Shawn 23-Jul-18
Glunt@work 23-Jul-18
Bowriter 24-Jul-18
12yards 24-Jul-18
bow_dude 24-Jul-18
buckhammer 24-Jul-18
APauls 24-Jul-18
21-Jul-18
I’m sure to stir the pot with this. I saw some footage promoting a Garmin bow site that also serves as a range finder. The site looks like a danged Security camera mounted on the bow...... I don’t like the advancing technology in archery...... I guess I can go along with the guys who hunt out in the mountains and wide open spaces using slider sites that enable them to shoot out to 80 yards ........ maybe beyond.......

But where does it end ?? Is there no off limits as to how much technology you can add to your bow to improve your shooting accuracy and range ?? Maybe the next generation of that site will dope the wind for you too...

21-Jul-18
That sight will be illegal in most states plus it is $800. I'm more concerned about drones and whatever the next step in trail cam technology may be. Who knows where this technology may go.

21-Jul-18
Should not be able to hunt the day you flew a drone.

21-Jul-18
I agree 100%

21-Jul-18
I’ll stir a bunch more. I taught Bowhunter ed for a few years. IBEF states and every Bowhunter who has ever taken the test has answered the question. MAX shot distance under IDEAL conditions under any circumstance is 40 yards. Doesn’t mean anything anymore except one more correct answer on the test to get the card to do anything technology and the regulations allow. Screw ethics

21-Jul-18
I'm personally more against drones than the sight. That's BS

21-Jul-18
What all of this boils down to is what are YOUR personal boundaries when it comes to hunting. I have never killed an animal using a rangefinder....a trail cam....over food plots or bait. Do I hold anything against other hunters that do....absolutely not. If it`s legal every hunter has the right to hunt the way they choose. I don`t spend an ounce of energy worrying about how other hunters hunt. Hunting and killing an animal is a very personal experience and it`s not any one of our place to question how they do it.

22-Jul-18
My buddy called me the other day....says he is buying that Garmin sight...and that it will revolutionize archery.

I dunno, I haven't even looked at it....but he has a pretty good track record of being right.

22-Jul-18
I'm not a fan of the new Garmin at all. Technology will continue. I like to practice shooting my bow out to 100yds just makes the 40yds so easy. But would never even attempt it at a animal. I think it lies in the ethics of the Hunter. If a guy uses a garmin and keeps his shots in respectable manner distance for clean fast kills it doesn't bother me. We're always going to have unethical hunters and that's where the problem is.

22-Jul-18
Yes personal boundaries...... But do we or should we follow some kind of guidelines...... say Pope and Young....... as to what is fair chase in bow hunting ??

22-Jul-18
Yes! Join and come to the Omaha Convention in April, 2019!

It’s always good to have boundaries.

22-Jul-18
It is already too late for this discussion, real bowhunting was lost long ago. Today it is not how one hunts, game quotas are all that matters to many, method and difficulty of kill not a consideration. You know " use whatever you want as long as it is deemed legal by outside forces". We no longer hunt the hard way, archery culture has forever changed.

22-Jul-18
Your buddy is right Bruce. I'm not having any of it, but he's right... :-(

22-Jul-18
It all changed when scouting stopped being exploring the woods for deer sign and devolved to checking all the cameras

22-Jul-18
I'm not interested in the site, not even a little.

22-Jul-18
It can end wherever you decide you want it end. It might end for some with CNC machined risers on their "trad" bow. It might end with 65% letoff on your compound. It might end with aluminum arrows. Technology won't stop but, personally, we can stop it at any point we choose.

22-Jul-18
Technology can end for anyone at any time. Just say no ! Don't bitch and bellyache about what other people do, just say NO and don't reach for your wallet. I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna force you to put an $800 sight on your bow.

"If you're minding your business then you won't be minding mine".........Hank Williams

22-Jul-18
how much has archery hunting success rate gone up in the past 50 years?

22-Jul-18
How much has archery success gone up the last fifty years? There are way too many variables to draw meaningful conclusions, variables such as number of animals being hunted, days hunted to achieve success, success defined, many guys hunting multiple states, locale, species, liberal game laws etc. I started bowhunting 49 years ago and it is way easier today to fill tags. Check out the P&Y animal entries and sizes(scores)... and compare today to the 1950's and 1960's, might provide some clues especially on whitetail deer.

22-Jul-18
I know that slider sites have been around for quite some time. I have used one for at least 20 years. I have noticed that as I get older, it is harder for me to focus with multi pins. For my hunting in Pa. and Oh. I set my site at 20 yards. Good to go. Now when I plan to go out west, I set farthest site mark at 40 yards. I have seen that my 20 yard mark in higher elevations is pretty close to dead on. The only difference is that they carry a little farther. ( 27-28 yards is when they start to drop) But you guys are right, It is not about the hunt anymore. It's about putting animals on the ground. I feel, if people want to shoot at that distance, GET A GUN. A friend of mine from Colorado, told me that their muzzleloader season maybe shortened. Due to hunters bragging that they are shooting elk with muzzleloaders at 200-250 yards. Oh well, people will never learn.

22-Jul-18
Missouribreaks, I agree with you on whitetail deer success rates improving with technology. However, here in CO, despite the amazing technological progress in archery and hunting equipment and increases in elk numbers, the archery success rate on elk has remained virtually unchanged since the 70s.

To be fair, there are 4-5x the number of elk bowhunters in CO now than then, and not even a range finding sight or $500 Sitka underpants can change the negative dynamics associated with that one variable.

22-Jul-18
Bow mounted range finders have been around for 10+ years. I think the 1st one was the Leupold Vendetta. I dont think there is a advantage with those and I dont think there will be an advantage using a "Range Finding Sight". I think its more of a gimmick than anything.

22-Jul-18
That is likely true in Montana too. Large numbers of elk bowhunters, especially in predominantly archery units where archery is the best means to draw a tag, rifle tags few and far between. The large hunter density disturbs the elk, moving them into remote and/or private lands.

22-Jul-18
The sight relies on batteries. They can and will fail. It has a clear lens, Snow, rain and sun will effect that. Is it that much different than a hand rangefinder and a sight? Just a little less movement. Personally until they become much cheaper (which they will) I dont see a huge market or much help with this sight.

23-Jul-18
Missouribreaks.... You say that it’s already too late for this discussion....... That real bow hunting was lost a long time ago........

Yet you flood the forums with posts against crossbows being used in archery season........

I agree that crossbows don’t belong in bow season....... And for some of the very same reasons,,,,,, I don’t like the advancing technology that is making archery gear effective to longer and longer ranges...... To me..... the objective of bow hunting is to get closer to game..... not to see how far you can effectively kill an animal with a bow....

23-Jul-18
Crossbows are not a part of bow hunting, they are used for crossbow hunting.

Many have left bow hunting to become crossbow hunters. Therefore, there has been a rapid decline of bowhunters and bow hunting and a rise in crossbow hunters and crossbow hunting. If you hunt with a crossbow you are not a bowhunter, you are a crossbow hunter. In many states bowhunters and crossbow hunters share the same seasons, generally the archery season since both are forms of archery.

23-Jul-18
That does not address the advancing technology among those shooting compound bows..... Guys can say that slider sites and range finders were around a decade or 2 ago..... But how can they deny that hunters are pushing the effective killing range out farther and farther.... ??

23-Jul-18
Franklin put it very well. I choose not to use a bunch of things available today. Trailcams, 800 dollar sights and so on. I kind of feel sorry for guys who do, just like baiting, sorry but to shoot 190" deer over a pile of corn just does not do it for me, just as using an 800 dollar sight does not do it for me. As my wife would say "do whatever blows your hair back!!" Shawn

23-Jul-18
Technology for filling tags passed up even the most modern bow and arrow gear a long time ago.

Bowhunting seasons were created when there was already much more effective ways to kill stuff.

Its almost like maybe bowhunting could be about the opposite of pushing the limits of technology to maximize range... Nahhh

24-Jul-18
Here's a little something to think abut. Consider what technology has done to fishing. Should all the hi-tech electronics be legal?

24-Jul-18
I think whitetail success rates increased with the expansion of the whitetail population. Whitetail P&Y records also increased with the expansion of the herd and also with the pass them when their young mentality. I don't really find myself all that more successful than I was 30 years ago.

24-Jul-18
The argument against technology advancements has been around for many many years. I remember the arguments against compound bows, aluminum arrows, screw in broadheads, replaceable broadhead blades, tree stands, and sights to name a few, and still the sport grew and those items became accepted. Then along came adjustable sights, higher let off on compounds, mechanical broad heads, range finders and again, the sport continued and those items considered normal and acceptable. The fear of shorter seasons has been around during all these technology advancements, and yet the seasons continue to be generous. One of the truths I have learned over the years is the more change there is, the more things remain the same. I have learned to draw my own boundaries and stay within them. I don't expect others to adhere to mine. As with all new technology ideas, time will prove their worth.

24-Jul-18
I seen their ad the other day in an outdoor mag. I thought to myself that's pretty cool. With my eyesight fading and the fact I have never been good at judging distance in the heat of the moment I thought I might be interested in buying one. Well that thought quickly went away 3 pages later when I seen in a product review section that it was listed for over $900.

24-Jul-18
There is absolutely nothing on this planet that I can do that will blow my hair back :-(

• Sitka Gear