md5252 10-Jul-18
Paul@thefort 10-Jul-18
APauls 10-Jul-18
3arrows 10-Jul-18
LINK 10-Jul-18
Brotsky 10-Jul-18
Shug 10-Jul-18
09-Jul-18
I am sure this topic has been debated before.. But I am curious as to opinions and facts of what is better and why? I currently shoot a full carbon Gold Tip arrow.. I am considering switching to a 6mm FMJ.. I would go with the 50 grn brass insert and 4 fletch with AAE max vanes.. This arrow would end up being around 480 grns.. Similar in weight to what I shoot currently.. My arrows perform well, but I am always searching for any edge I can get.. A few things i don't like about the Gold Tips, is to get that extra weight up front, i have to use that FACT weight system, and i always have a fear of one of those weights coming loose ( I do use Loctite) at the worst possible moment and screwing up a once and a life time shot. That would be avoided with a brass insert.. I feel like penetration would be better with the FMJ, no facts to back this up, but just seems like it would be sturdier arrow. Thoughts??

09-Jul-18
I've shot both and really like both. I personally prefer the FMJ 5mm's. Biggest advantages for me of the FMJ's are ease of pulling out of targets, heavier gpi (I like a heavier arrow) and I think they are a bit more durable. I practice regularly out to 100+ yards.

09-Jul-18
I prefer all carbon for the durability

09-Jul-18
I shoot FMJ's and consider them to be slightly less durable than a full carbon. I like the ease of pulling out of targets and shoot them for the heavier weight.

09-Jul-18
I have always liked Gold Tip arrows. But after switching to FMJ's a few years back, I have noticed an increase in penetration for sure. My FMJ's come in at 500 grain, where my Gold Tips I only got to a 450 range. The FMJ's hit and penetrate very very well.

Only down side to the FMJ is they will take a bend after a bunch of shots into a hard packed target, like a Spyderweb.

09-Jul-18
I don't like the FMJ's because they are susceptible to bending. There are a lot of good heavy carbon arrow options.

09-Jul-18
I switched from Gold tip to axis and never looked back. I went with axis instead of FMJ for a couple reasons- aluminum can bend, carbon will be straight or broken. Some say the fmj tip can mushroom due to the aluminum while carbon won’t. Also I rather the weight up front for FOC. Get the axis and put the 75 gr brass insert and it will be the same as the fmj with the 50 but better foc.

10-Jul-18
Been using fmj's since they came out, not changing anytime soon

10-Jul-18
Shot FMJ’s for years, then switched to Axis w/ brass insert a couple years ago for the reasons wildwilderness pointed out.

10-Jul-18
Longtime FMJ shooter, likely will switch over to Axis at some point for the reasons mentioned, probably the 4mm injexion with the titanium half out insert. If you shoot a heavy arrow out of a fast bow and don't use the BAR you WILL mushroom the tips of FMJ's. I can show you a stack of them. Great arrow, great penetration, but some concerns that are outlined above.

10-Jul-18
Full carbon. If your going to shoot FMJs you might as well just shoot aluminum. The FMJs bend the same and cost a lot more

10-Jul-18
Tried the FMJ shafts but after bending a few, went back to Gold Tips full carbon. Currently purchased a dozen Kinetic 340 shafts, 9.9 gr per inch., cut to 28.5 inch. Fletched with 4 in vanes and shaft rap., added a brass 12 gr collar up front with my 125 gr BH. Total weight 492 grs. Good FOC. Shooting from a 64# compound bow, tons of penetration and knock down power.

10-Jul-18
One very minor thing I almost like about a FMJ is that once it is worn it will bend and get tossed. When a carbon splinters and blows up on a bow freaks me out, at least the FMJ has the aluminum as backup. See those pics of guys with splintered arrow shafts through their hand and that's gotta suck.

10-Jul-18
md5252 x2

10-Jul-18
Like Dino said, lots of heavy carbon out there. I shoot Gold tip kinetics. Pile drivers are a good option too.

10-Jul-18
To be fair they do not "bend like aluminum". They can and will bend but not nearly as easily as your standard aluminum arrow. I have shot FMJ's for probably 8 years or so, in that time I think I have bent 3 arrows and in the instances they bent any arrow would have been in trouble.

10-Jul-18
I had only shot aluminum arrows before switching to FMJ 7/8 years ago... so I’m ok with the occasional bent one... on the other hand I’ve seen 3 guys send cracked carbon arrows through their hand... and while the odds are against it happening I’m just lucky enough to be the 4 th

• Sitka Gear