JLeMieux 08-Jul-18
Quinn @work 08-Jul-18
Treeline 10-Jul-18
mn_archer 10-Jul-18
huntperch 10-Jul-18
03-Jul-18

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
I have enjoyed elk and deer hunting in Colorado for the past 12 straight years. Sadly that streak will come to an end this year. The Spring Creek Fire started (actually arson) about 3 miles from my house. The fire raged through my subdivision and the next where I hunt and just kept going. It is currently 79,000 acres and 5% contained.

We received conformation last night that our home there was destroyed. Many fond memories were made in this house and we will miss her dearly. Fortunately we were insured so all is good there. 95% of the contents can be replaced. I lost all my antlers and my wife lost some of her driftwood pieces that she makes which were the only real irreplaceable items. But time to move on and begin the next adventure to make new memories.

So the point of this post is to ask the following; if you had a chance to start over, where would you move to? Things we want are a nice large home (maybe log), a nice big kitchen, a decent track of land (50+ acres although 100+ would be better), a workshop for my wood working, deer and elk tags available every year or every other year, lots of critters to see (not nesseserily to hunt but to see and photography). Sounds like a unicorn I know but if your going to dream then dream big!

Thanks for listening . . .

03-Jul-18
Firstly, so sorry for the loss of your home.. I couldn't imagine.. to answer your question, Wyoming or Montana

03-Jul-18
So sorry to hear of your loss Rob, that would be a tough one. Wyoming or Montana would be on my list.

03-Jul-18
Pm inbound

03-Jul-18
Everything already said. Good luck

03-Jul-18

03-Jul-18
Ouch thats got to hurt.... sorry for your loss. My choice to relocate would be Idaho, no point game, good draw odds, and tons of public land to hunt on.

03-Jul-18
So sorry man! Won't say what I hope they do to that guy!

03-Jul-18
Sorry for the loss of your home. It is so dry, hot, and breezy here, it's scary. I am not sure where I would go if I relocated. I do like Montana and Wyoming. We also liked Idaho.

03-Jul-18
Wow! Can't imagine having that loss, Rob. Condolences to you and your wife. Been on a lot of wildfires my self and have seen that. It always affected me and others on those incidents. I would relocate right in Colorado on the west slope . Love it there.

03-Jul-18
Sorry to hear of your loss. Don’t have an answer as to where to go. I just moved to Colorado, about 50 miles from you.

03-Jul-18
Wow, sorry for your loss. That is a heartbreaker.

Heaven on earth is the Star Valley in Wyoming. Great deer and elk otc for residents, great people and very down to earth, not overrun by liberal ninnies, property values are right, tax structure is great, ski area and all that insanity a short drive north, Yellowstone a little further, great fishing in all directions, big city of salt lake a few hours away.

04-Jul-18
What a bummer. So sorry. I would go to Wyo in the northwest. Colo getting crowed anymore.

04-Jul-18
NW Wyoming. Elk, muleys, whitetail (shhhh), pronghorn, bears, fishing, tons of public and low quantity but high quality attitudes.

04-Jul-18
Idaho. No doubt about it. I'm very sorry for your loss.

04-Jul-18
Tough luck, and condolences for your loss of a beautiful home and way of life, really. Western Wyoming would be my pick . . . BUT, everywhere across the west, the beetle kill has made our national forests into virtual matchsticks. Boy, if you can find someplace green, look there first.

Load up a site like Zillow with your criteria. Add the word 'log' and 'shop' to your search criteria. That should help you narrow the properties down some. Good luck.

04-Jul-18
So sorry for your loss thank goodness its replaceable good luck in the future Lewis

04-Jul-18
Sorry to hear of your loss! Unfortunately I can completely relate. We lost everything in the High Park fire of 2012. We were under insured but chose to build a smaller place on the same site. We loved the area and didn't want to leave. It looks bad for awhile, but things are green now and the aspen are growing where there were only small patches before. The wildlife is all back as well. Not saying you shouldn't move, just remember, it won't always look as ugly as it is now. Also, there should be less chance of fires like this for quite awhile because so much is burned. Family and friends were a consideration for us as well. I don't envy you in dealing with insurance, but hope it all works out for the best! The best silver lining for our loss was the unbelievable support and caring of friends and complete strangers. Completely reinforced my belief in the basic goodness of people - especially here on Bowsite!

04-Jul-18
Actually the beetles are helping make out forests healthy. Because of lack of fire (we have suppressed them for so long) the forests are too thick and over grown. The beetles are doing the work that fires should have done.

Sorry for your loss. I would go somewhere other than Colorado This state is getting pretty crappy with all the libtards taking over

05-Jul-18
Oh man Rob, I am so sorry! But I admire your good attitude!

05-Jul-18
Thank you all for the kind words and advise. It’s a process we are working through, but confident we will make the right decisions move forward.

The calls, texts, emails, and support from friends near and far was overwhelming. Kind of restores my faith in the human race!

Thanks again. . . Rob

05-Jul-18
Sorry to hear about your home. I hope that they catch the arsonist. Best of luck in the search for your new house.

05-Jul-18
Damn, Rob! That hurts. Sorry to hear this.

05-Jul-18
Pretty sure they caught the guy responsible. Appears he was an illegal alien and had a fire at his campsite get out of control.

That fire sure is eating up a lot of country. Over 96,000 acres now and 5% contained.

We need rain in a bad way up here.

05-Jul-18
Pm sent

05-Jul-18
Star Valley is a great recommendation, I have a good Coast Guard friend who retired to Alpine. I would go there, no problem.

05-Jul-18
Sorry to hear about that Rob.

Did you not like the area or are you just looking for other suggestions? I'd say that's a pretty nice area you had and recommend staying in the same general area maybe just look for a new lot that's not torched.

05-Jul-18
Sorry for your loss

05-Jul-18
Answer depends on if need to have an hourly job.

If do not need an hourly job then Flagstaff, AZ, is about Goldilocks for me in the USA if want nature in all directions. Can drive to most Western big game hunts in 12 hours of driving and most of the rest with a 2nd day of driving. You get the 4 seasons yet never that hot for that long or that cold for that long. Phoenix is a 2 hours drive south if did want to warm up in the winter. Good airport in Phoenix and great hospitals. Some big city entertainment there, too.

If need an hourly job out West then I suggest looking to find reasonable growth with new industries represented. Colorado Springs fits that category. Portland and Boise fit the bill but you are on off to the side of the better hunting in the West rather than closer to the middle. Phoenix also fits the bill but it gets really hot.

I split time between Portland and Phoenix but then I am still working for a few years more. When retire, will likely sell both homes and end up buying a place a full day's drive on the other side of our southern border. I will rarely hunt by then and with kids grown can stay with them if want to visit them and the grandkids for a week. I like the culture and vibe of rural Mexico and am a moderate risk taker who likes a bit of adventure.

05-Jul-18
Sorry about your loss, hopefully this works out better than expected.

05-Jul-18
Really admire your attitude Rob. Thoughts and prayers from WI!

05-Jul-18
I would stay put. Rebuild right there. Then you can watch nature rebuild. Remember, it was 30 yrs ago that Yellowstone burned. Now look at her.

05-Jul-18
So to answer a few questions:

No I won’t need a job. I am 51 and will be retiring in 3 years. This was our retirement home.

Quinn, I did like the area and loved the house. But the hunting has been declining each year with fewer elk. Mulies are still ok, but getting a tag every 5/6 years is getting old. Although the fire sucked, it provides an opportunity for a reset.

We had a large house as we got lots of company. 4bed/3bath, wife wants large kitchen, garage, and workshop for my woodworking. 100+ ac would be nice for potential hunting out back door and general puttering around the property. Close to BLM and NF would be good to have options.

WY intrigues me because of no state income tax, no tax on retirement/pensions/401k/ira/ or social security. Plus less people and sounds like plentiful tags and animals. I need to verify the tag situation and game population. Not sure what region to look. Star Valley recommended above. Also checking out south central WY west of Larime near Medicine Bow NF. Overwhelmed at the moment.

Any more suggestions appreciated!

Thanks again, Rob

06-Jul-18
Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you have the right attitude and are at a good place if you can retire at 51.

No good recommendation here, except NOT CT!

Good luck in your next chapter.

06-Jul-18
Sorry for you and your wife’s loss, Rob! Like others have stated above, your attitude is very admirable!

I think Idaho would be my first choice.

06-Jul-18
"Any more suggestions appreciated!"

What does your wife want? You can drive to most of your good western states in 12 hours like TreeWalker mentions so you will be taken care of as long as you are in the that region somewhere. 100 acres out west seems to be the equivalent of 1 acre in the east - i.e. the game may be on your land for only part of the year. To me, 20 acres that abuts a NF is worth more than 100 acres with private around it.

Best to find an area that your wife enjoys and feels comfortable retiring to and then invest in a good hunting rig for your play.

Maybe investigate if there are areas in the west that average more rainfall so you won't have the yearly worry about the next wildfire (not sure if this exists).

BTW - Your attitude is refreshing here. Losing the house/belongings would send a lot of us into a tailspin but your perspective is positive and forward-looking. Good lesson.

06-Jul-18
Good points Amoebus on the land.

The wife loves the West like I do. Her wants are a big kitchen and 3/4 bedrooms for our friends and family. High speed internet and movie channels also :)

I agree about the rainfall and instead of looking for a place in the mountains, perhaps foothills or in the valley where fire protection would be easier. You’re right, fires would always be on my mind.

As we get older, good health care not too far away becomes important. Also don’t want her to have to drive too far for shopping/groceries/etc.

06-Jul-18
Rob even though I don't know you personally, I feel your pain. I grew up out there every summer as kid. I have alot of friends who have lost everything and now just praying Cuchara is saved. La Veta has a pretty good barrier with the open range land.

07-Jul-18

PO Cedar's embedded Photo
We are camping all over west of the Spring fire waiting news on whether our condo in Cuchara will be saved. It has been over a week and they finally opened up La Veta Pass but Hwy. 12 is still closed and Cuchara Village is still iffy.....

07-Jul-18

We are camping all over west of the Spring fire waiting news on whether our condo in Cuchara will be saved. It has been over a week and they finally opened up La Veta Pass but Hwy. 12 is still closed and Cuchara Village is still iffy.....

08-Jul-18

A buddy pulled my game cam. Crazy photos of the fire coming up the canyon.

08-Jul-18

08-Jul-18

08-Jul-18

08-Jul-18

08-Jul-18

08-Jul-18
Wow! Those pictures are crazy.

08-Jul-18
Wow! Although a totally tragic event those game camera shots are unreal. Sorry again for your loss.

10-Jul-18
The time stamps definitely show how fast those fires move!

Good luck in your search for the next place.

10-Jul-18
Sorry for your loss Rob. I own a wildlife and pest control business and have worked on log homes a lot and on everything from 2 room cabins to a home that's for sale for over $8,000,000. unless you are prepared to do the maintenance yourself or are completely understanding of the outrageous maintenance costs associated with a log home I'd rethink that option

good luck Michael

10-Jul-18
Holy crap that is scary how fast those fires can move. Those are great pictures to share and learn from.

• Sitka Gear