice is I had a couple loose rounds that must have fallen out of the ammo box somehow and were loose in my luggage. On one occasion I was called out on the intercom after going through security and was met by at least 4 different agencies (FAA, Airport security, the Sheriff and some other folks); all they did was confiscate several .44 mag shells and I got a letter from the FAA and my free airport "junk rubs" at security have been consistently more thorough and frequently. Lesson learned, check for loose ammo.

23-Aug-18
Take extra notice of your bow and arrows after flying. I got to South Africa with a couple of busted arrows in my quiver. It could have been a disaster, I didn't discover it until I crawled into the blind.

26-Aug-18
Heading towards the airport in KC. Should be in Fairanks about 3. Looks like maybe a little snow and some good temps hopefully that will keep the bugs way

26-Aug-18
Good luck!

27-Aug-18
The weather on the north slope this year has been cooler than usual, most days in the 30's with some wind. The further south the better but not by too large a margin. Caribou where north up by Deadhorse a couple weeks ago. They must have migrated further south now. Anyone have any current info on some of the whereabouts of herds this week?

27-Aug-18
A week ago there were no “herds” to speak of along the road between pump 2 and Atigun Pass. We were able to connect on 2 bulls still but spotted very very few caribou. Fun road trip regardless if you roll with the right crew!

27-Aug-18
Might be better luck going out the 5+ miles this year...?

27-Aug-18
What's the typical mo of the haul rd?

Do most just drive till you spot some then try to stalk or cut them off, or are guys heading out in known hangouts?

How many guys are rifle hunting vs archery?

27-Aug-18
Staying the night in Fairbanks and heading North in the am. Was anyone up there this weekend? Plan on hunting hard along the road for the first 4 days then go on a hike with the rifle if need be. Talked to a guy who said 1-2 miles off the road may have a few more animals.

Is there phone service at Coldfoot

27-Aug-18
Verizon will get cell service in Galbraith north of the pass and obviously Deadhorse.

Everyone is different, but your opinion on the 5 mile trudge into an area blind may change once you hike the tundra much. I certainly don’t want a caribou that bad :). If I KNEW where a decent herd is I’d send it 10 miles but going in blind is for tougher dudes than me.

27-Aug-18
What he said ^^^^.

27-Aug-18
Of the bou that anyone has been spotting, are most across the Sag as they tend to be most years. Or they west of the road?

27-Aug-18
I understand it will be hard to walking. I’m the guy who walks twice as far as my buddies when we elk hunt and usually get the elk??. If I start I’ll make it. Can’t be much harder than a fresh plowed field after a big rain. I’m sure I’ll be good for it once, my buddies I’m not so sure about

27-Aug-18
If I was going to try and gun one . I would find a bull outa few miles and push him To the five mile mark. Going in blind is a tough go ! Good luck it’s a blast.

31-Aug-18
Heading up from Fairbanks tomorrow night. Haven't heard a whole lot this week. From what little I've heard it sounds like most people in the last week or so have been having success. And the herds are moving around quite a bit. Seen a bull shedding his velvet today. (By Deadhorse) little snow and rain far north. Temps have stayed about the same 30's.

31-Aug-18
Talked too a few guyswith a little success. Missed a good one today. Did not have my rangefinder And shot low. Seeing a few but only one within a mile of the road. The country is so big and with nothing to judge it seams closer than it is. The bull I missed was with 12otherbulls and the biggest we seen so far. Most all the info given has been spot on. Calling for 6” of snow in the pass tonight. We did not have rooms or the rafts. Would leave the beer and Bring a raft. The ones across the river are closer. I get ATT. Service 13 miles S of Deadhorse. I’ll do the 5 miles if I have to. The 5 I didoday was tough and took 4.5hrs. 90%walking and 10% stalking. I broke the screen on my phone so the grammar/ spelling is not the best

31-Aug-18
After looking at BBs photo. I missed a really nice bull. Big toa KS guy though

02-Sep-18
First post on bowsite. I'll be heading up on the 4th, I live in SE, AK, first time to the interior, renting a vehicle in Fairbanks and driving up. Wondering if anyone thinks it's worth it to do a last minute raft rental in FB or am I going to see enough bou to the West to have a chance to connect?

02-Sep-18
Going up without a raft is just silly... get one. Best of luck!

02-Sep-18
Thanks for the input Nick. From my topo and satellite scouting it looks like the walking on the East side could be considerably nicer too, or am I wrong about that?

02-Sep-18
Thanks for the input Nick. From my topo and satellite scouting it looks like the walking on the East side could be considerably nicer too, or am I wrong about that?

03-Sep-18

Walking anywhere up there sucks :)

Have fun though, damnit I should have went today but my legs and feet are sore!

03-Sep-18
If you see caribou on the west side of the road from Pump 2 and north, don't even bother with them. Or do, and then do the walk of shame like many (self included) do, I just keep driving anymore.

03-Sep-18
Nick, thanks for the advice, I'm pumped. Getting on the first leg of my flights in a few hours. Looks like you've had some success, congrats man, some nice bou!

04-Sep-18
Lots of rainout here. The river came up about 4’ in a few hrs. There is water every where. Had a few close calls. One a tourist stopped and opens all the doorsand spooks off a smaller bull about 300 yd off rd. The other I stalked in and had a 40 yd shot but af full draw my peep was full of snow. When I let down he seen me.

04-Sep-18

non typ's embedded Photo
non typ's embedded Photo
Happy valley

04-Sep-18
Our biggest regret is no raft. We were packed to the rim with 4 of us in the truck. We should have gotten a small trailer from uhaul. Lots of bou across the river. It is still rolling pretty good though.

04-Sep-18
I’m heading up in a couple weeks, wondering if anyone had seen anything moving and if it’s worth my time to go that late

04-Sep-18
They say most still up on the coast.

05-Sep-18
Well hopefully they will be around on the 20th

05-Sep-18
Well hopefully they will be around on the 20th

06-Sep-18

Tennhunter's embedded Photo
Small bull but was tickled being my first time up
Small bull but was tickled being my first time up

06-Sep-18
Good job TENN! Good thing ya left yerself with an extry arra, justin case....

06-Sep-18
Hell yaaa Tenn!!!!! Bigger than any I will ever see in Chicago. Congrats!!

07-Sep-18
Just got back. Caribou are moving a lot. Didn't see many good bulls. Water levels a high, most rivers are tough to cross in just a raft. Mile post 345-350 had a good few crossing there most days. I hunted east side of the road ( couldn't get across the sag) lots of cow and small bull herds moving. Rumor was that the biologists said a lot of the bou are still by the ocean, yet to migrate. Good luck

07-Sep-18
Flying back today. Had a fun trip & had quite a few bulls in the 100-125yd range. You have to watch out for the tourists up there. Had a van of Asian people sling open the doors and start talking very loudly till the bull I was stalking ran off then they sped off. My other close opportunity was at 45yd. I crawled in the snow from about 100yd out, came to full draw only to have a peepsight full of snow. I made the 5 mile hike but did not see any good bulls. We caught quite few grayling and kept enough for a great tasting meal. I’ll be back some day. All the advice in this thread has been spot on. The tussocks are tougher walking than elk hunting. BRING A RAFT even if you have to leave some of the beer. Got the bait and switch for about $400 on our rental at GoNorth. Lots of people going with uhaul

07-Sep-18

Also like non typ said walking out trying to chase a herd across the tundra is also not advised unless you can get to where there feeding to first and have the wind on them, sometimes depending on where you camp can be a good place to glass before heading out lol.

08-Sep-18
We had paper but no pen. The herd was about2 300yd from your tent

08-Sep-18
Lol...That’s perfect!

10-Sep-18
Would it be worth while to take a small jet boat on the sag? And go up one of the small creeks that dump into it to get off the 5 miles

10-Sep-18
Next time we will either go up the riveror fly out. The haul rd can be done and is a fun hunt you can do under 3k without bringing back meat. The guides and hunters we talked to were about 70%this yr.

17-Sep-18
Any updates on the whereabouts the bou are hanging

• Sitka Gear