wackmaster2 27-Oct-18
Bear Track 27-Oct-18
APauls 29-Oct-18
ki-ke 30-Oct-18
Mike Ukrainetz 11-Nov-18
Nick Muche 11-Nov-18
Mathewshootrphone 14-Nov-18
28-Aug-18
On an average northern BC bull, anyone know how much the boned out weight is? 300-400 pounds?

29-Aug-18
Id assume in the ballpark of 1/3 of live weight would be close.

29-Aug-18
That would be close guess.

29-Aug-18
I hear that a young one will yield 275 pounds of processed meat. That's for a year old Canadian bull.

29-Aug-18
The bulls in N BC are about like the Alaskan bulls I've killed as far as body size and are a bunch bigger than the central and southern BC bulls. BC probably has Shiras moose down south, Canada moose in the center and Alaskan-Yukon moose up toward the Yukon. P&Y calls 'em all Canada moose. That said, I'd guess the live weight of a big northern BC bull at 1200 #s...and boned meat at 35% of that or 420#s.

29-Aug-18
Saw this some time ago. http://www.wyomingextension.org/agpubs/pubs/B594R.pdf

25-Oct-18
I just got my 5 year old bull back and the meat weighed approximately 350 lbs.

26-Oct-18
I shot a 1000 lbs Canadian cow moose. And yield was was very close to 1/3. We weighed her whole at the elevator.

26-Oct-18
I killed a young paddle bull in The Brooks Range of Alaska last fall. Ended up w 282 lbs of meat.

26-Oct-18
My Yukon bull yielded 565 lbs. Thats ALL meat, boned, prior to trimming. We weighed it as it went into the panniers for pack out.

26-Oct-18
My northern MB bulls have been 400lbs all meat no bone or hide before trimming and without the rib cage. That’s the one piece I keep forgetting to weigh. So whether you do a rib roll or keep the cage add that to it.

26-Oct-18
The guys who are saying that you get approximately 1/3 of the live weight of the moose in butchered meat are correct.

But, obviously it will be less if the shoulders, etc. are shot up. Some other factors to take into consideration are: how many pieces was it cut up in for transportation and how long it dried/hung before final butchering (more trimming)... and if it's a bull - how late in the rut was it shot.

Caribou on the other hand have proportionately bigger "guts", bigger hooves, and are "bonier" so the yield in deboned meat is less.

I butcher all our personal meat and I used to help professional butchers during their after season "rush".

When I guided I was sometimes involved in studies with biologists.

As far as age, since moose are born in the spring and usually hunted in the fall, age is always stated as: (calf from the spring), then 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, etc.

With black bears it's vice versa (born in early winter, hunted in late spring) so it goes cub of the year, last years cub, then 2 1/2, 3 1/2, 4 1/2, etc.

I better shut up... that's what happens when you start getting old, LOL!

26-Oct-18
YOu are correct in your estimate. I weigh all y panniers when packing out #300 to #400 is an average Canadian moose. all boned out.

27-Oct-18
My WY moose weighed 675 lbs hanging weight with head and hide removed. I got 348 pounds of boneless processed meat.

27-Oct-18
If moose yields are in the 300-450 pound range, how do Rocky Mointain elk yield the 275-300 pounds claimed by so many?

27-Oct-18
key word is "claimed".

27-Oct-18
Yes "claimed"!

I've taken 37 moose and thinking last year's 50" bull netted 400 lbs maybe more. Pretty large animal. Elk I've only taken 3 and lucky to have 250 from any of them, more like 200lbs.

29-Oct-18
You bet guys I have to weigh every single one of our bull moose we fly out of the bush and after taking the all neck meat, fronts, hinds, backstraps, tenderloin, and inbetween ribs cleaned up and off the bone we are getting 275-300 pounds of meat consistently off these big alberta bulls.

29-Oct-18
WV that's a giant range. "300-450" lbs for a moose is either same weight or 50% more than your claimed elk weight. I also recently listened to a guy claim he carried a 120lb elk hind off a mountain. Meanwhile a mature Moose hind with cape and bone in weighed 100lbs on my scale. So ya, guys are going to claim all kinds of things. That's why I bought a scale. It's quite enjoyable to know certain weights that I've always wondered about. My weights that I listed above were weighed on a scale.

30-Oct-18
This years Wyoming elk yielded 298 lbs, packaged. All elk meat, no sausage, beef/pork added to burger meat, etc.....

11-Nov-18
520 lbs of meat off my Northern BC moose, before trimming, between ribs, neck, everything. He was a bit bigger than our very biggest Alberta bulls

11-Nov-18
The best way to find out is to kill one, then weigh it. As Chuck says, everyday is Saturday.

14-Nov-18
344 on my cow this year from Colorado .310 on my bull .I had a bull hunter his bull 500 lbs All. Shiras moose

• Sitka Gear