Franklin 20-Feb-19
Junior 21-Feb-19
Bill Obeid 21-Feb-19
Franklin 21-Feb-19
Jaquomo 21-Feb-19
76aggie 28-Feb-19
Beendare 28-Feb-19
20-Feb-19
My sons and I have been using the alps single man lynx tent with vista for a few years. We use thermarest and coleman 0 degree dummy bags . This set up is nice and light for a spike camp at 10,000'. Cons: It's definitely tiny when you have to stay in very long because of weather. Also when the snow gets deep as you sleep. It cuts off the tents ability to breath around the bottom and it starts to sweat. The vista is tiny, just big enough for a pack and bow. I actually made the mistake of putting my boots out there one night, only to have froozen solid boots the next am. What are you guys using?

20-Feb-19
When I hunt with friends we set up a small "gear tent". We then use a tent with a fly. You can get away with a lesser tent when using a fly over your tent and also get a nice awning area out of it.

21-Feb-19
I guess the alps has served its purpose, I just wished Id got a two man for the room. Its only 3.5 lbs, so not heavy. It's with stood 30 mph winds and 8" of snow too, so again not bad. We piled limbs around the base of each one, and that helped the sweating during snow. I like the extra tent idea for gear. I just need to talk one of the sons into packing an extra? lol I am sure I'd get cussed over that one! It's just some of these climbs are brutal! Last hunt had 2000' dam near vertical climb. You soon learn to cut the weight.

21-Feb-19
Look at a Kifaru Supertarp and see if that won’t satisfy your needs ....

21-Feb-19
Like Bill suggested....any additional shelter will do for gear. We used a 1 man solo tent for our gear which was only a couple of pounds. You can do the same with the lightweight tarp.

21-Feb-19
Kifaru Paratarp weighs around a pound and works great for gear storage for several guys, or for an outdoor dining/hangout fly. You can also use it for a one man spike tent, or a two man emergency shelter.

28-Feb-19
I have a Seek Outside 4 man (which means 2 man) and a Seek Outside Redcliffe which is a little bit bigger. Both very light weight and packable and have an optional titanium stove which is only ozs. as well.

28-Feb-19

Beendare's embedded Photo
DIY tipi
Beendare's embedded Photo
DIY tipi
What you will find is there are many trade-offs with these backpack tents.

Quality: There’s a big difference between something like a Hillenberg or HS Tarptents.......... and some of the cheapie Chinese stuff

Design: lots of trade-offs here in function, weight There just isn’t one perfect answer for everyone or every situation.

Pictured is my DIY Tipi w/stove.

On other trips i will use my 2# 4oz Tarptent- just depends

• Sitka Gear