muliemad 18-Nov-18
snapcrackpop 18-Nov-18
muliemad 19-Nov-18
Lost Arra 19-Nov-18
snapcrackpop 19-Nov-18
oldgoat 20-Nov-18
Wild Bill 20-Nov-18
15-Nov-18
I’m going from a full body harness to to RC harness. I have a bunch of carabiners from treestand safety ropes.

What tether would you suggest? Length??

Can I use the carabiner that already have or do I need something else?

What other accessories would you suggest that I get?

Where’s the best place to buy the stuff that I need?

Thanks for your help!

15-Nov-18
I use this to connect my rc harness to tree strap with carabiners. I connect via carabiner, my rc harness direct to prusic knot on tree rope when going up and down. This system works awesome.

https://www.backcountry.com/petzl-connect-adjust?

15-Nov-18

arbe25's embedded Photo
arbe25's embedded Photo
arbe25's embedded Photo
arbe25's embedded Photo
arbe25's embedded Photo
arbe25's embedded Photo
Here is my system. I make my own lineman's rope and tethers from 9-11 mm static line from rei or backcountry. Also use a good carabiner... the ones you get with treestands are crap and weigh a ton.

15-Nov-18
Hunt98, what are u hunting out of?

Ladder, climber or hang-on?

16-Nov-18
I’m mostly hunting out of ladderstands but I have a few hangon that I use also. No climbers.

16-Nov-18
Once the hang-on & ladder are set-up, your tether (from the lifeline to the RC) would be approximately the same length. I would go with about 2'. Just enough rope to be at a comfortable distance from the tree to your waist during the climb.

Once in the tree, attach it about head level & have just enough slack to sit.

18-Nov-18
Can someone show how your hooked to a tree with this setup?

18-Nov-18

snapcrackpop's Link
https://youtu.be/3mcEgEx-VhY

19-Nov-18
Okay this may be a dumb question but if you fall how does a harness that is hooked at the waist keep you from flipping upside down?

19-Nov-18
Hard to explain but it just doesn't happen. I've tried to get upside down and it's not easy. It's the design of the harness incorporating both your waist AND legs. Either that or it's magic.

19-Nov-18
the only way i can figure someone would flip upside down is if they are shaped like an upside down bowling pin.

20-Nov-18
I use a 120cm runner I think they call it and I think that's the length stretched out tight, bought it at REI with my harness. And to answer the question about falling and not flipping, it's just the design and as somebody mentioned in another thread, who falls farther and more often, rock climbers or treestand hunters, RC harnesses are so much better and secure and safe if you fall! Plus you can change your upper layers while you're wearing it, that's a huge bonus where I live with the big temperature swings we tend to have.

20-Nov-18

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Wild Bill's embedded Photo
muliemad,

I have since added a small thin piece of line that holds the carabiner fast to the tree, thus not allowing the tether to slip down the tree behind me. One end is attached to the tether with a hitch that holds under tension, but will slide when slack. The other end is a bowstring loop(that is used by catching it on the carabiner) that I can shrink and draw tight with. When the tether is loose the loop can be enlarged and is basically reset for the next use. At the moment I don't have a picture, but after Thanksgiving I am certain I can then post it here. In effect the small line pulls the carabiner to the tether line going around the tree, thus bridging the joint where the carabiner goes around the tether.

With regard to the waist belt and flipping upside down. It won't, and can allow you to hang head down, such as, when you are unconscious. Most of your body weight is above the waist, if you have one.

http://www.survivalworld.com/knots/bowstring-knot.html

This is a site which shows the bow string loop knot. It starts with an overhand knot, but I have since learned that it works better by starting with a figure eight knot. With the overhand knot, depending on the line material, the overhand knot can slip along the line and change position, the figure eight will not do this. I've never had the loop slip and need a stopper knot in the end of the line as shown, but is does make a handy spot to pull the loop smaller. To open the loop, remove tension and spread the loop from the sides. The loop knot is strongest when the loop is elongated(as on a bow tip) and weakens as the loop widens. It also works as a tension knot for tying down loads.

• Sitka Gear