Dale06 08-Jul-18
Linecutter 08-Jul-18
wyobullshooter 08-Jul-18
HDE 08-Jul-18
Mathewshootrphone 08-Jul-18
Russ Koon 09-Jul-18
Anschutz 09-Jul-18
07-Jul-18
I have shot the same five arrows 1000s of times at at targets. They refletched when needed. I noticed I was getting poor arrow flight on a semi regular basis. I switched out to the some newer arrows of the exact same brand and spec and the problem of poor arrow flight went away The well used arrows look ok, but I’m wondering if they lose some spine or weaken after so many shots. Any thoughts?

07-Jul-18
Like everything else in the world, aluminum and graphite both have “shelf life”.

If you have shoot arrows 1000’s of times- you got your money’s worth. Move on an buy new shafts.

07-Jul-18
Man maybe my shaft is wearing out,lol

07-Jul-18
Arrow shafts!

07-Jul-18
I've noticed the exact same thing, and I've read what Greg said. The carbon fibers evidently weaken over time and your spine goes to hell.

07-Jul-18
What about if they sit in a box (never shot) for ten years and then you begin using them? Are they still new or do they rot just sitting in a box with time?

07-Jul-18
Charlie- they would be classified "never used, rotten".

"Using" (the flexing of aluminum or graphite) does have a bearing on shortening shelf life. I know this is particularly true of arrow shafts, fishing rods and golf shafts.

07-Jul-18
Aluminum, fiberglass, and carbon fiber boats take a pounding for years. That said, if you’ve ever had a carbon fiber arrow bow up on you, it can be ugly. Always inspect your shaft for things that where not there before, then go see a doctor, ;)

07-Jul-18
If they do, I hope it is after I do...………………….

08-Jul-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
When used correctly....they wear out pretty fast

08-Jul-18
Kill more animals with em and you'll break em quick enough that they wont wear out.

08-Jul-18
Couldn't say..... never owned one that long......

08-Jul-18
Idyllwildarcher, I’m trying. Killed two turkeys a brown and a black bear so far this year. Haven’t broke an arrow yet this year.

08-Jul-18
I don't know of anything that when stressed enough over a long period of time that doesn't weaken to some extent. Also with carbon when exposed to sun and the elements (lost carbon arrow being found much later) I have noticed they become bittle. As mentioned it maybe the resins holding the carbon fibers together that degrade with stress that cause the weaking. DANNY

08-Jul-18
It makes sense that shafts could weaken after being shot 1000’s of times. They go through some pretty violent flexing, both when leaving the string, and when they strike the target. No facts, just my opinion.

08-Jul-18

HDE's embedded Photo
HDE's embedded Photo
This one only lasted one shot...

08-Jul-18
Yes you can shoot the spine out of your arrows over time

09-Jul-18
I'm with JTV on this one. I shoot a lot of practice, always enjoyed the shooting even when not hunting, and shoot at distances of 40 yards or better most often.

Have seen absolutely no evidence of fatigue affecting either accuracy or durability, and my arsenal includes many shafts that have been with me for more than a decade and at least a few thousand shots.

I do shoot shafts that are stiffer than the charts recommend, both now with my Bemans and back in the days when I shot Goldtips. I have always maintained that you can't be overspined when shooting modern center-shot compounds, especially when using d-loops, and any spine stiffness lost to age and use would be extremely hard to detect if it did exist.

Now back in my aluminum days, it did seem that my big 2219's would eventually weaken slightly, especially the ones that I had straightened a few times. The new ones always seemed to hit best, and were almost always used with BH's in the approaching season without experiencing much if any target shooting first.

09-Jul-18
I haven't had that happen but mostly because I tend to muck something up on the 3D course and send it into a rock or something. I could see it happening though as through the stress of shooting and the breakdown of the glue that holds the carbon together would cause it to lose stiffening. No facts, just how I could see it happening.

• Sitka Gear