bwallace 05-Jul-18
ground hunter 05-Jul-18
Flash 05-Jul-18
bwallace 05-Jul-18
bwallace 06-Jul-18
Bentstick81 06-Jul-18
04-Jul-18

04-Jul-18
I shoot both. I compete and hunt with both. I’ve never found my compound “too easy”. For me it has everything to do with loving to shoot. I have never had target panic and believe it is because I use a shot sequence and focus on it rather than the target. I use a shot plan no matter what I’m shooting whether it is a bow or firearm.

04-Jul-18
Sounds like you might have some target panic. It may also be an issue with your pins. If you can't see your target acutely through your pins, then you need less pins or a verifier peep, or something else.

04-Jul-18
Are you shooting an older sight with larger pins? The newer pins are very nice and a lot smaller.

I shoot both trad and a compound. I’ve found it takes consistent practice with both to be proficient. I started shooting trad quite a few years ago because for me killing whitetails with my compound became too easy and I chose to shoot trad for the challenge.

-Mitch

04-Jul-18
I switch back and forth about every 6-7 years. I always fill all my tags with my trad bows. i rarely do with the compound. I have some of the same problems. I tend to fight it once I start shooting too much with either bow. Sighted compounds are worse though. So, once I get it sighted in, I just do not shoot much. Or, I'll start getting target panic.

This year I have shot both getting ready for hunting season. I intend to take both elk hunting. I've found switching back and forth breaks the boredom. Which for me is a cause of my target panic. If that doesn't apply to your situation, not sure how to help you. Good luck. Stick with it and God Bless

04-Jul-18
I appreciate the replies. I can see that the problems that I'm having are a good foundation to target panic, but not there yet. I believe TP is an extension of a DSM-5 generalized anxiety disorder. I'm fighting the muscle memory I've learned shooting a recurve while holding and aiming; look at spot-draw-anchor-release vs. look at spot-draw-anchor-move finger to trigger-aim-aim-aim-aim-aim-split attention between pins and trigger pull-release with a smooth trigger pull, not a slap. Finally, realistic expectations should be realistic. I shouldn't expect to shoot as well as I did when I hung up the wheels many hundreds of thousands of arrows ago.

04-Jul-18
You need to learn a surprise release real soon or you will have full blown TP. Bernie Pellerite’s book “Idiot Proof Archery” is what I recommend and don’t skip steps. Based on your posts you’ll understand why I recommend the book a few chapters in.

04-Jul-18
I get target panic. I used to get it bad too. Once you become comfortable and confident shooting your compound, your opinion will change as well.

For me it boils down to this. I can literally sit my compound down, and not shoot for months. Pick it up a year later and within 10 Arrows be hitting a kill shot 5/5 at 50 yards.

I sit my recurve down for more than a month and I feel like I’m starting all over again.

05-Jul-18
Get a backtension or resistance activated release or both, practice with these!

05-Jul-18
Bought an Elite several yrs ago and sit in a case in my shed and may shoot it about once a month, just like picking up a rifle drop the pin on target and hit the trigger and target, just do not get the excitement or pleasure from it like the recurve/longbow. The Super Curves is really a game changer in performance, can shoot a 40# that gets a 50# performance. Comes down what really what you want out of archery/bowhunt and enjoy it.

05-Jul-18
Where are your arrows hitting? Are they all over the target or nicely grouped somewhere besides the spot? Are impact will let you know exactly what's wrong.

05-Jul-18
Arrows impact will let you know what's wrong... Darn phone!

05-Jul-18
I guess my problem is just an overall flinch with a good bow arm jerk and a trigger slap. The solution is to quit jumping from "instinctive" (I know that word hurts people's feelings) traditional archery to carefully aiming at full draw with my compound. I guess I'll stick with what I'm gonna hunt with. Thanks for the advice.

05-Jul-18
I have no idea what you are talking about,,,, I shoot both long bow and compound, what is the big deal

05-Jul-18
I shoot compound, recurve and longbow with fingers. If you are unable to hold/float on what you want to hit, your body is going to automatically flinch. I assume the same holds true with a release. I have dealt with these issues and would be more than willing to help in any way.

05-Jul-18
I appreciate the offer Flash. I'm sure plenty of practice will help. Releases that are handheld scare me; I can imaging a subconscious snap shot taking part of my jaw away with something like that....

06-Jul-18
I think I'll just stick to a release that i fastened to my hand.

06-Jul-18
TP'er here. This will be my 41st year of bow hunting. I've had TP for about 10 years now. I've just learned to accept it, and i am used to it now, and just shoot with it. I just shortened my hunting distance to 18 yards and in. I shoot my compound instinctive. I pull back and anchor for a second or two and release. That's all i can hold for. My recurves i snap shoot. TP definitely stinks.

• Sitka Gear