lamb 20-Apr-19
BOHNTR 20-Apr-19
nmwapiti 20-Apr-19
TXCO 21-Apr-19
trophyhill 28-Apr-19
trophyhill 28-Apr-19
trophyhill 17-May-19
19-Apr-19
This is my first tag to draw here. I am not looking for honey holes, just some starting points. Deer elevation? Good bucks? Recommendations on camp; pack in a couple miles or trail head? Less congested areas of hunters and roads? I drew the 2nd rifle season(Nov 9-13). Any advice is appreciated. TIA

19-Apr-19
I know nothing about the unit other than the fact that u should have plenty company in there. U mite wanna post this in long range hunter forum. Lota 34 RIFLE hunters in it. Good luck

19-Apr-19
Wish I could offer more encouragement. I live nearby and drew the archery tag for this unit. Most units in NM are pretty good. Units 30 and 34 are "opportunity units", as in "the hunts are way oversubscribed and you might not see any bucks, but you can draw a tag and have an opportunity". I see the most deer in the pinon/juniper country, probably 5500' to 8000' elevation. It is not hard to find deer but is hard to find bucks. Water sources are limited, so finding a remote water source, a good distance from a road or ATV path, is a good place to start. About the only place you could pack in and be a few miles from a road is on the west side of the unit- there are some nasty canyons west of the Westside Road (I think it is Forest Service Road 90, Highrolls is at one end and the other end is near Bugscuffle). One good thing is most of the unit is public land (FS or BLM). You will see a lot of elk and be wishing you had a tag for them.

20-Apr-19
Concur with muddyboots. Just got back from Turkey hunting in 34. Saw more deer than usual. Actually saw 2 bucks. That is unusual. Pretty common to see some does. Had a friend rifle hunt it last year. He got a glimpse of a buck. That was it.

Find good vantage points and glass. Cover as much country as you can. Gonna be tough.

20-Apr-19
nm wapiti the bucks still had there horns? there's a lot of deer in high rolls all tucked in between the houses . same up in Cloudcroft. westside rd is probably your best bet with a rifle. lots of room to camp and a lot of land to glass. there's some nice bucks here but you it don't come easy.

btw i drew 1st season elk bow

20-Apr-19
Hike into Agua Chiquita canyon area off of mule canyon road......providing the lions haven’t eaten them all.

20-Apr-19
Lamb, yep one buck was a forkie. Another was a 3x4. Both still carrying. Also found a small 4 point shed. I was up pretty high. Spent quite a bit of time on Westside rd back when I lived in Alamogordo. Rough country.

21-Apr-19
I had the tag last year. Muddyboots described it well. I enjoyed my time but it was a challenging bow hunt. Im happy to answer specific questions if you pm me.

28-Apr-19
There is no "pack in a couple miles" in 34 ;)

28-Apr-19
There is no "pack in a couple miles" in 34 ;)

17-May-19
Lol......however, if 1 knows where to look ;)

• Sitka Gear