GhostBird 17-May-19
BTM 17-May-19
Shug 17-May-19
BTM 18-May-19
Single bevel 18-May-19
13-May-19

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
When using monkey tail silencers.. be sure the tail isn't so high on string that it works into wheel and rolls the string off of cam...

13-May-19
I have to sneak into my neighbors yard later with a ladder and pull it out of her shed

13-May-19
That's funny man

13-May-19
Funny but could have been tragic. Better a neighbors shed than a neighbors head

13-May-19
Lol! I've seen a couple similar situations from nocking loops breaking.

13-May-19
There’s some great advise right there. Don’t want to waste a good arrow and make sure you fill the hole with toothpaste or something to make it inconspicuous and keep the bugs out.

13-May-19
doh!

13-May-19
I’d have to say, after meeting you at P&Y. . . . Seems about right :) :)

13-May-19
Don’t change your set-up. Looks like good penetration!!

13-May-19

13-May-19
Funny guys... very FUnny

13-May-19
Nice group!

13-May-19
Something similar happened to me with a neighbor's shed. The woman called the sheriff and threatened to charge me with a felony. Then she wanted the entire side of the 90' metal pole barn replaced. I admitted my screwup, talked with the husband for awhile, and he got her calmed down. I only had to repair the hole. But it was scary for awhile.

13-May-19
I can’t wait for tomorrow’s “archery tip of the day” from Shug!

—Jim

13-May-19
Shug...I feel your pain. I once shot through my neighbors canoe.

13-May-19
That one’s so good, it should be the “tip of the week”

13-May-19
Oops!

13-May-19
Nice shot! I mean, if that is where you were aiming.

14-May-19
Toothpaste huh? I got to remember that one. Can you paint over toothpaste?

14-May-19
I hope they are not one of the huge number of Bowsite lurkers Pat talked about on the podcast. :)

14-May-19
Last week somehow my wife’s bow creeped on her and she punched the trigger as it happened sailed the arrow over the target across the yard and through the door of my old mans stock car lol very glad it hit there instead of the neighbors house

14-May-19
Not quite the same thing, but when I was a teenager, I was a Cadet Commander in Civil Air Patrol. We had an encampment and were all eating in a large canvas tent. We heard a strange noise, and one of our senior members looked up to find an arrow dangling by the fletching directly over his head. Some idiot kids were shooting arrows straight up in the air nearby. Fortunately, it was only a fiberglass kid's bow and the tent was pitched partly under a large tree. The branches must have slowed the arrow enough that the canvas was enough to catch it.

14-May-19
I was at the CBA Jamboree up in Camp Hale one year relaxing in the afternoon and enjoying a cool one with some of the guys at camp.

Heard a loud impact of something hitting my truck!

A couple of wild kids were on the other side of the truck and had been shooting at dirt clods and whatever so my first thought was that they had shot my truck. Went around and hollered at the kids and looked at the side of my truck but no arrow.

My buddy Dirk starts laughing and points to an arrow sticking straight up in my hood! I was kind of surprised and like where did that come from?

There was the extreme range setup about 1,000’ above us in the cliffs and we could see people walking the trail up there. It was at least 700 yards away and seemed like a very long way for an arrow to travel unless someone had intentionally shot it up in the air.

I took the arrow down to the end of the range and waited. When I recognized the arrows in a guy’s quiver I called out to him and said hey, I found your arrow! He got a puzzled look on his face and asked where as he had only lost one back on the range. I told him I’d found it stuck in my truck hood! He remembered the missed shot where he had lost his arrow, had shot high and glanced off the top of the target, but couldn’t believe his arrow could travel that far.

When walking back by another buddy’s camp that was in line with that target as well, he was really upset. He had gone into the trees on the backside of his camper to relieve himself and found 4 arrows sticking in the ground around his camper!

Luckily, none had hit his camper, his kids, or someone else around there!

We went to the CBA and they were really shocked that arrows were raining down in the campground. They offered to pay for the repairs and went up and moved that target.

14-May-19
Shed hunting at its finest!

14-May-19
First time my Dad let me go out back and shoot my bow by myself. Early 1980's, hay bales set up for a back stop. Also the first time I 'missed' the hay bales. First shot skimmed the top of the hay bales making a hard right into the side of the neighbors brand new 25 foot camper. The camper had been bought a week earlier and parked the day before. I must have been 10 or 11 and Dad had no idea a camper had shown up and I wasn't smart enough to not shoot. I was too excited because my Dad trusted me to shoot by myself. That was a tough sentence to get out of my mouth.

14-May-19
I've got some white silicone in a tube I can send you. Don't ask me why I have it.

14-May-19
Wow

14-May-19
"Shed hunting" LOL!

14-May-19
Looks like you got lucky on the tracking job, usually them high void hits are harder to find. Just can't quite say good job though:) Have enjoyed the post and the replies, thanks for the laughs.

14-May-19
LOL! I managed to put an arrow 2/3rds thru my den wall many years ago. Was sticking out of the bathroom wall right next to the toilet at about head level. Luckily it was the upstairs bathroom we never used at the time(before kids). Never drew a bow inside again! ;-)

So did you manage to get your arrow back undetected????

14-May-19
Shug, can you post a pick of that monkey tail silencer? Thanks. I just want to know what they look like so I can avoid them. :0

14-May-19
I grew up shooting recurves and long bows. Compensating for the arch of the arrow, my first shot of my friend's compoud when I was 12, went over the target and stuck in the middle of his dad's Honda 3-wheeler light. I said goodbye that day to my lawn mowing money :)

14-May-19
Was it a "buck shack" Shug or just a "she shed"?

14-May-19
Looks like Colgate would be a good color match or maybe you can talk her into some gutters.

14-May-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
A lot of things getting busted up on this tread love to see it. When I shot my work phone earlier this spring went into communications guys office. All he did was turn around and look out the window asked ok what bottom of the lake is it in lol. I said I have a lot better story this time. It’s not my 1st rodeo either.

14-May-19

Swampbuck's embedded Photo
Swampbuck's embedded Photo

14-May-19

14-May-19
After a similar incident I moved out of the city. Mine stuck in the neighbours fence and it scared me enough, because the worst of it is you know it's just a matter of time until some other fluke sends one some other way.

I mean it was just one more tool in the tickle trunk to convince my wife to get out of the concrete jungle ;)

14-May-19
I think Treeman has a pic on his phone of an arrow a couple feet away from a busy city street. . . . How about it Jim? Care to share? :)

14-May-19

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Great input guys... a few diks lol...

Trapper here ya are

15-May-19
I used white toilet paper wetted to make paper spitballs to patch up my dad's little metal shed., Never heard a peep about it! Actually stayed in there for years!

15-May-19
At least now you have proof that you can hit the broad side of a barn! Or shed rather, which is even harder.

15-May-19
Or maybe a better tip would be "think before you post"... Not to sure your neighbor couldn't actually take legal action if he got wind of this.

15-May-19

Ron Niziolek's embedded Photo
Ron Niziolek's embedded Photo
Here's a pic of my brother-in-law who won the "closest to the truck" contest years ago. Shot distance was approximately 300 yards.

15-May-19
LOL! Good thing he was aiming for the headlight and NOT the radiator! ;-)

15-May-19
Thanks, Shug. I probably wouldn't put one of those on my bow even if I owned a CP. I'd have so much brush hung up in those I wouldn't need camo. Ron, that closest-to-the-truck story reminds me of a real stupid-scary story my boss at the USFWS in WA told me once: Bunch of friends were out bowhunting once. They must have got bored. His brother stood three hundred yards or so up on a hilltop and yelled to his buddies and brother (my boss), "See how close you can come to me" (alcohol was involved). So they complied .. :/ Each took a shot (they were using Bear greenies without the inserts) and one of the arrows seemed to be headed right for his chest, so he ducked, and it missed his chest. But not low enough... it hit him in the top of his forehead, and went right through his skull, came out the back and stuck halfway out like one of those goofy arrow through the head hats... They freaked out and ran up there, and by some miracle, the blade ran in horizontal and slipped neatly between his brain and the inside of the skull without touching the brain. The blade slid through like a piece of paper under a book. They got him to a hospital and after surgery, he recovered just fine. Talk about Divine intervention. ... and the Darwin Award goes too.... drumroll...!!! This was in South Dakota just in case you were wondering what region of the US it was in... ;)

15-May-19
Wholly lucky man (still a moron, but a lucky moron) Trapper! Wow!

Bou wins the award today though... "Better in the shed than through the head"!

All of this makes me think of the time my wife shot through a computer monitor off to the side of out basement "range" - moments before saying to me, "I think I aimed with the wrong eye"... Or my buddy who thought he'd shoot in his basement as well (despite living in a great rural spot where you can shoot near 100yds outside) pulled it horribly for some reason and sent one through his brand new, thermal basement window... Ouch!

I may have hit my dads wheel barrow when I was a teen. I may have gotten in a lot of trouble for that...

15-May-19
Will, if there's a basement shooting horror story there's a good chance they have happened at my house! I have experience at repairing arrow holes in drywall, door jams, and the door on one entertainment center so far. I'm just thankful they haven't shot the dog yet!

15-May-19
Not archery, but funny, and sort of related. . . . .

I've broken a lot of stuff in my life. Including my dad's leg once. I've had a lot of occasions to go approach my parents, with a sheepish look, and confess to breaking/losing/destroying something.

But I thought I was past that when I got into my 30s. Apparently not. . . .

This was just a couple years ago. I was 35 years old or thereabouts. My dad had a groundhog under the corner of his shed. As the only hunter/shooter in the family, it's always been my job to take care of the pests

So I was at their house, and lo and behold, the groundhog pops his head out. There was only one rifle at their house at that time, my .300 Remington Ultra Magnum.

So I grabbed the rifle, and ran upstairs to my general shooting window (I've had occasion to take a few rifle shots out of this particular window). Well, I couldn't get a clean shot at the groundhog from that angle, because there's a lean-to cattle shelter right behind the shed. I waited and waited, the groundhog seemed content to stay with just his head poking out.

So finally, I hatched the plan to go out the front door, sneak around the shed, pop out left handed and pop the groundhog from about 15 feet away.

Plan worked perfectly. I did the sneak, left-handed the rifle, and slowly poked around the corner of the shed, and there was the ground-hog, big as life in a 4.5x Leupold.

Took my shot, and you don't want to see what a 200 grain .300 RUM does to a groundhog at 15 feet. HOWEVER, I'd failed to take into account that the muzzle of my rifle would be just inches from the glass of the shed window.

You guessed it, shattered that window into a thousand pieces.

And I had to sheepishly go tell my dad, for about the 1000th time, that I'd broke something again. At 35 years old . . . .

Bake

15-May-19
Quick story about shooting out of that window, and why I love my parents and where I grew up so much. . . . My parents had to institute a rule that before I shot out of the window, I'd yell down and warn them to expect a rifle shot.

Because one morning before school, I didn't yell down, and took a shot at a coyote. I think my dad cut himself shaving and my mom dropped her curler when a rifle went off above their heads.

I had a great childhood

15-May-19
Straight Missouri gangsta right there!

—Jim

15-May-19
Bake too funny!!! We had a standing rule growing up that whoever (me or my sister) spotted a mouse eating birdseed below the feeder got to shoot it with the pellet gun from the 2nd story window. Or the mean black dog that neighbors wouldn't keep in their yard...

But we weren't using rifles LOL

16-May-19

Scar Finga's embedded Photo
Glad it wasn't quartering away:0
Scar Finga's embedded Photo
Glad it wasn't quartering away:0
My buddy shot the side of his own truck... Hew was drawing his bow while "practicing, and his bugger flicker hit the bang switch.

16-May-19
I just remembered these jems…

So I have this friend, I will not share his name... Oh what the hell... Steve has shot himself in the arse with his derringer while out walking his dog. He reached into his back pocket and hit the bang switch! Just a flesh wound, but could have been very bad!

On another occasion, he (Steve) was moving a few rifles around in his safe, he had removed his M1A1 and proceeded to "hit" the trigger. I am not sure how you "accidentally" pull a trigger!?!?!?! But he was lucky, it was outside the safe when this occurred. Unfortunately it went through his ceiling and hit his fire sprinkler line, which in turn flooded his house because he couldn't fin the shut off valve (It was next to his safe) and the bullet also went through his roof after passing through the sprinkler line.

He lives in a very, very exclusive neighborhood, and I am not sure his neighbors ever found out how he flooded his own house. I think he told them he drilled a hole through the line... I teased his relentlessly for these transgressions!

16-May-19
shug now that is pretty dang funny

16-May-19
Had to close my office door....This thread has had me belling laughing for the past 10 minutes!!!

I must lead a pretty boring life compared to you guys...

. Mark

16-May-19
Shooting in my basement a few years back and I was messing with my Peep at full draw. Short of it, the arrow went and flew through my basement window and went 2 doors down and into the neighbors shed door. Not a huge deal but it was funny how the arrow took off disappeared and it took me a while to retrace the path. Be careful out there. Safety first.

17-May-19
Funny stuff guys ... I don’t feel so bad

17-May-19
A few years ago Dad had just got a brand new kingfisher jet boat. he had one of those soft vinyl tops on it that we could put up for bad weather or sun shade. I was shooting my bow in the yard safe direction practicing some longer range shots. 60 yards I think. the boat was about 40 yards behind the target but off at a 55 degree angle or so. Well I missed the target, arrow went whizzing through the brush like I have done plenty of times before. My parents are on a decent size acreage so no big deal. I spend 5 minutes looking for my arrow no luck I walk out of the brush and here are some bright fletchings sticking out of the canvas on Dads boat. My heart sank. The arrow actually broke at some point in the brush and the back 6 inches of the shaft with the fletchings was somehow able to fly and managed the hit the boat. Broke the news to dad and he was actually kinda impressed that I didn't hit the glass lol. Lucky to have such great parents.

17-May-19
Still waiting to hear how you got your arrow back Shug! ;-)

17-May-19
Perry... I cut it flush with a pair of dykes...

17-May-19
Good thinking!

17-May-19
Catch and release?

17-May-19
A friend accidently shot over his back fence and stuck an arrow in the side of a neighbor's garage about four houses down. The arrow was about five feet from an alley wall, so he waited until after dark, put on dark cammies and facepaint (like he did in VietNam when he did night ops), and tiptoed along the wall. He brought along a chunk of meat to "relocate" the neighbor's vicious dog long enough to lean out and yank out his arrow. Military training pays off!

17-May-19
Friends initials BM?

17-May-19
Great thread... I plead the fifth & have nothing to add. Keep um coming boys.

17-May-19
R.T. That's as far as I'll go, Shug. Some of the stories he told me about his SE Asia nighttime jungle adventures make me want to stay on his good side!

17-May-19
Actually I was asking if the initials were BM... lol

18-May-19
Oh, I get it now, Shug. For stunts I've pulled, the story always starts with "Here's what a dumbass buddy did."

18-May-19
There's a story about Paul Shaffer out stump shooting (with Paul Brunner if I remember correctly) and Shaf saw his 35mm camera laying on the ground near their tent ~100 yards away. They made a challenge of who could land an arrow closest to the camera. Shaf center punched the lens.

About 60 years ago, my older brothers were out in the yard goofing around with their bows and one of them took a shot at a watermelon rind laying in the yard. Great shot! He nailed the rind. The bad part was when the arrow skipped off the rind and deflected up towards the road. A car just happened to be passing at the time and the arrow hit square in the driver's side window!! Had the window been down, the guy may have been struck in the head. Of course my brothers ran and hid while the car cruised up and down the road looking for the culprit.

• Sitka Gear