greg simon 18-Sep-18
Brian M. 18-Sep-18
stick slinger 18-Sep-18
rjlefty3 18-Sep-18
Medicinemann 18-Sep-18
Russell 18-Sep-18
rjlefty3 19-Sep-18
18-Sep-18
My and a friend of mine are flying to WY to bowhunt antelope later this week. In the past I've brought a judo point and shot at prairie dogs or dirt hills or something of the like.

Trying to steal some creativity from anyone! Doesn't really need to be anything durable. Something that'll take 20 arrows total would probably be fine. I'm thinking of bring a few pieces of 2" insulation and taping them together and using that. Not sure how that would work. And vs buying a cheap target and using it for a few shots and wasting it.

Any ideas? Or is the judo idea still my best bet?

18-Sep-18
I wouldn't leave without the judo anyways, because my favorite practice is "in season" practice simply guesstimating yardages as I am walking around shooting at a leaf etc. I'd say go with the judo. If you are flying any target is just too much space.

18-Sep-18
Can't beat a Judo point. Useable & adaptable almost anywhere. Easy to carry & replace as needed.

18-Sep-18
PVC pipe to carry them will keep them safe, if that's what you mean. End caps, one glued on with some memory foam at the broadhead/point end. The other end cap will be snug enough, but accessable. Yes, it may raise suspicion looking like a pipe bomb, easily inspected in luggage. Just get a piece big enough for 20 arrows. May even want to secure it to your bow case.

18-Sep-18
Judo is great. Another option is simply shoot into the ground. Either a hillside or ditch /coulee bank works great as long is it is not rocky. I would definitely not bring a target if flying.

18-Sep-18
Sorry, I guess I read it wrong, I thought you were wrapping the arrows with foam, not shooting it.

18-Sep-18
If you go past a Goodwill or other second hand clothing store you can usually find stuffed animals, pillows, blankets for very cheap. Stuff them in a bag and it makes a great cheap target.

18-Sep-18
Thanks guys!

I've always wondered what others have done. Certainly not a 'critical need' on this trip, but if there was an easy solution I might as well try it out.

18-Sep-18
I take a 12"X12"X2" piece of nine pound foam with me on all hunts. It's light, fits in my pack, and will stop any arrow from any poundage bow.

18-Sep-18
Suggest carrying a couple extra nocks too.

Once while on an elk hunt in NM, stumping with a judo point, I aimed at a small rock from 40+ yards away. Told my guide, "Watch this." Famous last words for sure. Nailed the rock and arrow bounced off. Lost the nock. Never did find it.

Shot at ant hills from then on.

19-Sep-18
Yes - I always have a couple extra nocks, dloop material, and serving with me on any trip. With other stuff like arrows/BHs at the truck. Never had to use them yet, but I'll be glad the day I do!

• Sitka Gear