Jaquomo 20-Jul-18
Lever Action 21-Jul-18
Vids 22-Jul-18
Jaquomo 22-Jul-18
Missouribreaks 23-Jul-18
Jaquomo 23-Jul-18
RutnStrut 23-Jul-18
15-Jul-18
I have been shooting one form of a bow or another since I was 10 and I look forward to shooting everyday. I even keep my bow in its case in our living room. Given how much fun the sport is, I wonder why it is not more popular? Any thoughts on why something so fun and gratifying isn't more widely pursued in the United States?

15-Jul-18
I guess it all depends on where you’re saying it isn’t “popular”. At least in Cheyenne and the areas I hunt here in Wyoming, there are WAY more bowhunters than there used to be. Every year seems to be more than the previous one.

15-Jul-18

Kodiak 's Link
Almost 22 million archers in the USA.

15-Jul-18
It's not something you can just pick up and become proficient with on your own. Not readily accessible for urban youth. It's not "exciting". It is a discipline and most people these days are somewhat undisciplined in their lifestyles. It's a pursuit you have to seek out and really want to do.

Think about this - the National High School Sports Federation now offers varsity sports letters for online gaming. There are more gamers than all physical sports participants combined. How many high schools offer a letter for archery?

15-Jul-18
Mainly the digital age. People and kids are more interested in social media. I think it has to do with a lot of folks aren't exposed to archery unless it movies. Also a lot of people live in the city and are urbanized.

Our club has JOAD but more kids do baseball and soccer.

It is steadily declining even though organizations and states have made it more easier to hunt archery, epesically for youth.

It's sad to see the decline.

15-Jul-18
It's not something you can just pick up and become proficient with on your own. Not readily accessible for urban youth. It's not "exciting". It is a discipline and most people these days are somewhat undisciplined in their lifestyles. It's a pursuit you have to seek out and really want to do.

Think about this - the National High School Sports Federation now offers varsity sports letters for online gaming. There are more gamers than all physical sports participants combined. How many high schools offer a letter for archery?

15-Jul-18
I don’t know the numbers but how on earth could there be less archery hunters than 20 years ago. The total archery challenge shoots sell out in February...the public land otc areas around me are crawling with guys all season long. They absolutely were not in the 90’s. Maybe western hunting is exploding and the rest of the nation isn’t but I see no visible decline in fact it’s just the opposite from my perspective.

15-Jul-18
Well said, Jaq.

15-Jul-18
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=110&dat=19551101&id=tUsxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=rEIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4518,2783960

15-Jul-18
My wife loves gardening and sewing - two pursuits she began in her thirties. She suggests that disciplines like archery are not easy to master and require a degree of dedication that few (relatively) are willing to give. Additionally, she reasons that they are not easy to get involved in initially and often require a mentor of sorts. To be honest, 22 million is way more than I expected. Thanks for the info Kodiak.

15-Jul-18
I remember going to shoot at the indoor range only to discover it was packed with tweenage girls after the Hunger Games came out. Very cool to see new shooters getting started

15-Jul-18
Archery and golf are skilled sports that require discipline and practice in order to achieve proficiency. Sadly, "discipline" and "practice" and no longer words found in the younger generations vocabulary or dictionary .

Today it is about cell phone, apps, games on phones and computers and social media.

I went to a 3-D bowshot yesterday. It was sad to me to watch people all aged people more involved during the round on their cell phones than they were in getting their heads focused in on the bow shoot. "Is it my turn to shoot?" was the question of the day. Really pathetic.

15-Jul-18
Seems like the cool thing to do for all the bro brahs lately. Seems more popular than ever right now

15-Jul-18
I'm not sure that archery is not very popular. It seems its popularity has surged in my area greatly........granted "my area" is a very very small sample size.

I would also dispute the notion that you can't just pick up archery and become proficient on your own. That describes how I and quite a few of my friends/acquaintances got into archery.

15-Jul-18
It’s like any other sport some people do it some don’t. A lot of people love to golf but I have no interest in it and doubt I ever would.

15-Jul-18
Simple answer it ainty cheap to be into archery and you have to use more than your thumbs!!

15-Jul-18
Is there an app for that?

15-Jul-18
Let's not confuse "archery" with "bowhunting". There are more bowhunters now even as overall hunter numbers continue to decline. But many of those are multi-season, multi-weapon hunters. Someone who hunts with bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, rifle and shotgun doesn't equate to five hunters.

Also, when "archers" are counted in the surveys, it includes crossbow shooters and also people who shot a bow one time in the past year. I wouldn't consider either of those to be archers in the literal sense.

15-Jul-18
Shooting and outdoor recreation is still strong. Just lots of things for people to do and things get fictionalized. People have more ability to hunt out west and more guys do it then even 10 years ago before the recession. Now that the economy is booming there is pent up demand. Everyone wants to hunt out west and social media really drives that desire. I call it the Born and Raised effect! Learning archery is really pretty easy. In just a few minutes you can google everything you need to know about archery. You can get expert advice on what bow to purchase, how to properly set it up, correct arrows to use, best target, and get expert coaching on perfect form. Video yourself to check everything with your cell phone and be shooting tight groups in no time. Learning new things is easier then ever! "Google is your Friend"

15-Jul-18
I am and HS educator at a title one school (more than 50% of students are on free or reduced lunches) in the metro Phoenix area. Many of may students love hearing about my trips and they will ask if they can go. Granted, not all students are interested but when I say that I bow hunt they become more interested than if I say I am going on a rifle hunt.

A large percentage of my students come from single parent or very dysfunctional homes. They want to do things in the outdoors but they don't have anyone to take them. When people talk about this younger generation and they say they are always using computers or watching TV I kinda laugh. Today's students computer skills are much worse today than 20 years ago and they lose interest in most movies after first five minutes. The biggest game changer is the growth and popularity of their cell phone usage and social media. Nothing even comes close and they don't know how to turn it off or use it responsibly. Sorry if I sidetracked the topic but in way I think it relates to why archery isn't popular with today's youth.

15-Jul-18
well I can tell you that in my place in Wis, we have thousands, shooting in 4H, and our winters leagues are packed, since no kids are turned away, and we start the first week of December and their leagues end in April, since we have to set schedules, with so many kids

we have lots of volunteers, and most guys are very generous donating used equipment for kids who need it, and we have fun raisers. summer trap and 3D shoots to raise money for the kids, who need some help

15-Jul-18
Same reason not everyone likes to bass fish. Same reason not everyone likes golf, running, or mountain biking.

15-Jul-18
Bowhunting is more popular than ever where I live! General unit hunts that have been a guarantee are no longer. Point creep for all archery draw hunts is increasing every year (you only get a 1/2 point per year closer to drawing). The extended seasons that allow all archery hunters are very crowded...even during the week. Limited, first come-first serve archery elk tags that used to sell out in June/July are now gone in December. It's crazy!

I'm not really complaining, but the situation does exercise my brain more and more each year as I reach for alternate places and strategies for punching a tag.

15-Jul-18
Archery has declined by a lot in our area;we used to have four shops with-in forty miles ,we have none now.Few 3D shoots,used to one about every week end with in easy driving distance. I blame it on the changes in muzzle-loader season,shoot about what you want with a scoped rifle.Another is the youth are not real interested(in hunting a least). I have had a archery stamp for 45 years and still hunt with a bow.

15-Jul-18
So how would an average kid, without archery in the family try archery?

After that there's the cost

15-Jul-18
"Let's not confuse "archery" with "bowhunting""

I'm guilty of that. I immediately went straight to bowhunting. Quite frankly I don't think I have participated in an archery event in at least 6-7 years.

15-Jul-18
Lou, Greg, and Knothead all made good points. Lots of places folks live you can't "fire a weapon". This includes bows. Even if you legally can, lots of them don't have the room. Money is another kicker. It ain't cheap nor is it quick and easy. It requires concentration and practice.

Every where you go young and middle aged folks are clutching cell phones like it's their wallet. Four guys meet for lunch, all pull out their phones and there's little to no conversation at the table. What the hell are they even meeting for ? A family eats out at dinner and the kids, even little kids, are on their phones between bites. I've seen it many times.

15-Jul-18
The average kid would need to find a 4-H program or similar in his area. Equipment is provided. Cost is usually minimal to zero. There are 4-H programs in nearly every state although it might take a bit of effort to find them.

15-Jul-18
Why do you want it to be more popular??? I don`t....I wish there were LESS people interested in bowhunting. Every swinging you know what has a bow in the woods now and a lot of them shouldn`t be.

15-Jul-18
Bowhunting is very popular. A little too much so for my taste especially with crossbows in the mix.

Archery...I've been shooting a bow since I was 4 years old and just never felt the competitive juices there. I've shot a grand total of 2 casual 3d events in my 26 years of shooting. I shoot by myself for ample practice and enjoy it, but it is definitely practice for hunting. Golf and baseball do it for me, competitive archery really does not.

15-Jul-18
It’s tough. I’ve love seeing folks take up archery and bow hunting, and do everything I can to get others into it. Bring archery catalogs into work, take folks to pro shops to get set up, give away whatever extra gear I have whenever I can. Even bought bows for a few folks when money was tight. But a lot of folks just can’t justify it. The lack of places to shoot, the cost of even relatively inexpensive start up gear. Granted, most are my age and have new families to take care of. Could change in the next 15, 20 years I suppose.

15-Jul-18
"Bit of effort" is the key. Then if the kid lives in town he can't shoot in the backyard. And all his friends are playing soccer, single mom works and doesn't want to spend every Saturday taking the kid to the range that may be some distance away. Lots of dynamics in play, many of the same which contribute to lack of youth hunting recruitment.

15-Jul-18
"Why archery isn't more popular?"

Easy/peasy................There's no "APP" for it!

15-Jul-18

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
I have no idea how anyone in a city would find a way to get involved in it on their own. Plus there is too much else going on. WRT kids and computers...... Knothead nailed it, they really don't know computers at all anymore where not long ago all the kids were into them. A cell phone and game console are not computers. Social media, 30 second video clips and games..... they've made it so easy a cave man can do it....

Popularity..... it's in pop culture, seems to be growing in that way. Hunger games, etc. Just saw ads for the new Robin Hood movie... looks pretty awesome.

All honesty..... if not for bowhunting I would shoot a bow little to none. Never done 3d in my life. Same with boating, if it weren't for fishing I have no reason to deal with one..... and I've had a couple, a 19' and a 24', along with a commercial license over the years.

But luckily there IS bowhunting and big game fishing...... =D

16-Jul-18
We have a three year waiting list for our club, never seen a bigger interest thanks to recent movies like Brave and Hunger Games and whatever movie Hawkeye is in!

16-Jul-18
I think the biggest reason that archery isn't more popular is that most city/suburban people don't have a safe place where it is legal to shoot.

16-Jul-18
We had 20 shooters at our last 3d shoot. 10 years ago we would have 125 to 150.

16-Jul-18
Probably the biggest reason is because it's not that fun.

I enjoy shooting now and then, but I LOVE bowhunting. But in all honesty just plain shooting a bow repetitively especially in a range really doesn't turn my crank. Think about your average range that someone can go to: 20 yard range, a few lanes and shoot at some colored circles...over...and over...and over... and over...and over again. Why isn't it more popular? Why isn't darts more popular? They're very similar. Like HDE says, more activities are more fun for most people.

While there was a spike of kids shooting after the whole Hunger Games thing, I would venture that's all but gone already. After their first 60 rounds of shooting at a red paper circle they decided it wasn't nearly as exciting as hunger games and moved on.

16-Jul-18
Hmm. Lot of good posts but the fact is, there is no one answer and those that think bowhunters are not on the decline, are misled. All hunters are on the decline. In fact, all outdoor sportspeople are on the decline. Just because one state or one segment maybe static does not indicate it is a blanket fact. It is easy to say, "loss of habitat, electronics, cost etc." are causes and you would be correct. But there are far more reasons and they all work i concert. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a longterm cure or fix.

16-Jul-18
Bowriter is correct!!!!

16-Jul-18
APauls, I honestly think that's why a lot of people turn to traditional bows. They're much more challenging,..and hence much more fun to shoot.

20 years ago I got bored with my Mathews, so I tried a recurve, and it put the FUN back into shooting a bow.

I recommend to everyone to try one out.

16-Jul-18
Most rifle hunters I know have converted to archery.

16-Jul-18
Kodiak, I also shoot a recurve and a longbow :) they are much more fun than a grad bow, but mainly cause I’ll walk around and fling at dandelions etc. Make me shoot at paper and I’d gag

16-Jul-18
I like shooting at a block at 20...with a recurve.

For me, target shooting a compound is just not fun. I shot a turkey with one this year, and that WAS fun.

I'm not sure which bow I'll be using in Colorado this year. Probably both.

16-Jul-18
Archery in Schools is big here.

16-Jul-18
there are vastly lower number of bow hunters where I live compared to 20 years ago.

16-Jul-18
Was just down to the local sports shop w/ archery lane and asked the manager why the decline on the archery lane, he said since the cross bow have became popular the sales has been replacing the compound sales and doesn't require the practice. He said in about a month the uptake on the archery lane will start and fall off. He reduced his shooting lanes to several to increase other products. Went to the skeet/sporting clay range and seen the fall off also, not many if any young people participating either.

16-Jul-18
I agree the recurve is way more fun to shoot. I’m bored with the compound but always say one more round with the recurve.

17-Jul-18

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
Maybe organized attendance at various tournament shoots seem to be in decline but I don't think bowhunting & back yard shooting is.. I mean, I remember the Deer Tags issued in Illinois in the mid 70s (residents only then) being a whopping 5000. I remember Bowhunting Elk & Mule Deer as a non resident & buying the combo tag for $25 & never seeing another bowhunter/camper in 2 weeks on public National forest. Buying a NR Wisconsin Deer tag in the 60s for $10 & rarely see others hunting but our group for a week. Ya can't say that now.. That kid is 45 now.

17-Jul-18
Didn't know it was, there will always be more rifle hunters than bow hunters...There isn't as much hunting with younger people, but that's been going on for awhile...To much video games, cell phones, and PC, locked up lands, to expensive over all to hunt....

18-Jul-18
There will never be a shortage of hunters nationwide not now nor in the near future despite what a lot of folks believe. Get out from your posted "estates" and hunt the public,might sing a different tune then about the decrease of hunting numbers. Just telling' it like it is on this side of the fence.

19-Jul-18
There is definitely a difference in younger folks in least my family about hunting or fishing, cleaning and killing game. None of my grown grandones think much about shooting something and putting it on the table, and they sure don't go down the road like my friends and I did, and look at intresting property with trees, fields, ravines, or creeks and ponds and see opportunities.

However, it depends on where you're at. Worked for OSU at an agricultural research station in Stillwater, OK from 2009 till 2014, and there were more bow hunters, both young and old, than you can shake a stick at. All types of shooters with self bows, recurves, longbows, and wheelie bows. They all wanted to shoot that second season, and all of'em enjoyed their sporting good equipment, making arrows, and many would attend a 3-D sometime during the year. Most drove 4x4 bubba trucks with stickers on their windshields and they would spend their last dime on the latest and greatest sporting goods equipment. They were primarily closet shooters, not avid shooters, till the fall. That's when those feeding station photos showed up. Shooters showed up early in the morning and late afternoon at theat time of year at the University's archery practice area.

Archery Club's were in towns 40 minutes north and 40 minutes southeast of Stillwater, and there was a 3-D every month a little more than an hour's drive away. there was even an archery shop south of town. All this contributed to archery's local popularity. OJAM is also held each year just south of Stillwater on a local farm.

Where I live now in FL and NY, I could go to a local party and ask about someone's best deer camp or if they have gone out on a cold day lately and scared up a few rabbits, and within a few minutes, I would probably be standing all by myself.

19-Jul-18
MN resident archery licenses

1995 - 70,056 2016 - 92,076

Not much of a decline in MN. In the Twin Cities there are archery ranges scattered around. I shot at one in Bloomington while my son was playing summer hockey at the local rink.

19-Jul-18
I can only surmise,

Perhaps there's a lack of public archery ranges and or space to shoot a bow and arrow. Most cities, villages, towns have an ordnance against shooting / discharging bow's, gun's etc. inside town limit's.

If there is an archery club available perhaps any and all youngster's should be allowed to shoot free. Shouldn't be that hard to come by a few low poundage bow's / equipment. Perhaps re-curve's or long bow's are the place to begin. Compounds, even used one's can be cost prohibitive to a youngster.

Maybe just maybe it would encourage a few more youngster's to fall in love with our passion ?

19-Jul-18
I have two boys, 17, and 13. Neither one is interested in Archery. The oldest will hunt a little with a rifle, and do a little fishing. But the main interest is cell phone and Computer. My youngest is not interested in anything but computers and cell phones. And that's it. I started bowhunting aggressively in 1981. But I have shot bows all my life, starting with a little red fiberglass Bear recurve when I was very young. I started shooting a bow for hunting reasons. I still shoot for hunting reasons only. I'm not and never have been interested in 3D competition or any kind of competition. I shoot both compound and recurve. But I shoot and hunt with the recurve most of the time now. Like stated above it's really not much fun anymore shooting a compound. If I'm not stump shooting with my recurve I shoot it in the back yard at a 3D target most of the time. I do shoot at a bag target sometimes. I think that cell phones, computers, and social media will eventually be the end of hunting as we know it today.

19-Jul-18
I keep reading posts about the decline of hunting and bow-hunting, even from people here in Montana. There is certainly no decline in bow-hunting numbers in Montana. Bow-hunting licenses sold: 1990-20,000, 2000-26,000, 2010-41,000, 2017-49,000.

19-Jul-18
The population of Montana has gone up about 25% since 1990, and the number of bow-hunters has gone up about 250% in the same time period. So while there are no numbers on people who just do archery in the state, I think it would be fair to say that there are a lot more people shooting bows based on the bow-hunting licenses sold.

19-Jul-18
Bowhunting is increasing in popularity among those who hunt. Lots of reasons for that.

Overall hunter numbers are declining nationwide, which is an indisputable fact based upon individual hunters who buy licenses. Lots of reasons for that also.

19-Jul-18
“Hmm. Lot of good posts but the fact is, there is no one answer and those that think bowhunters are not on the decline, are misled. All hunters are on the decline.”

Haha not here In Illinois on our public land. Crossgun hunters are exploding to exploit the previously gun protected rut. Quality nosediving at an even more rapid pace.

19-Jul-18
"There will never be a shortage of hunters nationwide not now nor in the near future despite what a lot of folks believe. Get out from your posted "estates" and hunt the public,might sing a different tune then about the decrease of hunting numbers. Just telling' it like it is on this side of the fence."

This is dead on.

20-Jul-18
RutnStrut, the documented statistics don't back that claim up. There is absolutely no data anywhere indicating that hunter numbers are not decreasing, and aren't about to decrease dramatically over the next 20 years. If you guys have something that contradicts all of the data from USFWS, individual state licensed hunter data, NSSF studies, Population Dynamics Lab studies, please post it up. Would love to see it.

20-Jul-18
Hunter numbers are down, way down.

The primary reason is simply access...or lack there of. Out west you still have vast tracts of public land, but get east of the Rockies and that all changes in a real hurry.

For many, finding a place to hunt is simply not worth the effort anymore. 30-40 years ago it was easy...but times changed.

20-Jul-18
Kodiak, you're on target. I just started a new thread about this. Even here in the West so much private land that was accessible 20-30 years ago is now locked up, pushing more hunters onto public. The "way back" fad among younger hunters makes it seem like more hunters are in the backcountry - true. Older hunters (average age of hunters is now just over 50) are being locked out of many public land areas they grew up hunting as more and more road closures occur. (BHA folks will love this until they grow older or suffer a physical affliction...) This has led to more concentration and less hunter dispersion in many National Forests.

20-Jul-18
I can't speak for out west, but here in WI there are more people participating in bow season. Bowhunting was growing in Wi before crossbows were forced upon us. Now that the crossbow hunters get to use their superior weapon during archery season. We have even more "hunters" tromping around. Be careful what you wish for when you cry for more hunters, you may get it.

20-Jul-18
RutnStrut, yes, there are more people bowhunting in the West too, but overall hunter numbers continue to slide. More of the remaining hunters are bowhunting. And with more and more closures of private land it pushes those hunters who used to hunt private onto the public. Our archery elk camp was one of only three In the whole valley for decades. Now you can't find a place to camp in that valley, and almost all the camps are nonresidents coming to hunt elk on cheap unlimited OTC tags.

Can't blame them.

20-Jul-18
That data seems to me could be slanted or flawed as far as the so called demise of hunting numbers. If the USFWS call all license buyers hunters, than heres is where it get muddied. A person buys a gun hunting license and bowhunting license ,plus small game license and turkey license,then decides they only want to hunt say gun deer license that year but not the other. You end up having a decrease of three "hunters"do to not buying the individual licenses, yet you have the same individual hunting. If thats how USFWS does there stats then its flawed as far as actual hunter numbers etc. No decrease here in the mid west as far was hunting goes.As I mentioned hunt public and you will find out. Even if there is a so called decrease it has to happen anyway as land resources are decreasing do to population increase, industrial and agricultural use etc. Hunting numbers will have to decrease period.No way of getting around that. Unless one wants a "sardines packed in the can" experience.

20-Jul-18
I get a kick out of most of the people who are on the we need more hunter bandwagon. When they should be on the we need more huntable land bandwagon. The account isn't in the black just because you have a shit ton of blank checks.

20-Jul-18
When I was a high school custodian,I was a friend with a middle school gym teacher.they had an archery class back then.I would help get the bows set up with nocking points and string and cable check out.and check thier arrow supply.well time came to help carry out target butts and bows and such.I wasn't allowed to help cause I was just a classified employee,not certified.different unions.archery class has since died.

20-Jul-18
Depends on access to the sport. If you have plenty of clubs offering shoots locally, it generates a 'buzz'. If shoots are few and far between, not so much. I live in central Mass. and most every weekend I have a choice of two or three 3D shoots within easy driving distance. In sparsely populated areas, that isn't the case. Interest is harder to generate and maintain. The politics here sucks but the archery is fine ;-)

20-Jul-18
I'm not sure why people want there to be more hunters either. Here in Montana wealthy out of state individuals like the Wilks brothers are buying up huge tracts of land, and shutting them off from hunting, also attempting to block of access to public land for hunting. Net result is that there is less land for hunting. Like I said earlier the bow-hunting numbers in Montana have increased immensely over the last 25 years, so more hunters and less land available for hunting is not a good scenario. I guess some people fear that if there aren't enough hunters then hunting rights may be taken away or something, but the fact is that hunters are only a small percent of the total US population and that is unlikey ever to change. Like RutnStrut said, we should be pushing for more land to hunt on, not more people to hunt on a shrinking amount of land.

20-Jul-18
Actually, many landowners allow hunting, they just prefer to hunt with family and friends and not allow the uncontrolled general public. I have no issue with that, they own the land.

20-Jul-18

Vids's embedded Photo
We went to range the other night, there were 5-10 kids under 15 there. My 5 year old and I had fun and all 3 of my kids love to shoot and watch hunting videos with Dad.
Vids's embedded Photo
We went to range the other night, there were 5-10 kids under 15 there. My 5 year old and I had fun and all 3 of my kids love to shoot and watch hunting videos with Dad.

Vids's Link
In 2017 the number of license holders is 15.5M vs 14.8M in 2015. It was 15.4M in 2016. Looking back in time and doing some very rough math, 4.8% of Americans had a license in 2017 and 8.1% had a license in 1958. So yes, there is a long term decrease in percentage of Americans that hunt. However, in 2015 4.6% of Americans had a license compared to 4.76% in 2017.

One fact is hunters have never been a huge demographic, but do we need to be?? If someone has data to show the huge decrease in hunter numbers I'd be curious to see it. I just don't see it over the last fifteen years according to USFWS data.

As far as archery goes - face it, it's a niche sport. It's not that fun to shoot at targets (for me anyways) so I can see why iPads and video games are more attractive to kids. The best we can do is get kids involved and if they like it, great. My niece is a great example. She's the last person in my family that I thought would like it, and she has been shooting for years up to national competition level.

20-Jul-18
VIDS, I've seen USSF data that uses a different metric which shows a gradual decrease, though mostly flat over the past 15 years. As a percentage of the population, it will continue to drop but as you said, that's to be expected for a number of reasons. Where its going to change is when the Boomer Bubble ages-out over the next 20-15 years. There is no corresponding bubble coming behind. Game departments across the country are very concerned about the upcoming loss of revenue and struggling to figure out what to do. But we hunters wouldn't mind a few less hunters...

21-Jul-18
Lots of reasons. Archery isn't what it was, starting back when it was in it's hay day. Today, the manufacturers are not concerned with bringing in anyone who isnt prepared to spend a small fortune. The war like mentality of hunting shows and the people that follow such, are maybe as big a problem. No outsider (aside from a madman) would even go near a group that acts/thinks/talks like the today crowd. A damn long way from Fred Bear and Howard Hill, who were the ambassadors to the sport who collected the greatest number of newbies. Today, I see people in the sport that act pretty much as nuts as the far left in politics. Seriously. As a coworker said.... No sane person is ever going to take any church seriously, who has a preacher who talks to snakes.

22-Jul-18
Jaquomo - The oldest of the baby boomers would be 72 now, I would imagine they've already started phasing out. My Dad is 75 and is purchasing fewer licenses than he was 10-15 years ago.

I agree it will change when the Boomer Bubble ages out, but that just is what it is and the fish and game departments need to account for that in their budgets. The Boomer Bubble is an artificial spike in sales that was only going to last so long. It affects every aspect of the economy - housing, job market, etc. Interestingly, if you look at the historical data, the highest level of sales was in the 80s and 90s. That would be exactly when the Boomers are in their 40s/50s which would be when they have youth and disposable income on their side to go hunting. Makes sense to me.

Lever Action - Re: your opinion on today's people in hunting. I think you're seeing the wrong people. Check out Steven Rinella, Cam Hanes, Randy Newberg. Also, Joe Rogan is a Hollywood guy that is getting into hunting and very vocal about it. There are many good voices out there. I do agree the hunting shows on TV are dumb, I don't bother watching most of them.

I'll share a quick story with you. I was mule deer hunting in a new unit last fall. Ran into 5-6 guys in their early 20s - loud talking, wearing flat brim hats, when I first saw them I figured they would be a bunch of cocky jerks. They ended up being some of the nicest, most respectful guys I've ever met in the woods. Gave me pointers on where to go, invited me to come along with them to check out some areas they know, tracked me down to tell me where they saw a nice buck I could go after, etc. I think the future of hunting is bright.

22-Jul-18
I met two guys last who have recently taken up rifle hunting for deer and elk in their late 30s. Neither was exposed to hunting before. They just decided one day there years ago that they were going to do it, bought guns and gear, have spent the last there seasons backpack hunting where it was tough hunting, with no luck.

After our first day of me mentoring and poring over maps and satellite views, them taking notes, they are now excited to get bows and learn archery to eventually bowhunt. These guys have an awesome attitude - positive, unjaded, optimistic and energetic. Just the kind of hunters we need. I'm taking them under my wing this season.

23-Jul-18
Good luck to all. Bowhunting is on the decline, crossbow hunting is on an increase.

23-Jul-18
I met two guys last week who have recently taken up rifle hunting for deer and elk in their late 30s. Neither was exposed to hunting before. They just decided one day three years ago that they were going to do it, bought guns and gear, have spent the last three seasons backpack hunting where it was tough hunting, with no luck.

After our first day of mentoring and poring over maps and satellite views, them taking notes, they are now excited to get bows and learn archery to eventually bowhunt. These guys have an awesome attitude - positive, unjaded, optimistic and energetic. Just the kind of hunters we need. I'm taking them under my wing this season.

23-Jul-18
"the manufacturers are not concerned with bringing in anyone who isnt prepared to spend a small fortune"

Almost every bow manufacturer makes great quality entry level bows that are priced well. Same goes with accessory manufacturers. The mindset that you need a 1800$ bow set up and expensive specialty camo clothing is put forth by outdoor media and others in the "industry".

This isn't a slam on anyone, bills need to be paid. I just wish the lower price bows were advertised a little better. I know the archery shops I frequent do an excellent job at suggesting bows in all price ranges when someone is bow shopping.

• Sitka Gear