Mark Watkins 13-Sep-18
CPAhunter 13-Sep-18
Bowboy 14-Sep-18
FloridaBowGuy 14-Sep-18
CPAhunter 15-Sep-18
GregE 17-Sep-18
CPAhunter 28-Sep-18
28-Aug-18
I've been remiss in posting as I used to be a "regular" poster here years ago. Actually haven't posted much at all the last 6-7 years due to a lack of interest in a lot of things post-divorce. But, I'd been dutifully buying PP's for elk, deer, and antelope in WY. I hunted WY 5 years ago with BB on the bowsite hunt. That's the only archery hunting I've done since 2011. In fact, shooting a deer with my rifle last year was the first one I'd killed since 2012.

My 50th birthday gift to myself was going to be an elk hunt. I'm two years past, I just didn't have the desire 2 years ago. After mulling it over I decided to pull the trigger on my 10 elk points in 2018. I'm not getting any younger and tomorrow never comes. I'm likely in better shape today than I will ever be and everyone's goal should be to not leave any preference points behind when you die. After getting some references from fellow bowsiters, I researched some different outfitters. My original thought was to do a horseback trip and get a true mountain experience for my hunt. You bowsiters steered me in another direction which I appreciate. I can always do a horseback trip even if just fishing or hiking. Pick an area and a guide that will present the best opportunity for a nice bull with a quality experience. I decided against two outfitters that were recommended, only because they seemed to be strictly focused on a kill of whatever I picked out. Motel hunt, the guide picks you up each morning and takes you out to a private ranch. Both were top-notch and I'm sure I'd have a great time but after speaking with Jared Souza at Turkey Track Outfitters in Area 7 he seemed to be the better fit for me. I found Jared in the WY Outfitters annual magazine. I'd be staying in a cabin with an option to camp out on the mountain if I so choose. He's an avid bowhunter, told me he guides rifle hunters but he only bowhunts. It turned out I'm the only archery client that drew a tag this year so together we chose my dates based on my best opportunity. He's a moon-man and suggested the week of Sept 17th would be best. I also put in a for a cow tag and drew that too so if I score 2 elk I'll probably qualify for the tv show meateater. It's a 2 day drive from NE MN so I'll likely be gone up to 12 days if I'm waiting on a butcher at the end of the hunt.

I'll add more posts as I think of things.

28-Aug-18
My equipment: Matthews Hyperlight 60 lb limbs, ripcord red drop away rest. Just had new strings and cables put on.

Backup bow is a Matthews Switchback with a similar setup. I plan on shooting 125gr VPA broadheads. BB recommended these 5 years ago.

28-Aug-18

CPAhunter's embedded Photo
Here’s my 20 yard group after new strings
Here’s my 20 yard group after new strings

28-Aug-18

30 yard group
30 yard group

28-Aug-18

I have an issue at 40 yards.
I have an issue at 40 yards.

28-Aug-18
Good luck Dan, leaving for Manitoba soon myself. Rory

28-Aug-18
I think the issue at 40 was fatigue. I went out the next day and shot from 55 with a semi-tight group (for me that is) around the bullseye on both sides.

28-Aug-18
I will add here that I've never archery hunted for elk. I'm really looking forward to hearing one screaming up close and personal. I have elk hunted in Montana with my rifle a few times. I killed one spike on the 2nd day of my first trip.

I'd be interested in hearing insight and seeing pics on where to aim. I know years ago there were good threads on this topic. I'm trying to do everything I can to put the odds in my favor.

28-Aug-18

First time in at least 3 years I’ve been under 180.
First time in at least 3 years I’ve been under 180.

28-Aug-18
Been on the powermill (stepper) since February 3-4x week. I added a 25lb vest 3 months ago. I now wear it the full 30 mins. Average heart rate is set to 152. I'm sure I'll still struggle with the mountain air and trying to keep up with a guide 18 years my junior.

I also got another injection in my right shoulder 3 weeks ago in preparation for this hunt. Had a radiologist do it with imaging equipment front AND back. Sometimes a person doesn't realize how much pain you have until the pain is gone. I'll likely need surgery if I don't want to live with the pain. Ortho said it'd be similar to the Brett Favre procedure only he would reattach the tendons in different spot.

28-Aug-18
Good luck! Thanks for taking the time to post.

28-Aug-18

My arrows - still carrying the names I gave them in 2013
My arrows - still carrying the names I gave them in 2013
Here are my arrows. Each is named for someone or an event. Amos, Toivo, and Ole were my 4 legged best friends that have crossed the rainbow bridge. Tim was a friend killed in a motorcycle/deer accident. Cody is someone I never met, but a longtime Bowsiter BigDan - lost his son Cody right before the antelope hunt. That particular arrow passed through my antelope while BB sat with me in the blind. I still have the blood-stained arrow and will likely use it on this trip for the positive vibes. Another longtime and popular bowsiter that has left us recently will be graced in flight as well. Never met him in person but a few years ago he sent me a few kind words in a message that I won't forget. I just haven't decided on the perfect flight arrow yet. RIP Kelly Harris , you'll be along with a lot of us this fall.

28-Aug-18
Will be just ahead of you headed to CO. Good luck!

28-Aug-18
You are going to have a blast....good luck!

28-Aug-18
?????? you name your arrows!!! Thought I was the only one!!

GL!!

28-Aug-18
Good luck. Appreciate the post and will be rooting for you.

28-Aug-18
Good luck n shoot straight!!

28-Aug-18
Have fun and shoot a big one.

They've been fighting a fire up near Wheatland the last couple days hope it doesn't effect your area. It's burnt over 13k acres.

28-Aug-18

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Glad to hear you are back on the horse Dan! Honestly, seems like just yesterday we were both in WY pursuing pronghorns with BB. Also glad to hear you burned those elk points on a prime rut bowhunt. Don't think you will regret that decision at all! Burned my WY elk points three years ago...not that far removed from where you will be hunting. The photo is the result of that hunt....just to wet the appetite! Hope you stick the bull of your dreams my friend. Wyoming is a special place and that pronghorn could use some company on the wall. Safe travels and best of luck on those bugling bulls!

28-Aug-18
Good luck and get 'em man!

28-Aug-18
Best of luck!!

28-Aug-18
Good luck, have a great time...

28-Aug-18
Game on. ... those who circle once will be back.... take adavantage buckarooo...

29-Aug-18
Hope that fire won't affect your hunt also, check with your outfitter. Weather is not looking good for fighting it.

29-Aug-18
I just drove thru Unit 7 last week, kinda Smokey but what a good looking elk unit!

Sure glad you are getting back to normal life Post-divorce man.

Good luck, Robb

29-Aug-18
Go luck man!!!! I’ll be doing the same soon, but with a slightly different back story!

Enjoy the process!!!

29-Aug-18
The fire has burned over 19k acres. As of this morning zero containment. I'd definitely check with you outfitter.

29-Aug-18
Go get em! Good luck

29-Aug-18
Looking forward to reading along on this adventure. Hopefully that fire isn't near your spot. Goodluck!

29-Aug-18
Good Luck!!

29-Aug-18
Whack em’ and stack em’!

Good luck. HAVE FUN!

29-Aug-18
I head out for a 23 hour drive to NE Wyoming in a week and start my hunt on the 8th. Makin' a list and checkin' it twice of gear to take and gettin' excited! The temperature here is in the mid-90's with the humidity about the same. I can't wait for cooler, dryer conditions with a big bull bugling down the ridge. Good luck to all!

29-Aug-18
Wishing you luck!

29-Aug-18
Outfitter said "No fires on anything of mine at this time"

That's not extremely comforting but it is what it is.

29-Aug-18
Good news for you then. I would keep track of this fire though. The country can be rough, steep and rocky , so have good boots well broken in. Good luck, it's a great area especially with private access.

29-Aug-18
Good luck man, I'm headed to Wy. in the morning for pronghorn. Then I'm dropping down to Colo. for an OTC elk hunt.

29-Aug-18
Good luck Dan, I'll be heading to WY next week too...

31-Aug-18
Good luck can’t wait to hear about it!

31-Aug-18

My Friday nights are a real thrill!

31-Aug-18

31-Aug-18
Hopefully your heartrate monitor is wrong. LOL.

01-Sep-18
Confirms I should read the entire thread from the beginning before I post witty (dumb) 1st thoughts....apologies to the OP for the post pre edit

01-Sep-18
Best of luck to you.

04-Sep-18
Update from guide:

"Elk are bugling escaped all the fire seeing some great elk"

Sigh of relief. Now if I hadn't nearly killed my neighbor this weekend working on my truck I'd feel a lot better. Truck rolled off blocks and pinned him but thankfully didn't run him over. It was his doing, but still scared the snot out of all of us. No broken bones but likely torn rotator cuff.

04-Sep-18
Hoping some rain materializes this week for this area of Wyoming, your elk area in particular. We were across the highway from your area on Friday and watched the water dropping helicopters flying down Sybille Canyon. It's been dry over there, water holes may help your hunt. Hopefully it cools down some too, been pretty hot on the Wheatland side of the hills. Good luck and keep up the good workouts. Maybe a wolf will wonder by, ask your outfitter about the sightings over that way.

05-Sep-18
Well heard this morning a black female wolf was taken in northern part of your area last Friday. Be watching for her mate!!

05-Sep-18
My observation is that you living and enjoying life is the best way to show everyone who you really are. Best way to annoy an ex is to move on and find joy in every day. Dropping weight. Getting in good shape for a hunt adventure. Practicing so can make an ethical shot. All very good things you should be proud of right now. Glad you are finding the time and passion to take up hunting again. Good luck on the upcoming hunt.

05-Sep-18
I’ve seen two different timber wolves on the highway here in NE MN in the last week. We are overrun.

05-Sep-18
Good luck CPA... I was in Unit 7 over the past couple days doing some scouting/hunting. Found some bulls, but they were all by themselves or still bachelored up... didn’t see any bulls with cows. I spent one day in the Wheatland area... just my observations. Good luck.

06-Sep-18
Good to hear CPA, you're much too young to quit. Good luck in hunting and life.....

11-Sep-18

Proof that my heart beats

11-Sep-18
Good for you!!! I need to get back to my daily hikes- one week left and I'll be in SW Wyoming at 9000'

Going to try a hyperbaric chamber to get some O2 saturation. We'll see how that goes- only time I've been in one is after a scuba dive incident.

G

11-Sep-18
Enjoy the hunt! Regarding where to shoot, I prefer aiming for the middle of the crease behind the front leg. I also love shooting from a kneeling position with my butt on my heels. This arrow angle works great. I shoot a longbow or recurve so to help with pass throughs I wipe my carbon arrows down with a food grade silicone sprayed rag. Super slick and keeps ice from forming on the shaft. I hope this is helpful.

12-Sep-18

3 guys coming along with me. Does the Bowsite brotherhood have a favorite? ;-)

13-Sep-18
Use the one that "feels right"... Good luck!

13-Sep-18
Elkman- The middle arrow Kelly is for Kelly Harris.

13-Sep-18

Final day of practice. 60 yards no pin in 12 mph winds

13-Sep-18
Nicely done Dan!!!

Each day is a new day to be OPTIMISTIC!!!

You got this!!!

Mark

13-Sep-18

50 yards in wind

14-Sep-18
It's been really hot and dry here. It's cool in the morning.

14-Sep-18
Glad to here your back at it. What area of Mn? I was born and raised just south Cloquet after 46 years of freezing to death took up fishing florida. Starting our SW Colorado elk hunt tomorrow morning. Good luck

15-Sep-18
I live between Hibbing and Duluth. In Bismarck tonight.

17-Sep-18
Wishing you a safe and successful trip.

Will be watching for a hunt report- after I get back from our Wyoming ELK hunt at the end of the month. :)

G

28-Sep-18

CPAhunter's Link
Here's the recap of my hunt

• Sitka Gear