BOWNBIRDHNTR 16-Nov-18
BagginBigguns 16-Nov-18
EmbryOklahoma 16-Nov-18
Zbone 16-Nov-18
Franzen 16-Nov-18
t-roy 16-Nov-18
APauls 16-Nov-18
15-Nov-18
What percentage of does do you think have been bred in your area up to today? Please give your state/region if you will. My wife and I were discussing this and found it curious. We were thinking it was around 75-80% in our area of SE Oklahoma. Too high?

Thanks!

15-Nov-18
I think your guesstimate is close for NW OK as well.

15-Nov-18

elk yinzer's Link
PA this link has good info

15-Nov-18
Dang it, I lose. I called “bowriter”

15-Nov-18
I knew I was going to get a few with that thread starter. Lol!

15-Nov-18
half or a bit better, eastern NY

15-Nov-18
lol got me too. It was the dot dot dot...

15-Nov-18
Id figure half of them.

15-Nov-18
I'm guessing here, but I'd say it's pertnear 0% in interior Alaska as of today.

15-Nov-18
Since this is whitetail forum, I'm guessing you're pretty close, Nicky. :)

15-Nov-18
Given the statistical properties of the normal distribution (or bell-shaped curve) and the highly published peak rut date of November 15th, I would say that we are at 50%. :)

15-Nov-18
0 in AZ

15-Nov-18
Probably 10-15%; just getting started here in north Alabama and breeding won't end until February. Maybe 20% in extreme southern Tennessee.

15-Nov-18

I've gone through hundreds of the "Clearblue tests" in the last week here in KS

15-Nov-18
Yeah, I'll go with half too, at least half, maybe closer to 75%...

15-Nov-18
As of this morning, (was in a meeting with biologists and this came up,), about 45%. To date deer kill is down about 3,000 animals from last year, mostly antlered bucks. Within 10-days, approx. 70% of our does will be bred.

15-Nov-18
sitO - "72.5"... I like that...8^) Okay, so I went between 50 and 75%, closer to the higher, I'll nail it down as 63%...8^)))

15-Nov-18
I’d say about 40% here in Iowa, however, I expect a major secondary rut around January 5th, but it will be isolated. We had a major cedar bough abortion outbreak the other day. I just hope it doesn’t effect next spring’s fawn crop.....or the cedar tree spawn.

15-Nov-18
I DID see a white owl this morning!

15-Nov-18
t-roy, That's why deer prefer the soft white pines rather than the short needle spruce. Them dang spruce needles are pokin thru their uterus!

15-Nov-18
Lmao! Where'd this thread go? Now we just need TBM to chime in.

15-Nov-18
I'd guess 30% in central Arkansas.

For an explanation of the above see the cigar thread.

15-Nov-18
I'll go along with the half. I base this on the break up of large doe groups on my game cams as well as personal observation of some yearlings still with mama and some are not. By thanksgiving weekend it will be closer to 75%. Around the second week in December the buck sightings will pick up again as they will be searching for any un-bred does as well as fawns that may be large enough to come into estrus. That is my considered and very unprofessional opinion.

15-Nov-18
Wisconsin: 70% I’d guess that the majority of those does remaining are younger ones... Some good rut action yet!

16-Nov-18
Why make a math word problem out of something we have no control over anyway?

16-Nov-18
I’m saying we are approaching the 60-70 percent range. It’s full rut right now. Next week will be better hunting. As they be cruising more.

16-Nov-18
I witnessed tons of chasing and bucks cruising from the nov. 1st through 10th. It's slowed to a few doe sightings now. Full rut? "Lock down stage"? Rut in it's final stages? Rut over? It goes from madness to zero here in SE Oklahoma.

16-Nov-18
Probably a hot doe a half mile away that has 8 bucks dogging her. The rut phases are BS. Lockdown just means you didn't luck into hot action that particular day in your specific location. It doesn't mean every buck in the county, state, or region suddenly finds a love cave to disappear to and bone all day.

16-Nov-18
Lock down stage. Where I hunt we have some bigger fields with regrowth of corn that was chopped earlier in the summer and I'm seeing big bucks out there just standing with does. If it was an area with limited visibility I would be seeing very little movement.

16-Nov-18
Yinzer... that's kind of my thoughts on it too. That's why I put it in quotations.

What is the cycle time once a doe comes into estrus?

16-Nov-18
Here in Wi it's full lock down. It exists fellas, it's a thing. We see many small bucks just being deer and feeding normally. But all the mature deer I'm seeing fight now are tending does along tree lines and fence rows. That's been about a week now. Doe groups are building again so guessing 60-70% are bred already.

16-Nov-18
I'm watching 4 does now... eating. My wife saw a dozen does together, 3 days ago. No bucks near. It could be a "lock down", with certain doe groups, who knows. It's just talk... I'm hunting, regardless.

16-Nov-18
TBM is to busy advising his brother on proper cigar rolling techniques.

16-Nov-18
"t-roy, That's why deer prefer the soft white pines rather than the short needle spruce. Them dang spruce needles are pokin thru their uterus!"

I believe the term is "uteri".

16-Nov-18
Since "lock down" is now on topic, here's some questions.... are the bucks sensing by smell that this doe will come into estrus or is the doe already in estrus and he's waiting for her to give it up? What is the length when a doe begins and ends her cycle?

Thinking back, I do remember a time when I took a midday nap in my truck and woke up to a doe bedded under a tree just 15 yards from my truck. I was like WTF?! I then looked behind her about 10 yards and there was a 100" 8 point bedded behind her. It was about this time frame too. Lock down?

By the way... stick, Lana slept in this morning. She's locked down in the camper, cuddled with Tater tot. Lol

16-Nov-18
"Lock down" isn't the correct term... A buck doesn't lock them down nor tie them down in a cave or love shack, he just follows the doe everywhere she goes, they are "hooked up"...8^) They do seem to find small isolated places to get away from other bucks and whatever though...

16-Nov-18
"It doesn't mean every buck in the county, state, or region suddenly finds a love cave to disappear to and bone all day. "

Sure the "lock down" rut phase is BS when you make up your own silly definition for it.

I use the term "lock down" to describe the time when does are getting generally receptive and a lot of the bucks (read not all) are tending instead of chasing. We often see this happening in out-of-the ordinary places here too, where people may not be hunting. Thus, "lock down" coinciding with a period of less action (on avg.) for the hunter. Of course, that is my definition, but it is one that actually makes sense, instead of just silly blabber.

16-Nov-18
I thought the plural of uterus was uterusess.?

16-Nov-18
t-roy I got married young and have never had to worry about the plural of uterus so I'll take your word for it ;)

• Sitka Gear