Boatman71 13-Jul-18
CCOVEY 13-Jul-18
RD in WI 13-Jul-18
Zim 14-Jul-18
Bowriter 14-Jul-18
Bou'bound 14-Jul-18
Pigsticker 14-Jul-18
13-Jul-18
So, I have always shot using gloves/tabs, and I am shopping releases.

What should I be considering/looking for? What do you use and like, an why?

13-Jul-18
I prefer a trigger release w/ a buckle wrist strap and hook. Most important feature IMO is zero trigger travel. If you feel a little give in the trigger before it fires, it can result in a case of the Yips as you anticipate the shot. This, in turn, can lead to full-blown TP. Stay away from a hair trigger for the same reasons. A hair trigger is a disaster waiting to happen. I also prefer a head that has a trigger forward design. With my short DL, I need all the help I can get.

I shoot a Carter Rx1 for all the reasons above. Regardless of what style release you decide on, do yourself a favor and learn how to shoot it correctly from the get-go. That will keep any problem from raising it's ugly head. Develop a surprise release using backtension to fire it rather than commanding the release to fire by simply squeezing the trigger. In other words, allow the release to fire rather than making the release fire.

13-Jul-18
Go to YouTube and do a search for John Dudley. He has some great videos on releases.

13-Jul-18

Boatman71's Link
This is a good one.

13-Jul-18
He has many others, but that one will get you pointed in the right direction. Good luck and enjoy!

13-Jul-18
agree 100% with Wyobullshooter.

13-Jul-18
I have a pile of releases. If you shoot a release properly by back tension, they should all work. Carter Just Be Cuz and the Spot Hogg Wiseguy work for me because the trigger has no creep and I can shoot it as John Dudley recommends in the video link above. I have watched a ton of John Dudley's videos - he is super helpful, has a great "can do" attitude, and is a blessing to people who struggle with shooting well or want to get better. The same could be said for Randy Ulmer as well. Good luck.

14-Jul-18
For god’s sake do a lot of research before embarking on this journey. I have run the full gambit of problems and solutions...proper equipment, approach, and practice is critical. I would start with John Dudley’s school of thought. I currently practice exclusively with back tension releases in order to avoid Target panic.

14-Jul-18
PapaSmurf-My question is, why are you going to a release? Unless you are getting into serious tournament shooting, why complicate what should be a simple maneuver? I shot fingers for 33-years. Tried a couple different releases, briefly, saw no reason to continue using them. I was never a tournament shooter, had no use for "tight groups". I only hunted, worried only about the first shot. I tried a couple releases due to the extremely high amount of shooting I did on a daily basis. (testing and evaluating bows for different companies.) Wanted a little "relief" for my fingers and found that in a glove I sorta cobbled together. So, bottom line, if you have been shooting bows for a while and doing okay with fingers, why change? I have always wondered at some of the hunting setups I have seen. I wondered, why would a hunter, so willingly add so many devices that require thought, tuning, adjustment and are prone to failure, etc, to a situation that may provide a shot at the animal of a lifetime. On two occasions, I have been guiding hunters, who at the moment they should be preparing to shoot, were frantically looking for their releases. In one case, the animal was a 350+ bull elk and the release was in camp. So, I would suggest, first define why you want to use a release. Next define why you think it will help you. Then, give it a lot of thought before you complicate an exceedingly simple thing.

14-Jul-18
John I felt the exact same way until about 10 years ago when I asked myself why are 95% of compound shooters not using fingers and I changed and never looked back.

14-Jul-18
Most of today’s compounds are not conducive to shooting with fingers. Shorter axel to axel length equates to finger pinch. I shot instinctive with fingers for twenty five years. Using Dudley’s release method most people cannot keep up with fingers.

• Sitka Gear