StickFlicker's embedded Photo
Marvin Zieser's 259 4/8 Net - 266 2/8 Gross P&Y Mule Deer
Marvin Zieser's 259 4/8 Net - 266 2/8 Gross P&Y Mule Deer
I've had several people ask for a follow-up on the mount, age and score of my public land mule deer buck that I was fortunate to have appear on the cover of Bowhunter Magazine's Special Big Game Edition last year (August, 2018). I thought this would be a good time, just before the deer hunts begin, to help everyone get psyched for their upcoming hunts!

It took some time to get the age results back, as well as the official P&Y score since it took some time for the freeze drying process to complete and the application to be processed. The buck officially scored 266 2/8 Gross / 259 4/8 Net in P&Y. He was aged using the tooth slicing method at 6.5 years, which is younger than I would have expected. The velvet was freeze dried in a freezer for a year then treated with a velvet tanning solution, rather than placed into a commercial freeze dryer which was going to be difficult to do without splitting the skull to fit into the machine. I think both the mount and velvet turned out well!

22-Aug-19
Just awesome!

22-Aug-19
Holy wowwww

22-Aug-19
Beautiful! Great mount. Even better deer.

22-Aug-19
WOW, awesome!!!!

22-Aug-19
Thanks for posting....6.5 years old! What genetics!

22-Aug-19
Oh my

22-Aug-19
Dang.....Great deer!

Please post field pics again.

22-Aug-19
Nice buck and thanks for posting pics of it.

22-Aug-19
Wow! Dream buck there! Really puts a bookend to your field pics.

22-Aug-19
Thanks for sharing the info Marvin. What a fantastic animal. Great looking job on the taxidermy.

22-Aug-19
Very nice! Beautiful mount.

22-Aug-19
Sweet trophy & mount !

22-Aug-19
Now that is a monster mule deer! Looks awesome! Would also think he would be older. Congratulations!

22-Aug-19
Wow, what a creature..

22-Aug-19
Dandy!!! Congrats!

22-Aug-19
Phenomenal, phenomenal deer!!! What a feeling to look at that buck every morning to start your day!

22-Aug-19
Amazing to me in so many ways!! Hunt

22-Aug-19
Beautiful

22-Aug-19
That’s a beauty!

22-Aug-19
Awesome buck and great looking mount!

22-Aug-19
Unbelievably a trophy of a lifetime. Fantastic taxidermy work as well, congratulations.

22-Aug-19

StickFlicker's Link
ki-ke,

Here's a link to the original post that shows a few field photos, and I'll attach a photo of the Bowhunter cover that also has a field photo to make it easier for those reading on cell phones. Thanks all for the compliments.

22-Aug-19
Nice buck Marvin! Great mount too.

That issue had a couple booners in it :)

22-Aug-19
Incredible buck, Marvin! Hopefully, it’s not hanging too close to your antelope bucks. Might make them seem small ;-)

22-Aug-19
Wow!!

22-Aug-19
What BigOk said. "Wow!!"

22-Aug-19
What a buck! Congrats and thanks for sharing

22-Aug-19
Giant, and a well earned buck! Not a "believer" in the Cementum aging, but he's a great Muley at any age!

22-Aug-19
Wow giant

22-Aug-19
color me jealous!!

22-Aug-19
sitO- what do you mean? Do you think the aging isn’t accurate or what?

22-Aug-19
Sending you a PM Justin, not trying to derail Marvin's thread

22-Aug-19
Great buck & really nice mount!

23-Aug-19
Best Velvet Muley mount I think I have ever seen!!

What a dandy buck Marv

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

23-Aug-19
Marvin- Thanks for the link. I read the story again......Great experience for sure. Amazing animal and great story!! Congrats again

23-Aug-19
Outstanding buck and a beautiful mount! Congrats again!

23-Aug-19
Gorgeous buck, congrats. Two questions, how did you retrieve him without damaging the velvet? I couldn't get a spike whitetail out of the woods without stripping half his velvet off. 2nd, how do you keep it clean and dust free?

23-Aug-19
I really like Marvin, he is a great guy... and what a wonderful buck!!!!

Congrats again brother!

23-Aug-19
1st class all the way ! Great buck.

23-Aug-19
What a deer! Beyond impressive

23-Aug-19
Wow, what a deer. Congrats! Just awesome!

23-Aug-19
That’s an awesome buck! That issue is still on my coffee table.

23-Aug-19
Droooolllll

23-Aug-19
Outstanding... in every way. Congratulations. Ed F

23-Aug-19
Beautiful I got my eye on a deer I would to see again this year. I'm pump now Thanks for sharing

23-Aug-19
"how did you retrieve him without damaging the velvet? I couldn't get a spike whitetail out of the woods without stripping half his velvet off."

Brian, I actually didn't start out to save the velvet. I thought I might strip it for record book purposes, but tried to take some care in case I changed my mind. After photos and carrying him back to the truck, I packed my camp and drove about 30 miles or so closer to civilization to camp for the night with a wounded warrior that had been given a tag and to help on his hunt the following day. Then, a parade of people starting coming to camp to see it, and each person had to pick up the head by the antlers and hold it. By the next day I decided I really wanted the mount to look like the buck I killed rather than strip the antlers. I figured that mattered more to me than the record books. I do wish I hadn't let so many people crush the velvet on the main beams handling it, or it would look even nicer. THEN, I had three flat tires on my trailer on the drive out in very hot August weather (90's). The second one required me to leave my trailer in the middle of the road and drive an hour and a half to Utah to buy two tires and a rim. The antlers had to sit in the truck cab in the heat while I waited my turn at the tire shop to get them mounted, etc., and it was crowded. Upon returning to the trailer and replacing the rim/tire, I drove 15 minutes and one of the new tires went flat... After changing it, I had to return to Utah and wait to get that tire fixed for the 400+ mile drive home. It was probably 48 hours after I killed it before I got him into a freezer, only keeping it on the passenger seat with A/C blowing on it during the long drive home. It's a miracle that the velvet was even salvageable to be honest with you!

24-Aug-19
Nicely done Marvin. A real fine addition to your growing collection of great trophies. Congrats buddy!

24-Aug-19
Marvin, Congrats on a dream buck! Nobody deserves him more than you do!

24-Aug-19
Great buck and great mount! Crazy huge!

• Sitka Gear