Kurt 22-Feb-19
Elite 1 22-Feb-19
Kurt 22-Feb-19
MBMule 27-Feb-19
Ambush 27-Feb-19
Matt 27-Feb-19
MBMule 28-Feb-19
18-Feb-19
Who’s used one or the other, or, even better, both? I can’t justify the price tag on the Leicas so I’ve narrowed it down to these two but can’t decide. Pros and cons for whichever one you’ve used? Any other solid rangefinders that I’ve overlooked? I don’t rifle hunt, so max range isn’t that important to me. Thanks!

18-Feb-19
I like the Leupold I have. The 1000 is 3 models old so if you’re getting that one, it should be a steal.

18-Feb-19
Also look into the Sig

18-Feb-19
I had the Leupold 1000i TBR and it was great. After 6 seasons or so the display started fading on the edges so Leupold sent me a 1600i TBR for a nominal cost (warranty was for 2 years). I really like them for bowhunting as they have an instant readout of angle corrected yardage (no delay), and give angle corrected yardage in scan mode. They also read to 0.1 yards, which was super handy "surveying" around our house build. Battery life is extremely long and the case is small, making for easy carrying in my hunting shirt pocket.

I think the new version is a 2000i TBR, but it could be outdated already as laser rangefinders are like iPhones.

I have no experience with the Vortex you mention, but had once read that some of their models were slow in giving you a yardage...which is very aggravating on a spot and stalk bowhunt. (As is my Leica 1000R which serves as a backup to my Leupold for that reason). Good luck!

18-Feb-19
I will second the Sig, I sold my Vortex and bought the Sig. It is a lot faster acquiring a target.

18-Feb-19
I have had both. I opted for the Leopold 1200i TBR. It seemed faster than the vortex and more user friendly

18-Feb-19
Cant beat the vortex..

18-Feb-19
Have only really used the Leupold in the field but from all I hear and read the Sig should be in the mix when looking for a new one. Edit: I really am pleased with the Leupold though. Very good rangefinder, no real complaints.

18-Feb-19
Have had a TBR 1000 for approx 5 years guiding I use it for 7-8 months per year have never had an issue an only changed the battery once clear, fast, accurate, durable, Zero complaints. great rangefinder for the price. I guide rifle hunters also and it works just fine for that as well.

19-Feb-19
I hated my vortex ranger 1000, my old bushnell scout was much faster, I now have the leupold it so much better

19-Feb-19
Following this closely as I'm looking at the same 2 myself!

19-Feb-19
I have a leupold 1200. accurate, angle is on all the time and its small

19-Feb-19
I've had the 1000tbr for way too many years. Since it was brand new essentially to the market. Dang thing just keeps right on trucking. So while I would love to give you experience on both, the Leupy has just been too reliable. Prob only changed the battery 3 times in gosh I don't know 6-7 years? Fast, and LED readout is great. Since I bought mine a number of my friends have them. Can't remember if I turned Tyler onto it or not.

19-Feb-19
I’d rank them in this order:

SIG - only downside is it wasn’t waterproof when I bought it, not sure about now

Leupold - because the LED doesn’t automatically adjust to light conditions

Leica - because it doesn’t give immediate angle adjusted range

Vortex - because it’s the slowest of the bunch

19-Feb-19
Bought a vortex 1300 last year and it has been great for me. No problems. It replaces a Nikon I got in 2003 that still works great, but I was having problems seeing the read out so had to go to a led. Greg

19-Feb-19
Leupold

19-Feb-19
One of the things in my life I never thought I'd say.....

"I really need to upgrade my laser rangefinder....." On my third.....

19-Feb-19
The Vortex required an extra button push when I tried them about 5 years ago.

I bought the Leopold. The Oled display on the Leopold unit is excellent in low light.

19-Feb-19
I've ran a old nikon(awful), a vortex 1000(took several clicks and ate up batteries and now run leupold 1600 which is by far the fastest and most reliable I've used to date.

20-Feb-19
I haven’t had an issue with my SIG in cold weather. Could be guys batteries where already low and the cold put them over the edge.

20-Feb-19
Vortex has the multiple clicks issue fixed now. I love my Vortex.

20-Feb-19
Leupold and it ain't close

20-Feb-19
Leica

20-Feb-19
I have a vortex 1500. Very happy with it. I believe the 1300 replaced it. The 1500 has received much better reviews than the original 1000.

I have no idea on the Leupold.

20-Feb-19
Another Vortex vote here!!! Best warranty in the business by far!!!

21-Feb-19
The one thing that Vortex has that I really like, and that I haven’t saw on any other rangefinder is the side clip. It would be perfect to clip to the side of my bino harness to keep it easily accessible but out of the way, especially in the treestand.

I don’t see anywhere that the Leupold has it, but can anyone who’s owned it tell me if it would be possible to add a springsteel clip to the side without damaging anything?

22-Feb-19
The only thing I liked on the vortex was the clip, the leupold doesn't have a clip

22-Feb-19
Can I ask you guys what’s the farthest you ever ranged a deer or elk with these? I have the Leupold 1000 and never range a deer past 600 yds.

22-Feb-19
I've used the Leuopold RX-1000 TBR for a number of years and really liked it. It quit functioning well this Fall but didn't bother sending it in though Leuopold has very good warranty. Just bought the Leuopold RX 1300 TBR. A little smaller and nice to hold. Just figured newer is a little better. ??

22-Feb-19
I have a vortex 1500. Very happy with it. I believe the 1300 replaced it. The 1500 has received much better reviews than the original 1000.

I have no idea on the Leupold.

22-Feb-19
Elite 1: On reflective objects...like trees, either pine or deciduous with leaves the Leupold 1600i TBR gets me to 1400 yards easily. On a deer you'd have to have a very good rest to definitely range the deer way out there in a flat field. Your 600 yard range may be about it hand holding on a deer with most rangefinders without a good rest. That said, on a tripod with Leica Geovid 15x56 you can range a prairie dog at 1200 yards (1400 yd laser rating), and suspect a tripod mounted handheld would do 3/4 of its rated yardage at a deer. Kurt

22-Feb-19
Kurt thanks so much that explains it,yes no tripod it must be working as expected.

22-Feb-19
And deer hair isn't very reflective either, and a black color phase black bear even less so. A friend replaced his "archery model" rangefinder as it wouldn't range black bears at bow range. His Leupold 1000i TBR does fine on them though.

27-Feb-19
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I just got a new RX1200i TBR with DNA for $200 on eBay.

27-Feb-19
"A friend replaced his "archery model" rangefinder as it wouldn't range black bears at bow range. His Leupold 1000i TBR does fine on them though."

Yup, that was me, and yes I did and yes it does.

27-Feb-19
Vortex unfortunately needs the best warranty in the business due to the elevated failure rate. I wouldn't trust one on an important hunt. Or any hunt dor that matter.

28-Feb-19
Double post, somehow a day later.

• Sitka Gear