Zbone 14-Nov-18
CJE 14-Nov-18
McCree 15-Nov-18
GF 15-Nov-18
Zbone 15-Nov-18
Mpdh 15-Nov-18
GF 16-Nov-18
14-Nov-18
I have 2 Big Horn Bows for sale. What are they worth? 1 is a 1 piece recurve 50# at 28". the 2nd is a take down with 2 sets of limbs 55# and 61# both at 28"

14-Nov-18
Hey tom, go over to the leatherwall, you'll get great advice on value and you will sell them quicker on thier classifieds.

14-Nov-18
Tom, as suggested, the leatherwall will give you some 'ballpark' figures, as nothing is written in stone. PM sent. Thanks Shick

14-Nov-18
Thank you men. best regards Tom

14-Nov-18
Depends on the condition and model... Bighorn made a basic model and a custom take down, then later longbows if I remember correctly... On the take downs, there was cupped limbs, and flat limbs depending on the year they were made... My Custom T/D was crafted in 1987 (cupped limbs), and I think I paid around $450 for it at the time, which was a LOT of money for me at the time with a young family, but I think their value actually increased though the years,,, at least for a little while... They won't likely bring big money like a RARE Bear bow, just depends upon how badly or what somebody is willing to give you for one now days...

14-Nov-18
Does the takedown have curved or straight limb beds? I would be interested in the takedown 55# limbs for the right price.

15-Nov-18
what are the advantages/disadvantages to the curved limb beds? Is this a pro or con?

15-Nov-18
I THINK that Fred Asbell always did curved beds, where the folks he sold to did not. Or maybe it was the next bunch... Seems like that company changed hands a bunch of times. Anyway, there are a lot of Fred Asbell fans out there who probably wouldn’t be satisfied to own a “post-Asbell Era” Bighorn, but JMO, that’s nuts.

I have a “flat-bed” TD from 2000, and it just plain shoots. Not crazy fast, but really smooth on the draw, and built like a tank. The first time I shot it, it sorted my arrows into a pair of 2” groups at 20 yards. Carbons on the bullseye and 3 sizes of aluminum at 8:00 about 6” away.

That was the day I stopped shooting aluminum.

15-Nov-18
GF - "I THINK that Fred Asbell always did curved beds, where the folks he sold to did not."

Yeah, think you're right... Also agree they were not the fastest bow on the market at the time, but I really liked mine...

McCree - Don't know if any advantage if you had curved beds, but do know you had to send the riser back if wanted spare limbs later to be fitted...

Tom - Did you advertise it or ask over on the LeatherWall, I did not see anything?

15-Nov-18
I have a Colorado Bighorn td, which was the cheaper model. It has curved limb beds. I had to have the limbs replaced because of a delam and did not have to send in the riser, and they fit perfectly. Incidentally, when I called about the delam, I had new limbs within 2 wks no questions asked.

16-Nov-18
Well, you have to put them in context for what Asbell wanted in a bow; with the “instinctive” shooting method that he advocated, he was extremely unlikely to be shooting past 30, but more likely maybe than most to be hunting in difficult terrain, so his emphasis was probably more on pointabiity and durability - or at least those are among the foremost qualities of the flatbed model that I have. And as I said before - very smooth, for a fluid and seemingly effortless draw.

• Sitka Gear