Mertyman 21-Feb-19
spike buck 21-Feb-19
spike buck 21-Feb-19
spike buck 10-Mar-19
Alexis Desjardins 11-Mar-19
spike buck 11-Mar-19
spike buck 11-Mar-19
11-Feb-19
Hunter was in the Quincey at 4:00 pm and tagged out by 5:00 pm Feb 10th. Now off this afternoon to get his CITIES permit and the export.

11-Feb-19
Picture wont download.

11-Feb-19

OntarioJoe's embedded Photo

11-Feb-19
We had it at the mnr for all of its paperwork, conservation officer claimed it's the largest he has seen. Congratulations to our hunter from Minnesota

11-Feb-19
Looks like a giant. Congrats! Any other pics of it?

11-Feb-19
Looks huge more pics please!!!

11-Feb-19
Awesome! Now that is a very good wolf!

11-Feb-19
Wow, congrats! Estimate on weight?

11-Feb-19
He’d eat you. That things a monster!

11-Feb-19
Was over a 100 pounds for sure. A male. Had 3 others on the way in behind him. I am having troubles downloading pics . We checked the stomach contents and it was completely empty. He was running on empty!!!

Just for the record...wolf hunting is usually not this easy!!

11-Feb-19
Most people do not realize just how big a 100lb+ wolf is, that’s huge.

11-Feb-19
Congrats to the hunter & to you to Chris. That’s a monster of a wolf!

11-Feb-19
What was once a bad Wolf is now a GOOD Wolf. Shoot more.

12-Feb-19
So the hunter arrived at about 1:00 pm. Settled in to his room and he was deciding whether to hunt the last 3 hours of daylight. Changed his mind twice and then said "Lets Go hunt". As I was driving him to his trail head, I noticed wolves had come out to the road checking all the deer trails and peeing on the snow banks.

The wolves have not been to the Quibell cabin area for about 5 days so I knew they were here again and that we better hunt them that afternoon. Took him in to his Quincey and he settled in.

After only 45 minutes here comes 4 wolves running along the snowmachine trail to the bait. He picked out the largest and pulled the trigger. Snow clouded his view and after the snow settled he could see the wolves head bobbing around so he finished the wolf off.

He phoned me and I missed his call. I phoned him back but no answer. I phoned Joe to and we asked in dismay" Think he got one already??" Then he called me and he had himself a huge wolf. The ALPHA male of the pack.

WE went to gut the wolf. It was -36 below so taking pics was tough because of our breath was fogging the camera in the pitch dark. When we got the wolf back to the truck, via snowmachine, we set the wolf in the bed. Got back to outpost and the wolf was froze solid to the bed. So we decided its best for him to thaw it out in his garage when he got home to Mn. So the only pics I have are the ones in the dark. My computer is not letting me put pics up.

Wolves usually are not this easy as most wolf hunters can attest to. But we look good in this hunters mind!!! Chris.

12-Feb-19

Better photo as the wolf was unloaded at his taxidermist in Minnesota!

12-Feb-19
GD, that this is yuuuge! Congrats

12-Feb-19
Good job Chris

12-Feb-19
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing

12-Feb-19

spike buck's embedded Photo
Snow Quincey....hunters can actually stay pretty warm as the sun warms up the inside and the heat stays in. We pile up snow and then hollow it out. Just like when we were kids!!! Need a low profile chair such as a chair used for Turkey hunting.

12-Feb-19
Very ingenious box blind set up! I hope you don't mind me stealing the idea. We use wooden box blinds but the cold and scent can be a problem. This will help on both. Thanks

12-Feb-19

Wolves perch on top of Quincey to get better view of bait site. Even had them crawl in to get out of the wind.LOL.
Wolves perch on top of Quincey to get better view of bait site. Even had them crawl in to get out of the wind.LOL.
Yes Mike, it works awesome!! At a distance looks like a snow covered rock to a wolf. When the hunter shot his wolf, the others took off running towards the Quincey!!

12-Feb-19
"WE went to gut the wolf."

Curious, why would you gut the wolf?

12-Feb-19
His taxidermist gave him instructions to gut it. Joe was more than happy to....although I usually don't gut them.

13-Feb-19

13-Feb-19
Great hunt and set up!

13-Feb-19
Don't mind a bit Mike. I now use barrel baits at my bear bait sites...after reading yours and the many other bowsite sponsors threads. Our family has been in the bear business for 45 years and I'm always catching up on new techniques.

Thanks guys!!

13-Feb-19
I’ve think I’ve stolen all my best ideas from someone along the way. Being humble enough to not think you have it all figured out is the best learning tool.

13-Feb-19

14-Feb-19
Why gut the wolf? you ask. Try skinning one when most are gut shot or they freeze then thaw and belly turns a bit green. The smell sticks to your hands for days too.

14-Feb-19
as Ron said and good way to warm up the hands!!

14-Feb-19
Hunter got back to us today, weighed 106 pounds gutted out.

16-Feb-19

north560's embedded Photo
north560's embedded Photo
Great Wolf looks bigger than the actual size at 106 lb. We had one taken last fall at 208 lb great coat, took it with one shot, When hunter went down the stand to make sure it was dead and had the pack howling all around him , eerie.

16-Feb-19
Are you sure Lydia, that it wasn't 108 rather than 208??? Been hunting wolves for many years...never seen one any where near that size (208). Also, your hunter has a nice trophy.!!

16-Feb-19
208 that a lot of wolf, I found this information: World Record Wolf. This wolf was shot in Drayton Valley, Alberta. It weighed over 230 lbs beating the previous world's record of 175lbs.

16-Feb-19
Showing a 285 in Minnesota also.

16-Feb-19
Good info Brian!!

16-Feb-19
285 seems far fetched!! It states average North American Male Wolf weighs an average of 100 Lbs.

17-Feb-19
The 1st pic is deceiving....if that was an accurate pic of the wolf and the hunter that would be a 200 lb wolf. The 2nd pic is a realistic 100 plus pound wolf.

Nice wolf regardless.

17-Feb-19
The first pic was a bad pic. I had to guess where the hunter and wolf was in the dark. 2nd pic was a much better pic during the day and yes showed the animals true weight in the pic. This wolf had 5 inches of hair.

17-Feb-19
Regardless of how big, it's big enough and has feasted on plenty of moose and deer. Can't shoot enough to keep up!

17-Feb-19
Wolf hunts are notorious for misery and failure....the fact this happened so fast and with a great animal as the result is the real story. Congrats.

17-Feb-19
Congrats Spike and the hunter!

Mark

17-Feb-19
I have next weekend free. Tell Joe I'll be up Saturday morning, but have to be at school Monday 7:30 am. That should be plenty of time to harvest, have breakfast at Quackers, and get home.

20-Feb-19
So, one hunter has been hunting a certain site since Sunday aft. Wolves all over the area but only at night with the full moon. Today Joe Tanner decided to go sit in the Quincey with the hunter and use his remote caller. He used the buck fawn in distress call followed by a wolf frenzy call.

About 3 minutes after a series of calls here comes 2 Wolves running the snow machine trail to Joe and the hunter in the Quincey. Joe tell,s the hunter to take the first Wolf as it was bigger of the 2.

The wolf stopped, turned broadside and the hunter shot and missed the Wolf. The wolf ran up one side of the Valley and the 2nd ran up the opposite side of the Valley. A few seconds later the one he missed came back out and ran towards where the other one ran and the hunter shot the second time and missed.

Joe looked all over and confirmed 2 misses. Try again tomorrow!!

20-Feb-19
There getting some action anyway that will get the blood flowing. Good Job on the setups Chris

21-Feb-19
Thanks Alexis....today we took hunters out before day break. Wolves were on the move just before dawn so I hope we get to tag a couple today. Joe is going to call for the 2nd hunter this afternoon. Have 2 hunters this week. Father and son. Son seen one but he was not ready for a shot. Father seen 2 and missed one.

Full moon has affected the daytime activity but calling is a great way to bring them in front of the hunter.

21-Feb-19
Just curious, how far is the average shot and how far were the misses?

21-Feb-19
Misses were 125 yards. Guide said hunter was not nervous about his shot. Plain miss. Average shot is about 100 yards to bait site.

21-Feb-19

Trail into bait site full of wolf tracks
Trail into bait site full of wolf tracks
Hunting blind.
Hunting blind.
Inside blind... about a 50 yard shot.
Inside blind... about a 50 yard shot.
Wolf tracks going into our Wolf site. Next weeks bait setup.

10-Mar-19

Feb 2018 trophy that the hunter just got back from the Taxidermist!!
Feb 2018 trophy that the hunter just got back from the Taxidermist!!
Feb 2018 Wolf called into the bait site.
Feb 2018 Wolf called into the bait site.

11-Mar-19
U have a pile of wolves up there it must be taking it tole on your moose and deer population?

11-Mar-19

LOL had a pile of Wolves...We have no moose left in WMU #8. We trap wolves after each hunt to rid them off the private lands so they are maintained well. Wolves are actually on the decrease in WMU #8. Bears are the biggest predator of moose. We always had moose in WMU # 8 until the Spring hunt was cancelled in 1999. Then gradually the moose declined to Endangered category.

11-Mar-19

Nephew traps our properties. Here is one snared wolf!!
Nephew traps our properties. Here is one snared wolf!!
There are 2 Wolf outfitters in the Dryden area. The other outfitter only hunts wolves. He has taken 1 wolf for the season. But his customers seen them. We have taken 3 wolves since opener. Wolves are VERY hard to hunt at the best of times.

When Wisconsin had a wolf season, there were just a certain number of tags given. Most of the tags were filled by trapping them not hunting them.

• Sitka Gear