tradmt 19-May-19
06-May-19

hobbes's embedded Photo
hobbes's embedded Photo
hobbes's embedded Photo
hobbes's embedded Photo
hobbes's embedded Photo
hobbes's embedded Photo
I hunt turkeys with a shotgun, but thought this may interest some of you. I killed a public land bird this morning that strutted and gobbled like any turkey, but smelled bad when I picked him up.

The following photos show why. I'm assuming an expandable broadhead wound, way too far forward, since one side is larger than the other. The side with two photos is roughly a 1.5" triangle.

I was able to salvage the back 2/3 of each breast.

06-May-19
Rage outside the cage

06-May-19
That is nasty!

06-May-19
Yes it was.

It wouldn't have mattered what kind of head it was with that placement. I just assumed expandable because one hole was smaller, but maybe not.

06-May-19
There is NO WAY that I would have fed any part of that bird to my family... that infection looks nasty - simply not worth the risk.

06-May-19
I’ve had a similar experience a couple of times. And they were out strutting with hens when I shot them. Mine wasn’t that tore up though. I assumed the birds I killed were injured by spurs from another Gobbler. A 1 1/2” spur can do some serious damage. And yes, it’s a nasty smell those wounds give off.

-Mitch

06-May-19
I think you did that bird a favor

06-May-19
I agree with patience above, that would be coyote food.

06-May-19
He never skipped a beat until I shot him. He strutted with 3 hens, gobbling occasionally, most of the morning. The hens left him a little before 10 and he marched right in gobbling.

As far as feeding it to my family....the infection was localized around the wound and was easily removed. The black is the contents of the craw crusted around the wound. I removed more than enough meat.

06-May-19
Shot placement is everything with turkeys... vitals sit high and much further back then where that arrow hit.

06-May-19
Yeah, the only thing that arrow center punched was the crop. It never entered the body cavity.

07-May-19
Amazing how tough turkeys can be

07-May-19
Thats why I switched to Bullheads and never looked back.

07-May-19
That's one tough bird! I would've eaten it, too.

07-May-19
This: "Thats why I switched to Bullheads and never looked back"

07-May-19
Bullheads for me too

07-May-19
I had a buddy shoot a gobbler through the breast and called the same bird in later in the day and kill it. Didn’t know it was the same gobbler until cleaning it and saw the wound. They are tough birds.

12-May-19
I find bird shot in the skin all the time when I clean mine. (bow killed)

12-May-19

weekender21's embedded Photo
weekender21's embedded Photo
I killed a nice Tom with a bow a few weeks ago and found a few shotgun pellets! This one was in the breast, I also found one in the neck just above the breast.

12-May-19
Weekender... I've done the same! The one I shot years ago had 5-6 pellets from the lower breast to the neck area.

13-May-19
Same experience for me....more than once I've bit into lead shot while eating bow-killed turkey breast. I picture the guy, after the bird flew off at the shot, thinking.....WTH???

13-May-19
I shot one a couple years ago that had an air rifle pellet in the breast.

13-May-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
Had tough time this year 1st shot phone now this. Had pretty boy and gal out had two gobblers come in and beat on pretty boy for over 3 minutes I was at full draw 3 different times but they just wouldn’t stand still drew feathers with bullhead is there any sound or anything you can do to make them stop moving maybe just be a little bit more patience?

13-May-19
Elite 1, try "putting" at them, I have done that before.

14-May-19

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
This looked like it might have been a .22 through-and -through wound. I didn't know why it smelled bad until I sliced that side of the breast. Had we left it whole, we wouldn't have even seen it

15-May-19
Yep, I've found shot that wasn't my own on a couple of occasions. I'd venture a guess that most of the time it's the result of shooting too far.

19-May-19
“Thats why I switched to Bullheads and never looked back.“

Yup^^^^

• Sitka Gear