RutnStrut 05-Jul-18
Bigdan 05-Jul-18
Inshart 05-Jul-18
Shawn 05-Jul-18
Predeter 05-Jul-18
BULELK1 06-Jul-18
oldgoat 06-Jul-18
04-Jul-18
What was your worst truck/vehicle being stuck on/off road adventure while bowhunting in Colorado? What did you carry and use to get yourself out? ( shovel, winch, high-lift jack, chains, etc.)

04-Jul-18
Lion hunting. Broke through the ice over a big and sunk in. All 4 were chained up. Had to crawl out the windows and wade out to solid ground. It was a long walk to where we could get cell coverage. Used all of the above plus conveyor belts and help from another Toyota with a winch. Long, cold, wet, nasty day!

04-Jul-18
Bear hunting in the spring drove around a big snow drift on the way back down got my speed up hit it about 30. 1/2 way through the bronco stopped had to get out drivers side window. Had a winch but no trees there was a barb wire fence took out about 1/4 mile of wire twisted 4 strands together hooked on the only tree on the mtn broke the wire 4 times 4 hours later I was out next weekend took a hole rolled of new wire and fixed the fence

04-Jul-18
"Had a wench"

Bet she was happy

04-Jul-18
"had a wench"

Should have made her walk to get someone to pull you out;)

04-Jul-18
I have always stated, "4 wheel drive and a "wench" will just get you stuck back farther" So be careful out there.

04-Jul-18
Everybody should have a wench for when ya get stuck

04-Jul-18
From my experience, wenches enjoy gettin stuck way back in the woods;)

04-Jul-18
I got stuck in a wench once.

04-Jul-18
None.

04-Jul-18

mrelite's embedded Photo
This was a scouting trip not a hunt
mrelite's embedded Photo
This was a scouting trip not a hunt
Best thing to have is a few really good Bowsite guys on speed dial that know the area and are willing to help you out of a bind!! especially if you decided that it is a drought and way to dry for there to be any mud so you just left all of your get out of a mud pit tools at home.......Thanks again to all who helped, if you are ever stuck in NM just let me know!

No way I was getting out without someone pulling me out. What I normally take, a tow strap/long chains, long and short shovels, a good wood saw, high lift jack and a block of 4x12 about 16" long and a come along or winch.

04-Jul-18
One or two heavy duty "wenches" and chains in the backcountry will get you in trouble every time. HaHaHa. You guys are brutal.

05-Jul-18
73 years young I am not stupid I do not get stuck! If it looks tough I get out and walk to make sure my truck can make it!

05-Jul-18
I been down a bunch of roads I wished I had never gone down that's for sure.

05-Jul-18
When chaseing hounds i sure have gotten myself into some stupid places. Stupid on my part is the key word. Anyway, some high jacks, shovel, winch, recovery straps and chain saws have all been employed at various times.

05-Jul-18

Treeline's embedded Photo
Should have been paying more attention to the road than the cat tracks... Had to use the winch and straps to get to a big enough tree with the right angle
Should have been paying more attention to the road than the cat tracks... Had to use the winch and straps to get to a big enough tree with the right angle
Had to shovel out snow and use the recovery tracks as well as the winch to pull out of the ditch.
Had to shovel out snow and use the recovery tracks as well as the winch to pull out of the ditch.
This one would have been a very long day if I hadn't had the winch and straps.

I bought some fold-up recovery tracks that I keep in the truck that have been amazing for getting myself and others out of the ditch in snow and mud. Saw a great video on making recovery tracks out of milk crates - cheap and more effective in the sand than the board type.

I have a winch and keep a set of straps, D-Rings, high lift jack, shovel, pick, hammer, saw, air compressor, jumper cords, and those tracks in my truck at all times.

05-Jul-18
"73 years young I am not stupid I do not get stuck! If it looks tough I get out and walk to make sure my truck can make it!"

But it took some being stupid or ballsy to get to that point.

05-Jul-18

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Every 4x4 I have owned The First thing I buy is a Winch I ran hounds in Montana for years in deep snow I have used them several times in one day

05-Jul-18
Well, if you are taking a wench, always remember 'it takes a big johnson to get deep into da bush"

05-Jul-18
Me and my "wench" got stuck 35 years ago behind the house in a huge hayfied. She did walk out to the farmers and he came in with a huge tractor. He got off the tractor, hooked on a chain and yoked the truck out, got off unhooked the chain, climbed back up on the tractor and left. He never said a word, I said to my girlfriend who is now my wife what did he say to you when you asked him to pull us out. She looked at me and said he said "K"!! Only thing used was a 200 plus HP tractor and a chain. Shawn

05-Jul-18
Come-along and tow strap are always in the truck and there have been a couple times they were worth their weight in gold!

06-Jul-18

BULELK1's Link
I don't mount a winch on my truck nor Jeep any more as it seems I am always winching someone else out and if I blow my winch-----guess who is stuck paying for the rebuild!!

That said--------->

I use these trac grabbers now on the very rare occasion I get stuck, I use them (4ea in each vehicle) as they don't bust up break lines nor fender wells ect…….

I off-set them so they are not all the same when the tires rotate, yeh it is a little bouncy but it brings me right out and good to go.

#LovinLife

Robb

PS ~~I am trying to find a smaller size for my RZR2 even though I do have a winch on it.

06-Jul-18
Ran into a rock sticking up in the middle of a two track, my truck that I had in there before never had an issue on this Forest road, but I was driving my Xterra this trip. I put her in reverse and backed off the rock, got out, moved the rock and drove onto my destination. It was epic!

• Sitka Gear