sitO 19-Jan-23
drycreek 19-Jan-23
bigswivle 20-Jan-23
10-Sep-18

Deerwhisperer's embedded Photo
This is my experience
This is my experience
Anyone have issues with Boss Buck Feeders molding feed?

10-Sep-18
Nope. Only squirrels chewing the heck out of them. Nothing I put in mine lasts long enough to mold.

10-Sep-18

Molded so bad maggots were in feeder, had to throw out about 1000lbs of feed between two feeders.
Molded so bad maggots were in feeder, had to throw out about 1000lbs of feed between two feeders.
More pics..

Dont believe them when they say they don't collect moisture! Company wont back their feeders either even with proof they mold feed.

10-Sep-18
We have two 1200lb feeders and both molded the feed. I know it's not the feed because we know the company that makes it and they have never had issues at all.

11-Sep-18
What kind of feed was that?I use corn mix with record rack never have had a issue

11-Sep-18
What kind of feed is that? I have had some feeds that won't work well in any feeder because its prone to stick and clog. Its usually the pellet type.

11-Sep-18
I’ve had 3 out all summer with a pellet style feed. No issues.

11-Sep-18
I had a little mold in a 200 # feeder. Maybe 4" X 6 " area. It was hard, stuck corn that I just knocked out. This was after running for 6 months and then being empty for 6 month. I also had a 200 and a 600 with almost no build up. Just a sliver where the corn got caught by the funnel. I filled 4 last Saturday in the rain. Some of the corn was pretty wet when I put it in. It will be interesting to see if any molds. I need to let them do empty before refilling them.

12-Sep-18
Its Ultimate Antler but we know thousands of people that use it and never had any issues until using it in the boss buck feeder. We added some corn but not alot since in the heat corn is bad on Deers kidneys.

12-Sep-18
We called Boss Buck but they won't own up to anything. First said not possible, then when showed proof they said they can't warranty them because we painted the outside camo?? then said warranty paperwork states no alterations on feeders allowed...though we didnt receive any paperwork when we bought them, but they were so kind to email the warranty after the mold issue ......

12-Sep-18
It’s one of two things, 1. The feed is too wet going in the feeder 2. Water is getting in the feeder

Mold is caused by heat and moisture. You need to stop the latter.

12-Sep-18
The feed is fresh from the feed store...they bag it by order...Boss Buck guarantees moisture cant get in the feeders but when I lifted the lid it was dripping so I call BS on that guarantee ...

I have had thr feed sit in my truck for weeks and never mold but it sure will in Boss Buck feeders....about $1800 waisted on feeders

12-Sep-18
I know nobody is going to change your mind but the feed is the problem. The feed can be fresh as daisy's but it has to much moisture content in it.

12-Sep-18
That's good to know! I will definitely reference that to the feed store! Thank you..

12-Sep-18
That's good to know! I will definitely reference that to the feed store! Thank you..

12-Sep-18
Yeah.....I’m in Ms and our humidity should be much higher than yours. Never had the inside sweat despite the lid holding water.

12-Sep-18
Hope you get it straightened out one way or another. I am not familiar with that brand of pellet. By chance is the feed store taking a bulk protein pellet and adding in other ingredients to get a certain blend for deer? A pellet extruded with all the ingredients already in the mix has less of a chance of molding if moisture content is under control and anti caking agents and such are added. Some feed pellets made with alfalfa can be a bit high in moisture content if its purpose was supplemental bulk feeding in the diary industry. As others mentioned I would double check your feeder closely. A big dark plastic vessel sitting in the sun with no ventilation can easily draw moisture right out of about anything that's in it.

13-Sep-18
We have many of these feeders and occasionally the feed tubes collect moisture after a hard blowing rain. Then the heat draws the moisture up into the chamber. Always check the feeder after a hard rain. You may have to take the four way off, clean out the damp or wet feed until the feed flows out the tube. Then replace the four way.

16-Nov-18
Hey I have a 200# boss buck that continues to have water getting in and making the pellet style protein form clogs up in the throat of the down tube. It is significant clogs. Yes, after a rain it is really significant clog. The lid is secure. It did this in hot weather and now when it is in the 50s temps. Using Recordrack 20.

Any suggestions? Do I need to put a rain roof over this thing? Im hundreds of miles away from my land and it clogged up when I had a huge 10 pt visiting daily and it left according to cams due to this problem!!! If boss buck doesn’t fess up then what option do I have beside ditching this?

16-Nov-21
I have 7 of the 600 pound feeders that I bought after last season and put them together around July of this year and put them out with corn at the End of August. 4 of them has the corn molded up. When I lift the covers they are completely wet dripping water and the outside are already starting to rust. Tried to get in touch with them, no luck. Will have to clean them out and try to add something under the cover to absorb the water I guess.

16-Nov-21
I only fill them half full to allow more air

19-Jan-23
I see this is an older thread, but …… I have same problem with mold in Boss Buck feeder. Filling only 1/2 full has not helped. Box sweats on inside. And when corn gets low where you can see just above the corn through the window, corn stays on sides and won’t funnel out. Poor design and definitely needs venting somehow. So disappointed.

19-Jan-23

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Put a whirly bird on the lid. Problem solved, you guys are welcome.

19-Jan-23
Scrappy……I’ve seen guys put those things on the bottom of their feeders…..

19-Jan-23
t-roy, it's seems like a no brainer. Just get air flowing through the feed. Maybe we just discovered a new business. Just put a pic of a big buck on it, double the price, and watch the money start flowing in.

19-Jan-23
Won’t the deer be bothered by that shiny thing spinning around?

19-Jan-23
No way Pat, the deer will quickly learn whenever they see a shiny thing and hear that whirling noise they will come a running. You will be drawing all your neighbors deer in guaranteed.

19-Jan-23
Think I saw this on one of the Mensa tests?

19-Jan-23

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I have a Boss Buck protein free choice feeder on my little place and the only time I’ve ever had any mold is when rainwater blows into the down spouts. I check it occasionally and just dig it out with my fingers. I suppose if it rained in them enough the water could wick up a little way but I’ve not seen that in the three years I’ve been using it.

20-Jan-23
Had to build metal caps for top because squirrels ate through the lid

• Sitka Gear