ELKMAN 19-Jul-18
ElkNut1 19-Jul-18
LesWelch 19-Jul-18
Twinetickler 19-Jul-18
Rutnrod1995 19-Jul-18
wilbur 19-Jul-18
ELKMAN 20-Jul-18
16-Jul-18
I guess I hadn't thought about it, but there hasn't been a real exercise thread in awhile. Here we go. What ya doing and why?

16-Jul-18
I hit the weights for 45-60 minutes 4-5 times per week. I'm swimming and biking weekly. Weighted pack workouts 2-3 times per week.

As others have stated it's a year around lifestyle for a lot of us.

I would disagree with a couple of statements in the other thread. Fitness is much more important than just when an animal hits the ground. MUCH more.

16-Jul-18
“Fitness is much more important than just when an animal hits the ground. MUCH more.”

True but that’s when appreciating your commitment to fitness kicks-in. I can’t tell you how many times I would’ve been totally hosed after taking an animal and having a big pack job ahead of me. I’ve said it before after shooting an animal, “What did I get myself into?” At least I can clean-up my mess.

16-Jul-18
Weights 5 times a week.

I like to run, but came out of the gate a little too hard this spring and beat my shins up awful bad.

Still running a little, but can't do near the mileage I would like. Shin splints suck, and they seem to heal slow.

Be careful not to do too much too soon.

Been rowing and riding a bike instead. This thread reminds me I need to get the weighted pack back out. Little over a month away.

16-Jul-18
6.5 miles covered in 2.5 hours placing game cams back in the huntin' spots.

Then a hard set of 12 oz curls.

16-Jul-18
train to hunt workouts. really like having someone else tell me what to do. seems to be working.

16-Jul-18
One hour Kosama workout (strength, cardio & core exercises) 6 days a week usually followed by a quick run then a few rounds of shooting arrows. Although I don't get to shoot or run as much in the winter, the Kosama workout is done year round. I will turn 50 this year in WAY better shape than I turned 30 or 40. My only bowhunts this year will be for Coues in Arizona and Whitetails in Iowa but when the time comes for another adventure I want to be ready.

16-Jul-18
12 once curls on Friday night.

16-Jul-18
It’s all fun and games until you get into the mountains the first day and realize how steep they are and how thin the air is! At least that was me this weekend scouting! I’m pretty sure they get steeper every year.

16-Jul-18
Today's workout for me

6 rounds

10 Sandbag Burpee Cleans

10 Over the shoulder Sandbags

50 Crunches

25 Lunges

25 pushups

40 Controlled Leg Raises

15 Monster Tractor tire flips

15 Sandbag Bicep Curls

400m sprint

16-Jul-18
I do something that sucks most every day. I've become very comfortable with being uncomfortable. :-)

Looking forward to doing some trail runs while I'm in Colorado next week.

16-Jul-18

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Work out 5-6 days a week. Heavy on cardio, but I do pack training and other strength stuff also. Knee surgeries have hampered my running. But I do spinning classes 3 days a week (45-60 min sessions). Stairmaster. Hiking with my pack and mowing lawn with my pack. I also have a never ending landscaping project that involves cr@p loads of landscaping rock, retaining wall blocks and dirt moving. Busting my butt to this years phase wrapped up before season.

Here I am after taking a weighted tire out for a drag. (The chicks were really giving me looks as I drug it around the local park. I still got it at my age! [At least that is how my brain processed their stares!])

16-Jul-18
I'm kinda like midwest except his dial is on 11 and mine is closer to 4.

3.5 mile speed hike with a pack at elevation this morning. Some good up-down stuff. I'm lucky to live at the same elevation as where I hunt elk (8500'). Depending upon where/what I either pack hike and push it, mountain bike and push the ride, or kettlebell/weight workout.

I like to do high-intensity shorter workouts and work on improving recovery, but mix in longer stamina-builders every couple days.

16-Jul-18
I dont read about anyone practicing with their bow?

That's a big part of elk hunting, especially since this is the elk forum

16-Jul-18
I get up at 4 am 3-4 mornings a week and swim 3500-4000 meters in hard intervals with a local United States Masters team. To me.....if you don't feel like you are going to puke or die you are not getting your money's worth. It's the only cardio I can do since I had a skiing accident about 20 years ago......but we all know this stuff about each other. It's always the same group on the workout threads....nothing seems to change.

16-Jul-18
Cnelk ... hitting the 25 shots before work daily, more on weekends as time allows. Keeping track of 4- and 5-shot group sizes has seen a significant decrease with this intensity.

Re: exercise -- CrossFit 3-4x weekly, with hikes or horse rides on weekends.

Exercise used to be for elk season -- now, it's for all seasons. Life is quite a bit better when you're in reasonable shape and get good nutrition.

16-Jul-18
Today’s workout:

21-15-9 Thrusters @ 95# 42-30-18 Dumbell snatch @ 50#

Finished in..... 12:13

Crossfit has been good to me since 2011. Need to dial in the diet and stick with it. I’m 6’5” 255 and have a hard time eating enough clean food

16-Jul-18
Shooting every day, cnelk!

I was relapsing back into target panic last year. This summer I committed myself to shooting my Silver Back tension release. My accuracy isn't where I want it to be just yet at the longer yardages but I'm shooting in the kill zone with zero panic and that's a wonderful thing! It's an easy switch back to my Nock 2 It thumb trigger release for hunting.

16-Jul-18
Brad,

Yes, I have dedicated programs with shooting under pressure. I do them weekly. I also very rarely shoot "numbers" anymore, it isn't important other than to keep the bow arm in shape.

It's better to get an elevated heart rate, and then take that 1 shot. Did you make it? That's real world.

Here is one of my workout program's.

50 Line hops 15 pushups 50 Mountain Climbers 25 Bodyweight Squats 20 Situps 10 Burpees 10 seconds rest Shoot one arrow Repeat 5x

16-Jul-18
I do 20-30 minutes of pushups and thrusts every night and add an AM workout on the weekends.

16-Jul-18
Before work during the week I hike 2 miles Mon/Tues/Thurs mornings carrying two 15lb dumb bells, doing flys and curls and Farmer carry.

Wed / Friday I run the 2 miles.

Weekends find me up in elk country doing another 5 -7 miles

I shoot my bow every night 20-60yds

16-Jul-18
I either run or bike at sunup. Then head to the basement to lift weights and do core work. Evenings I shoot anywhere from 5 to 45 arrows with pack on, then 1 to 2 miles with weighted pack. I mix in an "off day" every week, and of course life sometimes gets in the way another night or morning per week to 10 days. I enjoy it.

16-Jul-18
Great thread Les! Lift, run, shoot everyday. Been a lifelong endurance athlete but had to back off intensity the last couple months due to being diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. Yikes but getting repaired this Friday in Colorado Springs and should be back stronger than ever in a few weeks. Hopefully back in action for antelope opening day. Don’t ever take your health for granted

16-Jul-18
Mine changes slightly from time to time. Currently in the morning Mon., Wed., & Fri. = core workout (planks / leg lifts etc.) and 2 mile walk with weighted pack. Tues. & Thur. = cross fit type workout. Burpees, pull ups, push ups, clean & press and dumbbells.

Afternoons 2-3 a week. 1000' foot climb with weighted pack. At 50 pounds this week

16-Jul-18
Bike, Hike, Weights (squats, cleans, deadlift, bench, no vanity lifts), Shooting recurve and compound. I really have zero chance of ever out running an elk so running is not a part of my conditioning. Could just be my age but the risk/benefit ratio for running and injury is not good.

16-Jul-18
I do some scaled down versions of cross fit. Some of that stuff has injury written all over it. After three acl and knee reconstruction surgery’s, I know my limits. So, I stick to things like burpees, air squats, weighted lunges, etc. I am upto 20 miles a week with 25- 30 pound packs. Besides that, my normal job keeps me pretty much capable. I watch what I eat. No gluten, a few carbs, no sugar, lots of protein and clean fats. If it comes in a box or can, I don’t eat it. Good luck to everyone this year. God Bless men

16-Jul-18
Run 4-5 miles 4 times a week, with plenty of incline involved. Weight train 2 times a week Emphasizing core strengthening exercises. Will be in the high country at least once a week moving and checking cams and scouting until the season arrives. Been going to the range about every other day, mostly shooting longer distances, 50 - 60 yards. Have lost 11 pounds since June 10th, about halfway to my goal weight for my mountain goat hunt that starts September 19th. Plan to have an elk on the ground before then:) Poudre

16-Jul-18
Monday- Squat, vertical press, pull-ups, suitcase carries 4-5 sets, 4-5 reps Tuesday - 3-4 mile jog, or Assault Bike, or 60%-80% body weight ruck Wednesday - Met Con 12 min AMRAP 12 cals bike, alt snatch 53lb kb, 6 toes to bar Thursday - KB Swing, weighted push-ups, pull-ups or rows, planks same rep scheme as above Friday - 3-4 mile jog, or Assault Bike, or 60%-80% body weight ruck

16-Jul-18
I need some serious advice in regards to beginning a fitness program that isn't so difficult that I will give up. I am 70 years old and was very athletic when I was a young man. Those days are gone. I am 6ft 2 in 270lbs. The obvious answer more than likely is just walk. My question is would lifting weights do me any good at my age and if so how heavy and how many times a week?

16-Jul-18
I do my normal 3-4 mile run. Lots of up hill. Pull-ups, crunches, push-up and other stuff. Also do the weighted pack thing. I try and do it all year long. Living at over 6000ft helps!

16-Jul-18
Same as ever, elevated treadmill workout with 30 lb. pack 5 days per week (Yoga stretch before running). Plus 200 pushups, 200 crunches, 200 tricep lifts.

Weekends vary, but a lot of hiking with the pack on most weekends. I shoot about 80 shots per evening on a dozen separate 3D targets, with various distances/ up/down/ through limbs, etc., from 20 to 80 yards.

At 57 Years of age, it's Year-Round for me now.

16-Jul-18
Silverback, pm me your email address and I'll send a copy of my article from Bowhunter, " Mountain Fitness for Senior Hunters". It outlines some fitness programs for us old gaffers.

16-Jul-18
Here is my work[out] week. Hike 1.2 miles with 50 pound pack. Walk back up empty and repeat. Blow up full size rafts by hand[wilderness area, no power of any kind allowed] Up every day around 6:00, cook breakfast for 6 to 12, clean up, pack personal and all gear. Load boats, row fisherman all day with stop to fix lunch. Stop, set camp, cook dinner, clean up. Sleep, repeat. Not much time or energy left for organized workouts. I try to shoot on my days off. Interestingly enough, I have shot much less this year due to busier schedule, but my accuracy is clearly improved. In my case I think it's because I get sloppy and don't concentrate well when I shoot too much. I would be interested to hear other opinions on this. I have been focusing on walking to a random distance, say 37 yards, and making one shot. I have noticed at the range that almost everyone spends all their time shooting at every 10 yard increment and nothing in between.

16-Jul-18
I try to run 3-4 miles 6 times a week and weight train 5 days a week. I do mix in so cardio kickboxing and 90# pack training in there as well. Depends on the day. I'm a supervisor by trade so I dont have a highly active job. I try to make up for that down fall killing myself after work.

16-Jul-18
4 to 5 days a week for me also..... free weights for 3 days...... in the pool and Swim Fit, which is 60 min daily.... along with my 2 to 3 miles......... I also do all my leg work out in the water, using fins for resistant, but I am a lot older than you Les,,,,,, ha ha

16-Jul-18
Exercise overload, my shoulder hurted in the arm I hold my bow. I couldn’t shot bow or push up over a month. Last week it get better, I was able to signed very well my bow at 60 yards with broad head. The paint is get better but it still there. I can’t hold my bow too long. I decided to rest my arm for 2 more weeks. I am working on my legs and backpack with 55 pound couple mile each day, 2,3 time a week.

16-Jul-18
Started a new venture that requires a lot of physical stuff and trying to get good enough at skating to hang with my son for hockey practice.

16-Jul-18
Up every weekday morning at 0415. In the gym my 0500. Metabolic conditioning, barbell complexes and lots of giant and super sets. Followed by 30-45 minutes of cardio. Mon, wed, Fri nights I run 2-3 miles with the dog. The wights I lift are light these days, years of sports, power lifting and a shoulder replacement have ensured that. I tried cross fit for a while but it really played havoc on my joints. The biggest thing I change as elk season approaches is cleaning up my diet this gets me to my ideal fighting weight by September!

16-Jul-18
"Lost... in the long term risk/benefit ratio for running is not good for anyone."

You are mistaken. Long term benefits of running far outweigh any risks.

Running is very demanding and some people hate it. That's fine, don't run.

17-Jul-18
3-4 times a week pack training. Ill mix in some jogging starting next week.

17-Jul-18
Overslept, skipped breakfast, drank some coffee, worked through lunch, shot my bows, fleshed a bear hide, ate some leftovers, two 12oz curls and off to bed. T minus 17 days until go time, gonna have to ramp it up!

17-Jul-18
Midwest, I know some top heart doctors that may not agree with you on the running, as I had some of the best surgeons last year from the Cleveland National Heart and Mayo and Frodert, do my procedure.........

They love swimmers though........... I wish I could run, but you have the heart you are born with, so what I found out, is so many runners, do not get a thorough enough heart exam.....................

anyway, be safe on the trail, wear a smile and hunt hard

17-Jul-18
ground hunter, Obviously, if someone has a heart condition, they should consult their doctor before doing ANY sort of exercise. Swimming is awesome, too! I can ramp my heart rate up just as high swimming as I can running so I guess I don't understand why they would recommend that over running?

And if any doctor tried to tell me running is bad for a healthy individual in any way, I'd ask them to show me the data because there isn't any.

My doctor always seems to be pretty impressed with my resting heart rate being in the low 40's, my BP is great while the rest of my siblings are on BP medicine as were both my parents. I have low LDL, high HDL, low triglycerides, and excellent blood sugar levels. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Take care of that ticker!

17-Jul-18
thanks..... my cardiologist is a world class runner.... I guess my point was, running is great, but get a good physical, prior,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as far as my ticker, they said I have another 20 years............

The reason they love swimming, is the pulmonary benefits. also I do complete work outs, that come from the USAF para rescue training manual. so for those who can not run, its a great alternative................. stay well

17-Jul-18
midwest: my comment about running risks did not imply it is not great exercise. At my age (65) it's the cumulative effect on joints. I ran over 20 marathons when I was younger but now I use hilly rides on my bike to get my cardio fix without the pounding. The act of running does not provide any direct benefit to hunting that I cannot get with other activities.

17-Jul-18
I get to the gym every morning at 6:15 and do a 45-60 minute long workout doing cardio, body weight, and kettle bells. I follow that up with about 20-30 arrows at about 100 yards or more before work. After work, I've been going to some near by trails and running about 3-4 miles. Used to run on roads a lot, but I found a new passion of running trails. Being in central Iowa the roads are pretty flat, but you can get on some good hills if you go off the pavement. As much as I hate the humidity some days, I feel like running in it has gotten me in better shape. Going to Arizona in less than 6 weeks. Train hard. Hunt easy.

17-Jul-18
Great participation so far, fun to see this.

Tonight I will swim 1.5 and bike 40ish miles, then throw in a little core work.

17-Jul-18
Understood, Lost Arra. My comments were directed to ohiohunter.

The fact is, studies are showing runners have healthier joints than those who don't run. Even those still running into their 70's.

17-Jul-18
Lots of cardio stuff has no relationship to hunting elk. For instance, daily sex is much easier on the joints, you'll never get hit by a drunk driver, doesn't require $200 shoes, and really helps the domestic situation when it's time to go hunting for a month.

Dont ask me how I know this, but lets just say I don't own a pair of running shoes......

17-Jul-18
I agree with Lou's comments above about cardio.....the only thing that helps me get ready for the mountains is lot of hiking in the mountains. Cardio only keeps me comfortably resting while my hunting partners are panting.

17-Jul-18
True, Lou, but 2 minutes a day isn't much exercise!

....speaking for myself. :-/

17-Jul-18
In the past there was nothing better for me than my morning Jog.

I would trade every single step for a 100% healthy knee.

My doctor at the UGA sports clinic has 40 years of fixing knees, ankle's and hips. According to him the worst things you can do for your knees: Running Squats Stairs

17-Jul-18
Thunder Head, what is Doc's recommendation for knee exercise? I've had torn meniscus surgery in both knees.

17-Jul-18

midwest's Link
I won't debate this any further after this post so as not to derail the thread, but that's not true at all regarding running being bad for the knees. Tons of studies out there showing the opposite. Below in quotes is a fairly recent one that follows over 2600 subjects for a decade. My link gives a quick synopsis. Keep on keepin on, everyone, whether you run or not!

"Abstract

Objective

Regular physical activity, including running, is recommended based on known cardiovascular and mortality benefits. However, controversy exists regarding whether running can be harmful to knees. The purpose of this study is to evaluate the relationship of running with knee pain, radiographic osteoarthritis (OA), and symptomatic OA.

Methods

This was a retrospective cross?sectional study of Osteoarthritis Initiative participants (2004–2014) with knee radiograph readings, symptom assessments, and completed lifetime physical activity surveys. Using logistic regression, we evaluated the association of history of leisure running with the outcomes of frequent knee pain, radiographic OA, and symptomatic OA. Symptomatic OA required at least 1 knee with both radiographic OA and pain.

Results

Of 2,637 participants, 55.8% were female, the mean?±?SD age was 64.3?±?8.9 years, and the mean?±?SD body mass index was 28.5?±?4.9 kg/m2; 29.5% of these participants ran at some time in their lives. Unadjusted odds ratios of pain, radiographic OA, and symptomatic OA for those prior runners and current runners compared to those who never ran were 0.83 and 0.71 (P for trend?=?0.002), 0.83 and 0.78 (P for trend?=?0.01), and 0.81 and 0.64 (P for trend?=?0.0006), respectively. Adjusted models were similar, except radiographic OA results were attenuated.

Conclusion

There is no increased risk of symptomatic knee OA among self?selected runners compared with nonrunners in a cohort recruited from the community. In those without OA, running does not appear to be detrimental to the knees."

17-Jul-18
Nick, I don't want to derail this either but the study was done among people who were "leisure runners". Is there a similar study done on hard-core marathon/endurance runners?

17-Jul-18
I read this thread. I'm exhausted. Maybe I'll read it again tomorrow.

17-Jul-18
eddie c- Your situation is similar to mine. (I had surgery on both knees to remove torn meniscus). I am currently running one day a week, but my goal is to be healthy when hunting season rolls around. If you have access to a spinning class, that thing kicks my @ss more than anything. I go through 48 oz of water in 45 min class. Strengthens your quads, calves and glutes. (I could spin even before surgery, but other exercises with impact such as jumps or running killed me). I will caution you, the majority if the participants do not look like the women in the Peloton commercial! (FWIW-Only one of my knee injuries was due to running. The other was due to packing out an elk. I don't want to give up either of those activities!)

17-Jul-18
Anyone doing a fasting/Kito lifestyle along with workouts? My daughter got me into fasting about a month ago. Not really abandoning carbs, but trying to eat natural (try not to eat much processed). Anyway I decided to try the fasting (most days i fast 16-18 hrs and eat hi fat, low carb, moderate protein in the other 8. I’ve lost about 6-8 lbs, but more importantly seem to be adding muscle, have more energy, and calmer mentally. I’m either backpack training with 40# or cycling most days.

17-Jul-18
I'm in complete agreement with midwest. By nature people want to place blame on something. When a runner has a knee problem of course it's because they ran too much, but when a non-runner has a knee problem it's just unlucky or bad genetics. Fact is that the body will respond to the stresses placed on it. That's why lifting wts creates strength. That's also why you have to change your lifting program to provide new stresses, otherwise your fitness stall out. Running has shown to increase strength in muscles, ligaments, and tendons in associated joints because the body strengthens what you are placing stress on. It has also show to help with blood pressure, cholesterol levels, hormone production, depression, and a ton of other things. Not saying running is a cure all and the best thing ever, but choosing to not run because you think it will tear up your joints incorrect and quite the opposite of what is true (unless you already have a tendency of joint issues then running will probably aggravate them and something else should be pursued... but that's not running's fault.).

Both of the Orthopedic surgeons that I know swear that p90x and CrossFit were the best things for their business ever. Not over-use or chronic injuries, but acute injuries from those fitness models.

17-Jul-18

midwest's Link
Well stated, Catscratch.

Lou, Several articles and studies done on marathoners and ultra marathoners. Most with similar conclusions....if you don't have any pre-existing knee issues and run with good form, you are golden. Attached is a 10 year study on long-distance runners although the sample size is pretty small.

17-Jul-18
I started running when I was 30 years old. Am 55 now and I have absolutely no knee pain/issues at all. I don't run far, three miles is what I do. My shoulders are shot, bad arthritis. But I'm not running on my hands.

17-Jul-18
Thanks, Nick. Was just curious.

I know people who started smoking In their teens and are still smoking and doing just fine in their '80s. So I don't put much credibility in any one individual who says "I've been doing X for X years and have no problems at all, and neither does my buddy down the street".

17-Jul-18
P90x and Crossfit get a bad rap because of heroes that go in and try to compete with people on another level. It would be much the same if I said I was gonna train with Midwest and I could barely run a mile. I’ve seen O accute injuries at our Crossfit gym and I’ve been there continuously since 2011.

17-Jul-18
Shiloh, I didn't mean to make it sound like I think P90x and Crossfit are bad apples, just relaying what the surgeon's I know have said. I've watched people achieve amazing fitness results with both those programs and think they are great for those who are dedicated to them. I agree 100% that the "weekend warrior" or "hero's" are the one's to get hurt (and are good for the doc's pocketbook). One thing about the body and it's ability to adapt to specific stress loads is the fact that it doesn't do it quickly. Muscles will strengthen relatively fast but ligaments, tendons, and bone density respond rather slowly compared to most peoples patience levels.

17-Jul-18
Running is awesome if you want to get better at running, and get the benefits it does offer, but running is not the best way to spend your time to prepare your body to hunt.

17-Jul-18
cubdrvr, I eat a ketogenic protocol. There is data that supports intermittent fasting as a way to promote anabolic metabolism but, imo, a person has to be fairly metabolically healthy to do IF and heavy exercise. Keto, in general, pairs much better with time-under-tension exercise than steady-state cardio but that does not mean the latter cannot be rolled into the overall scheme.

As for the running/ joints debate, I think it dovetails nicely with the plantar fasciitis thread.It is not that we run but how we run. And, more to the point what we put on our feet and how it forces maladaptations that cause injury.

17-Jul-18
Age can make you adjust your workouts. I ran high school and college track and cross country. In college I ran in the nationals in the half, mile, and cross country. So you know how much I ran. And how old I am as everything is meters now! Continued jogging into my fifties til I had my first knee procedure and doc said no more running and no more stairmaster that I really liked. Have now had three knee procedures but no replacement. So now I hike and climb a few miles up and down a local ski hill about 4 times a week or more. Do some lifting but not at the weight as I used to. In my seventies. Important to keep working out. Oh, I'm having injection in both knees and both hips starting this week thru August 10. Had some a year and a half ago and helped tremendously. Doc said it's a smart thing to do in my case and for what I want to do. Haven't tried Jaq's two minute drill as not sure how it would help my elk hunting??!!

17-Jul-18
Backpack cardio and diet down 65 pounds so far! Started weights a couple weeks ago and was able to RUN much of the storm king memorial trail on the anniversary im ready for september but gunna keep grinding!

17-Jul-18
Was running 3.5 to 4 miles 3-5 days per week but the knees started aching. Switched to Manic this week to help get the core and upper body up to where the legs and lungs are. I’ll be ready to pack in....

18-Jul-18
No hard feelings here Catscratch. I agree with what you are saying.

18-Jul-18
Rehab on the new knee daily, and of course my normal circuit training, weight training, and hill running...

18-Jul-18
Midwest and cat scratch are all over it. Running gets the blame when it is improper lifting technique, going down to many hills or stairs, genetics, carry excess weight, and a multitude of other reasons to include improper running techniques. Admittedly, some people are not destined to be as active as others for the duration of their lifetime. In some ways Midwest nd Paul are anomalies both in their actions, DNA, and day to day activities.

Ideally, I wish I would have been less active young, had less demand career other than twenty four years in the infantry. Wear and taer are as profound as in activity, rest, and nutrition. A good quote that I like is “I never met a plateau with proper form, rest, and nutrition. Fifteen years Ago I was running sub eleven minute two milers and biking around 200 miles a week. Today I do not run and opt lower bike mileage. These just some thoughts to ponder whether you agree or disagree is unimportant. You are the sum of your life events and choices regardless of whether they were Positive or negative.

18-Jul-18
I train year around & ready to hunt elk in a moments notice! I don't need to be the first one to the top, I just need to get there & back! Train on brothers!

ElkNut/Paul

18-Jul-18
I should have stated outside of playing sports the worst thing you can do for your knees is xxx.

Eddie C, In layman's terms I stress fractured the top of my tibia. I pounded it flat. Doc said injury is permanent. Doc recommend I take up non-impact exercise program. He recommends biking, swimming, elliptical, ski machine etc. etc.

18-Jul-18
Paul you do you but ideally your yearly should create a wave effect with built in active recovery and building phases. A constant plane increases potential injury or illness.

18-Jul-18
Elkman.......You mentioned knee.....elaborate if you don't mind.

18-Jul-18
thanks for the replies Z Barebow and Thunder Head. "He recommends biking, swimming, elliptical, ski machine etc. etc." My doc, which is a sports orthopedic surgeon, made similar recommendations. both of my injuries were from slipping and sudden impacts, not from a routine physical activity. i'm still doing some of the exercises the rehab guy had me doing last year to strengthen my knees as part of my regular routine, which most of my cardio is elliptical.

18-Jul-18
Michael, what do you mean? I do a lot of the same things to stay active & in shape & so far no regrets. Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

19-Jul-18
Paul , it works for you but the body is not designed for staying at a constant maximum yield.

19-Jul-18
Paul, actually you probably are naturally doing this based on your yearly schedule so it may be transparent to you. You are not doing weight during elk hunts and you probably have periods like holidays where you may feel like you are not hitting it hard enough but your body is using these as recovery periods.

19-Jul-18

Pigsticker's embedded Photo
Pigsticker's embedded Photo
Paul, this is commonly referred to as periodization training.

19-Jul-18
Paul, this also allows for greater adaptation.

The principle of adaptation refers to the process of the body getting accustomed to a particular exercise or training program through repeated exposure. As the body adapts to the stress of the new exercise or training program, the program becomes easier to perform and explains why beginning exercisers are often sore after starting a new routine, but, after doing the same exercise for weeks and months at the same intensity, the exerciser experiences little, if any, muscle soreness. This reinforces the need to constantly vary the exercise and training routine if you want to maximize your results.

19-Jul-18

ELKMAN's Link
Less welch: I had knee replacement in March, so I'm on the comeback...

19-Jul-18
Michael great points! I've found this to be true via your explanation, thank you!

ElkNut/Paul

19-Jul-18
Just read that whole thread Casey, awesome, nice job man!!

You shooting TAC this week-end? Heading out of WI right now and land in Bozeman this afternoon.

19-Jul-18
5-6x a week I hit the stairclimber for 20 minutes, then weights for 30 minutes. Try to eat as clean as possible, diet is key to feeling good IMO.

19-Jul-18
I hit weights 3 days a week. 3-day split. Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Legs/Abs. Your muscles grow in strength, size and endurance when you rest. Try to eat a good diet and rest and you will see phenomenal results in all aspects of life.

19-Jul-18
Same as it ever was Letting the days go by (same as it ever was) Letting the days go by (same as it ever was) Once in a lifetime

20-Jul-18
I am not Less. Just not my scene I guess you could say. I don't align with what their promoting on the shooting side of things. Have fun!

• Sitka Gear