oldgoat 13-Jul-18
GotBowAz 13-Jul-18
oldgoat 13-Jul-18
12-Jul-18

toomanytoyz's embedded Photo
toomanytoyz's embedded Photo

toomanytoyz's Link
Anyone used one of these?

Only hiking in about mile and a half from main trail. Will gain almost 2000' in altitude. We generally stay in base camp about 5 miles away but want to start closer to the elk.

12-Jul-18
I been looking at Big Agnes but that's a great price.....if it had two doors and was 2 man I'd be all over it. 3 man is awful big for a bivy tent.

12-Jul-18
rei

my link didn't work

12-Jul-18
How many people will be sleeping in it. If you're sleeping more than one and can distribute the wait, it shouldn't be too bad.

12-Jul-18
Packaged weight is 4# 14 oz. rounded out to = 5# not bad

12-Jul-18
The dimensions are almost identical to my BA Fly Creek HV UL2, except it (the MH) weighs 2 pounds more. But that's a great price, and if you are only going in 1.5 miles it's fine.

IMO it would be a great one-man hunting tent, with two would be tight, with three it would end up being a one man tent after the fight and the two losers end up outside.

12-Jul-18
2 people.....my son and I, he is 25. This is listed as a 3 person tent. Weighs under 5#.

12-Jul-18
OH. I've been looking at the copper spur UL2 and I agree. I like the footprint/fly combo as a truly minimalist setup. For me a two man tent is really a one man but I'm always trying to save on packing size and weight.

12-Jul-18
Sorry, I misread the dimensions. Two of you will be fine so long as you also take a siltarp for your gear outside. A "3 person" rating means three average sized people can squeeze in like sausages if they are related or very good friends and have no gear inside. The weight is pretty good for a "3 man". Many 2 man backpacking tents are in that same weight range. For that price I think it will work well for you.

12-Jul-18
Thanks guys. I had search some of the threads here and was looking for a good deal on BA Seedhouse SL3 when this one popped up for less than half the price. Its on its way and maybe i can give some type of review after Sept when i have used it a couple weeks. I also got a new Marmot Never Summer 0º down bag new from Sierra trading for $169. It came loosely rolled in a mesh type duffle bag. Should i not roll it tight and put it in a stuff sack to save room? I know the loftness of it helps with warmth rating but its twice the size it could be as far as trail ready.

12-Jul-18
Always store a down bag loose until you're ready to go. I hang mine from pegs. Then when you take it out of the stuff sack at camp shake it in several directions to let the down "breathe". There should be a compression sack in the loose bag somewhere. I cringe when I go in a man-cave and see a great down bag crammed into a stuff sack on a shelf.

12-Jul-18
A good rule of thumb is a two man is good for one, a 3 man can work for 2. Also, get one with a full rain fly that goes all the way down on all sides. Those with the short or half rain fly not what you want, other than in your backyard.

13-Jul-18
Jaquomo, I cringed at the visual of you going into a ManCave. :)

13-Jul-18
I don’t know your preferences but, luxe hiking gear makes a mini tipi that sleeps two And gear just fine. Weighs 2 pounds. The key ground cloth weighs about 2 ounces. I bought. Foot print off eBay that fits nicely for $13. Just something g to consider.

13-Jul-18
WV, I was going to suggest taking a look the Luxe tents. I just purchased the 2 person mini teepee and the inner tub with no-seeum net which I will be using this August. I read a ton of reviews and felt this would be the best tent to suit my needs. The weight and price was right as well. I also picked up a SilTarp for shade or rain. I hate being stuck in a tent for anything other than sleeping. Looking forward to trying it out.

13-Jul-18
I agree. I had a jimmy tarp Hudson. But, had no earthly reason for a stove jack in a spike tent. So, I sold it, bought the luxe mini on sale, the inner nest, and put $100 in my hunting fund.

I’ve used it quite a bit. I’m finding out I like it better without the inner tent. Using just a floor. They are great for the value. Thanks Mule Power

13-Jul-18

oldgoat's embedded Photo
oldgoat's embedded Photo
Just buy a good tarp and keep in your pack all the time, use for rain shelter during the day by just covering yourself up like a big blanket and to sleep under at night if you have a Basecamp available if weather turns real bad!

13-Jul-18
Old goat, I do like that set up, saves room and weight for sure but the last time I slept on the ground like that I got chiggers bad which is the reason I picked up the netted inner tent.

13-Jul-18
Don't have any chiggers where I go! I don't think chiggers like me anyways, never got them when I lived where they do.

• Sitka Gear