Moultrie Mobile
If you could... who and where would you?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Mossyhorn 18-Feb-19
MTNRCHR 18-Feb-19
IdyllwildArcher 18-Feb-19
BULELK1 18-Feb-19
Mule Power 18-Feb-19
Lee 18-Feb-19
ki-ke 18-Feb-19
Jaquomo 18-Feb-19
Whocares 18-Feb-19
Forest bows 18-Feb-19
yooper89 18-Feb-19
ElkNut1 18-Feb-19
Mossyhorn 18-Feb-19
drycreek 18-Feb-19
goelk 18-Feb-19
Mossyhorn 18-Feb-19
Fuzzy 21-Feb-19
Ollie 21-Feb-19
Catscratch 21-Feb-19
JohnMC 21-Feb-19
Beendare 21-Feb-19
Mossyhorn 21-Feb-19
Mossyhorn 21-Feb-19
Jaquomo 21-Feb-19
Mossyhorn 21-Feb-19
Whocares 22-Feb-19
Jaquomo 22-Feb-19
18-Feb-19
I’m starting to consider an elk hunt for my dad. Having my two brothers and I pitch in and see what we can come up with for a truly epic elk hunting experience for him. I’m thinking a private ranch with moderate to easier terrain. He doesn’t get around like he use to.

Looking at an OTC tag or Voucher. Some place he’s gonna see lots of elk and just get the full rutting, bugling, unpressured experience. He’s never really got that.

If this costs 8k, then it costs 8k. We want to do something special for him. As for states, it doesn’t really matter. Montana, Colorado or New Mexico on a voucher, probably? I’ve looked at the Cielo Vista but would like to see what else is out there.

It’s a lot of money, but in the end, what’s it worth the get your dad on the hunt of his dreams?

18-Feb-19
Hill Ranch or Cielo Vista would be my choice but they're both going to be at least twice as much as $8k plus there is usually a long waiting list to book with a high end ranch like those.

18-Feb-19
Don't rule out a CWMU hunt in Utah. If you're able to call elk for him, the cost can go completely towards a high quality tag, cutting out the cost of the outfitter.

18-Feb-19

BULELK1's Link
+1 Iddy

See my link mossyhorn

You all are dang good Son's man.

Good luck, Robb

18-Feb-19
If you had at least 4 points in Wyoming I’d say Triple Three Outfitters

18-Feb-19
Consider the altitude for him if he’s getting up there in age and can’t train cardio wise like he used to. Big difference in 7000 feet vs 10 or 11! I hunted around 10500 one time coming from sea level and in some pretty mean shape and the first couple of days were miserable. Hunted 7k a few times and it’s a walk in the park in comparison. Just something to think about if you hadn’t already!

He will be one proud dad when he gets his present! Good on you guys!

Lee

18-Feb-19
Joe- Trip 3 is 4-5 years out on their private deal....

18-Feb-19
Bear Mountain Ranch near Kremmling CO. Its exactly what you describe. Elevation is between 8200-9200, OTC, tons of elk with some big bulls (a woman killed a 380 with bow this past season). Great accommodations, moderate terrain, and waay less than $8K.

18-Feb-19

Whocares's embedded Photo
Whocares's embedded Photo
I second Jaq's recommendation. Archery hunt is $4500 in a rustic camp with cabins and hot shower and $5000 at the more plush lodge. The hunts are the same. To be exact her bull was 377 and here's a picture of her.

18-Feb-19
Rocking R Ranch Great place.

18-Feb-19
Bear Mountain is a great outfitter. Would also highly suggest.

18-Feb-19
Riley, I have no suggestions for you but just wanted to say that it's awesome wanting to do this for your Dad! Good Luck!

ElkNut/Paul

18-Feb-19
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Those 10,000 ft elevations would probably be a killer, like mentioned. My dad lives around 500 ft.

Our dad got us into biehunting early. I was out bowhunting with him in Oregon when I was 9 and started carrying a bow alongside with him at 12. I know it was challenging keeping a kid that age engaged when we’d go days without hearing or seeing anything. I know he sacrificed his hunts sometimes to take us along. Now, my brothers and I hunt at a level that he just can’t handle anymore. The steep terrain and long miles. So he often stays in camp or at home, which doesn’t feel right. I feel it’s time to sacrifice some of our hunts for him and return the favor.

18-Feb-19
Mossyhorn, good on you and your brothers !

18-Feb-19
Really check out Bear Mountain , way cheaper then 8k

18-Feb-19
I’ve checked out bear mountains website and Facebook pages. They do kill some big bulls. Says their archery hunts are only 4 days long?

Also would like for us to tag along with him but not sure if that’s feasible on a guided hunt? Never done anything guided before.

21-Feb-19
Jennifer Aniston and in the shower

21-Feb-19
Non-hunters can attend most camps but expect to pay several hundred bucks per day. Inquire in advance to booking if you want to be in camp as a non-hunting participant. Also get it clear whether you can go into the field with your Dad or if you are only allowed to hang around camp.

21-Feb-19
"Who and where?" Heidi Klum, and I wouldn't really care where...

21-Feb-19
If I was picking Heidi Klum the where would have to be about the year 2005.

21-Feb-19
San Carlos indian res in AZ would be something to see....

as would that Vermejo ranch in NM

Something tells me that Bear mtn is going to be booked for many years now.....though only 4 day hunts?

21-Feb-19
The San Carlos would be awesome. Looks like it’s a lottery draw?

21-Feb-19
The San Carlos would be awesome. Looks like it’s a lottery draw?

21-Feb-19
Whocares can chime in but I believe the 4 days at Bear Mountain is for rifle hunts.

I have no affiliation with them except I used to have permission to hunt there before they started outfitting.

21-Feb-19
Thanks Lou, bear mountain is definitely at the top of the list so far.

22-Feb-19
The 4 day hunts at Bear Mtn are archery. Rifle hunts are 5 days. You would think it might be the other way around but it's based on available days. If the hunts were 5 days he couldn't really get 4 hunts in. Hunters arrive mid-day Wednesday and get organized, shoot,etc. Then hunt Thursday thru Sunday and pack up and leave camp Monday. The staff then cleans cabins, kitchen, re-supplies etc, and get Tuesday off. . Then come back and start over Wednesday. So 5 days would not work well. In four days the hunters encounter a lot of elk. The rifle hunts are determined by the dates set for first, second, third, and fourth seasons by the State.

22-Feb-19
Thanks, Whocares. He WILL have plenty of opportunities in 4 days of hunting, especially if its the right 4 days. Its not incommon to hear 10-15 different bulls bugling in a morning, sometimes all on top of each other.

• Sitka Gear