Stryker 26-Jun-18
Brad From Hebo 03-Jul-18
BIGHORN 03-Jul-18
Jims 04-Jul-18
Fuzz 04-Jul-18
Fuzz 04-Jul-18
SS75 04-Jul-18
23-Jun-18
I got a call from my taxidermist the other day to discuss the pose/form that I want for my bull. I would love to see some different shoulder mount pictures to help me choose, especially if anyone has an off-set semi-sneak. Thanks!

23-Jun-18

MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
MTNRCHR's embedded Photo

24-Jun-18

ChrisH.'s embedded Photo
ChrisH.'s embedded Photo

24-Jun-18

Stryker's embedded Photo
Stryker's embedded Photo

24-Jun-18

Whocares's embedded Photo
Whocares's embedded Photo

24-Jun-18
I’m going to guess that your taxidermist should have a much better library of pics of mounts than the guys here do.... (and if he doesn’t, does he have enough experience to deliver something you’ll be happy with?). But JMO good idea to see as many as possible.

I’ve never shot anything big enough for me to consider having one mounted, but if I were going to do it, I’d first figure out where it’s going to go. Stryker’s mount looks really nice, but it’d look dumb as hell on the opposite side of that room with its nose up against the wall...

How much space do you have overhead? Whocares’ bull is a Stud, but may be crowding the ceiling a bit. Shoulda shot a smaller one, I guess ;)

The other reason I think you’re smart in getting a look at as many examples as possible is that you ought to be looking st examples of bulls about the same size as yours, and maybe you can even find some with similar characteristics - MTNRCHR’s bull is really unique, and that pose lets you appreciate it. But if yours has more length than width, it may look its best in more of a profile (or vice-versa).

Guess my point is that I’d want to mount it so that it looks its best in the spot where I planned to put it, so you have to figure out where you (and perhaps others) will see it from most often; then figure out the most appealing angle for the rack, and then choose a form that presents the animal at the right height and angle.

And if you don’t have a permanent spot in mind, I’d go straight-up & head-on, or as close to that as possible given the height of your ceiling.

24-Jun-18
"...especially if anyone has an off-set semi-sneak."

Seems like this is the chosen pose. Something you might consider as well is a floor pedestal with the option of hanging on a wall if you choose or is needed one day.

24-Jun-18

BIGERN's embedded Photo
BIGERN's embedded Photo
A floor pedestal gives you a lot of options as it can swing in any direction you may need. This mount can rotate independently of the base.

24-Jun-18
Whatever pose you decide on, in my opinion it is well worth the cost of doing detachable antlers. It makes moving them so much nicer!

24-Jun-18
For sure on the removable antlers.

25-Jun-18

Stalker's embedded Photo
Stalker's embedded Photo

25-Jun-18

Smtn10PT's embedded Photo

25-Jun-18
+3 on detachables

But

Get him scored if your going to Before your taxi detaches the antlers from the skull plate.

Good luck, Robb

25-Jun-18

GhostBird's embedded Photo
GhostBird's embedded Photo
Here you go Marty...

25-Jun-18

Treeline's embedded Photo
I should have done the removable antlers for sure! This bull was really tough to get hung up on the wall!

25-Jun-18
Awesome guys, thanks for showing those. The detachable antlers was one of the first things I told my taxidermist.

Hey Andy, good to hear from you. Nice elk too!

26-Jun-18

Stryker's embedded Photo
Stryker's embedded Photo
My ceiling is around 29 feet to the peak.

26-Jun-18
Should have said 20 feet

03-Jul-18

Brad From Hebo's embedded Photo
Brad From Hebo's embedded Photo

03-Jul-18

BIGHORN's embedded Photo
BIGHORN's embedded Photo

04-Jul-18
I've always liked pedestal or wall pedestal mounts. There's more shoulder and form that gives life to mounts. A bit of turn to the neck...depending upon the room and where your elk will be viewed also gives life to a mount. I usually work closely with my taxidermist and look at the form prior to putting the cape on it to see if everything looks good. Sometimes I even bring the form home to see how it looks it the particular spot and if it needs any additional alterations. Little things like having ears tilted back or different directions can also dramatically change the appearance of a mount. It's always good picking a taxidermist that has lots of experience altering forms. You usually get what you pay for! There's nothing more embarrassing than a crummy mount....or exciting as an excellent quality mount that is brought to life by a taxidermist!

04-Jul-18

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Hard left turn
Fuzz's embedded Photo
Hard left turn
A friends bulls...

04-Jul-18

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Straight up
Fuzz's embedded Photo
Straight up

04-Jul-18