Firsty 17-Sep-18
Boatman71 18-Sep-18
oldtimer 18-Sep-18
15-Sep-18

Bowriter's embedded Photo
What one of my walls looked like about 15-years ago. Bow season opens here in one week. If it is 92, as it is predicted to be, today, I reckon I'll sleep in. If I go, it will be opening day #64. But sadly, the equipment has changed. Not the technique, not the skill sets, just the one piece of equipment that goes in the hands. And the way my shoulders feel this morning, I'm not sure I could even pick that up. Fifteen-years ago, by now, I would have been on two caribou hunts and probably be in the middle of my second elk hunt. Either that or be in the Assiniboine River Valley in MB chasing a big-bodied whitetail and shotgunning geese. But 15-years ago, I was 63. Big difference between that and 74-two shoulder surgeries, one wrist surgery and 10-days in a coma-for example. Body is wore out. But even worse, so is the desire. I'll kill my three freezer deer this year, no problem with that. Then, I reckon, on the good days, the cool ones, I'll try and Nikon a few. Mornings like this one, mornings when every joint hurts and my head and eyes are messed up from what those weather liars call a change in atmospheric pressure, I fell every bit of my 74-years. On the upside, I am 20-pounds lighter than I was then.

15-Sep-18
Who cares what was what matters is what is. You Are still out there hunting and fishing and writing. Live in the now and relish it. Not everyone has that choice.

15-Sep-18
Love bowriter and his accomplishments for our sport.. downer post tho!

15-Sep-18
.... they all are

15-Sep-18
63 plus 15 years is 74 ???

15-Sep-18
Big Bear can cipher. I am 74, the retrospect is 15 years ago. The two are not directly related. Twenty-years ago, I was just 54. It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that the more birthdays I have, the older I get. Y'all ever notice that?

15-Sep-18
John,

Please name the brand/model of the bows on your wall. I'm old enough to recognize aluminum shafts.

Tks,

15-Sep-18
Archery season has been open here in Nebraska since September 1st. Haven't been out yet but just to check and change game cameras and I got ate up with skeeters every time. I'll wait until the bugs are about gone and let the deer get a little fatter. West Nile Virus is killing a few here this year and I don't need killed yet... This is season #46 for me.

15-Sep-18
Buffalo1 I know two of them are Champion bows The third might be either an old McPherson.

15-Sep-18
Tks John, Oldie Goldie bows ! Lots of memories there.

15-Sep-18
That other bow might be a Hoyt. Most years, I had three bows set up exactly alike and usually two of one brand and one I was testing. But I just can't tell from looking. When you go through 8-12 bows a year, they get kinda confusing unless they have some real distinctive feature. I know the only two I still have are an original McPherson and a Champion and I know the ones on the wall are neither of those.

16-Sep-18
Getting old isnt for pansies. :D

16-Sep-18
But dying young isn't what it's cut out to be either. Getting older with health problems is sure better than dying young and healthy. That's what I'm doing and enjoying it.

17-Sep-18
Top bow is a Jennings Buckmaster. I had one identical to it for 13 years. Was a deer killing machine!

17-Sep-18
Boatman-I believe you are right. I do remember having one. Might mention, all were setup to shoot fingers, no peep, one sight pin, set at 25-yards.

17-Sep-18
Maybe you can try posting some positive next time Negativejohny.....

18-Sep-18
Bowriter - Pretty sure it is, Jennings used the swing arm type cable guide. Back in the day that bow was a great hunting bow. Like I said I had mine for 13 years until I decided to get with the times :-)

18-Sep-18
Hang in there and enjoy. This is 57 seasons for me.

• Sitka Gear