bighorn 22-Jul-18
19-Jul-18

eBike John's embedded Photo
The Rungu Electric Juggernaut MDV
eBike John's embedded Photo
The Rungu Electric Juggernaut MDV

eBike John's Link
Hi guys,

I wanted to shared a brand new product making waves, I've just partnered with Rungu so I can offer to the hunting community a nice alternative to the classic fat tire ebike. Rungu are based out of southern California and design, build and ship everything themselves from California so they can keep stock levels available and can guarantee quality construction. It has a patented double wheeled, fat tire suspension upfront so no matter that terrain, sand, snow or mud it never washes out so it can be used all year round. Take a look if your interested and if you have any questions just reach out, I'm here to answer any questions.

19-Jul-18
Am I missing something. Does weights and tire surface no longer mean anything with a bike? I truly am unmmowning here. But, it’s been my experience that heavy, fat tires on a heavy bike means PAIN. What happens when the batteries go dead 15 miles from camp?

19-Jul-18
Well it can be pedaled just like a regular bike when needed. It is heavier but it's obviously better to be used for the appropriate range. When using the pedal assist mode it can go 53 miles on a full charge so it's just a case of knowing how far you have to go and making sure you have enough juice.

19-Jul-18
How much does that tank weigh?

19-Jul-18
it weighs 82lbs. about 22 to 25 lbs heavier than a fat tire ebike and can carry about 100lbs more

19-Jul-18
Send me one I'll try it out for ya!

19-Jul-18
If it had two back tires would it be considered a 4 wheeler?

19-Jul-18
Forest Bows, actually just last week I asked in the forums for a guinea pig to try it out, I got a candidate to try it out

19-Jul-18
Hi Elkstabber, I guess it would be called an E-ATV... if it had 4 wheels

19-Jul-18
Cost?

19-Jul-18
Hey Bou'bound, the standard model is $3,399

19-Jul-18

kentuckbowhnter's embedded Photo
make one like this and you and all your buddies can go check your trail cams out at the same time at Arizona water holes.
kentuckbowhnter's embedded Photo
make one like this and you and all your buddies can go check your trail cams out at the same time at Arizona water holes.

19-Jul-18
Looks like what it is. I wasn’t knocking it. Only confused where a 82 pound pedal assisted bike would be easier pedaling then a standard weight mountain bike. I assume The best use for them is gated roads and for access in areas that has a good trail system or riding base. God Bless men

19-Jul-18

Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo
True beast.

19-Jul-18
how fast do you have to pedal in order to assist the motor?

20-Jul-18
Once you start pedaling the motor assists you and you choose at what oevel of assistance you want/need

20-Jul-18
Why 2 front wheels?

20-Jul-18
Hi Bullbuster, The 2 wheels up front were initially designed to get across the beach, regular one wheel is ok on sand as long as you go in a straight line but could wash out on turns so the 2 wheels were to handle better

20-Jul-18
Wouldn't it handle better with two in back Vs two up front. Or is it front wheel drive?

21-Jul-18
How is it in mud?

22-Jul-18
Ok, so I was the guinea pig for the bike and I had the opportunity to take the test ride today. I wanted to write up a quick summery of my thoughts as I was in the same boat as a lot of you in regards to the price weight, and overall function of the bike. I had never ridden an e-bike prior to this so I was a bit skeptical.

First question I saw some people asking is in regards to the weight. I was riding the MDVHC model which weighs about 100lbs. Yes that thing is heavy and to answer WV Mountaineers question, I shut of the assist on the bike and pedaled up about a 20% grade for about a quarter mile. It was difficult but with the extra tire on the front of the bike for stability, I was able to shift to a low gear and ascend the hill without having to leave my seat. Relative to a standard bike I would honestly say when you factor in the core strength required to ascend a hill it was about equal in regard to physical exertion. The only time I really felt the weight was when I was breaking while going down a steep grade. Just like when you are pulling a trailer with a vehicle, you need to allow a bit more time to stop.

eddie c “how fast you have to pedal for the assist.” I’m not sure if it’s standard on all models but the one I rode actually had an on-demand throttle. If the setting of the assist which ranges from 0 to 5 was set to 2 or higher, I could hit the throttle and the bike would start going from a dead stop with no pedaling. If you wanted to run the battery down you could just run the thing using all throttle as long as you weren’t going up a grade that was too steep.

Bighorn I didn’t get a chance to run it through mud but I did go over some rough terrain as well as some really soft sand and the bike pulled through with very little effort. I have to imagine that a reasonable amount of mud would do the same thing. One thing that could get you in regards to mud is if you submerge the bike. It was expressed to me that the motor is water resistant but, if its submerged it will kill it.

Overall, I was blown away by the performance of the bike. I tried to run it through the most functional tests I could. Steep grades were specifically what I was really hesitant about. The weight of the bike and the small electric motor was something I couldn’t wrap my head around but after completing some long climbs as well as a couple that had spots between 30 and 40 percent grades I was a believer. I also ran it down some standard mountain bike trails and it had no issues as the stability allowed me to easily stay on the trail. I feel that cow paths and even well used elk trails wouldn’t be an issue at all.

If you are in the market for a bike I definitely would look into the Rungu line.

I hope this answers some questions and if you have any more don’t hesitate.

Good Luck to All!!!

22-Jul-18
I just pedaled my 28# Mtn bike out of the backcountry today.....I can't imagine pedaling an 82# bike without the battery.

Cool idea...maybe someday I will check one out.

22-Jul-18
Hi Travis, Thanks for offering to be the guinea pig! I was really curious to know what you thought as Rungu will soon start marketing to the hunting community and real world trials are the only way to know for sure.

22-Jul-18
No review when I posted. I'm trying to imagine cornering on hard ground with no lean. I can see where that double front wheel would be an advantage though....its the weight that throws me.

I'm a guy that sees a performance drop between a std tire and those big balloon tires like on a Farley....but I'm a pretty big guy. I have a couple questions for Travis or whomever has ridden one of these electric bikes on a single track or fire road that has some elevation changes.

Do you feel the weight of the bike in its responsiveness?

Is it that much of an advantage for someone accustomed to riding in the backcountry? Referring to the added weight vs the short range benefit....20 miles on a bike really isn't all that much.

22-Jul-18
How is the bike on the rough stuff? 60mm of travel is not much, but the wide tires will also help smooth out the ride. The bike needs a mud test. I can see the tires and the small gap between the 2 front tires being one big mud slick and you are done.

22-Jul-18
beendare, You do have to lean into your turns. The weight of the bike does affect the responsiveness a bit. I by no means would enter a downhill race with this thing but it is extremely comfortable and handles great at around 15mph no matter the circumstances. I was able to ride the bike on some steep fire breaks as well as several miles on a standard mountain bike path about 16" wide on average and that's where the bike really shined. I have not sat on a bike in years and was able to move in both scenarios very well. I even had about 50lbs on my back and felt very stable on rough, narrow, and steep trails.

As far as the added advantage to a weathered rider I'm not sure. Like I said I am pretty green when it comes to mountain bikes. I will say I don't think there is any way that with weight on your back you can match the Rungu for stability.

PECO, I took the bike on some pretty nasty rocky terrain. It has a skid plate under the motor that I tested several times. It seemed to fare great. As far as the mud goes, hopefully the owner will give me another opportunity to help him with some R&D but I really do not see mud being an issue. It's been heavily tested in snow, sand, gravel and rock and it seems to do well. But time will ultimately tell.

I hope this helps. I picked the owners brain quite a bit during our couple hour ride together and he really is an engineer as he has tinkered with this thing non stop to work the bugs out. I'm sure that there are some other scenarios that it needs to be run through but so far it is impressive.

22-Jul-18
50# on your back on a Mountain bike is tough....thx for the info Travis

22-Jul-18
Yea Travis do a mud test. Wondering how it will go in that slimy mud that coats your tires and can't steer in. Or if you will be covered in mud?

• Sitka Gear