Rickm 04-Jul-18
PECO 04-Jul-18
Jahvada 05-Jul-18
Firsty 05-Jul-18
fawn 05-Jul-18
huntnfishn5280 10-Jul-18
Jaeger63 11-Jul-18
01-Jul-18
A fire in GMU 49 has already burned 4000 acres and is only 10% contained according to news reports. A stretch of Highway 285 is closed. Hopefully they can get it under control soon!

01-Jul-18
It's so dry! Don't count on it! Only thing that's going to get any of them fully contained is the monsoons!

01-Jul-18
Is this the fire that was started by the illegal alien?

01-Jul-18
Lightning!

01-Jul-18

oldgoat's Link

01-Jul-18

HDE's Link
"In the Southwest, the climatological onset of the Summer Monsoon is approaching, and favors widespread improvement of drought conditions, especially in the Four Corners region and southern Rockies. The latest guidance suggests this will be a fairly robust monsoon, which will help elevate the confidence level for improvement. In the interior Northwest, with the dry season now in full swing, drought persistence is favored."

02-Jul-18
Hopefully the monsoons hit Colorado hard. We need rain and a lot of it

02-Jul-18
Well, good thing I didn't draw... Should bode well for next year.

02-Jul-18

fawn's embedded Photo
fawn's embedded Photo
View from the west side of Buffalo Peaks looking east. Those are pyrocumulus clouds, those cumulus clouds formed from the fire activity. It's at 6400+ acres this morning and has had hwy 285 closed since Saturday.

02-Jul-18

fawn's embedded Photo
fawn's embedded Photo
Fire map from July 2.

02-Jul-18
Crap right in "my spot" too!

02-Jul-18
Agreed, I've been scouring the exact area for four weeks now.

02-Jul-18

fawn's embedded Photo
fawn's embedded Photo
An arial photo from southwest of Buena Vista today of the fire.

02-Jul-18
Turn in yer tags boys and girls! That fire will run the elk all the way to Wyoming!

They would have run south to New Mexico, but that country’s burning to the ground as well!

Heck, as dry as it is this year in Colorado, all our elk and deer are packing it up and headed for greener pastures! Get rid of those tags as soon as possible so you can get your refunds!

I heard Idaho still has OTC tags for the taking... And has been getting RAIN!

02-Jul-18
Treeline, I agree and if I had a tag would march right down into the DOW and demand a refund for these worthless tags!

02-Jul-18
All the units within 50 miles will be the same way, thirty days prior deadline will be here before you know it, hate to see guys lose their tag money!

02-Jul-18
Agree- it is so dry you cannot walk anywhere without making a racket. Bow hunting will be futile. Most draw units will be on fire by the opener. Anyone with a draw tag should return it before it combusts by the mere association to the unit conditions!

02-Jul-18
You guys are a riot.

02-Jul-18
Anyone with that tag is pretty much F'd.. the only thing you're gonna be hunting for in September is shade.

02-Jul-18
Or marshmallows, chocolate, and Graham crackers

02-Jul-18
Well at least it'll be a fun camping trip in camo... Good preparation for the apocalypse, a baren wasteland..

02-Jul-18
A guy could make some serious coin this year by selling knowledge of natural seeps and springs...

02-Jul-18
Nope, HDE. They are all dried up. Sure wish I’d drawn a tag in Wyoming or Montana this year! The Southwest is dun-fer!

Heard Colorado is going to allow sale and purchase of points after this season to ease point creep and let guys get something out of all their years of application for nothing. Should be able to buy that unit 2 tag for 40 or 50 points next year. Good thing is, no one will be applying in a year or so and the points required should start dropping off!

02-Jul-18
This is the driest year since 1952! The Arkansas River is normally flowing at 1400 cfs but is running in the mid to low 600's. Streams that feed it are dry as a bone. A couple of them I have never seen dry, until now! The only rain we have gotten here this year in Buena Vista was Father's Day. Everybody around here is Stage 2 fire restrictions, so unless things change and we get significant rain, the Jamboree will be completely fire free with no smoking as well.

02-Jul-18
49 is an over hyped unit anyhow. Not at all worth a fraction of the points it takes to draw it. Cash those tags in boys and girls.

02-Jul-18
The Colorado fire that has burned 40,000 acres and hundreds of homes WAS started by an ILLEGAL immigrant from Denmark. He has been arrested and charged and his Fakebook page is full of anarchist information.

This will be the "new" for of leftard anarchy and if the anti hunters get wind of it hurting hunters who knows what might happen. They don`t really care about the environment so they could care less if land, trees and small animals are killed.

02-Jul-18
Was it an accident, or did he intentionally start a wildfire. I don't care if he is illegal or not. He is the first illegal to start a wildfire. Many wildfires have been started by U.S. citizens, fire fighters wanting job security included.

02-Jul-18
Leaning toward 'on purpose'. Not me, the news...

03-Jul-18
Hde I will start the bidding at $500 per seep and $700 per spring.

03-Jul-18
I didn't draw this year but I was wondering - if someone drew a LE tag in April in a unit where there are NF closures come elk season, are their PPs reinstated or are they out of luck?

What if they get a refund?

03-Jul-18
They were very generous about refund and reinstatement of points best I remember during the 2013 floods.

03-Jul-18
I'm with oldgoat on this one.

03-Jul-18
That's good to know. It would stink to lose points after not being able to hunt a unit due to unforeseen circumstances.

04-Jul-18
Weston Pass Fire (AKA GMU 49) is now 9342 acres and 0% contained .

04-Jul-18
Hope you guys get some rain soon!

04-Jul-18
It's so dry this year that if you shoot an elk it will already be jerky.

04-Jul-18
Is that between Fairay and Salida or wet of Fair play? Sure hope you get some rain soon. Shaping up like Montana last year.

04-Jul-18
Between Fairplay and Leadville, on the Fairplay side of Weston Pass. Good rain forecasted tomorrow and tomorrow night. Let's hope this one hits!

05-Jul-18
The fire is in the south east side of 49.. More of between fairplay and buena vista than fairplay and leadville. It is in the general area of pony springs and moving toward salt creek and up into the wilderness. So far it has stayed to the south of rough / tumbling creek as but moving up that drainage... The fire has not been north of the south fork of the south platte yet..

If you know the area the video below shows where it was as day or so ago.

https://www.facebook.com/westonpassfire/videos/884406685100176/

05-Jul-18
Great now it's heading for my favorite shed hunting spot!

05-Jul-18
This afternoon they had a TORNADO move through the fire area with rains forecasted to produce flash flooding, but tomorrow it will be back in the oven, hot and dry.

10-Jul-18
The fire is 63% contained now. They are lifting evacuations tonight. I have a place in CORA and we were very nervous when the fire started and was headed south. It came within a mile of the campground from the north. Great firefighters, some backburns, dozer work and some lucky wind shifts saved our place. There has been some rain too that slowed things down. The helicopter videos on Facebook show everything if you are interested. Search "Weston Pass Fire".

11-Jul-18
Glad to hear it. Had it reached the magnitude of the spring creek fire many would probably have turned there tags in that drew the unit. Hopefully no more start in the area and pray for more rain!!!

• Sitka Gear