Wild Sheep
Contributors to this thread:
Muley Obsession 22-Feb-19
Treeline 22-Feb-19
Ermine 22-Feb-19
JRABQ 22-Feb-19
Treeline 22-Feb-19
22-Feb-19
Does anyone know who drew the s38 sheep tag in 2017 or 2018? Any success in either of those years?

22-Feb-19
Wasn’t me.

Talked to the biologist out there and was very surprised at his response. His take was that the unit should be cleared out and restarted because domestic sheep and goats had come in contact with the wild sheep and possibly infected by pneumonia. It has been a long time since any sheep counts occurred and the population is totally an estimate.

Kind of strange that the neighboring unit is doing very well and 38 is tanked.

22-Feb-19
Kind of sad. Unit used to produce some hogs. That’s sad to hear about the domestic sheep. Used to be a decent herd and Then the population went down. I suspect lions hammered them down there but could be a number of things

22-Feb-19
There was a 6 year old ram killed in 2016, and a 5 year old ram in 2017. As noted elsewhere the 2018 data is not up yet.

22-Feb-19
The unit just south is much rougher country and the sheep are doing extremely well. Don’t think it is the lions.

The sheep in 38 are impacted by sheep and goats on private land. Unfortunately bighorns just cannot live in proximity to domestic sheep and goats.

I would really love to see another archery sheep hunt (or 10) in late seasons. Seeps silly to keep increasing rifle sheep hunts and decreasing archery hunts in this state. Seems especially silly to have most of the archery seasons in tougher times of year to hunt them or to have any rifle tags in the rut.

• Sitka Gear