8point 14-Apr-20
Paul@thefort 14-Apr-20
Mule Power 14-Apr-20
11-Apr-20

Treeline's Link
What we are up against in Colorado.

Where are the counter points?

11-Apr-20
Kevin Cook plans on hammering his pro wolf points for the next few months. There is no reader comment section for his opinion. I would guess a letter to the editor might be the only way to address this.

Check this out, on Youtube. ( Ft. Collins Colorado TV, Cross Currents wolf issue). A panel discussion per the subject of the reintroduction of the wolf to Colorado. this is being run every week since Feb. Paul

11-Apr-20
This kind of crap needs significant response. How do we get at least equal coverage in the media, Paul?

11-Apr-20
Money, and knowing someone in the media that has the same views as you and is willing to give you screen/radio time , and money.

12-Apr-20
Counter point

Colorado residents are going through tough financial times due to corona. An elk harvested by a hunter can feed a family for most of the year. Help struggling families by protecting elk from invasive wolf populations.

12-Apr-20
Mr. Cook will be writing, once a month about the wolf debate. His last sentence shows where he is coming from. From the Loveland newspaper. Wildlife Window: Look at history of Colorado’s big mammal populations and wolves By KEVIN J. COOK | April 8, 2020 at 8:24 p.m. First we bought the land then we settled it, and we did so without restraint.

And the gray wolf suffered for it.

Here are some details worth understanding.

Though most Americans think of the place as the Louisiana Purchase, that is a mistaken assumption. The term “Louisiana Purchase” applies only to the business transaction between two nations.

TOP ARTICLES 3/5 READ MORE Lovelanders spread joy during lockdown with sidewalk and window art

Once America took possession of the land, Congress named it the “District of Louisiana.” When Louisiana became a state the remaining area was renamed the “Territory of Missouri”; when Missouri became a state the area was formally known as the “Unnamed Lands.”

In less than half a century, Americans were crossing over and settling into the Unnamed Lands to acquire wealth from mining silver and gold. Territories were formed and within 30 years of being so recognized, the name “Unnamed Lands” disappeared.

Both industry — logging, mining, railroading — and the human population grew much faster than did either local agriculture or the means for expediently shipping food from the East.

Big companies hired hunters to provide meat for their laborers, meals being a benefit of employment. Meat markets developed in the towns and cities, and everything from robins and meadowlarks to deer and elk were sold as meat for human consumption.

In his 1866 book, “Colorado: A Summer Trip,” Bayard Taylor wrote of how every tree within miles of Central City and Blackhawk had been cut down. Forty years later, Enos Mills wrote and lectured on the burning of surviving forests so that two or three years later sheep and cattle could graze the grass and wildflowers that were growing back.

Year round hunting, extensive logging, mine tailings, development of agriculture, and most egregious of all, slaughtering bison as a way to subdue Indians, collectively devastated Colorado’s wildlife populations.

The last wild bison not managed as livestock in Colorado were killed in 1897. By 1910 Colorado’s elk population had been reduced to 1,000 or fewer animals. By 1918 our pronghorn population had declined to fewer than 1,000. Bighorn sheep also dwindled to precariously low numbers in scattered, disjunct populations.

Neither moose nor mountain goat occupied Colorado during this period.

As a consequence of the large mammal wildlife decline occurring simultaneously with a large mammal livestock increase, gray wolves were forced by human activity to take what prey they could find. A sheep or a cattle became the only food available to them.

And yes, I mean “a cattle.” Technically, “cattle” is the name of the species and “cow” is the term for females of the species. If the species is called “cow,” then a male would be a “bull cow,” which is linguistically absurd.

Like the difference between Louisiana Purchase and District of Louisiana, the difference between using “cow” and “cattle” indicates attention to information detail. In the discussion about restoring the gray wolf to Colorado, historical detail matters.

Yes, historically, wolves preyed on livestock, but they did so because people destroyed their food supply. To argue that wolves don’t eat livestock ignores historical fact. To argue that wolves only prey on livestock and do so excessively likewise ignores historical fact.

Colorado’s big mammal populations have recovered well enough to feed the wolves.

12-Apr-20
...and not the people???

From what I have been hearing in Idaho and Montana, the wolves have decimated the big game populations while killing livestock and pets...

12-Apr-20
I will wait until I see which direction he is slanting towards before responding. So far, per his last sentence, I think I know his direction he will take his readers.

Sometimes writers with a good education and writing ability do not have any "street smarts". my best, Paul

12-Apr-20
A little off this thread but wolf stuff. Talked to my buddy last night that is the federal wolf guy in this State. he said the depredation calls are now starting as the cattle are getting out to pasture. A couple days ago he said he got a call about a guy losing a guard donkey to wolves! Asked what the hell is a guard donkey and he said some guys put them with their cattle cuz they hate canines. Said it was no match for the pack of wolves though!

12-Apr-20
If I encounter any wile elk or deer hunting this year, I'll shoot and leave lay.

12-Apr-20
Shooting a wolf on a chance encounter will not effect the population anymore that increasing the speed limit on Interstate 5 will reduce the opossum population. I think Colorado hunters are bucking a bad trend. Stopping the wolf spread has not gone well anywhere else I know of. Colorado is the premier elk hunting State and it brings in millions of dollars each year to businesses. The real instate beneficiaries of a great elk population are the businesses that depend on hunters. How many tourists will come to Colorado mostly because they have wolves, as compared to those that will come for the elk? I think Colorado stands to lose a lot more than they will gain by introducing non-native Canadian Grey wolves. I have never hunted Colorado, so for me it is not personal.

12-Apr-20
Absolutely right, Swede. The pro wolf people are targeting the emotions of the millions of voters on the urban Front Range with promises of ecotourism, balance of nature, all that garbage. Meanwhile, the Stop The Wolf campaign seems myopically focused on the rural vote. Hopefully that will change as the election gets closer.

12-Apr-20
Lou, it will change as the election gets closer.

12-Apr-20
Last weekend, My buddy was about 10 mins behind me and he saw a black wolf near Gould CO on the way ice fishing. The wolf crossed hwy 14 in front of him.

Can’t re-introduce something that’s already here.

12-Apr-20
Who said I was just going to shoot one? I'm good with my suppressed 6.5 out to 700 yards. Take two out and you just saved a couple dozen big game animals

12-Apr-20
I hope everyone involved including voters "on the fence" are aware of the destruction of the Lolo elk herd in Idaho by wolf introduction and the manner in which they take down an elk or moose for that matter.

12-Apr-20
Brad, if not already, have your buddy go to the CPW website, and fill out and report of the wolf sighting. One report per wolf sighting. Will help the CPW.

12-Apr-20
Wolves do not kill just to feed themselves and their young. They kill because they are killers. They will keep on killing elk long after they have enough to gorge themselves and their pups. When your elk are all gone they will move on to other things to kill. Fortunately they very rarely kill people.

12-Apr-20
Unfortunately posters on hunting forums, including bowsite, spend significantly more time on frivolous debates such as mechanical broadhead vs fixed blades, while groups that are actively opposed to hunting focuses their efforts making progress with their agendas. I wonder if they debate if billboards , newspaper ads, or Facebook is more effective at wolf reintroduction?

12-Apr-20
As far as I know there only two groups taking any initiative to oppose the reintroduction of the wolf into Colorado.

1. Stopthewolf.org Go to this website. I am the Larimier County Colorado team leader

2. Rethinkwolves, ie, Coloradans Protecting Wildlife. Livestock producers

Currently, 39 of the 62 Colorado Counties has signed a Resolution in opposition to the reintroduction of the wolf into Colorado.

Stop The Wolf has a Political Action Committee that will be running a social media campaign shortly.

NRA has joined as a sponsor and will notify NRA members to support the effort. See other sponsors on the stopthewolf.org website.

There are other things going on behind the scenes prior to the election date.

As individuals you can respond when you see an op ad in the newspaper, just be factual of that you speak. You can address this issue by notifying friends of the issue. Get talking points from stopthewolf.org.

12-Apr-20

KSflatlander's Link
Swede- your claim that wolves kill for sport is just not supported by biological studies. Surplus killing are rare and typically happen in the winter. See link to scientific study and copied text below:

“ Surplus Killing When prey are vulnerable and abundant, wolves, like other carnivores, kill often and may not completely con- sume the carcasses, a phenomenon known as "surplus killing" (Kruuk 1972) or "excessive killing" (Carbyn 1983b). The amount of each carcass wolves eat depends on how easy it is to kill prey at the time, but sometimes they leave entire carcasses (Pimlott et al. 1969; Mech and Frenzel1971a; Peterson and Allen 1974; Bjarvall and Nils- son 1976; Carbyn 1983b; Miller et al. 1985; DelGiudice 1998). Surplus killing of domestic animals lacking normal defenses against wolf predation may not be unusual (Young and Goldman 1944; Bjarvall and Nilsson 1976; Fritts et al. 1992), but it is rare for wolves to kill wild prey in surplus. All cases of surplus killing of wild prey reported for wolves have occurred during a few weeks in late winter or spring when snow was unusually deep. In 30 years of wolf-deer study, Mech observed this phe- nomenon only twice (Mech and Frenzel 1971a; L. D. Mech, unpublished data), and in forty winters of wolf-moose studies, it was seen in only three winters (Peter- son and Allen 1974; R. 0. Peterson, unpublished data). DelGiudice (1998) recorded it during only a few weeks in one of six winters.”

They are predators and do what predators do. To demonize them for it is silly and ridiculous. Making claims like that does not help your cause.

12-Apr-20
I got my information by reading too. The book I refer to is "Alaska's Wolfman" by Jim Reardon. It focuses on the wilderness life of Frank Glaser who studied and hunted wolves, as a bounty hunter, government agent, and studied them Alaska from 1915-1955. Frank Glaser recorded many incidents where wolves killed and killed then just left they prey. Frank Glaser was considered the most authoritative wolf expert in the business and used for research projects in Alaska.

12-Apr-20
^^^ But that was before the internet Swede. It can’t be true if link isn’t provided. :>}

12-Apr-20
Frank Glaser’s anecdotal experience with wolves in the early 1900s is not a “study” using unbiased scientific evidence. Although he may have observed wolf behavior extensively it is still just biased observations. Just because he observed surplus killings does not mean wolves “ ...will keep on killing elk long after they have enough to gorge themselves and their pups.”. Surplus killing does happen and wildlife biology has known this for a long time but it is the exception not the rule. When you make claims like that it is easily disproven.

12-Apr-20
"Unbiased scientific evidence".

In 2020, I don't believe that exists anymore.

12-Apr-20
And now we have a better idea who the pro wolfees are on Bowsite.

12-Apr-20
BC has been studying, catching, collaring, tracking and watching wolves for many years. And their main prey species. Anything to keep from killing them to save caribou. Now that several herds are genetically extinct, the government finally had to act a few years ago. Once they had the local Indian bands on board, they started helicopter gunning wolves around four different and distinct caribou herds. The herds ALL went from year over year declines to maintaining, then increasing. For a couple of years there was a counted eleven percent increase, compounding. The 2019 count showed a FIFTEEN percent increase. Keep in mind no other levers were pulled. No others changes to human activity. JUST REDUCING WOLVES!! Killing some bears would help to.

And the balance that everyone likes to point at is nothing more that a series of wild swings.

13-Apr-20
KSflatlander, I am taking it that you never read the book. Frank Glaser was not antiwolf. He used them for sled dogs. He was very proud of his wolves and wolfdogs. His knowledge and experience was used in research for Alaska. They also used him for much the same reason BC is working with natives and killing some.

13-Apr-20
Please stop with the if it ain't science based it won't help cause ksflatlander.

We are talking about Colorado voters.

Are mother's going to have time or take the time to read long ass boring as hell science based studies? Where in their busy schedules will they find the time?

The issue will be settled with 20 second blurbs on TV, radio and other media. The pro side will show puppies. Hopefully STW shows blood and family dogs attacked.

13-Apr-20
Swede- you can deflect all you want but portraying wolves (as you did) as blood thirsty killers that hunt for sport and gorge themselves then immediately chase down the next prey animal is a myth and fallacy. Absolutely, wolves have impacts on prey populations. So do big game hunters. And yes, both predator take and big game hunting should be managed.

No, I have not read the book and never claimed that I had. It does not matter if Frank Glaser was pro-wolf or anti-wolf, biologist or trapper, government employee or not. He may have known wolf habits very well for the area he trapped/worked in...possibly better than anyone at the time in Alaska but it is still anecdotal experiences. If he as very proud of his wolves as you say can inject bias. Making the claim that your conclusions about wolves must be correct by reading one book or that Frank Glaser's experience with wolves in Alaska 80 years ago is a red herring. Wolves are not the conscience blood thirsty "killers" you make them out to be. Nor are coyotes, black bears, griszzly/brown bears, etc. They are predators and a part of the ecosystem.

Bowbender- I'll take it. I am pro-wolf. I'm also pro-elk, pro-predator, pro-prey, pro-wildlife, and pro-hunting. I value all wildlife and ecosystems and think we should conserve as much as we can for the benefit of future generations. I don't only value wildlife we hunt or expect all ecosystems to be managed just for hunting benefits. So yes, I do value wolves along with all other wildlife.

If someone wants to make wolves out to be the myths of fables it is not going to help "stop the wolf" because there is plenty of biological studies out there that says they are not "will keep on killing elk long after they have enough to gorge themselves and their pups."

13-Apr-20

Ucsdryder's Link
Blows my mind that there are hunters who are pro-wolf.

13-Apr-20
It amazes me that there are hunters out there who don't value wildlife and wild-places just for being the value of being wild. That there are hunters out there who only value animals they can hunt or fish. I feel sorry for hunters like that who think only a punched tag is a successful hunt and don't value the experience. My best whitetail hunt last year was the one where I got to watch 4 river otters for hours from my tree stand. Amazingly intelligent and curious animals.

Grasshopper makes a great example of why ballot box biology is a bad idea. So your counter to pro-wolf propaganda is anti-wolf propaganda and that makes you better than them? Facts be damned just push your agenda by any means necessary because you think the ends justifies the means. I don't buy it. Hell, why not just tell the public that wolves in CO will increase their chances of becoming werewolves. I don't think it will help your cause to go the the anti-wolf myth route of propaganda is going to help your cause. There are legit reasons why wolves should not be reintroduced in CO. For one, they are already in CO.

13-Apr-20
LETS FACE THE TRUTH, the gray wolf is already here in Colorado as they have migrated in over the past 15 years and have been viewed by the general public and then recently documented by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife. So there is no need for a FORCED REINTRODUCTION of large numbers of the Canadian Gray Wolf into Colorado over time and circumventing the state’s wildlife biologists and the Colorado Wildlife Commission’s decision to OPPOSE the forced reintroduction by using the Ballot Initiative process. Natural migration, yes. Forced reintroduction, no. There is a huge difference between Want & Need & those who WANT to FORCE greater numbers of the gray wolf into Colorado will do anything they can to get them here in greater numbers than if they just migrate in. Want vs. Need!

Those (Rocky Mtn. Wolf Project, Rocky Mtn. Wolf Fund, Sierra Club, Defenders of Wildlife, etc.) who WANT to force the reintroduction of the Gray Wolf into Colorado found a “loop hole” because Colorado is a ballot initiative state & wildlife issues can be tested before the general public, & against the recommendations of the Colorado Wildlife Commission as in this case. Those forcing the issue have already spent nearly 1.3 million dollars to get Ballot Initiative 107 to the voting public in November of 2020. It has been reported that 99% of those monies came from out of state sources. And according to a recent Sierra Club report, they are willing to spend 4 million more dollars to get it passed.

Ballot Initiative 107, many believe, is full of FALSE narratives as follows: 1. Wolves will only be introduced on Public land or designated private lands. 2, Wolves will only be introduced WEST of the Continental Divide. 3. Once established, the Gray Wolf will bring back the critical balance of Nature to Colorado. 4. Wolves were eliminated in Colorado over 80 years ago. Yes while true, only 1.2 million persons resided in Colorado at that time; currently Colorado is pushing 6 MIL residents statewide. Colorado has twice the population of Idaho, Montana & Wyoming combined where good populations of delisted wolves reside today. Some may use the Yellowstone National Parks as a great comparison to why Colorado needs wolves but YNP has 2.2 million contiguous acres and NO hunting seasons to control big game species. Colorado is not Yellowstone! Some have suggested that wolves need to be introduced into the Rocky Mtn. Nat Park and other areas to control the elk herds. The former Superintendent of the Park, Vaughn Baker, wrote an article for the Denver Post, 2009, titled, “Wolf reintroduction: It won’t work here like in Yellowstone.” and gave many reasons why not. The reasons given can be used statewide as reasons for the OPPOSITION to the forced introduction. The USFW Service did not include Colorado as part of the Greater Rockies Wolf Recovery Project thirteen years ago, and at that same time, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission approved a plan entitled, "Findings & Recommendations for Managing Wolves which Migrate into Colorado," which was in response to the reintroduction of the gray wolf by the USFWS into the Yellowstone National Park area. That same year a migrating wolf from Wyoming was found dead on Colorado's West I-70, & others have recently been observed in Colorado since then. The above report/findings (CPW Resolution 16-01) was developed by a group with various interests/backgrounds in Colorado, ie., Colorado Wolf Management Working Group, made up of environmentalists, sportsmen, local government, wildlife biologists & livestock producers. The results were comprehensive & not against the wolf being in Colorado at all. This group developed a Colorado Wolf Management framework as follows:

1. Accepting a (migrating) wolf presence in Colorado with conditions. 2. Urging that wolves migrating into Colorado be allowed to live with "no boundaries" where they find habitat 3. Advocating that wolves be left wherever found, providing they are not causing problems 4. Taking measures to avoid conflicts through non-lethal methods if possible & if wolves cause problems, manage them to resolve the problem 5. Recommending that funding for wolf management come from sources other than hunting license sales, & then the Resolution concluded that: "any introduction or reintroduction of the wolves into Colorado is a potential conflict with the State's livestock industry and current big game management efforts."

The current Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission, appointed by the Governor, and then approved by the State Legislature resolved the following: "That the (current year 2016) Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission affirms its support of the Wolf Working Group's recommendations adopted by the Wildlife Commission in May 2005, OPPOSING the intentional release of any wolves into Colorado......" (Adopted, January 13, 2016)

Most Colorado citizens believe in the legitimacy of the Colorado Wildlife Commission & CPW Wildlife Director and staff to scientifically manage Colorado's big game populations. Voting citizens should follow their lead and recommendations concerning this wolf introduction issue. IF YOU UNDERSTAND AND BELIEVE in the time/tested management of Colorado’s big game species and also the North American Wildlife Conservation Model, YOU WILL SUPPORT the Wildlife Commission’s recommendations AND OPPOSE THE FORCED INTRODUCTION OF THE WOLF INTO COLORADO, by outside groups.

Currently, there are 39Colorado Counties which have signed a County Resolution OPPOSING the forced reintroduction of the gray wolf into Colorado. (Nine are Front Range Counties) These counties have studied & examined the effects that forced introduction of the gray wolf may have on its communities, its citizens, its economy, its health, its safety, its wildlife and its livestock, both commercial & domestic. The subject of the wolf can be a very emotional subject & the voting public needs to EXAMINE the facts of this Colorado issue before voting concerning the Forced Introduction of the gray wolf to Colorado. I would recommend visiting the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website & also visit the Stopthewolf.org website & see for yourself that there is more to this FORCED Wolf issue than one can imagine. Paul Navarre, Fort Collins CO

13-Apr-20
"Blows my mind that there are hunters who are pro-wolf." Exactly!

In a perfect world, I suppose a person could be pro-wolf, as well as pro-elk, pro-moose, pro-deer, etc. However, it has been proven time, after time, after time, that we certainly don't live in a perfect world. If wolves were allowed to be managed by those that actually get paid to manage wildlife, i.e. state game & fish departments, that would be one thing. Unfortunately, in most cases, wolf management is left in the hands of clueless politicians and liberal, tree-hugging judges. They obviously crawl in bed with those that see wolves as nothing more than harmless, cute, and cuddly little creatures that wondrously howl at the moon. Not only does this guarantee elk, moose, deer, etc, take a severe beating, they also make damn sure the state's have to waste valuable time and financial resources to respond to their incessant, nonsensical lawsuits.

13-Apr-20
Paul- I think you have posted your letter on here before. I read it again and you make a compelling argument as to why not to reintroduce. So much better than the anti-wolf myths.

Unsolicited so forgive me. I would lose the all caps words as it seems too emotional like you are yelling. It distracts from your well made argument you have put together IMO.

13-Apr-20
KS, we tried in BC to use the scientific method as opposed to the emotionally driven appeals of the anti grizzly/wolf hunting propagandists.

We failed completely and miserably!!! Sometimes You have to fight on the field and with the weapons your opponent chooses. Is that really “.. stooping to their level” or just smart strategy?

Jane Goodall, the monkey lady, told one of the ardent pro-wolfers that the battle will be won in the heart not the head, use emotion.

They set the stage for the battle.

13-Apr-20
wyobullshooter- good point...I think. So what you are saying is that its not a wolf problem but rather it is a people problem? So you would be good with wolves in CO as long as wildlife biologists were to allowed to manage them with the objective of a balance between predator, prey, and big game populations? Have some wolves but also have the same level of big game hunting as there currently is?

13-Apr-20
Ambush- I get your point. However, you know what happens when both sides are emotional in an argument...nobody is listening. Sure there are emotions involved but that does not mean that facts are not important. Facts are the best counter to falsehoods/propaganda with or without emotion. Especially in a voting situation when you are trying to reach the undecided. So try to push falsehoods and pass them off as facts (lying). It's better just to present facts, expose them, and prove them wrong IMO.

13-Apr-20
KS, you will have more credibility on here if you spend your next elk bowhunting season in the Lolo Zone, then come back on and tell us how much you enjoyed those "wild places" made more wild by the presence of artificially-stocked wolves.

13-Apr-20
OK KS.... How about pro balance and pro facts? Using Idaho and Montana as examples of two things should tell law makers, pro wolfers, anti wolfers and on the fence people what will happen. For one they will decimate moose, elk, and deer herds. For two the reason why this happens is that once you give pro wolfers an inch they will continue to screw us for sport and to chase down the next lawsuit and take miles not inches. The state will have their hands tied by one or two judges and people will stand by helplessly watching as the current population of ungulates plummets. By the time people realize that wolves are machines that run 24/7/365 it’ll be too late. True story!

Is there any reason at all why Colorado won’t follow this same path? Only one that I can think of. Hunters have always talked about the pressure there. How even in the back country it was like an army out there. If that army wages war on wolves it could be the silver lining to having so many hunters. I sure hope that Colorado is able to snuff out the “re”-introduction if wolves. But if not do yourself a favor if you live or hunt in Colorado and do the ethical thing. It’s a shame to have to say that but since politics has over ridden sound game management it’s the right thing to do.

13-Apr-20
Yes, I am yelling and will continue to do so when necessary. Having some wolves that just naturally migrate in is not a wolf problem or even a people perceived problem/issue. Forced reintroduction is the issue, using a Ballot Initiative as that means.

My fear it that the liberal Colorado State Legislature/Governor might develop and then vote in a wolf reintroductin bill.

13-Apr-20
Sorry KS, but that just won’t work. Sounds fine and noble, but this isn’t a movie where the guys in white Stetsons always win.

And as far as pro-wolf groups wanting the “natural balance”, what could be more natural than natural migration? Wolves filling in where they can naturally survive?

But no, they want a human engineered and forced “natural” process. Bit of a dichotomy.

13-Apr-20
At least he’s in Kansas and can’t vote for wolves to be introduced in Colorado in November....

13-Apr-20
Balance... that’s what they promised in Idaho and Montana. Instead we surpassed the original population goals over 6 times through lawsuits.

Pro wolf equals anti hunting! At all costs. Period!

13-Apr-20
KS, to be honest, 25-30yrs ago, hardly anyone, including the state game departments, were opposed to the Yellowstone reintroduction, as long as the states were allowed to implement a wolf management plan that provided a sufficient number of wolves, but not at the expense of other wildlife. 20+ yrs after Wyoming's wolf management plan was accepted, it finally was allowed to be put into action...20+ freakin' years! And that was only after a higher court told the lower-level liberal judges to shut up and actually read Wyoming's management plan, since it had provided the required protection and sustainability of wolves from day one. Fast forward to today, in no way, shape or form would I ever be in favor of wolves being shoved down our throats anywhere. That ship sailed a long time ago. Emotional or not, that's how I feel, and it's not going to change.

So in answer to your other question, no, I'm not in favor of more wolves being dumped into Colorado. And honestly, I'm sick and tired of hearing the word "reintroduction" being tossed around. You can't reintroduce something that's already there.

13-Apr-20
Jaq- Have you hunted Lolo or even Idaho wolf country for that matter? What is Idaho now doing in Lolo? What are the elk population trends in Idaho since the wolf reintroduction? By the way, I spend a lot of time in the mountains and wild-lands without my bow and outside of hunting season. I enjoy it every single time.

FYI- I think that pro-wolf groups keep moving the goal posts is a good argument to make.

I simply posted because I'm tired of the "wolf is the devil" crap (and it is truly crap) people post and try to pass off as generalized fact for all wolves. The biological data does not support it. You want to label me as "pro-wolf" to attach some kind of stigma or sling the "if your not with us your against us" BS go right ahead. And I am against the wolf ballot initiative. Yes, I do see value in wolves the same as with bears, coyotes, foxes, wolverines, cougars, etc. The same as I do with elk, deer, sheep, goats, caribou, etc., other flora and non-game fauna, and ecosystems in which they live in. The same as I value hunting some of those animals in their ecosystems.

Treeline- If I did live in CO I would vote "no" but feel free to make me out to be the enemy.

13-Apr-20
KS! I’ve hunted the Lolo and much of the Idaho/Montana border. I’m not a numbers guy but I can tell you that in at least our lifetime the elk and deer and moose hunting will never be the same.

And for clarification it’s not specifically the wolves that sensible people are claiming are the devil.... it’s the wolf huggers and politicians who have done nothing but lie to us as they dump millions into their cause, their hidden agenda. It’s not actually the wolves who show up in court.

13-Apr-20
Ground hunter- exactly where is your point counter to my statements? Please post a link to the "study" you are talking about.

13-Apr-20
His point is it’s not about the predators themselves it’s about their supporters who have already revealed their intentions.

Here I’ll sum it ip for you: Lie to us once shame on you. But lie to us 5 times (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Wisconsin, Minnesota) and shame on us if we fall for that crap again.

I’ll shorten it up even more: No good can come of it!

13-Apr-20
I believe I said that. "I think that pro-wolf groups keep moving the goal posts is a good argument to make."

Again, Ground hunter- exactly where is your point counter to my statements? Please post a link to the "study" you are talking about.

13-Apr-20
Paul, do you really think a bill negotiated with Republican input would be worse than this initiative that's going to pass? I thought Kerry Donovan's proposal was better than 107, at least provided some ways out. The pro-wolf people did too, which is why they fought against it. They know they will pass 107 in a landslide, and don't want it diluted.

13-Apr-20

KSflatlander's Link
ground hunter- The link is to the Wisconsin Wolf Management Plan (October 27, 1999). I do not see anywhere in the plan where it says Wisconsin could or would sustain a population of about 350 animals. It says the goal was to get the wolf population over 350 but nothing about keeping the population at 350. Can you point me as to where it says sustain 350?

Also, where did you get the 2000 wolves in WI number?

13-Apr-20
Table 1: Comparison between 2017-18 and 2018-19 overwinter minimum wolf counts in Wisconsin Zone 2017-18 Min. count 2017-18 packs 2018-19 Min. count 2018-19 packs % change in Min. Count 1 349-368 91 360-379 92 3.2 2 230-238 57 220-239 58 -4.3 3 84 28 106-111 31 26.2 4 38-41 11 35-38 11 -7.9 5 144-153 34 134-147 34 -6.9 6 60 17 59-64 17 -1.7 Total 905-944 238 914-978 243 1 total, 914-978 as estimated

13-Apr-20
You guys need to realize that KSflatbrimmer is like one of the average bowsite guys going to a Pro Wolf forum or maybe BHA and trying to stir the pot over there. Your wasting your time.

13-Apr-20
KS you’re interested in supporting the wolves enough to spend time doing homework?

There are nearly (probably over) 1000 wolves in Wisconsin. Triple the number you mentioned that they mentioned. What more do you need to know other than deer hunting has diminished to nothing in areas there?

13-Apr-20
From the 1999 Wisconsin Wolf Plan, Page 15,

"The Wisconsin Wolf Advisory Committee settled on a management goal of 350 wolves, as a minimum number, and as a reasonable first attempt.

The management goal falls about half way between delisting # (250 wolves) and the perceived biological carrying capacity of 500 wolves in the state."

So as shown above, the estimated # of wolves in Wisconsin 2018-19 were 914 -978 and yes nearly 1000, and according to the Plan, twice the perceived biological carrying capacity. And still under USFWS control. That population seems to have stabilized according to reports.

13-Apr-20
"KS you’re interested in supporting the wolves enough to spend time doing homework?" Yes, forgive me for not taking someone's word for it on a discussion thread. Facts do matter don't they? I wouldn't interpret fact finding as support for pro-wolfers if that is what you are getting at.

"There are nearly (probably over) 1000 wolves in Wisconsin. Triple the number you mentioned that they mentioned. What more do you need to know other than deer hunting has diminished to nothing in areas there?" I think you missed the point. Ground hunter made it seem like the WI plan would maintain 350 wolves. It clearly says the goal was to reach 350 wolves or greater. It also says the feds will manage the wolves until they are delisted from the ESA. Which they did. Now they are back on the list.

13-Apr-20
Our Colorado voters gave Bernie Sanders a victory. Likely they are ready to pass Colorado's AOC green new deal. Again, the goal and objective is for 107 to be defeated. Results matter.

Try reciting a science based report to my wife. She will give you 15 seconds before she shuts you down. No free time.

Our ballot in 2020 will be full of crap including whether we should retain the electoral college as written or let Los Angeles, & NY pick the president. In Colorado the ballot will ask whether or not district court judges should be retained. What percentage of voters take the time to investigate whether a district court judge aligns with their values? About the same percentage who will look at facts on wolves. 20 seconds of mindshare is all you will get with most.

Reciting science only works for a small slice of voters.

13-Apr-20
That's what I keep trying to explain to the Stop The Wolf folks. A four minute video of some old goat in a cowboy hat telling why wolves are bad will reach nobody except his relatives who watch it. The average attention span is 9 seconds before someone either decides to pay attention or not. After 9 seconds they either lock in or move on.

107 will pass easily because within 9 seconds Front Range voters will decide (most have already) that wolves are cool. Science? Meh. Statistics? Move along. Revenue? So what. Wolves are cool. We want them. Next item on the ballot...

13-Apr-20

Grasshopper's embedded Photo
Grasshopper's embedded Photo
JMHO The expense/revenue deal may actually help. Every time poloticians try to overturn the taxpayers bill of rights, voters say no. Every proposed tax increase, voters say no. Every money bill to pay for roads, voters say no. Every school board request for funds, voters say no.

I think the money issue could one of the best ways to defeat 107.

The Economics according to the email from chair of the commission are we might incur 16 million a year in expenses, and see a 50 million dollar annual revenue stream decline to much less over lost licenses, and diminished interest. That is the science that matters most, and makes the world spin - budget science.

13-Apr-20
The bill should include language clearly stating the anticipated costs. Within the first paragraph. And that the state’s taxpayers will be responsible for covering those costs.

13-Apr-20
"Unfortunately posters on hunting forums, including bowsite, spend significantly more time on frivolous debates such as mechanical broadhead vs fixed blades, while groups that are actively opposed to hunting focuses their efforts making progress with their agendas. I wonder if they debate if billboards , newspaper ads, or Facebook is more effective at wolf reintroduction?"

This thread is proving this point over and over again.

13-Apr-20
The discussion is occurring on a daily basis on Facebook. The I hunt Colorado group has 40,000 members. If you share one anti-wolf post on that page, and everyone has 200 friends on average you can reach a lot of people.

I enjoy bowsite, I get to hang with like minded bowhunters - but the message needs go beyond the bowsite congregation. Step up, get on facebook, and other platforms where voting soccer moms hang out.

13-Apr-20
If I remember right??? I believe the reason the States are spending so much is because if they can't prove they are protecting and managing the wolf population, they know they will lose in court. Then they will be forced to take even more extreme measures to protect them and it will be harder to manage anything in the future. They will be under court order. As bad as it may seem, sometimes it is best to leave things alone when it comes to this.

13-Apr-20
My op-ed in the Sunday Denver Post reached more than 220,000 mostly Front Range voters. There are a lot of ways to reach out beyond "preaching to the choir" that don't cost a nickel.

13-Apr-20
Thank you, Lou!

13-Apr-20
Lou, would you post on here your op-ed for those of us that do not get the Denver Post?

13-Apr-20
I would cut and paste from the previous thread but suspect it's been pulled like about half the others lately. I'll post it after I illegally travel from my cabin to my other place tomorrow.

14-Apr-20
Well, I have to say I don’t have a dog in the hunt in this situation. Shoulder surgery won’t allow me to draw a bow capable of killing and elk, and so I’d like to say thank you to Colorado for the 12 years I bow hunted there. In my opinion, this wolf thing is not so much the wolves, but the fact that the ideology of the pro-wolfers almost all of whom will never interact with wolves will negatively impact those of us who hunt. The wolf “pack” is trying to cram their agenda down our throats plain & simple, and we know from experience, they will use sensationalism to enlist support from the public and politicians. If it were a realistic solution, it would be an easier pill to swallow, but common ground may be all but impossible to attain.

14-Apr-20
8pont, exactly, It is all about Want VS Need. There is no biological need to have another apex predator, the wolf, here in Colorado. That does not matter to the Rocky Mt Wolf Project, the Wolf Fund, the Defenders of Wildlife, the Sierra Club, they want to connect the dots. Connecting the dots means a line of states having wolves, from New York, to Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, to Arizona and New Mexico. Oh Wait! They need established packs of wolves in COLORADO, to make all of the dot connections and are will to do anything, and spend vast amounts of money to do so. They state, "we have waited for 25 years and will wait no longer". Oh sure, they state, "we respect the CPW but it is time to put the vote in the hands of Colorado citizens because they have a right and a say on what goes on, on National Forest and other public lands". It is not about Need, it is all about "WE WANT".

14-Apr-20
Never mind wildlife management......

• Sitka Gear