Woods Walker 17-Sep-18
Woods Walker 17-Sep-18
dirtclod Az. 17-Sep-18
bad karma 17-Sep-18
osage 17-Sep-18
Buffalo1 18-Sep-18
Rut Nut 18-Sep-18
17-Sep-18
Wondering what is the best color for flashlight used in tracking deer blood?

17-Sep-18
There are lots of theories about this. Sure fire made blue lights for a while (maybe still do) specifically for blood trailing. All my life I have been told that a gas coleman lantern will make blood "glow" and be easy to see. I can't say I have ever noticed any difference between colors, LED vs. incandescent, or anything else. I think it has to do with the amount of light (almost always the more the better) and the skill and diligence of the people looking.

The one thing that I think can be a game changer are the sprays that make blood foam or fluoresce. They can make the job go a lot faster and easier. I have several friends that are color blind that are avid hunters and they have made it possible for them to either be more helpful when tracking or even track deer by themselves.

17-Sep-18
Coleman lantern floods 360 degrees with clear bright light. That would be for after giving up tracking with battery power.

17-Sep-18
Daylight

17-Sep-18
Most of us that use Coleman lanterns have shields/reflectors on them so they don't blind the user. Pretty simple fix.

17-Sep-18
I just prefer a bright white surefire light, personally. I'll even use it in the daylight to look for blood. Really jumps out at me more with that light. I've used a Coleman lantern in the past. . . pain the rear. Foil reflectors slide around, globes break, mantle's burn and fall apart. Not worth the struggle in my opinion to use a lantern. And frankly, I don't believe they're nearly as bright as a good flashlight.

17-Sep-18
I personally prefer incandescent to led for tracking. Skookumjt may be on to something with the brightness as my incandescent lights are brighter than my led's.

17-Sep-18
skookum has it for me. If my standard led flashlight is not enough I go back and get the Coleman propane latern and use aluminum foil as not to blind the user. Bright white light is the best for me. Shawn

17-Sep-18
The best part of using the Coleman lantern for tracking is making the reflector part yourself. You empty a beer can, cut it open and wrap it around. It may take a few beer cans before you get it quite right!

17-Sep-18

17-Sep-18
I'm with Woods Walker.After too many cans and can't see,come back in the am.

17-Sep-18
Get a 1000 lumen LED flashlight or more. Blood drops stand out like they were neon LEDs. And you can see eyeballs at better than 50 yards. They are cheap, too.

17-Sep-18
Hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Blood stands out like a diamond in a goats azz. Of course I never could afford diamonds so my goats are sporting cubic zirchromium.

18-Sep-18
Old fashion Coleman lantern & spray bottle of Hydrogen peroxide.

18-Sep-18

Rut Nut's Link
I can't wait to try out my Milwaukee M18 Searchlight(1250 lumens). Haven't had to use it yet, but I am interested to see how well it works. It lights things up in open woods for several hundred yards.

• Sitka Gear