LKH 23-Jul-18
grape 07-Aug-18
Charlie Rehor 07-Aug-18
spike buck 07-Aug-18
TrapperKayak 08-Aug-18
grape 08-Aug-18
grape 08-Aug-18
08-Jul-18
I have a couple Bear hunting trips into Canada this fall. There has been some mention of new protocol crossing into Canada from the United States as of July 1. This is apparently in regards to tariffs. Has anyone experienced these new regulations on goods entering Canada? What are some ( if any) of the new requirements at the crossings? Did these new regulations affect the timeliness at your point of entry? Any experiences since July 1 would be appreciated. Thanks

08-Jul-18
Hmmm.....will have to watch this thread.

08-Jul-18
I doubt it will affect you crossing just imorters like walmart . I'm sure in the end I will be paying more not you. Not sure what trump is trying to do but it has me totally confused.

08-Jul-18
Well, I’m going to BC on Tuesday, fishing. Guess I’ll find out.

08-Jul-18
Please let me know. I came out last week from a fly in in Ontario..we went in on June 24. Everything was the same as usual. Very interested if things changed. There is very little info available other than July 1 there were to be new tariffs on stuff coming into Canada. I'd appreciate any info if there are changes since last week.

08-Jul-18
Get Chris "Spickebuck" Pine Acres, he posted the rules and guidelines on another post. groceries will now have to pay duty. Chris post on his post 44 Yrs of bear hunting: So....the tariffs on groceries will get complicated if you don't have your receipt for your purchased groceries brought into Canada from US. If you show them a receipt they will go down the list and highlight was tariffed. For instance Hunts Ketchup is not on the list but Heinz is. Certain liquors are on the list but not all. Certain beers are tariffed. If you do not have a list (receipt) of your groceries and the agents are bored they will have you pull everything out and go through it item by item. There was someone being pulled apart while we were there because of no detailed receipt.

Just be prepared and everything will be fine. Chris.

08-Jul-18
The only issue for US tourist is with *** groceries, alcohol and tobacco.*** Have a detailed receipt for your groceries is what she told me to tell my customers. It will effect big time us Canadians as many shop in the US for supplies, from groceries, bear bait and other large items.

She even asked me if I had my truck repaired in the states as the repair work and parts are taxable for Canadians.I paid $51.00 more than last time because of the retaliatory tariff. She told me anything that I bought that was made in Canada was not tariffed such as lumber made in Canada. I crossed on Saturday the 7th.

08-Jul-18
Yeah I crossed in and out over the 4th with no changes/hassles.

08-Jul-18
Know 2 hunters last week that flew out of Maine to TN....at maine airport they asked them to lock their gun cases and then they tried to open the cases....one case the attendance said the case was not airline proof as they could get there fingers in the side of the case with the padlocks on.....so there are some cases that are not allowed to be used on flights in USA from now on....i believe this was a new law as well in USA. The hunters were surprised as this was the first time they had heard of this new rule.

08-Jul-18
We had a group in today that brought groceries and some liquor, they had to pay for certain items.... they had their receipts ready like I told them. They crossed over in Emerson.... The agent was surprised the travelers were prepared when they were asked about groceries. Just have your receipts at the ready when and "IF" asked!!! Its as simple as that!!!

09-Jul-18
Chris, Thanks for your response. As always if you are prepared, border crossings go smoothly. I guess one of my biggest questions would be: Won't this cause border lines and times to become a problem? There will be many people not prepared....especially for a while....Greg

09-Jul-18
I have crossed 8 times since then, nothing out of the ordinary

09-Jul-18
Just have your receipts...I am sure they still like our tourist spending in Canada.

09-Jul-18
I have never been asked for grocery receipts

09-Jul-18
Just buy groceries once you're there......

09-Jul-18
For non residents Scoot, just groceries and bear bait. Anything you would consume or use up in Canada "that is on the Tarriff list" not all groceries are on the list. Agents will go through the list.The wait will depend on how many are unprepared and mostly**** How bored the agents are****. As Grubby said, not everyone is being pulled over!!

As SteveB said, "just buy your groceries in Canada!!!"

09-Jul-18
^^^ true, true!

09-Jul-18
I'm going back and forth every weekend to our cabin and back. The usual things like duty free stuff is questioned. No always works. My friend and I were all ready to buy used boats in the US larger market. Even with the dollar exchange, prices were way cheaper. Now since our fearless leader is afraid to negotiate tariffs, we're being slapped with a 10% tariff on a used boat made with Canadian aluminum. I'm not sure on any other tariffs though.

15-Jul-18
It has been two weeks since this new procedure was to take place at the border. Anybody have new experiences to share at border crossing?

15-Jul-18
In on the 3rd with elk, deer and groceries. Beer and hard cider too. No one asked about the groceries.

15-Jul-18
L$H Where did you cross?

15-Jul-18
No problems here

15-Jul-18
Int'l Falls, MN/Fort Frances, Ont.

16-Jul-18
Non-residents will still have exemptions for Alcohol/Tobacco dependant on the length of visit to Canada. Those exemptions haven't changed and the tariffs are not imposed on items that are covered under exemptions.

To see a list of items that the countermeasures tariffs, follow this link: https://www.fin.gc.ca/access/tt-it/cacsap-cmpcaa-1-eng.asp

23-Jul-18
Any Tariff issues crossing the boarder this week??

23-Jul-18
I went through customs in Vancouver on July 10. I had nothing but a couple changes of clothes. Was smooth and fast. I think that the Canadians hassling hunters/fishermen/tourists would be pretty stupid on their part. But it is the government, so logic is not always in play.

23-Jul-18
I hear horror stories about Canadian customs but in spite of numerous trips have never had any serious issues. Only unusual one was entering the Yukon from AK with a U-Haul full to the gills. Zero traffic and after the bored agent had me there for 15 minutes talking hunting I told him I had to go. He laughed, wished me a safe journey and sent me on.

07-Aug-18
I started this thread because of upcoming trips to Canada and rumors of new restrictions at the border because of tariff issues starting July 18. I have crossed within the last week into Ontario. There were no issues, no new questions at the border, and everything seems the same as prior to July 18. Thanks Greg

07-Aug-18
Great! I thought maybe you were delivering a new Tundra to one of your Outfitters! Ha!

07-Aug-18
Our fishers are crossing without a hitch now.

08-Aug-18
Crossed into Ontario and back during July, nothing different except they looked in our cooler coming back.

08-Aug-18
No delivery Charlie.....just American cash!

08-Aug-18
By the way Charlie...I will hunt with an old friend of yours soon...Chuck DeLeeuw.

• Sitka Gear