Tilzbow 04-Jul-18
bad karma 04-Jul-18
lewis 04-Jul-18
Dale06 04-Jul-18
bwallace 04-Jul-18
midwest 04-Jul-18
lewis 05-Jul-18
03-Jul-18
Noticed a lot of products being made to build up your strength for archery anyone try any of these and did they help.Lewis

03-Jul-18
Good old fashioned push ups and pull ups always work for me:)

03-Jul-18
Didn't know a special product was needed to build strength for archery...

03-Jul-18
I do a moderate weight lifting program several times a week. It is not specific for bow shooting strength. And I bought a practice release that does not release. So it’s safe from dry fires if you want to draw your bow with no arrow nocked. I generally shoot 2-3 times a week in the winter at an indoor range and more so in my yard in warmer months. On days that I don’t shoot, I will draw my bow ten or so times with the practice release. I think that is a decent was to keep the right muscles in condition for bow shooting..

03-Jul-18
Swampbuck X2

03-Jul-18
I lift things up, and I put them down.

03-Jul-18
Just went thru rotator cuff surgery plus a cardiac ablation on the 19th so need a little extra boost that is all Lewis

03-Jul-18
Get a good PT, the earliest work before scar tissue firms up, when it hurts like hell and you have push through the pain right to the edge is the most crucial. The PTs job is to guide you through that phase. Want to build balanced strength back into the entire system. An archery trainer alone is only going to build unbalanced muscle. Those things are BS made for social media. Just shoot, in moderation. Muscles out of balance inevitably fail.

03-Jul-18
I built up a pulley weight system 20# or more if needed, in the garage via a rope/pulley attached to the beam. Cheap to make. A few sets of that prior to shooting or just when I pass by, helps warm up and strengthen the arm/shoulder prior to shooting the bow and prior to the game seasons.

03-Jul-18
Lewis, I was taught to shoot by a competition archer who instructed me to use the Sky draw. While I was in a tree stand this was fine but now that I hunt exclusively from a blind(in a wheelchair) I had to change my draw. Every day use 50lb band from walmarmt,attached to footbed post. Simulate my draw 20 times from down low.No worries now pulling 60 lb bow back.

03-Jul-18
I had the rotator mess over a year ago and have been thru the pt and that helped a lot with the shoulder but last bout of a-fib kicked my butt for 5-6 months but am on the mend and feel great.I would just like to add a few lbs.of strength in the next couple of months.Thanks all Lewis

03-Jul-18
You might take a hard look at the BOWFIT device.

03-Jul-18
Bow Trainer. Cost is about $100. You will like it.

03-Jul-18
I maintain a partially torn rotator cuff with band exercises. The best one is a reverse flye performed very slowly with a light band anchored to a door. Also pay attention to your posture. If you see your shoulders are rounded forward, you'll never get good results. Rotators wear from decades of bad alignment coupled with heavy use or acute injury.

03-Jul-18
I very seldom shoot in the summer because it is so hot here. Sometimes I'll shoot about daylight. I'll start shooting regularly in September, but I have a Bowfit right beside my Lazy Boy in the living room. About every other night I will pull it 10/12 times just to keep these worn out shoulders greased up.

03-Jul-18
Dale06, If you bought a practice release that doesn't release, how do you get it off of the string?

03-Jul-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Lewis. pictures of my pulley system. I used an old barn pulley, attached it to the garage door guides. For weights, I use bench press weights, 20#.Can add more if needed. I attached a 1/2 cotton rope to the weights, then over the pulley.. I just pull the rope with my bow pull arm keeping it in the correct configuration as if I was actually drawing the bow. This action will warm up the arm muscle and joints as well as adding strength. Works for my 78 year old muscle/joints. my best, Paul

03-Jul-18
Probably a hook instead of caliper jaws.

03-Jul-18
Thanks all as always Paul always appreciate your input nice system you have there Hope everyone has a great 4th ????

04-Jul-18
I use the Bowfit to warm up before I shoot and use it every time I shoot. I probably don’t use it as Bowfit instructs but instead I simulate the movements I’ve learned from PT while recovering from three shoulder surgeries and more rescently a torn labrum. As long as I do this every time before I shoot and at least three days per week total and limit each session to 50 shots or less I have no shoulder issues. The plus is I’m able to hold steady and long on target and maintain back tension.

Weight training is good too but for me I need to maintain strength of all the little stabilizer muscles in the shoulder.

04-Jul-18
I just weight train. And as my strength has increased, my accuracy at distance has increased as well. I just bought a single pin adjustable sight because I can now shoot well enough to take advantage of it.

04-Jul-18
Getting old is not for sissies but much better than the alternative you guys have a great season Lewis

04-Jul-18
How do I get the “non release” off the string, it’s a hook, not a caliper. So easy. If you are using a wrist strap, as I am, I think this is the cats ass for training when you can not actually shoot. I got it at a pro shop for about $25.

04-Jul-18
My secret is too shoot my bow more.

04-Jul-18
Anxious to hear about your AZ hunt with Bigdan, Lewis! Giver hell!

05-Jul-18
Thanks Midwest getting over these little bumps in the road but looking forward to it we’ve known each other for about 34 years but never hunted together Lewis

• Sitka Gear