altitude sick 25-Jul-18
Trial153 25-Jul-18
Mpdh 25-Jul-18
Wood 26-Jul-18
LaGriz 26-Jul-18
29-Jun-18

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
Was getting some exercise across rocky road and fields. Got home and walked across concrete drive and something seemed amiss. This is what I discovered.

The boots are not new and almost all their use is AK Goat and Sheep hunts but you can see they had a lot of wear left. Really happy it happened at home.

29-Jun-18
Equipment not like it used to be since bass pro took over I guess

29-Jun-18
I doubt he bought that nasty looking thing after Bass Pro bought Cabelas. The post is rather evasive when he says they aren't new and where he has been with them. Just because there is a little bit of sole left on a boot doesn't mean it was going to be usable until it was smooth!

29-Jun-18
I've bought 2 different pairs of Meindel boots from Cabelas in the last 12 or so years. The first pair were Ultralights and were probably the best boot I've ever owned. I had trouble turning loose with the $200 they cost but, after several hundred miles ( several years) on them the tops finally wore out. Since the Ulltralights were so good I bought the even more expensive Denali's. They are very good also but, I will go back to the Ultralights next time. In my opinion Meindel's form Cabelas have been extremely good boots.

29-Jun-18
By the way Cabelas didn't make the Meindels they are only sold by Cabelas whether before or after Bass pro bought them.

29-Jun-18
Last pair of Cabela Meindles I bought never did get broke in so after 2 years I tossed them in a goodwill box and bought a pair of Lowas….problem solved !!

29-Jun-18
My Perfekt Hikers lasted 8 seasons.

29-Jun-18
Popgun. Nice of you to call me evasive. This will simple it down for you. They are old. About 8 years and even that number may not be correct. I've worn a lot of boots out getting to my age and have never had a failure like this.

The boots fit like a glove and I've had over 100 pounds on my back more than once with them. I also don't expect anything from Cabela's but I did inform them.

I posted this for discussion and to see if anyone else has had such an issue.

29-Jun-18
I've worn the Cabelas Perfect Hiker and Hunter Meindls for about 25 years and worn out a couple of pairs of each, got a pair of each that is worn out but I still wear on occasion, and some newer and brand new ones. Never had or seen a blow out like LKH has on his. I like them a lot, they fit my feet as Larry says, like a glove.

Speculating only, but it almost looks like the softer expanded poly urethane foam above the Vibram got some sort of solvent on it that ate it up??? Be interested to know what destroyed them. My size 13 Hunters and Hikers don't use the same polyurethane above the vibram so maybe that is why they last really well?

Anyway it looks like you got a lot of good miles out of them before they gave it up....unlike my buddy with a like new pair of La Sportivas that the Vibram sole came off the entire front of one of one boot early on in a 2-week backpack Stone sheep hunt. We tied it on with spare shoe laces and duct taped it together. He managed to limp through the entire hunt with them, but what a pain the foot for him!

29-Jun-18
My son had a pair of Meindl Perfekt from Cabelas and they were great boots. Last year on our elk hunt the sole peeled away from the boot on the second to last day of the hunt. They were about 5 years old and the tread was probably still over 50% remaining. Cabelas replaced them for free.

I just bought a pair of Lowa Caminos and I’m liking how they fit and feel. Have yet to put them to the test though.

-Mitch

29-Jun-18
A little background. Most of the hunts with these boots involved a lot of walking on soft things, moss/tundra/grass. It's impossible for me to give a good idea of how many miles they have. Never used them near any kind of solvent or as some sort of workboot. They were always stored in completely dark rooms with even heat.

Maybe Cabelas will want them back to see what happened.

29-Jun-18
After 8yrs my meindls had to be re soled, sent them to Vancouver BC. for $150 they sent them back to Germany and had them re soled and sent them back. It took awhile but the boots are like new.

29-Jun-18
Best Cabelas Meindl I ever had were the Ibex hunting boot. They haven't been able to replace them, too bad.

A pair of Crispi's are on the menu...

29-Jun-18
x2 HDE.... the Ibex was a great uninsulated boot. Wore them for about 5 years until they were just plain wore out. Never could find another pair of them . Tried another Meindl boot but they were never any good when it came to hunting in rough country.

29-Jun-18
Had one pair, that lasted exactly one goat hunt. Use Crispi now

30-Jun-18

Nick Muche's Link
Bought a pair while in Germany, something tells me they'll last me a long time.

30-Jun-18
I've had mine since 2011. Use them every year for elk and about 2/3 of my deer hunts since then. Great boot and probably get a few more years out of em. Hands down best hunting boots I've ever owned.

30-Jun-18
8 years of use and judging by the pic the leather hasn't been treated for a while. You got your money's worth. Get another pair. 3 year old Perfekt Hikers on my feet right now that get worn everyday for work.

30-Jun-18
Boots are just like dogs and horses. Just when they are finally perfect they are told Old to do what they should.

30-Jun-18
I had a pair of Perfekt Hunters I purchased at Cabelas. Had them 8 years and the front soul separated from the leather. They had a Lifetime warranty on them. Sent back to Cabelas and received a new pair.

30-Jun-18
What model? I only buy the models made in Germany. If they say "imported" on the description of the boot, they are NOT made in Germany. I have some Denalis that held up well. They do have a lifetime guarantee. Send them back in and I bet you will get credit for them or a new pair of boots

30-Jun-18
Well, I checked the leather and it's in great shape. Still using the original laces. I am in contact with Cabelas and whether I get a new pair isn't important.

Mostly I'm just ecstatic it didn't happen 5 miles back in some rocky canyon trail. They were to be my backups on a "above timberline" early rifle in CO-74.

30-Jun-18
Cabelas will replace that without question. NO other company would. Meindl Denalis are one of the best boot values in the industry...

30-Jun-18
I used to love quality of Cabela’s gear. I am sure that companies now down grade their quality for Cabela’s in order to get the business and still make money. Anecdotal evidence but convincing. I bought my Meindels in Canada and much better.

30-Jun-18
I've see zero difference in the design or quality of the size 13 Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hunters or Hikers I've owned over the past 25 years (or whatever it has been). They are made in Germany, fit my feet, wear for a long time, etc.

The one pair of Meindls that I bought in Canada (Islanders) do have a couple more lace hooks and are of a different design than the Perfekt line Cabelas sells....and give me wicked heel blisters. I use them for flat ground in town use only. They are not superior to the Cabelas Perfekt line of boots for my feet.

30-Jun-18
From: LKH 29-Jun-18Popgun. Nice of you to call me evasive. This will simple it down for you. They are old. About 8 years and even that number may not be correct. I've worn a lot of boots out getting to my age and have never had a failure like this. The boots fit like a glove and I've had over 100 pounds on my back more than once with them. I also don't expect anything from Cabela's but I did inform them. I posted this for discussion and to see if anyone else has had such an issue.

***LOL at that response! The friggin boots are at least 8 years old and probably have 1000 miles on them and you come on here to ask if anyone has had that kind of a problem! With the days I hunt every year and the miles I put on in rough country I'm lucky to get 3 or maybe 4 good years out of a good boot before something wears out on them! Why call Cabelas in the first place? They are a retailer, not the boot maker! No wonder they are getting a lot stricter with their return policy the last few years if dudes contact them about an 8 year old boot that finally wears out and feels they should maybe do something about it or look into why it gave out. What a hoot about an 8 year old boot!

30-Jun-18
Took my Cabelas Meindls back to Cabelas after 4-5 years of using as hunting boot and they gave me a brand new pair of Ultra lights , very comfortable and light . The leather was dry rotting just above sole on the pair they replaced . I did not have a receipt or box , I was ready to buy new ones and Cabelas replaced when I brought the old ones back , I was not expecting that , very happy with my new Ultra lights after 1 year .

30-Jun-18
^^^Another example why they are getting a lot stricter on returns when a person takes a product back like that they've been using for 4-5 years! If you guys were in business making a product that is used regularly under harsh conditions how long would you be in business if you took back all your old, well-used products that people like you brought back?!!!

30-Jun-18
Why so confrontational topgun? It’s a habit of yours. RELAX :)

30-Jun-18
I told them how long I had the boots , Cabelas told me to get my old pair and they would replace , I did not expect this , but I wasn't going to say no !

30-Jun-18
From: sportoutfitter 30-Jun-18 Why so confrontational topgun? It’s a habit of yours. RELAX :)

Not trying to be confrontational at all, but if you don't like my posts then don't read them! I'm just rather shocked that ANYONE would return items like boots that wear out after normal use in 4-5 years like he stated or 8+ years like the OP stated and even take them back expecting to do anything but buy another pair. With people doing that it's no damn wonder that prices on stuff are as high as what they are when they have to figure in people like that and IMHO people doing that should be called out because it affects what the rest of us rational people pay for products! Like it or lump it, that's the way the world works!

30-Jun-18
How many people like me would say no , I want to pay for them in stead ? Your funny Top gun ! I did not lie or try to be dishonest in anyway !

30-Jun-18
It's great that they did that for you with regards to the new pair of boots but it's very hard not to agree with what Topgun is saying... It's also hard not to agree with a customer service rep at the store offering you a free exchange!

30-Jun-18
From: venison 30-Jun-18 How many people like me would say no , I want to pay for them in stead ? Your funny Top gun ! I did not lie or try to be dishonest in anyway !

***I would hope there aren't many people around like you and the OP. You asked a question and my answer is Me for one because I use common sense and would not expect to be given something for nothing when I know how they were used and for how long! That how I have lived my entire life because I don't expect something for nothing. I guess I should just take the Rockys back that I've had for at least 4 or 5 years and used for two months out in Wyoming every year along with use here in MI over that time and expect another pair for free because the stitching is wearing out! Nope, I went to a place and had them restitched and will get one more year out of them and then pay full price for another pair of boots, so call me anything you want!

30-Jun-18
I did not even take my old boots or expect to get new ones , I told them I wanted the same kind I had , and they asked what was wrong with my old Meindls and I told them , Cabelas told me to go get the old boots and they would replace them .

30-Jun-18
That's exactly the difference between you and me! I probably wouldn't have even said anything about that old pair, other than you liked them and were getting a new pair. You stated that's why you wanted another pair like them. When they asked that question I would have said they wore out and it's time for another pair and if they offered what they did I would have refused and got out my wallet! That's just the way I am when I think I got my money's worth out of something that has a certain shelf life and I think they met or exceeded that expectation! I doubt that the clerk would have arm wrestled you to take the new pair for free if you had said you'd rather pay for a new pair because they are good boots!

30-Jun-18
Yeah, I would take them back to cabelas and get a new pair. The one good thing about cabelas, is if they slap their name on something, they guarantee satisfaction and will replace for any issue like this.. Topgun, it sounds like you have a problem with the return policy of retailers like Cabelas.. No body would be suggesting taking the boots back if the retailer didn't have that policy.. I've actually heard the folks at Cabelas use this as a selling point.. "because it has the Cableas name on it, if you ever have any issues, just bring them back.. guaranteed for life"... There are many people in high up positions at those retailers that have factored all the cost/loss analysis in to their return policy, so if they're good with it.. I am too!

30-Jun-18
How about if we all take a deep breath. I can type fast so didn't notice that auto correct had changed Topgun to Popgun but it is funny.

There are a lot of assumptions being made about the boots. They are far from worn out and have about 1/4" tread left. I only used them on sheep and goat and because I never started hunting either until fairly old I didn't put 1000 miles on them. Made in Germany and have a leather "Cabelas by Meindl" label sewn to the top of the tongue.

Never keep paperwork so they would be within their rights to ignore me. But they haven't.

30-Jun-18

Topgun 30-06's embedded Photo
Topgun 30-06's embedded Photo
From: LKH 30-Jun-18 How about if we all take a deep breath. I can type fast so didn't notice that auto correct had changed Topgun to Popgun but it is funny. There are a lot of assumptions being made about the boots. They are far from worn out and have about 1/4" tread left. I only used them on sheep and goat and because I never started hunting either until fairly old I didn't put 1000 miles on them. Made in Germany and have a leather "Cabelas by Meindl" label sewn to the top of the tongue. Never keep paperwork so they would be within their rights to ignore me. But they haven't.

*** My 1000 miles was not meant to be taken as an accurate mileage statement, but if you went on those hunts it's like putting a lot of miles on a boot compared to going antelope or bird hunting! Just because a boot has 1/4" of sole/tread left really doesn't take into account all the other things that go downhill over time. My example of having to have my boots restitched is a good example because the soles have plenty of tread left on them. Here is the present Cabelas return policy and it's nowhere as good as it was 5-10 years ago.

30-Jun-18

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
When I started this it was just as a curiosity so I contacted Cabelas. When I finally finish I'll let you know but I think they are going to rely on the time thing to say no. Here's a couple of pics.

30-Jun-18

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo

30-Jun-18
So they haven't seen the boots and you don't know what they will actually do from what you're saying now. Did you tell them in your original discussion that the boots are 8+ years old? The suckers look like the leather hasn't had any treatment for some time, if ever, like the other member mentioned. Maybe you have a dog or a mouse you're not aware of and it ate part of the bottom off before you put them on the last time. It sure looks like something chewed on it and then it broke away when you got back from your jaunt?!

30-Jun-18
You need to slide the chair back from the keyboard topgun. Did you even read the op? No where does he talk about seeking a refund for the boots. Only showing us the way they broke down. This time without the smiley face, RELAX.

30-Jun-18
I have those same exact boots.

30-Jun-18
From: sportoutfitter 30-Jun-18 You need to slide the chair back from the keyboard topgun. Did you even read the op? No where does he talk about seeking a refund for the boots. Only showing us the way they broke down. This time without the smiley face, RELAX.

***Go cut the yard or just go somewhere else for cripes sake! As I told you before , if you don't like what I post don't read them. It would seem that a person would understand something that simple. Evidently not for you!!! You also need some reading comprehension lessons because I have not made one statement saying that he outright asked for a refund or replacement boots, as all he said was that he informed them of the failure. If they give him free boots if/when he takes them to a store and tells them he has had them 8+ years then good for him and the rest of the folks that think I'm wrong in my thought process. All I can say is what I have in the past and that is stuff like boots has a shelf life and unless the boots are hardly ever worn then IMHO 8 years is way too long of a time frame for anyone to expect a refund and/or free replacements and again I know he's not asking for either in his particular case.

30-Jun-18
A few years ago I had a pair of Meindls that had a sole separation. They were maybe 3 years ago and not abused. I took them to the Kansas City store. They told me the warranty was only one year. I explained that they advertised a lifetime warranty. Wound up calling in the shift supervisor who said she would make an exception and replace them this time, but not in the future. She made it clear the warranty was for only one year.

30-Jun-18
I agree with top gun and Nick. If I had those boots for 8 years I would just take them to the trash and buy a new pair. I have a pair of Meindl boots, the Ultra Light. Didn't need any break in. Very comfortable boots. And waterproof. When these wear out, I will buy another pair. )

30-Jun-18
I think this thread has gone a completely different direction than was intended.. but since everyone has an opinion on warranty and exchange/replace policies.. here's a question, what about vortex optics? They advertise a lifetime warranty.. if you had them for 8 years and a lens fell out, would you just throw them away and buy a new one?? I wouldn't, I would take full advantage of the lifetime warranty.. when these boots were purchased 8 years ago, they had a lifetime warranty, since then, the policy has changed.. however, the warranty that was in place at time of purchase is the one that stays with the boots.. bottom line is, if any product comes with a lifetime warranty, and that product doesn't last a lifetime then they should stand behind their warranty or change it to a 5-10 warranty..

30-Jun-18
Last I sent to Cabela's: At no time have I ever asked for, nor do I want a new pair of Meindl boots. I'm 70 and have a new pair of boots for what may be my last rough hunt, early mule deer above timberline in CO's unit 74. What I did expect was Cabela's to acknowledge two things: 1. The boots were not worn out and 2. the failure had nothing to do with reasonable wear. All responses I have received seem designed to avoid any responsibility by Cabelas and have avoided my direct questions.

It's quite obvious that Cabela's warranty policy is dubious at best.

If you have any problems with the above, please say so now.

I will include it on my postings to various websites. ============================

Larry Hardwig

This is the last response I received from Cabela's. You have seen the blowout photos and what wear level the boots have. topgun's comment about treating the leather is misguided. They have a good coat and still feel a bit "waxed". Leather is soft and without cracking.

I have asked for specifics and they avoid giving any definitive answer. For the life of me I don't know how they can attribute the blowout to normal wear and tear.

==================== Thank you for your response. I apologize for the confusion this has caused. Cabela's brand products do have a Lifetime Guarantee, however that is not a warranty. This states that Cabela's brand products are guaranteed for the life of the product against defects in workmanship under normal wear and tear conditions. Based on the information provided it was determined that the issue with your boot was not caused by a defect. In place of returning the product under the Guarantee, we are offering to provide a discount on a replacement product. If you can provide the item number for the replacement item, I can look into what kind of discount we can offer. If you have any additional questions feel free to contact us.

Thank you for visiting cabelas.com.

Sincerely, Matt B

30-Jun-18
LKH---I don't see how you can expect them to acknowledge either thing (#1 & #2) in your post. I'm not at all surprised at their response because there is no way that you can prove the boots were worn under normal circumstances or how much you used them in that long period of time. You don't have a receipt to show date of purchase and are not sure how old they are, so I think what they have offered to do sounds more than reasonable. If I was making the decision, I'd probably say thanks for being a valued Cabelas customer and we hope you continue to do business with our company. JMO!

PS: I was not the only one that commented on the looks of the leather in the pictures you posted. Do you think there is any possibility that something did chew on that boot area and you didn't see it until you got back and took them off?

30-Jun-18
Other than scuff marks and wear spots, the outsole of the heel should not have been destroyed like that, especially on only one boot. That is a material flaw from the production run before the boot maker even got it.

Had the boot truly been warn out, both should've had fairly equal wear. If Cabelas at the time wanted to replace with no questions asked, that's their business. A common occurrence on Bowsite is when someone touts about customer service this and customer service that. If that is Cabelas customer service that's their business.

And, if someone wants to pay instead of exchange then fine, whatever. BUT DON'T COME ON HERE AND BE CONDESCENDING WHEN SOMEONE DOES. IT AIN'T YOUR THREAD.

Gee, I sure hope I get quoated and then chastised - because I really don't give a damn...

30-Jun-18
Some guys didn't get drawn for their tags. Jeesh! So go to plan B that can be just as much fun!

30-Jun-18
Good thing he wasn't being confrontational........ good grief......

The OP simply asked if anyone else has had an issue like with their boots, he didn't ask if anyone felt like arguing about something trivial.....personally I clicked on this hoping there was some giant sale on them......

Honestly seeing both boots the other sole looks to be in great shape. I'd have to agree likely some breakdown in the rubber, looks like it just crumbled away at that one place.

30-Jun-18
From: HDE 30-Jun-18 BUT DON'T COME ON HERE AND BE CONDESCENDING WHEN SOMEONE DOES. IT AIN'T YOUR THREAD. Gee, I sure hope I get quoated and then chastised - because I really don't give a damn...

***Hope you're happy now because it's not your thread either since you're not the OP and the last I knew each of us can have our own opinions and that's all my posts were---JMO and if you don't like it you can also quit reading them since you don't give a damn, LOL!

PS: You might also want to look up the definition for condescending as just because a person or persons have a different opinion than another doesn't make them condescending!

01-Jul-18
Did you hear the one about the guy who walk into the restaurant, and asked for a free refill of tea......on a meal he bought a month earlier?

01-Jul-18
From the pictures it looks like the rubber deteriorated from the inside out. With no outward signs of a problem, that could've been disasterous if it happened on the mountain. Lucky for you it happened when it did!

01-Jul-18
How in the world can Boots have a lifetime warranty ???

01-Jul-18
A boot manufacture could offer a lifetime warranty if they wanted to factor in the cost of doing so into their every day pricing

there are no free warrantees every consumer pays for it each time they make a purchase

01-Jul-18
That’s crazy...... I saw at the local Sam’s Club they sell bed mattresses with a lifetime warranty........ I saw someone dragging a piss covered mattress that looked 20 years old back into the store........ yuck.......

01-Jul-18
I had a pair of boots a while back where the same thing happened. I forget the brand maybe the were Rockys but the same type of construction. It looked like dry rot. They were old and I got a lot of use out of them like you have. I tossed them out and moved on with my life since they served me well and didn't owe me anything.

01-Jul-18
Rocky’s have done that to me too. The only downside to making a warranty claim on Rocky’s is you have to replace them with Rocky’s.

01-Jul-18
Rocky Boots.... Made in the Dominican Republic..... and their USA boots are made in Puerto Rico......

01-Jul-18
Popgun has blown his top again. Over nothing. Once again. Something weird happened besides the boots being worn out. Like there was an air bubble in the sole when it was molded. Anyways, the wear was even except for that gaping hole in the sole. And like a bunch of worthless retailers who claim lifetime warranty, Cabelas won’t honor their warranty. SMH that Popgun is this fired up. Really shaking my head Popgun isn’t irritated at Cabelas over their evasive handling of the warranty THEY promise.

01-Jul-18
I was going to post about a pair of Mendel Perfect's that I got probably less than 2 years ago. The soul is starting to come loose on the left boot right where it bends on the outside.

But I thought better, that I would just get beat up posting about it here.

Anyone recommend the site that I can go to and post about this and not feel like I'm doing something wrong?

01-Jul-18
Leatherwall maybe?

01-Jul-18
I haven't blown my top and it appears that most feel that what I mentioned about boots that have a number of years on them need to be dumped and a new pair bought. Read what the Cabelas Rep. told LKH and read the Cabelas Return Policy I C/Pd off their website. In no way do they have a lifetime guarantee when a product is that old and a person doesn't have a receipt or even have an idea what year the product was purchased. I've had a Silver Cabelas CC for years and it's the only card I use for purchases anywhere, including their company.

01-Jul-18
From: Teeton 01-Jul-18 I was going to post about a pair of Mendel Perfect's that I got probably less than 2 years ago. The soul is starting to come loose on the left boot right where it bends on the outside. But I thought better, that I would just get beat up posting about it here. Anyone recommend the site that I can go to and post about this and not feel like I'm doing something wrong?

***Nobody is going to beat you up on here if those boots are less than two years old. Take them back or contact the manufacturer for a refund or replacement. Two years or less is quite a difference than a boot that has been through 8 or 9 seasons of use and they should be replaced for free!

01-Jul-18
We're doomed!

01-Jul-18
I wish Cabelas sold pickup trucks. My 2002 F250 Powerstroke needs a turbo. I would take it back and tell them I am not happy and I want to know why the turbo failed and would you please replace it at no cost . The Speedo doesn’t work but I don’t think it has that many miles on it .

01-Jul-18
You guys out west are a hell of a lot harder on your boots than I’ll ever be...... but it doesn’t look like you take real good care of your boots LKH..... But that blowout looks to be something that was a manufacturer problem..... and if they will replace them for free more power to you..... Like a couple of other guys said.... I would have just thrown them in a dumpster and bought new ones.... or tried to get them re soled....good luck to you !!

01-Jul-18

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
OK looks like I lied, I went and got them off the shelf. It is the right boot and on the inside.

01-Jul-18
Shoe goo would fix that.

01-Jul-18

***I've also used that or super glue to fix areas like he showed in the photo. That happens the way a lot of boots are made nowadays, especially with most being made in third world countries.

01-Jul-18
Perfekt Hunters are made in Germany, or at least size 13s are.

Try some Freesole, or now it is renamed and sold as AquaSeal SR to repair the loose sole on Teeton's boot, or in Larry's case, to attempt to fill the void under the heel. Might get another year out of them, you never know.

01-Jul-18
CRAP....I came here thinking there was a "Blowout Sale" on Meindl boots. Those boots do not look like they were very well taken care of. I have a pair of Lowa`s that are 8 years old and don`t look like those. They look almost new. They get worn on hunts and hunts alone.

In my opinion....that crumbling/ missing pieces look makes me think you got into some sort of solvent or chemical that broke down the rubber in the heel.

03-Jul-18

MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
I just found some in the bargain bin for $99! Got out of there for 108 after tax

03-Jul-18
I hate to say it but my Meindl boots were made in Vietnam. I thought Meindl boots were made in Germany? But it seems the Quality is good. The boots are comfortable, and waterproof. It really doesn't matter to me as long as they are a good quality product.

14-Jul-18

squid's Link
LKH, Here is a great description of what happened to your boots. Just had it happen to a pair of mine and sending them off to get resoled.

http://bergpost.hanwag.de/?p=468&lang=en

14-Jul-18
"You guys out west are a hell of a lot harder on your boots than I’ll ever be...."

BIG BEAR, don't go Ibex hunting in NM, it will reduce the toughest down to tears and the best boots to blue suede shoes by the time it's over.

14-Jul-18
I love my Cabelas Meindl 10" Canadian Hunter boots and am on my second pair. The sole deterioration was a problem in the early 2000's and it was quite random for some reason. I still have a pair from 2005 and they are in great condition for their age and use. Still no leaks! I recently bought the new Perfect Hunter model and they are comfortable and working as expected. That said, an 8 year old boot owes the owner nothing and I'm glad that LL Bean and Cabelas have ended their ridiculous Lifetime Guarantee policies. These policies were often abused by people with large gonads and no conscience while the rest of us paid for their boldness.

14-Jul-18
I have seen the same damage on 2pr of boots out here.My mate sells them and when i saw my first pair like that and these were quite new i was told it was water damage.They said that a stone pucture above the sole had allowed water to penetrate and under heavy loads it just mushes the insides.Looks the same to me,cheers.

14-Jul-18
Why not simply have them re soled if the leather is still good ??

14-Jul-18

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
After 10 days in remote Ontario catching few fish I was a bit surprised to see this. Didn't miss phone or internet a bit.

Squid, I think you're on to what happened. The boots were stored as you said and kept clean and treated. As you can see, the soles were not badly worn.

Franklin, if your boots look like they are new after 8 years, they haven't been where mine have. To the best of my knowledge mine have never been on what could be called a trail and have gone down 8-900 feet of shale where each step lands 15-20 feet from the previous. Rock is chewing on the sides the whole time. Also, in broken rock you don't step from rock to rock but rather in between. The sides get chewed up some. I'll give you some pics.

15-Jul-18

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
Typical PW SOUND GOAT COUNTRY
LKH's embedded Photo
Typical PW SOUND GOAT COUNTRY

15-Jul-18
If I had boots that survived 8 years of hunting in those conditions I wouldn’t think twice about buying a new pair or having those re soled.....

If they wanted to honor any kind of warranty.... I’d be happy with them doing a re sole on your pair..... But like I’ve already said..... I would simply thank those boots for their service and buy a new pair or pay for new soles....

15-Jul-18
So LKH, you're telling us how hard it is where you hunted in those boots along with pictures and then you question why after 8+ years they came apart! I hope you read the article that was in that link he posted because it was very informative and probably what happened to your boot after 8+ years. Geez, just spend some money and buy another pair and hope to get 8 years out of them IF you are still able to hunt at your elevated age since it looks like neither of us are spring chickens any more, LOL!

15-Jul-18
Larry, Congrats on a nice Dall!!!

15-Jul-18
I can’t see wanting more then 8 years on a pair of boots. I would say you got your money’s worth out of them.

15-Jul-18
Top gun, Do you ever read before you post? Since you apparently don't, I'll post it again.

"Squid, I think you're on to what happened. The boots were stored as you said and kept clean and treated. As you can see, the soles were not badly worn." So to answer your question, YES.

The pics were to explain the abraded look the exterior leather has. And to those who keep questioning why I think I should get new boots, I don't. I wanted to get an idea about how this could happen and Cabelas immediately went into lawyer mode.

15-Jul-18
Larry...... Look..... You say you don’t want new boots. But you contacted Cabelas and want them to acknowledge that the boots were not worn out.... and the blow out was a product defect. You said you don’t want anything from Cabelas and that maybe they would just want the boots back to see what happened......... Then you later say that Cabelas warranty is dubious at best......

You started this thread saying these boots were used for hunts mostly on moss/tundra/grass.....

You have since changed that to show us the rugged mountain rocks and shale you hunt in.....

I’ve lost my patience for this thread...... Go buy a new damn pair of boots and quit bitching and looking for a free new pair of boots..... you have enough money to go sheep hunting. Go buy a new pair of boots for cripes sake......

Or have them re soled...... how much would that cost you ?? A lousy hundred bucks ????

15-Jul-18
I was offered a discount by Cabelas and did not take it. Have a new pair of Kenetrek boots.

Yes, I wanted an acknowledgment that there was a defect. After Squid's post and reading that I believe it's just something that happens. You do walk mostly on moss and grass in PW Sound and many sheep hunts but rocks are part of the deal too. The climbs from the sea are almost always on soft stuff but once up you do rocks too.

Sorry about your patience. Hope you find it some day.

15-Jul-18
And I hope your Kenetreks last you 16 years.....

15-Jul-18
BIg Bear isn't the only one on this thread that has lost patience with your posts! Just take care of your Kenetreks and maybe they'll outlast you so you don't have to start any more threads like this one, LOL!

25-Jul-18
HDE says: "Best Cabelas Meindl I ever had were the Ibex hunting boot. They haven't been able to replace them, too bad" Sorry but I never got to try this model. My perfect fit Meindl boot was the Mt. Hiker 2. The 1st pair lasted 7-8 years. Zero blisters and they did not leak for the 1st 3-4 years. The 2nd pair leaked after the 1st year and then I suffered a sole detachment after 3 1/2 years of limited use. I now own a pair of the Perfect Hikers that are 1/2 lb. heavier and don't fit quite as well. Cursed with a wide, large volume foot with a high instep. Have had problems getting boots to fit my knurly feet. Also I now have "Cankels" instead of ankles if you catch my drift. LaGriz

25-Jul-18
The closest to the Ibex I have found as far as fit goes is the Air Revolution, but the sole and arch support is too soft for carrying much of a load and your feet are tired after a day of covering miles.

25-Jul-18
I can't seem to get a hiking boot to last me 5 years and they're walking on clouds compared to that country. If a pair of boots took me through 8 years of hunts and a lot of it being the country you state then I would kiss those boots and frame them on the shelf and try my darndest to find an identical pair. I can't for the life of me imagine thinking that they were defective if they carried me over those miles, as well as a pack on top of me. But maybe my expectations are low. I seem to get new hikers about every 3 years. This will be my second year on a pair of Lowa Renegades. See how they hold up. All my boots that I've tossed in the bin look way better than those things.

25-Jul-18
APauls, I agree 2 yrs of hard use is about the most I get from a pair of quality Italian or German boots. 2-5 yrs for average use. After that they are no longer performing as designed. Sure they still go on your feet but have lost a lot of the features built into the boot.

25-Jul-18
After 8 years I wouldn’t have the Stones to contact anyone about a boot. If it took 8 yearsof hard use for a “defect “ to show up then we need more defective boots like that.

And we wonder why good boots are north of 300 ...

25-Jul-18
A few yrs ago, Columbia was replacing boots because of a defect in the rubber or plastic that the sole is made from. All you had to do was email them a pic of your boots and size needed, and they would send you new ones. I had a pair of these boots. They might have been 10 yrs old, but all I had ever used them for was shoveling the driveway. The defect looked just like the pics shown earlier. The rubber just crumbled, and it was only on one boot, and the uppers still looked new. It’s a defect in the material the sole is made of, but because of how long they lasted me, I just threw them in the garbage.

26-Jul-18
My Meindl light weight waterproof boots were water proof for 1 season. I now only use them when it's dry out. Chalked it up to the way all Gortex boots seem to be. I sure would not be wanting something out of a pair of boots 8+ years old. LOL

26-Jul-18
Let me Quantify my "limited use" of non-insulated hikers over 7-8 years. Always bring two pair of boots on a western hunt that might cover 10-12 days. Hikers get little if any hunting time back home. As I usually require Hip-boots, waders, or at least knee-high rubber boots on my local hunts. I will ware hikers for utility, on 3D shoots, or while training. So you are basically talking about 15-to 25 days a year in a hunting situation. On years when I draw a later season rifle tag, I will usually ware an insulated boot. Either a 10" Miendl with 800 grams, or a Danner elk hunter (lace to the toe design with air bob soles & 400 grams). Danner's are solid built (Oregon, USA) but are slightly too narrow, and have no room for an aftermarket insole. Once again, it all comes down to proper fit. This is why I was so disappointed when my last pair of Mt. Hiker 2's blew out after very limited use. I may look in to a pair of custom boots from Russell Moccasin Co. LaGriz

• Sitka Gear