semostickbow 05-Jul-18
IdyllwildArcher 05-Jul-18
BIG BEAR 06-Jul-18
BIG BEAR 06-Jul-18
LesWelch 06-Jul-18
lv2bohunt 06-Jul-18
BIG BEAR 06-Jul-18
02-Jul-18
Question for you Elk guys, from a flat lander. I’ve headed to CO in Sept and have hiking under load in preparation. Only to find out my big toes don’t like my Salomon Quests under weight. So, I ordered a pair of Crispi Idaho’s and Lowa Tibet’s to see which one I like the best and send the other back (wear inside). Without putting miles on the boot, how the heck do I decide? The obvious answer is whichever one feels better..... Looking for thoughts suggestions. Thanks!

02-Jul-18
If the ones you have fit well otherwise, you might try ordering a half size bigger and do the same test in the house. At REI they have an inclined plane with some of those handholds like you see on rock climbing walls. You could get a thick piece of plywood and some 2x4s and fashion something similar.

02-Jul-18
I have had the same issues with the Salomons, didn't feel good to me under a load.. What I've typically done is, put on the same socks you plan on hunting with, try on the boot, if you have some stairs in your house, walk up and down several times and make some mental notes. try it again the next day and see if you still feel the same or your mind changes.. Whichever one feels best, go with.. I personally went with the Crispi's.. Felt lighter and I like toebox better..but everyone will fit differently.. Also, consider an aftermarket insole (superfeet or something comparable).. That can make a big difference too.. Factory insoles are usually junk

02-Jul-18
You will love the Tibet’s I bet

02-Jul-18
I’d be worried that the boot that ‘feels’ best without putting it under load is the boot that isn’t going to perform under load like the ones you currently have - find a way if possible to put them under load and if they both feel ok, go with the stiffer boot IMO. Having used boots of various stiffness from hikers to stiff Lowa’s And L&S I prefer the stiffer boots now. and I really love my Lowa renegades but not as much as I love my stiffer boots when hiking steeper stuff and I’ve used my renegades on a couple elks hunts and they did fine but hard to go back to them now for those type of hunts.

02-Jul-18
A lot depends upon your particular feet and style of hunting. I've done an incredible amount of elk and other big game hunting in the west and would actually pick neither pair of boot. Even though I own a pair lowa tibets and they are super comfortable and do extremely well they are way to stiff and heavy for my style of hunting. The only time I use my Lowa tibets is during late season in deep snow. I cover lots of super rough country and prefer medium weight hikers over tall, stiff, heavier weight boots. You may also find it fairly difficult to stalk game quietly in thick soled, stiff, and heavier weight boots. I looked up the weight of the Crispis you mentioned and they are a staggering 4 lbs...yikes! Tibets may be a little lighter but still mighty heavy if you plan on hiking long distances each day. My Tibets broke in almost immediately and are super waterproof and rugged...but not my boot of choice for early easy elk hunting.

Medium weight hikers are relatively stiff for steep slopes but light enough weight for hiking super long distance...and chunk easier to stalk quietly. Several excellent medium weight boots I've used and abused include Lowa Caminos, Lowa Vantage, and Sharpa Kailash.

03-Jul-18
Most of the time it boils down to the personal preference. I hunt with heavier stiffer boots (currently the Scarpa Kinesis Pros, formerly La Sportiva Pamirs), the Lowa Tibets came in second place each time I bought these other boots. My brother likes the lighter boots like the Scarpa Sanskar (a higher grade of the Scarpa Kailash) and he prefers that type of lighter boot with less stiffness but with good ankle support.

With elk hunting the stiffer boots are easier for me to sit on my heels when setting up, and elk don't seem as nervous about noise as much as deer are. I never busted an elk out because I was making too much noise, usually get winded or move too much. Anyway foot comfort is key to being able to hunt day in and out, and it pays to make the right choice for your style of hunting and your type of feet.

Good luck.

05-Jul-18
Question for you Elk guys, from a flat lander. I’ve headed to CO in Sept and have hiking under load in preparation. Only to find out my big toes don’t like my Salomon Quests under weight. So, I ordered a pair of Crispi Idaho’s and Lowa Tibet’s to see which one I like the best and send the other back (wear inside). Without putting miles on the boot, how the heck do I decide? The obvious answer is whichever one feels better..... Looking for thoughts suggestions. Thanks!

05-Jul-18
Sorry, didn’t mean to repost. Both boots feel fine, the Lowa may have the edge. Toes are good walking under weight up and down stairs. Thanks for all your help and advice.

05-Jul-18
It's going to come down to what feels better. Get them 1/2-1 size big and wear thick brand new socks for your hunt if needed.

06-Jul-18
So 64 oz. a pair is considered staggering heavy for a pair of boots ?? What is a reasonable weight ?

06-Jul-18
Jim... I looked up the Caminos..... they are 54.5 oz..... You said the Crispis are a staggering weight at 64 oz.... That’s less than 5 oz. more per foot than the Caminos.... Is that really that big of a difference ?? You hunt in the mountains so I trust your experience... My only interest in this is curiosity.... I’m not in the market for a pair of boots right now....

The Tibet’s are also 4 pounds........ (64 Oz).

06-Jul-18
I agree with some of the sentiments. The Tibet's are really nice boots. TOO stiff though. I've got 2 pairs sitting in the closet. Likely never wear again. I've been using an array of Crispi, Lowa, and Hanwag's in the mid height/weight range. So much nicer than those extremely stiff soled heavy boots.

06-Jul-18
Considering the weight of boots, Looking at it from a hiking /backpacking standpoint 64 oz is considering very heavy. From a traditional hunters standpoint maybe not so much. Boot weight is trending to lighter and more flexible. I’m a little surprised at the number of pairs of boots some of you guys own.

06-Jul-18
^^^ I fully agree with what you are saying....... For those that are doing EXTENSIVE hiking and hunting out west.... the lighter boots might be a better choice..... But for a guy that goes out west for a week long hunt and has done some physical training to get into shape for that hunt.... He won’t think twice about the weight of his 64 oz. boots.... whatever brand...

• Sitka Gear