JTreeman 28-Jun-18
midwest 29-Jun-18
Scar Finga 29-Jun-18
Brotsky 29-Jun-18
Ambush 29-Jun-18
krieger 02-Jul-18
Kurt 02-Jul-18
28-Jun-18
While the string is at rest, should it have contact with the string stopper?

Got a new bow, love it, just a little noisy. Trying to figure out my options before I go buying a lot of stuff. My string currently lays right on the string stopper while at rest, and I assume this is correct?

28-Jun-18
I like to have just a tiny bit of air between my string and the stopper, like a credit card's thickness worth. Not saying that's right or wrong but that's how I set them. Someone passed that advice to me once and I've just always continued to do it.

28-Jun-18
I set mine so that it is just barely touching the string. I could almost slide a business card between the string and stopper. You just have to play with it a little. If you're hearing a 'twang' sound, it's usually the string stop.. if it's a vibration noise, it's probably something else.. make sure all your screws are tight and use blue loctite the screws

28-Jun-18
As I recall, from several years ago when I installed a new one on a bow, the instructions said to leave a very small amount of space as described by the others above.

28-Jun-18
^^^ that's to keep the string "neutral" when at rest.

28-Jun-18
The rule of thumb is that the closer it is to the center of the string(between the axles), the wider the gap. Never putting pressure on the string though. Bows that have it within 6-8" of each axle, I will "just" touch the string. Those bows with just one at or near the center serving, I leave at least a credit card gap.

28-Jun-18
I actually like mine to be pushing the string out a little to help with the short brace height on some of these newer bows.

28-Jun-18
Always allow just a slight gap between string and stop. Credit card thickness is about right.

28-Jun-18
After all the new products to silence a bow string, I went back to the tried and true set of cat whiskers. I have found they do a better job of silencing the bow than any thing else I have used.

28-Jun-18
A business card space between the stopper and string at brace is what an industry contact of mine suggests.

28-Jun-18
I space mine with a micrometer. 0.01245" gap seems to be the sweet spot LOL. Methinks some are overthinking this...

28-Jun-18
Is that an Amex black matt?

28-Jun-18
I’m no bow wizard, but....

I prefer mine to touch. I understand the main purpose is to eliminate overtravel of the string, but also the secondary henefit of some silencing. Therefore my little brain thinks that the string should be touching to reduce vibration of the string after the shot. I’m not pushing the string out a 1/2” or anything, but a pretty solid touch. Just how I do it anyway.

—jim

29-Jun-18
With the bow held horizontal and string towards the floor, loosen the set screw holding the stop, let the stop slide to the string, tighten the set screw. That's how I do mine.

29-Jun-18
I did some experimenting, and I took mine off, made absolutely no difference what so ever. put it back on and still no difference. Could this just be gimmick??? Just curious.

29-Jun-18
For those that suggest cat whiskers, etc, that extra weight on the string has an impact on speed. I prefer to keep my string bare, save my peep and D loop.

29-Jun-18
You get a cleaner, more consistent launch with a string stopper near your hand (rest). Not sure how much noise reduction you get, but I don't think that is the main objective. Mathews has two near the cams also.

02-Jul-18
Not all string stops are made equal. A good solid one , like from TAP, can be light years ahead of the stock, light carbon one..

I've changed out string stops and thought I had a completely new bow in hand.

02-Jul-18
I install a mid-size Limbsaver silencer on the carbon rod on the string stop. I cut off the stick-on end, then use a small piece of old 18-16 aluminum shaft to core a hole in the center of the Limbsaver that is slightly smaller than the carbon rod. Remove the string stop, push on the Limbsaver, reinstall the string stop. I run the Limbsaver about 1" out from the riser. It certainly quieted down a couple of my bows a bit, and the old Limbsavers had been taking up space for about 20 years in my archery junk box.

• Sitka Gear