bigswivle 15-Sep-18
Bou'bound 15-Sep-18
Franklin 16-Sep-18
Irishman 16-Sep-18
Tracker 16-Sep-18
md5252 16-Sep-18
GF 16-Sep-18
15-Sep-18
Just saw this. Anyone know anything about it? Okay, never mind, just saw the other post.

I need to ask for prayers for my brother in law Mark Uptain (Anna’s brother)...He is a guide in Jackson and he and his hunter were attacked by two grizzly bears. They were bow hunting and gut shot an Elk and the bears tracked them and came on them so fast that they didn’t have time to react. The hunter made it to the hospital, my brother in law is still missing...Search and rescue will resume searching at 7am tomorrow...please pray for his safe return, he has a wife and 5 kids...

15-Sep-18
O no.. god bless and I'll say a prayer with the family for his safe return. I hope everything is OK and prayers to his family for going through this hard time.

15-Sep-18
Will pray for your family!

15-Sep-18
been following this Bowriter, lets all hope for the best outcome. really hits home when it involves our bowsite family

15-Sep-18
Holy crap....2 people on Bowsite have friends or relatives involved in this needless tragedy. These bears NEED to be hunted and their fear of man brought back. Sad situation.

15-Sep-18
I hope that they find the missing guide, and he returns to his family/

15-Sep-18
Prayers sent.

15-Sep-18
Prayers sent

15-Sep-18

standswittaknife's Link
I by no means am saying this isn't true, but to be able to throw a gun up to someone getting attacked by a bear and run is somewhat out of the ordinary isn't it? I'm probably going to get beat up on here, and maybe rightfully so, but wouldn't you use the gun to save the guy getting attacked instead of throwing it and running away? I know I obviously was not there, and am just reading the story but...I certainly pray the guide is somehow some way ok,

15-Sep-18
Knife....

From the article you linked.

"“Chubon was able to run to his pack gear a few yards away and retrieve a pistol but was unable to safely fire a shot at the bear that first struck Uptain,” the release said. “The attacking bear then spun, charged Chubon, grabbed his foot, and dragged him to the ground. He sustained injuries to his leg, chest, and arm, but was able to throw the gun to Uptain and get loose before running from the scene to phone for help. Initial reports indicate that the second bear did not engage either Chubon or Uptain.""

Condolences to family and friends.

15-Sep-18
So sorry for your loss bowriter!! We will pray for your family!!

15-Sep-18
Prays your families way John

15-Sep-18

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo
I am judgemental. Don't bother me a bit.

15-Sep-18
Prayers being sent.

15-Sep-18
CLARIFICATION- I am not a relative, do not even know the ones involved. That is quote from a post I saw on another forum. Sorry that was made clear.

15-Sep-18
"I am judgemental. Don't bother me a bit."

Seems like a pretty strange time for humor, don't you think?

15-Sep-18
Kevin Paul, I agree. That just shows you how some people think. Wonder if the guide's wife and five children would think that is funny? We need to be sending prayers instead of making jokes at this time.

15-Sep-18
It's not meant as a joke It really happened. Couldn't shoot but handed him a gun? Really?

15-Sep-18
We’re all keyboard heroes until reality sets in. Praying for all involved

15-Sep-18

Bou'bound's Link
I don’t know about this case but I met the taxidermist in BC on Monday who survived a grizzly attack a few years only because his partner did stick around and shoot. Quite a story

16-Sep-18
Bowriter….your original post DOES make it sound as if it was your relative. I would think you would know how to phrase a post....dumb***. I agree with others....in that situation how do you not stay and give it your all. Leaving him their alone will haunt this guy for the rest of his life. I can think of worse ways to go.

16-Sep-18
I'm guessing that something has to be wrong with the story that was reported. I can't imagine that anyone would throw the gun to the person being mauled. You would shoot the bear, but if you were the kind to take off and run, wouldn't you keep the gun too? The story makes no sense.

16-Sep-18
I suspect the press has the chain of events wrong. Not that that ever happened. More likely that the bears showed up while the guide was handling the meat and the guide yells to the client to grab the gun. Would think he grabbed it and threw it to the guide as the bear attacked. Doubt we will ever know exactly what happened other than a good man lost his life doing what he loved.

16-Sep-18
Original post by Bowriter:

“Just saw this. Anyone know anything about it? Okay, never mind, just saw the other post...”

Really dude? Were you typing your post and reading the other post at the same time? Wow....

Anyway, prayers to all involved

16-Sep-18
5252 - it’s called the Edit function. Don’t be a smartass.

My understanding of the article was that the client felt he had no safe shot, and then the bear left of the guide and came after the client, who must have thrown his gun to the guide after he (the client) started getting mauled.

Sounds like pure panic. You don’t ever know ‘til you know, but I sure would like to think that I’d have the presence of mind to USE my gun on the bear that was chewing on me, rather than hoping somebody else (who had already been attacked) would have a better angle or whatever.

And again, that’s what I’d like to THINK that I would do...

• Sitka Gear