Greg S 28-Aug-20
Treeline 28-Aug-20
Chief 419 28-Aug-20
tkjwonta 28-Aug-20
BOWNBIRDHNTR 28-Aug-20
ki-ke 30-Aug-20
BowJangles 03-Sep-20
06-Jul-18
Leave in a week. Can’t believe it’s finally here. Booked this hunt 2.5 years ago and life goes by too fast with 3 kids, wife and a more than a full time job. Don’t usually post my hunts, but feel a little obligated since this is a great bulletin board and I have gotten to share in others adventures for many years.

06-Jul-18
Good Luck! Looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

06-Jul-18
Best of luck Greg! Safe travels and enjoy! Looking forward to the hunt recap already!

06-Jul-18
Awesome!

You will have an excellent adventure and a lifetime of memories to go with this one! Take lots and lots and lots of pictures! Then take more just in case - of everything!

Who are you going with and what are you hunting?

06-Jul-18
Hunting the Liards with Jim Lancaster. Leave next Friday and driving up. Hunt starts the 16th. Still debating some of my gear. Mostly Quivilizer vs my tried and true stabilizer/tight spot combo. Can save about a half lb with Quivilizer...any opinions?

06-Jul-18
Fantastic, all the best, stay safe and enjoy yourself! Please do share when you get back!

I usually go into panic mode before a hunt happens, and i rethink gear I’ve practised with. That usually gets me into trouble. I’m slowly learning. Personally I would roll with what you’ve got, now would not be the time to start experimenting, it’s a confidence killer

06-Jul-18
I am no expert by any means but if it’s tried and true and your go to rig stay with it. Your totally familiar and second nature with it don’t change it before the hunt of a lifetime. Could be the couple extra seconds of getting a second arrrow out of the new quiver design that has the animal disappear or catch you moving versus you keeping eyes focused on target and your hand automatically taking the arrow out of the tight spot without looking. Good luck have a safe drive and take tons of pics!

06-Jul-18
First...best of luck on your Dall! Are you driving up the Canol Rd to mile post 222? I did that last year...neat trip hunting with Canol Outfitters in my case (adjacent to Lancasters) Loved seeing the Mackenzies and hunting there. If you are driving that route and want to chat, PM me your phone number.

I use a Tightspot and no stabilizer on my Prime Rival. Works for me. I always plan to remove the quiver if time allows and wind conditions warrant the change. That said I shot everything except one Coues deer with the quiver on the bow and no stabilizer over the past 46 years.

06-Jul-18
Saving a 1/2# on the bow isn't worth it *if* it causes you to sacrifice accuracy/forgivingness.

Good luck.

06-Jul-18
Best of luck to you. IMO you are about to experience one of the best bowhunts on earth! Looking forward to a full report with pics.

06-Jul-18
All good advice. I shall put my 8 in bee stinger back on. Also noticed there is advantage of protection for my sight that the Quivilizer doesn’t have in the up position.

06-Jul-18
What broadhead are you using?

06-Jul-18
good luck! be safe! I hope you find what your looking for MrC

06-Jul-18
Excellent, good luck...

06-Jul-18
Hunted with the Lancaster’s at Nahanni Butte in 2005. First class operation and really good folks. Be tough mentally and safe hunt.

06-Jul-18
I've only used the quivilizer on a few hunts, one was a goat hunt. Found that on extreme uphill/downhill I shoot better and even though I still check my level, I personally shoot better with it. On the other hand, if you're slower or fumble with it (I did a little at first), stay tried n true. Good luck

06-Jul-18
Good luck. Like Charlie said they are an awesome outfitter you picked one of the best. I hunted with them twice and shot 4 animals. I am planning on going back.

06-Jul-18
I like the quiverlizer especially on hunts like this. I use it in the regular postion when packing in and moveing around and then deploy it when i make a stalk. I shoot very well with it, equal to a side/front bar combo that would be way too much to pack in. Good luck with your hunt!

06-Jul-18
Good luck and take lots of pictures.

06-Jul-18
Good luck! Soak in every moment like it’s the last. It will be over before you know it. And YOU WILL WANT TO BE BACK THERE!! Most magical place on earth and most incredible animals (IMHO).

06-Jul-18
Can’t wait to follow this thread! My dream hunt... Best of luck and stay safe

07-Jul-18

07-Jul-18
First off, best of luck to you and thanks for taking us along. Take plenty of pics. Your time is gonna fly by! Make sure to relax, enjoy your surroundings and remember how lucky you are.

As far as your setup, personally I would not change this late in the game. Some people can and have no issues with it. I personally am not one of them. I have never used a quivalizer but question it in the wind? Seems as if you would get a lot more bow movement on a windy day.

07-Jul-18
Good luck! One of the greatest bowhunts on the planet!!!

10-Jul-18
GOOD LUCK!!!

10-Jul-18
Looking forward to your recap. Have a great hunt. Good luck!

10-Jul-18
Greg,

Go with whatever drives your confidence!

Best of luck!

Mark

10-Jul-18
Good luck, hunt hard, shoot straight!!

Every day is a new day. Greet each one with optimism and wonder!

14-Jul-18
Travel update. Driving up from Astoria OR to make it more of adventure. Day one was slow and awful due to Seattle traffic and a bad crash once in BC. Day two is much better so far. Frazier canyon was really cool to see. Best sign I saw today was “we have beer colder than your ex’s heart!”. Made it to Quesnel for a late lunch. Was hoping to make it to Ft Nelson tonite but don’t think that’s in my best interest so am likely going to have to settle for Ft St John and do 8 hours tomorrow instead of the 3.5 I was planning.

14-Jul-18
Good luck and shoot straight!

21-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo
Day 1 got to camp the evening before I was scheduled to fly out. Jim Lancaster with Nahanni Butte Outfitters was my outfitter and told me I’d be headed into the mountains right after dinner. Bit of a scramble to downsize my gear to what I really needed. Squeezed in a quick shower since could be my last for 10days. First time in a helicopter was pretty cool evening flight into our very rocky camp in a saddle on the Liard Mts.

21-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo

21-Jul-18
Off to a great start! Good luck Greg! Kill a big one!

21-Jul-18
Jim’s stride is twice as long as most men so you’ll have a tuff time keeping up with him:)

Good luck!

21-Jul-18
Brady Lough is my guide which I’m pretty stoked about since I have a hunting buddy that spoke so fondly of him.

21-Jul-18
Look at the sheep trails in the slide on the right side of the photo! Looks like a good spot to start from.

21-Jul-18
Good luck and stay safe, Greg!

21-Jul-18
Good stuff...Good luck!

21-Jul-18
Brady's the man!! You are in GREAT hands. Hunted with him last year.

22-Jul-18
Been to Fort St John many times. I’m looking forward to following along. Good luck!

22-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo
First day hunting was very windy and we went North of camp to look for some rams that had been previously spotted. Only had about a mile of ridge line to hunt before it dropped to the valley floor. So it was an easier hiking day with lots of waiting. Never did find the rams. Did find some ancient sheep beds at the top of the peak where the have bedded for more years than I’ve been on this earth.

22-Jul-18
Second day on the Mt we hunted south of camp. We spotted several groups of lambs and ewes along the way and midday Brady spotted some rams bedded on a rock outcropping. We were able to close in to about 200yards pretty easily. Then as we were getting closer we saw that two rams had gotten up and were feeding right below us about 135 yards but moving toward us and away from the other rams that were still bedded. One was a dandy 9yo broomed on one side and the other was a young ram. We looped back over a small ridge to try to keep up with the ram that was feeding along pretty fast and he was about 125 yards below us all by himself. It looked like if I could go one more small ridge and drop down I might be able to get a pretty close shot as the ram was getting into some brush. The ram started walking towards the brush away from us and Brady told me to “go now”. I turned and tried to cover the 15yds quickly to get to the cover of the small ridge I was going to use to drop to the ram. I only made it half way and the ram picked up my movement! I froze but the ram stared at me for a minute and ran. The only good part was that he continued the way he was going and the other rams didn’t see him spook.

22-Jul-18
Looking back on it I should have either waited a bit more until the ram was more in the bushes or moved slower. I just really felt I could make it, gambled and lost! The ram ran through a huge canyon and just kept going out of sight! Big mistake on my part, but we still had the rams bedded on the rock to go after. We started working the ridge back to our right and got really close pretty easily. The rams were bedded some on the rock, some in this little grassy trench below us about 15yds lower than us. Two pending problems though were the wind which was angling close to the rams and the grassy ridge we were on was feature less so we were having to look over exposing us to the rams view and sky lining whatever we raised up to see. I let Brady look to check and age the rams. He told me that the farthest ram which I could see bedded was was 87yards and not a shooter. I could tell by the way Brady was looking that the other rams were quite a bit closer. Then it all blew up. Brady told me to get an arrow nocked, but the rams all ran down the grassy trough to our right. I had thought there were about 4 or 5 but there were 11. Two were legal and one was close to full curl but Brady said they were all too young any way with the leader probably 7 years old.

22-Jul-18
We were probably about four miles from camp at this point. Doesn’t sound too far really but this Mt range is super rocky and we had probably 4 pretty big peaks to climb over. Lots of loose rocks too that you never know if the rock you step on is stable or is gonna start to roll and maybe not stop for 500yards or more and go over cliffs. We decided to hunt our way back to camp and hoped to come across the 9yo we had spooked.

22-Jul-18
After we crested the first peak and could see into the next basin Brady spotted the ram bedded below a little bench just above some cliffs all the way across the basin. We had to go about a mile to get around above the ram which took about 45 mins. We dropped in where the ram was bedded but there were multiple little benches where he could be. It was really rocky above each bench so Brady hung back and I started with the left bench first and stalked and peaked over. No ram. The third bench I stalked over I figured had to be where the ram was bedded, but no dice! There was a fresh bed in the dirt though where he had been. I kept stalking down just in case I could find him. I never saw him from my perspective and Brady never saw him leave. We couldn’t figure out how he could get out without one of us seeing him and looking back on it I think he was still there somewhere but below where I was I wasnt even comfortable going because it was all loose rock and bluffs.

22-Jul-18
We hunted the way back to camp seeing only ewes and lambs. The I phone tracker showed 23k steps and almost 200floors climbed. My legs felt pretty good throughout. The weighted backpack workouts hiking hills and mountains near my house really paid off. I did huff and puff a bunch though, which I blamed on the fact I live at sea level (my house is literally at 66ft) and we were hunting about 4800 ft.

22-Jul-18
Nice! A lot of excitement and action in 1 day! Keep it coming.......

22-Jul-18
Nice! A lot of excitement and action in 1 day! Keep it coming.......

22-Jul-18
Love it! I’m hooked

22-Jul-18
Slowed down a lot after that. Day 3 was a pretty much a total loss. Woke up to rain and fog. Slept in the tent till noon. Got out after that to eat a bite and stretch. I was chomping at the bit and finally persuaded Brady to hike up the peak behind camp to check the north again at 3pm since. Didn’t see any sheep north and but saw 5 ewes/lambs down the Mt range to the south. Also saw a group of about 15 sheep across the valley on another Mt.

22-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
This after he re-bedded facing me.
Greg S's embedded Photo
This after he re-bedded facing me.
Day 4 started out foggy too. Wasn’t raining too hard but fog was way too thick to hunt. Finally got out around noon and went south. Then fog came back and we stopped for two hours. There were two ewes each with a lamb about 400yds away watching us that didn’t seem afraid. Once the fog left we had to gently get the ewes to move so we could continue. There was another group of ewes and lambs we could see down the range about a half mile. Then I saw a lone sheep bedded with my naked eye on this perfect little grassy knoll. I suspected it was a ram and a quick check with my binos confirmed my suspicion. Brady also confirmed it was a shooter. The ram was broomed on one side and had his tip on the other. Brady aged him at 9yo. The problem was it looked like we couldn’t come from the top because of rocks and the ram would be in sight. We decided the best approach was to slide on my hip straight at him hoping when I got close enough the pillar he was on would block his view. Then I would have to wait for him to get off and come off the upside of the pillar, which looked likely to happen since it was straight down off the front side. He was bedded facing mostly away from me and at times he would put his head down and sleep. I had to go about 300 yards on my hip at a snails pace stopping when he looked around. The first 200 yards I was able to move pretty consistently only stopping maybe 50 times. Then the ram got up and stretched and peed. After 5 minutes he re-bedded facing 180 degrees. I was probably about 250yds from him with at least 200yds to go to get any sort of cover. Now every couple movements I made he would look my way and I’d freeze. My camo worked really well though because he would stop looking after about 30seconds. The mosquitoes absolutely were lighting me up especially when I had to freeze. The stalk and the bugs was definitely a mental test of strength. I kept going but he started looking a lot more often. Then I heard rocks sliding and rolling. I didn’t know what it was but thought maybe Brady had backed off and was trying to distract him to help me be able to move. After 15 minutes I saw that 7 ewes/lambs were feeding around below the ram rolling the rocks. He got up and stretched again and looked down at the ewes. Then he looked right at me for a couple minutes and re-bedded facing almost right at me. I kept trying to move because I had to if I was to have any chance, but 6 inches became enough to get his attention and any chance of reaching the cover became very unlikely. The ewes kept coming and eventually got to 65 yards in front of me. They eventually crossed my wind and spooked, which caught the attention of the ram who stood up and started looking upwind (not at me). You could see he was trying to figure it out but after 5 minutes or so he trotted off the knob towards me. He then started walking and looking upwind still trying to figure out what had spooked the ewes. He walked to 129yds and then decided to run over the ridge. I got up and started to follow just in case he came back. My feet were asleep from the last position I had frozen in. Which made walking pretty hard for the first hundred feet. Then the ram came back over ridge, but then ran again. He did this 3 times before I could get to the top. Once on top I was trying to look down the side he had ran on and came face to face with him at less than ten yards! He bolted and ran down hill and stopped. I ranged him at 60yds and drew...

22-Jul-18
Awesome!

22-Jul-18
Oh man! This is awesome

22-Jul-18
Patiently waiting....

22-Jul-18
Waiting for more! Thanks for sharing, I'm hooked till the end! Get that ram!

22-Jul-18
As I was going through my sequence the ram bolted never to be seen again. Needed about another 1-2 seconds to make the shot. Was a long walk back To camp I felt really mentally tired from the stalk, mosquitoes and the dejection of not getting a shot off.

22-Jul-18
That was dirty....hehehe

Great job so far. Excited for the finish!!!

22-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo
One more pic of the ram that Brady took when he was looking at the ewes trying to figure out what had spooked them.

22-Jul-18
Cool pic!

22-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo
I was willing to stay at our current camp and keep going after the ram or even walk further if necessary in search of more rams, but Brady felt the ram was probably very spooked and the outfitter decided he wanted to move our camp so we moved 12 miles south. The second camp was much nicer. Lots of soft moss to sleep on and we could even get a tent stake to go in! Had to wait another 12 hours to hunt so we had a long nights sleep.

Day 5 started great with clear skies. We had a rough hike north from camp though up to the ridge. It was a huge rock formation peak with as steep as you handle on one side and no way around bluff on one side of the ridge. There was a gap in the rock that Brady tried to get up through. I thought he might fit but was not sure if I would. I took my stabilizer off in preparation to try but Brady couldn’t even do it so we had to risk the shale buff side to get around to a bigger gap in the formation. Once on top we stopped to glass and Brady spotted the rams working up through the canyon toward their beds on the finger ridge. There were 5 rams with two being past full curl but one being 7yo and noticeably thinner and one being heavier and Brady said he thought he was at least 10yo. They bedded on a elevated nob on the finger ridge about a half mile out in front of us. Two ewes each with a lamb came out of the opposing basin and bedded between us and the rams. It looked impossible to get to them especially since the 3 small rams were bedded on top of the nob looking our way and the two older rams were out of our sight out on the front side of the nob. We were able sneak down to about 200yds to the ewes and 400yds to the rams. We had no other play so we locked down there...for 7 hours watching thunder storms and rainbows pass through. Even a few lightning bolts were seen. We spotted about 30-40 more sheep spread throughout the main ridge and several fingers we could see to the north of us. There was a group of 7 rams on the next ridge to the north of us that looked interesting to me but Brady said were too young. I could tell he liked our position and the old ram we were waiting on.

22-Jul-18
You know, double rainbows are good luck:)

22-Jul-18
Very much enjoying this :)

22-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Some ptarmigan that landed 10 feet from us as we were waiting for the fog to clear.
Greg S's embedded Photo
Some ptarmigan that landed 10 feet from us as we were waiting for the fog to clear.
The seven hour wait was long but patience has always been a strength of mine and Brady and My personalities meshed really well. We even might have caught a little snooze in the warm sun. Now one thing that has been mentioned before by other hunters is that the guides at Nahanni Butte Outfitters won’t push you to use the guides rifle to kill your sheep. They understand bowhunting and I’m sure would rather take a rifle hunter, be done in a day or two back at camp but each year the guides still bite the bullet and take a bow hunter each year even if it means 10 days in the mountains, fighting the bugs, sleeping on the rocks, some days of double digit miles in some of the toughest country on earth. At some point on day four Brady told me he wasn’t suggesting it but was just curious if I would want to use the rifle to harvest a ram on the last (9th) hunt day. I had set a goal 15 years ago to get a North American sheep or Mt goat with my bow. I have put for bighorn tags in Oregon for over 25 years unsuccessfully and put in all western states for 8 years now trying for a sheep or goat tag. I even came on this hunt thinking killing a Dall Sheep was the goal. After two days on top of the mountains I realized the I wasn’t really there for the goal of killing a ram as much as I was there just to be chasing rams in the pristine wilderness with my bow. I had already decided that the biggest thing was the opportunity just to be there and that I would give it everything I had to get a ram with my bow, but if I felt like it would be my last chance I would use the rifle even if it was day 5 or 6. As long as I’m down this path I figured I’d mention how emotional this hunt was. There was at least 5 times that just thinking about things brought tears to my eyes that I hid from my guide. Once was when I thought how awesome and supportive my wife was to take care of our three kids solo for two weeks so I could pursue this dream adventure. The other times were just breaks when I would try to fathom the reality that I finally was on a sheep hunt with my bow.

22-Jul-18
Love the story! Can't wait for the next chapter!

22-Jul-18
Keep it coming Greg!

Mark

22-Jul-18
Great story!! Keep it coming!!!

Been watching Facebook and I'm excited to hear the final part of this story!!!

23-Jul-18
So the rams we were after were determined to bed all day. Even the rams on the next ridge bedded after ours and got up and fed off a couple hours sooner. Finally at about 6pm the two younger rams we could see stood up stretched and fed off the nob. We knew it was our chance to make a move since we couldn’t see the ewes anymore and the rams slipped off the north side of the ridge. Brady got us down the ridge and onto the south side of the ridge. We crawled over where he had last seen the rams and crawled within 5ft of a bedded lamb that we didn’t know was there! The lamb just looked at us for a couple minutes and then walked away to our right. It could have blown all the sheep out but it didn’t. With the lamb gone we could raise up a bit more and saw the five rams about 125 yards to our left and feeding away. We quickly backed off the ridge and moved further down to a rock pile. They were still 80 yards away and Brady asked if I wanted to get closer...Yes was the answer so we repeated our move popping up at the next rock pile. This was the most perfect place for us. The rock pile was actually two large flat standing rocks that were about 3ft high and six feet long there was about 2-3 feet between them where we were. It was like a natural blind. Brady tried to get a reading with my range finder but said he wasn’t getting anything so he gave it to me. I suspected it just needed a little more clearance above the rock I was behind and the reading was 44.8yds. The rams were just lower than us but quartering away pretty hard. They were clueless we were there. I did my best to remain calm and get through my shot sequence. I stood and drew and realized I was close to the rock with my lower limb so I leaned back against the rock behind me, which made me even more stable. I ensured my anchor point was good, string had a clear path. I then got my sight centered and level. I split my 40 and 50 pins on the last rib and started to squeeze. The bow went off and I tried to make sure to follow through. Unfortunately

23-Jul-18
Come on man, don't leave us hanging!

23-Jul-18
Thats where you end the story for the night!? Wtf

23-Jul-18
Dang it! Hate it when that happens!

23-Jul-18
Are these silly cliffhangers really necessary?

23-Jul-18
I hit the ram about 2in lower and 2in right from where I wanted it. The 430gr Easton Axis arrow tipped with a Trypan did its job though entering right in front of the left rear leg and exiting out the right armpit. A diagonal pass through. The rams hooked down and right but the ram was hurt bad and blood was gushing. The big guy could only walk slowly and stopped aft about a 100yds and just stood in the funky posture of hurt.

23-Jul-18
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! Now, how am I supposed to get back to work!?!

Awesome story! That emotion you experienced shows that you KNOW what a privilege it is to hunt sheep in one of the most incredible places on earth.

23-Jul-18
Great recap I’m hooked

23-Jul-18
Awesome story brings back memory’s of my sheep hunt. It’s an amazing experience. Brady is a great guy. Congrats on your sheep he is dead

23-Jul-18
Great story so far but come on, the suspense is killing me!!!!

23-Jul-18
I’m hitting to road so I’ll finish it tonite when I stop to sleep.

23-Jul-18
Nice! Kevin

23-Jul-18
Damn, maybe Greg should change his name to “Alfred H”!

Set the hook and play us out:)

Can’t wait for the rest of the story! And more pics!

23-Jul-18
The 4 younger rams were very confused and could no doubt see us but wouldn’t leave there leader. He didn’t want to move and one of the younger rams even walked up to him and sniffed him. He finally walked a little bit and dropped into a cut where we lost sight of the rams. We decided to backtrack and get our packs up the ridge. I continued to stop periodically and glass trying to see into the cut. It wasn’t very big or deep but just deep enough to hide the rams. Then the four younger rams came out and walked away. Brady and I both agreed the old ram had likely died or they wouldn’t have left him.

23-Jul-18
I then realized I didn’t have my rangefinder in its pouch so after getting our packs we went back to the rocks where I had shot from and there it lay. We briefly talked about how long to wait, whether to give him 1hr or a safer 6 hours due to the slightly lower hit. Brady was confident that he was either dead or that he couldn’t get away at this point so I briefly looked for arrow which I surprisingly didn’t see. Brady got on the blood trail and soon said even that blind piano player (don’t know if he meant Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles) could follow this blood trail. There was a lot of blood and I slipped on a bloody rock and almost fell. As we approached the lip of the cut I knocked an arrow and stalked forward. I tried to keep Brady behind me but he was so excited Then he came up next to me and actually spot of the ram better yet still very alive

23-Jul-18
Was about 50yds with correction, prob over 60 los. I backed offand dropped down even to the ram an ranged him at 32 yards. The only problem was I was behind him and he was so old and skinny on his front half that I had butt, virtually no shot at his vitals because of the backbone.

23-Jul-18
He’s bedded in addition and I know there’s a scapula pushed back. I drew and it was windy so I let down and took off my quiver. It helped some but not enough as I tried to slip the arrow in a 2in wide maybe 5 inch high window on the right side of his spine. It didn’t work and he jumped up at the sound of the shot. I thought it had cut his side glancing along his side and ribs but Brady saw it truer from up the ridge and was later confirmed by a hood nearly sliced in half that I only hit his foot. He was hurting but walked out to 61 yardscompensated. I tried a quick shot as he started to walk and missed! He slowly walked out of sight and we followed. We caught up to him and he was standing facing away at 30 yards but as I tried to get a stable footing he started walking again before I could shoot. He went about 60 yards and bedded. It was a downhill opportunity that was 55yds compensated. This time he was quartered away though giving me a paper plate sized target at his vitals. The shot flew true...

23-Jul-18
And hit the ram perfectly. High lungs down and forward lodging in the brisket. Very likely cutting the heart in half. The ram jumped up took about two steps and augered into the rocks and never moved!

23-Jul-18
Great hunt, success and storyt....looking forward to the photos! Nothing like your first ram...or almost nothing that is! Congrats!

23-Jul-18
Sweet! Let’s see some pics.

23-Jul-18
Sweet! Awaiting the pics as well!

Congrats!

23-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo

23-Jul-18
Nothing beats a sheep story....Congrats

23-Jul-18
That is a heckuva nice ram. Congrats and well done!

23-Jul-18
Beautiful ram!

23-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo

23-Jul-18
Well done! Is he over 40"? Nice, nice ram.

23-Jul-18
That is way cool! Way to go. It’s a real tuff hunt and you should be very proud and humble.

PS: I cried a few times as well while there:) That’s what it’s all about!

23-Jul-18
Awesome RAM! Congratulations! Love that flared out look!

23-Jul-18
YES!!! CONGRATULATIONS! That thing looks old and skinny. Nice work and thanks for sharing!

23-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo

23-Jul-18
What a story! Thanks for sharing.

23-Jul-18
Great post and even better ram. He was a old one that’s for sure wow. Hunt

23-Jul-18
He was really skinny in the front half. No fat on him and a very bony backbone. Aged at 11yo.

23-Jul-18
Awesome. Congrats

23-Jul-18
Awesome story with a great ram at the end! Congratulations Greg! well done!

23-Jul-18
What a story! Thanks for sharing.

23-Jul-18
Congrats!!!

23-Jul-18
Incredible hunt! Congrats:)

23-Jul-18
Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

23-Jul-18
Beautiful looking ram.......congrats

23-Jul-18
Congratulations. And thanks for a great post.

23-Jul-18
Badass. Thanks for the story and congrats! Dream hunt

23-Jul-18
Way to go! Hell of an accomplishment!!!

23-Jul-18
Congrats on a beautiful ram. Thanks for sharing!

23-Jul-18
Great job! Congratulations! Mike

23-Jul-18
Congrats! Hunt of a lifetime right there! Thanks for taking us along.

23-Jul-18
Great adventure!! Congrats!!

23-Jul-18
Awesome! Congratulations! Bucket list for sure.

23-Jul-18
What a ram! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

23-Jul-18
Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

23-Jul-18
What a great recap and what an old stud! Congrats and thanks for the story!

23-Jul-18
Congratulations on a super hunt and ram. Thanks for sharing.

23-Jul-18
Awesome

—jim

23-Jul-18
Congrats on the great hunt! It finally came together for you, and I bet you're sure glad you didn't use the rifle on him. Awesome job!

23-Jul-18
Congrats on an old sheep he wouldn’t have made it through winter. Awesome hunt thanks for sharing.

24-Jul-18
Kscowboy he was taped on the hillside by Brady at 12.5 on the bases by 36.5 long on both sides.

24-Jul-18
Wow! Great story and a huge congrats on an awesome old warrior.

24-Jul-18
What a story and accomplishment!

24-Jul-18
Beautiful animal in beautiful country. Congrats, you earned that one!

24-Jul-18
Congratulations on a great hunt and great ram.

24-Jul-18
Congrats !

24-Jul-18
That was a Great story and an Awesome ram...Congrats!! The perfect animal to take, looks like he wouldn't have made another season anyway!

24-Jul-18
Congrats!!!

24-Jul-18
I've been following the thread for a while, and was getting worried about the ending! Congrats!

24-Jul-18
Awesome hunt. Great job with write up. Thanks for sharing with us!

24-Jul-18
Now that's how you get it done! Nicely done Greg! What a hunt...and thanks for bringing us along. Awesome! Kevin

24-Jul-18
Thanks for sharing the emotional parts of your hunt. I think that's why mountain hunters love those high places. The mountains seem to distill all the effort and striving and yearning down to a point where it has to come out. And, when you actually make it happen, it just doesn't get any sweeter. Congrats and enjoy it.

24-Jul-18
WOW wow wow. What a story - I'm so glad I only saw this thread now, cause the waiting to read the next chapter would have killed me! lol. Congrats on an awesome ram and way to appreciate what you were doing. So awesome.

24-Jul-18
Congrats on a great Ram! Thank you for sharing your great hunt.

24-Jul-18
Beautiful ram and a great story to go along with it.

I hope to do this someday. Love reading the recaps, thanks for sharing!

25-Jul-18
Outstanding! Only problem now is that you probably have the sheep bug. I will bet that you are already thinking about a bighorn or stone. Welcome to the sickness...

25-Jul-18
Congrats on a great ram and hunt!

25-Jul-18
Congrats on your success!

Do you have any live pics of that ram you can share?

25-Jul-18
Great story and ram. Congrats!!

25-Jul-18
Good job. Congratulations.

25-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Wife’s OR CA bighorn 2009.
Greg S's embedded Photo
Wife’s OR CA bighorn 2009.
We didn’t take any live pics of the ram. He was bedded on the far side of the nob out of sight most of the day.

I caught the sheep bug in 2009 when my wife drew a CA bighorn yah in OR and I got to play sheep guide. Up next for me is Cougar and Mt Goat. With those two I reach the Super 10 with my bow. I would love to book a stone hunt for my 50th birthday but this hunt almost ruined me financially so it’s gonna take some tough decisions to make the stone happen.

26-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo

26-Jul-18
I’m so envious of your hunt and how it played out. Congratulations again. Please share more pictures of the hunt if you would.

26-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo

26-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo

26-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Guess the warning signs were warranted!
Greg S's embedded Photo
Guess the warning signs were warranted!

26-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
A little nerve racking...but I’ve suffered through twice now!
Greg S's embedded Photo
A little nerve racking...but I’ve suffered through twice now!

26-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo

27-Jul-18
Great ram and story! Congrats.

27-Jul-18
Congrats on an epic hunt, Greg! Awesome story as well. Thanks for sharing it with us.

27-Jul-18
Great story! You earned that ram. I was in your position last year and wasn't able to close the deal. Not a day goes by that I don't relive that hunt. It is for sure an accomplishment of a lifetime, in my book. Congrats. I am certain you will wake up and think about that hunt every day. Can't put a price on that!

27-Jul-18
WOW! Great story and recap. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get back to the mountains after reading a story like this.

27-Jul-18
Greg. I had planned a good work morning prepping the house for painting BUT then I found your post. Nicely done all around and I felt the preparation, the pain, the anticipation, and the final rejoicing through your words and pictures. I hope you get to fill your bucket list in the near future. my best, Paul

27-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo

27-Jul-18
That thing isn't wearing a seat belt!!!!!

27-Jul-18
I put it on after the pic! If you are 11yo you also don’t need a booster seat!

27-Jul-18
What a nice ram. Bet you looked at it all the way home!

27-Jul-18
Great story and thanks for sharing! Book the Stone’s hunt, you won’t regret it. Even more majestic country!

28-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Found a pretty sweet brewery in Prince George on way home.
Greg S's embedded Photo
Found a pretty sweet brewery in Prince George on way home.

28-Jul-18
Outstanding and great recap...Congrats!

28-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Good sized grass fire right in area. Hopefully improves the sheep habitat.
Greg S's embedded Photo
Good sized grass fire right in area. Hopefully improves the sheep habitat.

28-Jul-18
Way to go! Super nice ram! Thanks for sharing your hunt.

28-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Think they need a new power pole! (Right across from sheep sign)
Greg S's embedded Photo
Think they need a new power pole! (Right across from sheep sign)

30-Jul-18

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo

30-Jul-18
Congrats!!

Great story, pics and even better ram!!!

A perfect old ram to get killed!!!

Do you have any pics of his teeth?

Mark

30-Jul-18
Mark, The fronts weren’t bad. I didn’t check the molars or take any pics.

30-Jul-18
Excellent ram!!! Great story telling! Congratulations on a job well done.

30-Jul-18
Brady's the man!! You are in GREAT hands. Hunted with him last year. Saw an IG post today ??

30-Jul-18
Well done!! Those sheep steaks on the grill bring back some very special memories.....

28-Aug-20

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo
Finally got my ram back and up on his new cabinet.

28-Aug-20
Absolutely beautiful mount!

Congratulations again on a fabulous hunt and ram!

I’m gonna go back and read this one all over again:-)

28-Aug-20
Beautiful Mount! Who did you use for taxidermy?

28-Aug-20
Mount looks awesome, and thanks for bumping the thread so that we can all read through it again. Great stuff!

28-Aug-20
Great mount. Was fun to read the story again as well!

30-Aug-20
Enjoyed reading that almost as much as the 1st time! Congrats again on a great ram and an incredible adventure

03-Sep-20
Hell of a ram and what a story! Congrats to you sir!!!

• Sitka Gear