PoudreCanyon 13-Nov-18
newfi1946moose 13-Nov-18
deserthunter 15-Nov-18
t-roy 15-Nov-18
LUNG$HOT 17-Nov-18
lawdy 17-Nov-18
HUNT MAN 17-Nov-18
12-Nov-18
Got an assignment that I am going to love writing. How many of you had a Daisy bb-gun as a kid? Last year, at an auction, I bought a new Daisy Red Ryder model they brought back out as a commemorative and gave it to my grandson. How many of you, have done that?

12-Nov-18
"you'll shoot your eye out!"

12-Nov-18
Had one when I was five years old (1960). My first shootin' iron.

12-Nov-18
I may have shot a few things when I was little.

12-Nov-18
“Certified” bird (during the day) and barn rat (at night with head lights)

I also remember the parental safety caution before hunting with it.

Great memories with a Daisy Red Ryder. Such innocent days of childhood.

Today kids shoot Glocks (at one another). How things have changed.

12-Nov-18
Grape, I almost did shoot my eye out. Shot at a robin, bounced off the limb and shot myself right in the eye! What are the odds! Scared the crap out of myself. I’ve never told anybody until just now. Haha!

12-Nov-18
Got mine when I was 6 (1989). ;) I spent many hours hunting feral cats in the small town I lived in. Of course no cats were killed, maybe a bird or two. The red Ryder’s my kids have are cheaply made in comparison to the one I had.

12-Nov-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
That was my first gun in 1967. And I still have it

12-Nov-18
often wondered what happened to mine. i had several bounced back BB to hit me. i learned real early to shoot in a cardboard box stuffed with paper to 'recycle' the BBs.

12-Nov-18
ucsdryder....If my grand kids knew what I did with mine, they would freak out. We actually had BB gun fights....glad you're ok. You know where that "shoot your eye out" comes from right? If not...The movie "The Christmas Story".

12-Nov-18
My brother and I would ride our bikes along the road picking up coke bottles to turn in for pennies so we could buy nickel packs of BB’s . We shot literally thousands of rounds though ours that way . I carried that thing with me every where I went on our 500 acre farm for years . It was a hard life for critters for sometime. Lots of great stories.

12-Nov-18
I still have mine.

Lee

12-Nov-18
My first gun was also a Daisy Red Rider. Many blackbirds and sparrows fell to a well placed BB!

12-Nov-18
My dad set up a range in our basement shooting into an old box of rags. Thats where he taught us safety, trigger control, aiming, etc. When my Mom discovered that the old box of rags were actually nice clothes she was storing until we grew into them, we all learned a different lesson.

I had the Daisy 880. It was quite a killer and my buddies and I spent a lot of our time roaming the woods and fields hunting everything from grasshoppers to geese with BB guns.

12-Nov-18
Man, we went through those little cartons of BBs faster than we went through cartons of milk...

12-Nov-18
Sheridan Silver Steak .20 cal pellet gun for me. Real accurate and al lot of power with 8 pumps.

12-Nov-18
I may faint. I posted something and not single person had a detracting comment! As a kid, I recall two bb-guns one the standard, Daisy lever action, the other a Daisy pump. Cedar Waxwings make a great target. Never owned a pellet gun until I was over 60. Then, a fellow outdoor writer from OK, who shall remain nameless, and I, had a blackbird killing contest. We shot out our office windows at birds on the bird feeder. He won.

12-Nov-18
Must be early for even Bowriter to be stewed! This post actually has merit. Lets see how the thread progresses as the bottle loses weight!

Theres your detraction.....lol

12-Nov-18

Bowbender's embedded Photo
Bowbender's embedded Photo
I had the Daisy Model 99 with different style posts for the hooded front sight. We had many adventures!!

12-Nov-18
I ordered a 2000-round pack of BBs from Sears, opened it by the front door, and let it slip from my hands. I can still see that "golden waterfall" of BBs flowing down the stairs, into heater grates, carpeting, under furniture, etc. D'oh!

12-Nov-18
shot all kinds of stuff with my red Ryder.

12-Nov-18
Knew it was too good to last.

12-Nov-18
Daisy 1894 lever action. Then crosmans

12-Nov-18
I bought a new one 2 years ago. Very depressing ..... see the BB leave the barrel and shot it at a metal shed 30 yards away ...... pulled the trigger and sent a BB down range at it .... about (what seemed) 4 or 5 seconds later I heard the BB hit ...... these new ones are JUNK! I think I bought this one at Wal-Mart for about $30.00 and I'm guessing probably made in CHINA .... I never Searched them though for manufacturing location!

12-Nov-18
Yep...Cut my teeth on the Daisy Red Ryder. Got mine around 1973 I believe.

12-Nov-18
Got 5 of them boxed up in the barm. Need a sixth for all the Grands. RMEF and Whitetail models.

12-Nov-18
I've got three boys, and three Daisy Red Ryders.

12-Nov-18
Many a sparrow fell to my Red Ryder back in the day

12-Nov-18
My best friend had a Daisy. My dad bought me a lever action Crosman 99. It was a .22 cal. Co2. Still have the gun, haven't shot it since the late 60's

12-Nov-18
Started out with a Red Ryder. We would go out in the barn at night with a flashlight and shoot sparrows and the occasional pigeon. The pigeons were the “brown bears” of the bird world. You were never gonna bring one down with one shot, unless you got lucky and hit them in the head! We would have 4-5 barn cats in tow, licking their chops.

Once we graduated to a single pump Crossman .177 pellet guns, our shot-to-kill ratios skyrocketed! No better place on earth to grow up, than a farm!

12-Nov-18
When my son was 5 years old, he shot a flying barn swallow with a Red Ryder. I didn't actually see the shot as my back was turned, but I saw my son run over to pick up the bird. He probably shot a hundred times at flying swallows that day, and I bet that he (or I!) could never do it again!! What a great photo I have of him with his first "game" bird!

12-Nov-18
I had one and almost shot my eye out lol. If you can't cock the lever fully and let it go it will shoot a bob. One of my favorite things to d o with it was sit in my bedroom window with my brothers shooting people walking by. I remember one guy with a leather jacket we hit in the back and it made a loud pop, he took his jacket off and looked t it as he walked the whole way down the block. Probably in hind sight give a 10 year old a bob gun unsupervised isn't the smartest idea lol. No passer yes were hurt during our sniper training. Lol

12-Nov-18

KsRancher's embedded Photo
KsRancher's embedded Photo
My wife sent this to me a couple days after we got my youngest son one for Christmas. It was almost 2 years ago. Dang I was proud as a peacock

12-Nov-18
Dad 86ed the crossmans from barn hunting when he started finding holes in the hay barn aluminum roofing....... the old daisy's were ok. it was as much fun watching the cats that would gather when spotlighting at night..... sometimes a dozen or so. They'd race and fight over who got the bird, lots of times the birds never hit the ground....

13-Nov-18

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Bowriter's embedded Photo
KsRancher that is trophy picture. This is my youngest G-son. The blue hair was his mother's idea. And yes, the new models are not near the quality of the old ones. But they will run a cat off.

13-Nov-18
I’m 31 yrs old, Still have one and still shoot it!! Love the thing.

13-Nov-18
I don't have mine, I have no idea what happened to it, but I do have my sons. His is about 20 plus years old. I also remember my Crossman pump BB/ pellet gun. killed tons of rabbits, quail and other critters with it! Even a 7.5' rattlesnake... I shot it right between the eyes- Very Lucky Shot!

13-Nov-18
Had the standard lever one at age 5 in '61, then the Daisy Model '94 Winchester one at 9 or 10, then the .177 Crossman pump up bb/pellet gun, then the .22 Crossman pump up, which I still have. The seal came unbolted though so it needs fixing (for the last 30 years).

13-Nov-18
Never had one. First gun I ever owned was a Sears single shot bolt .22, appropriately named...and still the "Cat killer" to this day! Here kitty kitty kitty;)

13-Nov-18
Wore my first Daisy bb gun out (honestly), before I was 8 years old. Started on the second. Killed lots of English sparrows, especially on cold nights when they would roost in the eaves of the shop. I also made the rounds around the stock ponds on our place lowering the frog population during the summer.

I remember one time shooting a bleach bottle and having the bb come back and hit me in the chest. I kept trying to put my ear on my chest to make sure my heart was still beating. ;)

Dad took a 5 gallon metal oil bucket with no top and made a target over it so I could collect my bb's when I practiced.

We lived 75 miles or so from the Daisy factory, I always wanted to go in there but never got to, just drive by it on the way to Bible Camp.

13-Nov-18
My first gun was a Red Ryder. Bought another about 20 years ago to run off stray cats.

13-Nov-18
Started with that in 1969 and graduated to a crossman pump bb gun - that was stong enough for squirrels

13-Nov-18
I skipped the BB's and went straight to a Benjamin .177 pellet gun Christmas of 1964. Many a bird dropped to that thing. Still have It and it still works fine 54 years later.

13-Nov-18
Crosman 760 Powermaster in 1970.

So many piles of dead birds...

13-Nov-18
Yup - had a Golden Daisy. Wish I still had it.

13-Nov-18
Got one in my gun cabinet, dad gave it to me years ago...

13-Nov-18
Good topic Bowriter - memories.

Oh hell yeah, the swamp behind our place was a death trap to any living thing. When out of the living things to shoot at I would shoot cat tails. Wore the first one out so Mom got me another one, took to my buddies where we would shoot at gophers till we ran out of BB's so he used it as a club and broke the stock off it slick as a whistle. I was sooooo bumbed.

Couple years ago purchased one for my grand son - yeah, the new ones are pretty much junk.

13-Nov-18
Had one growing up and have bought my daughter, nieces and nephews one. Some of there mothers thought I was crazy buying 1 year old kids BB guns" these were to be stored away until they were older".

13-Nov-18
Ive had one. also my four kids all have one

13-Nov-18
We had BB gun fights all the time. Just no head shots.. Right.. That would definitely leave a mark.. Life was so simple then..

13-Nov-18
Got a Gamo breakaction .177 pellet gun way back in 2001 when I was 8 years old. I’m not exaggerating when I say that hundreds of starlings, house sparrows, and barn pigeons met their fate at my hands with that thing. I’ve always been a pretty good game shot and I credit it to the hours I spent behind that thing.

13-Nov-18
I got one for a Christmas gift in 1965. I still have it.

13-Nov-18

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
I had a Red Ryder, but graduated pretty quickly to a Crossman PowerLine - it accounted for lots of sparrows, black birds, and the occasional cottontail in my childhood backyard in Wisconsin. Santa brought my son a Daisy Buck last Christmas - we’ve begun learning gun safety and how to perforate pop cans in the backyard. As you can see, he’s pretty excited:)

13-Nov-18
I think it was the Daisy Eagle....do not remember but it would take down a pigeon from up in the silo. Had BB gun fights in my grandfather's sugar bush. Those ended when a neighbor's kid shot my brother in the nither region as we rode our bikes up a steep hill by his house. Return fire bounced a BB off the side of his house and into the corner of his eye. Eye was ok; our behinds were not though!

15-Nov-18
Remember what would happen if you cocked it and then open the lever and pull the trigger ? We always thought it gave it more power.

15-Nov-18
Deserthunter......”Here! Hold my root beer! ;-)

17-Nov-18
Got my first one when I was 7 I’m 34 now and still own that same gun. My boys shoot all kinds of critters on our annual family fly fishing/camping trip every year. Still a fun little gun.

17-Nov-18
Got my first one in 1951. Put a bb through the barn window and my father chopped in half with an ax. Bought my next one by selling Cloverine salve. No more windows just anything that moved.

17-Nov-18

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Good choice for the brush country of Idaho

• Sitka Gear