APauls 21-Nov-18
crankn101 21-Nov-18
crankn101 21-Nov-18
12-Nov-18

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
And not using the batwing mounting bracket. You are truly missing out on the versatility of your hang on stand. This tree is as crooked as a politician but I'm all leval.

12-Nov-18
Thanks for the PSA, I’ve got one I’m using for the first time this year and just realized how that is supposed to work!

12-Nov-18
Agreed.

If you were annoyed not using the "batman bracket" because now you can not use the hook that makes it easy to hang there is an easy solution. Simply fashion a loop out of paracord and tie it to the top of the stand. (Iactually made it a double loop for strength) This way you can stilll climb up the tree, drop the paracord on the LW hook and then proceed to fasten using two versa buttons including the "batman bracket.". I did this with my XOP stands which I actually prefer to LW for a couple reasons. Also, a real benefit to using paracrod instead of the hook directly into the tubular stand is that looping paracord onto the hook is dead quiet and comes off easily when you leave. I hate always trying to get the stand off the hook and it is metal on metal noise when you leave. With the paracord it's dead quiet and makes it more convenient to use that batman bracket you are talking about. I agree, its a sweet deal. XOP has the same ones.

12-Nov-18
Agree with APauls.

Scrappy, I always use that bracket and it really does level the stand.

12-Nov-18
Hmm I never seemed to have an issue with the hook and leveling..

Either way lone wolf alpha is the best stand I have used.. I have used a few lock ons and a few climbers.

Sticks and lock on is all I will use any more!

12-Nov-18

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
If your using the hook there is no way for you to be able to offset the stand on a crooked tree. It's hard to explain but there is just no way to do it with the hook.

12-Nov-18
Bat wing for me for the last 8 years. I use other stands when hunting where my stand might walk away but for the most part I prefer LW over anything else.

12-Nov-18
Scrappy I’ve used in crooked trees and I don’t think I’ve had a problem.. I just try to keep the post straight..

Either way same page on the LW...

Maybe my trees aren’t crooked enough to notice!

12-Nov-18
"This tree is as crooked as a politician" lol, great analogy!

12-Nov-18
Ya thing is I hate hanging them without the hook. That’s why if I want to use the bracket AND the hook I use the paracord trick. The paracord is loose enough to allow the bracket to offset where the hook straight to stand doesn’t. You now need 3 straps compared to two but it’s worth it for the ease of just hanging the stand on the hook while you get the other straps set up.

12-Nov-18
I use both, can't say I have really had a problem with either.

12-Nov-18
Have always used the batwing and yes it is awesome in a crooked tree that is in the right spot.

13-Nov-18
Apauls - can you take a picture of the paracord ties to the stand? Sounds like a great idea but I need to see it to fully grasp it.

Thanks,

Lee

13-Nov-18
I have lone wolf and XOP and when it comes to easy hanging nothing beats my chippewa wedge loks.

20-Nov-18
I second Lee's request for a pic from APauls.

20-Nov-18
I understand what you're saying APauls. Good idea. Hanging from the paracord allows you enough free play to shove the batwing to either side of the hook while you strap it in place. Then, when you loosen the strap to take it down, it's still hanging until you get all the straps stowed away.

20-Nov-18
Definitely a pic although I believe I understand the concept.

20-Nov-18

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Sorry guys didn’t check back on the thread. Zipped outside and took a pic. Imagine my thumb is the lone wolf hook. This just makes it real easy to do up your other straps after the stand is hanging. Also unhooks 100% silent as opposed to the metal LW hook inside the metal LW stand.

20-Nov-18
Good thread, thanks for sharing...

21-Nov-18
Lone wolf assault II is my new stand this season for hang and hunt. After 4 other stands/brands, I'm ashamed I was too frugal for so long. $3000 worth of clothing, gear, pack, bow, boots, stand, sticks, optics, GPS, etc, and too stingy to spend the extra $50-100 for the LW. You simply cannot beat the weight, packability, adjustability, quietness, rock-solid-level performance of the LW. I've not tried the hook, but the batwing works fantastic. The tree I chose this morn was the offspring of two politicians (according to this thread), and my stand hung comfortably level, solid, dead silent, in a matter of seconds.

BTW: the aluminum API hunt'n sticks 3pack ($80 cabelas sale), fit perfectly on the LW assault stand when packing them together. After having these, I will never buy another step that doesn't have steps on both sides at each level; these are much safer and worth the ounces. I'm very athletic, so I climb my sticks like a monkey (4ft in between each 32" section). I can get my platform to 18' easy with just 3 sticks. I strap this on my kuiu icon 5200 with two large black tarp bungees and can bushwack anywhere

21-Nov-18
Hey sharp stick why don't you just use the two buckle straps that come off the frame of the Icon Pro? That's what my brother and I do and it works fantastic. On top of that I use this tool with a length of paracord and I can strap any other miscellaneous items to my stand or pack in 2 seconds. I usually run it through the LW or XOP stand base then back around my equipment and it enables me to cinch it very tight so nothing rattles at all while I walk. Extra jackets, rattling antlers, etc. are very easy to add on top.

21-Nov-18

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Example of items strapped to stand
APauls's embedded Photo
Example of items strapped to stand
Here is the tool I use. Is it called a Figure 9?

21-Nov-18
APauls, thanks for the pictures. Worth a 1,000 words.

21-Nov-18
Youre really missing the boat if you are not using shoulder straps and waist belt attached to the bottom of the stand. The perceived weight difference if crazy.

Then I use a small 15"X15" cargo net to strap everything to my stand including a small pack with all my little gear and water, then my sticks and antlers and heavy clothing get thrown on next to the pack.

21-Nov-18

SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
I think you're all missing the boat with those treestand thingies... :)

21-Nov-18
That figure 9 has me confused...

21-Nov-18
Lone wolf assault II is my new stand this season for hang and hunt. After 4 other stands/brands, I'm ashamed I was too frugal for so long. $3000 worth of clothing, gear, pack, bow, boots, stand, sticks, optics, GPS, etc, and too stingy to spend the extra $50-100 for the LW. You simply cannot beat the weight, packability, adjustability, quietness, rock-solid-level performance of the LW. I've not tried the hook, but the batwing works fantastic. The tree I chose this morn was the offspring of two politicians (according to this thread), and my stand hung comfortably level, solid, dead silent, in a matter of seconds.

BTW: the aluminum API hunt'n sticks 3pack ($80 cabelas sale), fit perfectly on the LW assault stand when packing them together. After having these, I will never buy another step that doesn't have steps on both sides at each level; these are much safer and worth the ounces. I'm very athletic, so I climb my sticks like a monkey (4ft in between each 32" section). I can get my platform to 18' easy with just 3 sticks. I strap this on my kuiu icon 5200 with two large black tarp bungees and can bushwack anywhere

21-Nov-18
Zbone, so you see how I have paracord tied to the Figure 9 tool. I then run paracord through or around something lashing it all together. As I come back to the tool, I lash around where the #2 is and pull allowing to cinch everything very tight so there is no wiggle whatsoever. Then I simply loop the paracord into the toothy jaws where the #3 is as per drawing while the paracord is under tension. Essentially allows you to lash things under tension and never lose the tension. The teeth grab the cord so no knots are required. One quick second and it is complete. Perfectly quiet.

21-Nov-18
I see that as treestand without the seat. Im very open minded to saddle hunting, but I dont want to be carrying any platform in with me if I do give it a try.

21-Nov-18

sharp stick slinger's embedded Photo
Top strap I weave on frame handle
Top strap I weave on frame handle
Bottom strap above lumbar pad
Bottom strap above lumbar pad
Apauls, not familiar with that tool. As far the straps on the Kuiu pack, they drive me nuts. So many straps, I can never tell which goes where at a glance. I only use all those straps when backpacking/packing in or out when hunting out west. These bungees I leave on for the season (even though they remove instantly). I put all my stuff in my pack (sweater, down jacket, harness, lineman's rope, 5 straps to stand and sticks, rattle, rain jacket), then I lay the pack on the front side, then center the stand/sticks over the pack and pull the tarp strap ends with even tension and hook them to the top and bottom rungs of the top stick... Self centers and balances. The stand compresses the pack nicely. 100% silent. Works for me. Sometimes I pull the pack up with my bow and use the bungee around the tree so I have access to my layers, water, food, etc. Other times I stash it at base of tree.

21-Nov-18
This is pretty much my system. straps on my Lonewolf and a cargo bungee to hold everything I wold ever need. Then I have a cheap Kelty pack to haul it out.

• Sitka Gear