ELKMAN 17-Jul-18
Bowfreak 17-Jul-18
Cazador 17-Jul-18
White Falcon 17-Jul-18
ELKMAN 18-Jul-18
ELKMAN 18-Jul-18
ELKMAN 18-Jul-18
12-Jun-18
So I tend to take the summer pretty serious when it comes to my bow and equipment. I get to try new things, experiment with new positions and perhaps most importantly I get to shoot. That said, I went out this morning with some new arrows and tried my broadheads. They shot fine, I then moved out and when I got to 40 yards I buried a broadhead in the dirt. I couldn't imagine that they would drop any more than the field tips so that left one culprit, FOLLOW THROUGH!!!! I was befuddled to say the least, but it is clear that I need to start with the basics again, so what is your guys favorite exercise for follow through? I also want to know your summer shooting strategies. Let's hear it!

12-Jun-18
I prefer to shoot at 80-90yds and make sure no torquing and a good follow-thru after the shot. Also relax and don't force the shot just let it happen. This works for me and my groups are 4-5 inches or better sometimes. Also always finish on a good group. Shoot for quality not quantity.

12-Jun-18
I like to run killer sprints from my target then focus only on pull through and holding my arm steady.

Need to tune your rig to broadheads too if you haven't already. They don't all "fly like field points."

X2 on quality not quantity. If I go out and shoot a solid group I'm gonna probably go home.

12-Jun-18
I also shoot from lots of different positions and angles on my 3d target. It's paid dividends. I won't start shooting broadheads til August. Several reasons. Wear n tear on the target for 1. And 2, broadheads ain't cheap. I'll also take er in for a factory settings tune up.

After that tune up, nothing but my favorite broad head. I have 3 sacrificial heads. Chances are, it'll need a final fine tune a week before elk season. Then it's go time!

12-Jun-18
Now is the time i get new strings and cables, work on getting sight tapes made, peep and anchor dialed in and making sure the bow is fitting the way i want it to. Then i go into fine tuning my setup on the sight tape. I shoot target archery throughout the winter and spring so my shooting is usually up to par for what i am looking for in my shooting. July ill start pounding long distance shots...80,90, even 100 to get ready for archery antelope opener. Then its just shooting a handful of good shots each morning or a couple times a week to make sure im on and good to go

12-Jun-18
X3 on Bowboy's quality vs quantity. On the days I work, I shoot the local outdoor range. My first 6 arrows are 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45yds. Then I shoot, 50, 55, 60, 65, 72, then 85yds. I shoot 72 for poops and giggles simply because that's the distance Bowboy shot his ram, and the competitor in me won't let me NOT shoot 72. lol! I'll then go back and repeat the first 6 distances. I'll finish off with BH' s at 30, then 40, with an occasional 50. That's it. On one of my days off, I'll go up and shoot the 28 target course in the hills between Cheyenne and Laramie. I'll get off the marked course and shoot unmarked distance out to 40yds or so. After the shot, I'll range it...good or bad. Wonderful teaching/reinforcing aid for range estimation. Anything beyond 40 I'll range before the shot, since I won't take an unranged shot at an animal past 40. Once again, I'll take some shots at 85-90yds.

Since I shoot year round, summer practice is just refining/reinforcing the shot process that I worked on during the winter, albeit at longer distances.

13-Jun-18
^^^ Lol....

Workouts with cardio, every other day and shoot the off days...As said quality over quantity and fine tuning equipment as needed...

13-Jun-18
I just put away my 60 pound experience(deer and bear killer) in july I will dust off my 70 pound rpm, put new strings on her and start shooting every other day, and mostly at 60-80 yards in preparation for elk and moose hunting

13-Jun-18
I try not to shoot too much. I get bored with it. I switch back and forth on the trad and compound to break the monotony some. If I shoot too much I’m not shooting right when I shoot.

13-Jun-18

Pigsticker's embedded Photo
A young plebe with first two piggies.
A young plebe with first two piggies.
Out to 80 yards starting at 50 and punching holes in these guys. I don’t do a lot of glamour shots.

13-Jun-18

I shoot first arrow with magnus stinger and then practice points on the rest.
I shoot first arrow with magnus stinger and then practice points on the rest.
Never seem to get two pics when posting with cellphone.

13-Jun-18
JTV, RazorTricks fly like darts out of my bow! Absolutely love them! I don't know that I've ever had one that didn't spin true! Been using them since '09.

13-Jun-18
Rut, I shoot plain bale(no target) or eyes closed at 5 yards before and after target practice while focusing only on follow through. While shooting, I do not focus on any form issue only on aiming. I always work on form issues and reinforcement up close without targets.

13-Jun-18
Like others have said, practice at further ranges. My 20 and 30 yard pins only get used on windy days. Most of my practice is 40-90 yards.

13-Jun-18
Well one thing: I wouldn't be "starting" to shoot/play with things June 13th. Year round is taking things "serious"...JMO

13-Jun-18
I shoot year round,not just summer. New strings in February. My arrow/broadhead combo has been the same for several years so there's no practice save for a few shots. My shots are no further than thirty yards. When I shoot my compound it's forty yards max. I'm not a long range shooter. Want to make sure the animal I'm hunting is going to be killed.

13-Jun-18
I see a lot of guys shooting summer arrows at the range, especially starting in August. Sum'er here and sum'er there and they say they're good to go! :)

13-Jun-18
I shot out to 50-60 yards last night. That is all I have pins for. Was pleasantly surprised at my groups. Probably averaged 6.5-7" at 60 yards. That is pretty good for me. The important thing for me is rest between shots. If I shoot 4 arrows too fast, I get fatigued and my groups suffer. I also need to shoot more from a tree this summer. Since I hunt 100% of the time from a tree, I should do more elevated shooting at the Glen Del.

13-Jun-18
John Dudley shot 1000 arrows this past weekend. That would be like running a marathon. Unreal!

13-Jun-18
Luckily I can still get them at our local archery shop......I think

13-Jun-18
I shoot year round too. But, indoors only goes to 30 yards. That becomes pretty boring after awhile. I enjoy the summer because the options become endless.

14-Jun-18
"I keep up my shooting in the season"

That's a great reminder Scoot! I know a lot of guys that shoot like crazy and then start hunting and stop shooting! Have to keep that muscle memory strong.

14-Jun-18
I've been in a shooting slump the past few weeks and finally got out of it. Really had to focus on follow through and keeping the sessions short. Like others said. Quality over quantity (especially with bad shoulders). Prolonged sessions only end in frustration.

Yesterday I shot my 5 new arrows with broadheads. Each one was dead on out to 70 yards. One thing I noticed is I shot my broadheads BETTER than my field points. That little bit of extra pressure of knowing it's an expensive arrow drove home the need to focus a little more!

14-Jun-18
As a barebow shooter, I have to shoot all the time to be consistent, especially at the longer yardages.

I have a nice little archery range with about a dozen 3D targets, scattered over hill and dale, on my 15 acres. I practice nightly, out to 80 yards. It's a nice routine for my Wife and I, and good practice for the summer 3D shoots.

14-Jun-18
February -- full equipment check -- strings, rest, d-loop, timing, etc. Blind bale or close quarter shooting in the garage. March -- Start shooting at 20 yards and work out any kinks. There's always a new issue every year. April -- Turkey season coincides with stepping back to 30 yards and working on maintaining form used during 20 yard and under shots. If something isn't working right, go back to blind bale. May -- Shoot every night at 30 yards to 40 yards. Not a bunch of shots, but as many "good shots" as I can -- follow through making sure my tumb swipes my shoulder after the release lets go. June -- Start stepping back to 40-70 yards and, if necessary, go back to blind bale at the end of every night to make sure I "remember" the right form. July -- Fine tuning. Broadheads are screwed on for two of four arrows. If broadheads aren't grouping with field tips then adjust as necessary. Fletch and wrap new season arrows and group-check with old arrows. Shoot as necessary to maintain form -- 70 yards and under. August -- heavy on the visualization. Imagining what bull elk/mule deer looks like at 10 vs 50 yards, focus on "cold shots" early in the morning or late at night on dim light.

Run all summer and lift as necessary.

14-Jun-18
I’ve been shooting all winter in my basement at about 12 yards concentrating on the fundamentals of my form and shot execution. Seems boring but it has made me much more accurate at all ranges. I’ve been committed to a Stan Blackjack hinge release through all of this and couldn’t be happier. My confidence is through the roof and I’m scoring much better than I used to at 3D shoots. Concentrating on the shot process and not the desired outcome has yielded much more accurate shots for me.

Josh

14-Jun-18
That's what I'm talking about Ace of Spades! 12 yards! Perfect.

14-Jun-18
Lol, I’d shoot 20 yards but I’m not lucky enough to have a cellar that long!

14-Jun-18
Learned long ago that this quality over quantity thing is the real deal. Tonight I walked out, shot 3 arrows at 50. Felt plenty good with roughly a 1 1/2" group. Walked back in the house with a smile. I'll try again tomorrow. Hopefully 3 shots and I can walk back inside overly confident again. I do enjoy shooting out to 80 when i get the chance. Hard to do in town ( though it can be done, just requires standing across the street on my neighbors sidewalk and shooting to my alley)

14-Jun-18
I shoot indoor 300 rounds (60 arrows at 20 yds), outdoor Target 900s (30 arrows at each 60-50-40 yds). NFAA 28 field rounds, 112 arrows from 10 thru 80 yds. Shoot regularly for these shoots in my back yard through 60 yds. I do 3-Ds with kids, G-kids also. Most practice at home is 50 yds. or less & try to shoot at least 60 arrows. When its hunting season I shoot 20-30 arrows nearly daily (broadheads) for 3 weeks & 20-30-40 yds.. Long range shooting does nothing for me, it's the distances 40 & under most important for me hunting.

14-Jun-18
I probably average about 100 shots a day year round. (Not quite that much when hunting) I shoot in my back yard pretty much daily and out to the range couple 3 times a week, shooting out to 100. I enjoy 3d almost as much as hunting and most weekends this time of year, I'll be at a shoot. Shot Redding for the first time this year and want do that some more. Pretty cool to see all the pros.

15-Jun-18
Clothes worn is only thing that changes much for me throughout the year!

15-Jun-18
Shoot several times a week at 15, 25, 35, and 45 yards. Will hang a stand occasionally.

I always use practice broadheads and 3D targets.

I have 3 compounds and I rotate shooting them so I stay familiar with each.

15-Jun-18
I've seen many wreck their rotator cuffs shooting too much and too oftern

18-Jun-18

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Vane kebab at 20 yards...
Vane kebab at 20 yards...
Second 40 yard group Clean Miss[!] 1st BH...operator error/LOFT Centre 2nd BH Right 1st FP Left 2nd FP
Second 40 yard group Clean Miss[!] 1st BH...operator error/LOFT Centre 2nd BH Right 1st FP Left 2nd FP
60 yard Right FP Left BH
60 yard Right FP Left BH
After a fortnight away from shooting, took my bow out for second part of BH tuning...super pleased with how I was shooting/how my bow was shooting, and how tight my FPs were hitting with my BHs out to 60 yards [stripping vanes with my FP at 20]. Don't think I need to move my rest any, but may just need to move my sight ever so slightly down and left

18-Jun-18
I'm shooting maybe six a day at 10,15,20 ,two at each yardage.working with a bad shoulder and not going to dink it up any worse.try to get good shots.using my PSE one day and the Jennings the next.

18-Jun-18

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
70 yard 12 ringer
Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
70 yard 12 ringer
I’m getting there. It’s amazing what quality arrows will do. My 70 yard groups shrunk in half. I still need to confirm everything is good and then put on my final sight tapes. I shot my first Broadheads at 20 and they were spot on. I’ll stretch them out over the next month.

18-Jun-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
Never stops...

18-Jun-18

COHOYTHUNTER's embedded Photo
70 yards
70 yards
Trying to shoot a few times a week as my schedule permits

25-Jun-18

Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
I shoot at 11 yards in my basement all year but have been to the outdoor range a couple times this summer. I am still shooting a fixed site with 20, 30, 40 & 50 yard pins. I felt pretty good at 50 with field points. Still awaiting permission to bring my own targets and shoot broadheads.

25-Jun-18
I shoot year round but only once a week from Feb-Aug. During season Sept-Jan I shoot twice a week. New strings/cables every Feb. I used to take 4-5 months off but as I got older it was too hard to start up cold turkey at 80lbs. Just once a week keeps my muscles tuned up. Always end each session with 3-4 shots with broadheads.

13-Jul-18

This was a few weeks ago.. Decided to 4 fletch my arrows and this was my 'group' at 50 yards.. Just slight adjustment to sight and good to go..

13-Jul-18

This was a few weeks ago.. Decided to 4 fletch my arrows and this was my 'group' at 50 yards.. Just slight adjustment to sight and good to go..

13-Jul-18

Bowbender's embedded Photo
Bowbender's embedded Photo
27 yard cold group.

14-Jul-18
New strings on my 70lb rpm 360, settled in, bow in spec, I've shot it 3 times, love this bow, I cant believe how smooth and quiet and fast it is!

14-Jul-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
90 yards...

14-Jul-18
That is some great shooting Elkman!

14-Jul-18
6:15 am Kosama workout followed by a quick mile run. Then to work and shoot about 20 arrows at 100+ yards. This is all done with my son which makes it even better. After work I've been making a few adjustments on the bows and typically shoot anywhere from 20 to 100 yards. 3D shoots about 3-4 Sundays a month in the summer. Coues deer hunt is just under 6 weeks away!

14-Jul-18

Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Finally got a new insert for an old target
Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Finally got a new insert for an old target
My 40 yard groups are starting to come together...

14-Jul-18
Casey ELKMAN Dudley!

14-Jul-18

White Falcon's embedded Photo
About every other day with my recurve, once or twice a month with the wheeler and hawk.

16-Jul-18
Well they don't all look like that! LOL! But thanks.

16-Jul-18
Need a full shoulder replacement, been putting it off for 3 years. This year it is real bad. I am shooting a few arrows a week. Good to 40 yards and that is where a will limit myself. Gotta get through this season and I am getting the shoulder done in the spring. Shawn

16-Jul-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

16-Jul-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
Tournament yesterday...

16-Jul-18
That's not a hinge, Casey.

17-Jul-18
No sir. It's July now. No shooting anything but what I hunt with after July 1rst.

17-Jul-18
Elkman,

Your 90 is shooting high. :)

17-Jul-18

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
25 yds, near miss two times

17-Jul-18
Did some this morning before it hit 100.

18-Jul-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
Bowfreak: Your right... ;-)

18-Jul-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
Midwest here's some pictures from a tournament with the hinge.

18-Jul-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear