Lee 30-Jun-18
'Ike' 01-Jul-18
Fuzz 01-Jul-18
Ace of Spades 02-Jul-18
W 02-Jul-18
29-Jun-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I've gone in with the wind completely wrong & have seen deer right after getting in the stand. Last year I turned around in my stand & a good buck standing30 yds in front of my stand. My bow was on the ground on my rope. No idea why he was there, walked over a little rise & right to my stand & wind going right to him.. No, I did not get a shot, just a photo

29-Jun-18
Shot a 164" 8 point on public land at 40 yds while standing on the ground upwind of a herd of deer

29-Jun-18
I try like hell not to have that problem, but sometimes it can't be helped I guess. No way you can find another entrance route ?

29-Jun-18
I’ve had some good hunts after clanking around ,scouting,sawing .Just limit your times hunting the area and you will be fine

29-Jun-18
Get yourself some good cover scents and go, deer herd in a stick or some nose jammer and hunt.

29-Jun-18
if its a morning stand go in earlier than you normally would by an hour.

29-Jun-18
if its a morning stand go in earlier than you normally would by an hour.

30-Jun-18
I think you can hunt these stands and be successful but they are much easier to overhunt . If access is bad I’ll save it, only hunt it when everything else is right and plan for a long sit.

30-Jun-18
Parachute!

Can get access another way? Through asking neighbors or something?

I would not not hunt it

30-Jun-18
I’ve spent up to 2 days cutting a trail to an awesome stand site.

30-Jun-18
Would it be possible/better to access the area on a kayak or canoe from the water filled ditch? I have a couple of these spots hard to access too, I think they can definitely still be hunted. As others have stated I wouldn’t over do it though, pretty easy to over hunt.

30-Jun-18
My best spot is very hard to access. Really I'm limited to one way in. I go. I go slow and avoid trails at almost all cost. Just go! I've had more success going then not!

30-Jun-18
Like Simple said just go. Have fun

30-Jun-18
Sounds like a canoe spot

30-Jun-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
The larges WT buck I have killed in Colorado was in an area I had to walk straight in to, across a pasture 400 yards with the wind at my back. I got there two hours before light, sat in the tree stand until then, he came by and 1/2 hour later just up wind. Killed him at 15 yards. I figured/hoped he was across the creek on the adjacent property. I was right. He never knew I was there.

30-Jun-18

trail hound's embedded Photo
trail hound's embedded Photo
I can't approach a stand with the wind at my back. It blows my confidence and without confidence you are relying on luck and that doesn't work for me. I had this situation a few years ago and decided to drive my jeep with windows up across the field and through the timber on a trail so I could approach my stand into the wind. I had permission to drive anywhere and obviously that's not always an option, but if and when it is, it can work.

30-Jun-18
Canoe as a number have said or chest waders - whatever gets you across the ditch.

01-Jul-18
Have someone come in and test it for you and I'd like to help you with that! ;-) You'll figure it out Jeff...

01-Jul-18
I've got a similar situation I've been dealing with for years but on private. The deer can and do bed all over with water and swamp on 2 sides.

Black helicopter insertion is my only option.:-(

02-Jul-18
One spot I hunt has only one way into it and usually results in some deer getting bumped. But if it is left alone until the rut and you only go into it a couple times then there is still a good chance to see numerous deer on all day sits. After 2-3 hunts though the sightings really drop.

02-Jul-18
Go across on a tractor inter tube. If you can’t get in without making a bunch of noise, jog in and grunt on two different calls as you go. They’ll think it’s a chase and be along shortly.

• Sitka Gear