Mt. man 01-Jul-20
bigmartbowhunter 01-Jul-20
Daff 01-Jul-20
Hoot 01-Jul-20
KMAN1 05-Jul-20
stagetek 05-Jul-20
RJ Hunt 05-Jul-20
26-Jun-20
I've used a lot of heads over the years & have had success with nearly all of them but for some reason there's this one Broadhead that stands above all others in my mind, why, I really can't put my finger on it but I have 100% confidence in it over all others. That head is the Viper Trick by Slick Trick!

Do you have a broadhead that seems to be cemented in your mind but still experiment with others?

ElkNut

26-Jun-20
Absolutely, experimenting is fun. For me, my go to is the Magnus Stinger. It’s not the “be all, end all” but within its limitations I think it’s an EXCELLENT choice

26-Jun-20
I took my very first deer with a Muzzy. I have poked around with a few different heads. But when it’s go time I still go with Muzzy. Kinda of the if it ain’t broke thing. I know there are better heads available but it’s been so long I know I that I would be thinking about it too much so I just won’t change.

26-Jun-20
Mine has to be the QAD Exodus swept 100 grain head. It’s fun trying other stuff but I always hunt with the Exodus!

26-Jun-20
I loved Thunderhead 100 grain heads for a long time, but I couldn’t get them to fly consistently when I switched from aluminum to carbon arrows. Never had any type of failure with them on a pile of critters. I went to the Wasp Boss 100grain (very similar to the Thunderheads) and have had no issues with them either. Been using the VPA 100 & 125grain 3 blades the past few years because I can resharpen them. They are tough as nails, but sometimes, the blood trails are a bit disappointing.

26-Jun-20
Love the Viper trick and have killed a couple with it. Switched to Exodus due to recommendation from a couple of Outfitter/guides from different camps who track lots of hit elk. They claim the 4 blade exit hole closes too easily vs triangle of 3 blade. Of course, if you hit them right, doesn't really matter, but as we all know, things don't always result in a great hit every time. As a confirmation, I do not use vipers nor 4 blades on hogs since they hardly bleed and you need every drop of blood you can find when hunting them with bow as they are not fun to walk up on when wounded!

26-Jun-20
Mine is the Magnus I, 4 blade 150 grain. No longer being made but I bought a lifetime supply before Magnus sold the traditional line to Thunder Valley so I am set.

26-Jun-20
Best head I ever shot was the old Rothaar Snuffer that Magnus produced. Hard on everything I ever shot with it from hogs to elk. Started shooting the 175 gr unvented VPA A couple years ago - very similar design and hard hitting. Be sticking with it.

Lee

26-Jun-20
A favourite head for a perfect double lung shot is easy. Anyone have a favourite for a less than perfect shot? For a shoulder blade or paunch? For bears, broadside at 15 yds it’s a big, sharp mechanical head every time because it gives the freedom to aim back a bit and it will still work every time. How about for an elk on a marginal hit?

26-Jun-20
I am going with the Slick Trick. It is very sharp and flies where my broadheads do. Some people have badmouthed it, but I have to admit that the Flying Arrow Cyclone amazed me when I hit an elk broadside through the lungs. The blood that burst out of it was incredible.

26-Jun-20
I have used Wasp Jak-Hammers for 20 years. No reason to switch. On elk I switch to the select-a-cut collars that make them 1.5 inch cut with very good swept back blade angle. I shoot speed bows at 73 pounds, 30 inch draw, 475 grain Axis 300 shafts just under 300 fps. For whitetails with the standard 13/4 inch cut with 425 grain axis at close to 320 feet per second they are killer. I shoot mini - blazer vanes and tune them up for perfect flight.

26-Jun-20
I shot bear razorheads for a long time, then muzzy’s both four and three blade. Slick trick after that, then on to 3 blade vpa. Currently shooting single bevel cutthroats. My favorites are the 2 blade broadheads. Might switch to the VPA 2 blade or magnus stingers.

26-Jun-20
Ram cats

26-Jun-20
Slick Trick for me also.

27-Jun-20
Had a horrible year losing animals back in the 90’s with 2-blade broadheads. So bad I almost gave up hunting with traditional bows. After a pep talk from my buddy Nathan, I switched to Snuffers and carbon arrows. Bugling Billy (BB) was also a big proponent of them.

Snuffers have killed more elk for me than any other broadhead. The lighter ones were not very tough but the 145 glue on and heavier were plenty stout.

I set up a lot of my hunting buddies with them over the years and they had a lot of success with it as well. Have had good luck recovering a number of elk that were not hit well with Snuffers and still did not go far with a good blood trail. I probably have a lifetime supply...

VPA’s 3-blade broadheads are also an excellent broadhead. My lightweight setups usually have the 150 grain VPA’s up front.

Have been shooting the Cutthroat single bevel’s for elk for several years. My quiver always has at least one Snuffer in it though... Still believe in that “Snuffer Magic”!

27-Jun-20
Qad exodus for me, so far I've killed 8 elk and 6 moose with them and I won't be changing. They fly better than any of the fixed heads ive tested which is amazing for the big cutting diameter and they are indestructible.

27-Jun-20
I love and have had great luck with my rocket steelhead 100 mechanical.

That said, if I was going to try a fixed head it would be a wasp and/or a slick trick. Ed

27-Jun-20
My go to head is the wensel woodsman, love it, best BH made in my opinion. I do try others and have killed with them, Eskimos, being one. Have some Simmons but have not killed with the, yet.

27-Jun-20
A favourite head for a perfect double lung shot is easy. Anyone have a favourite for a less than perfect shot? For a shoulder blade or paunch? For bears, broadside at 15 yds it’s a big, sharp mechanical head every time because it gives the freedom to aim back a bit and it will still work every time. How about for an elk on a marginal hit?

27-Jun-20
My go to has been Vortex for several years. I have some VPA's and Iron Wills for fixed blades as well. I've tried a few others but for Iowa Whitetails I'm sticking with Vortex.

So far this has to be the least disputed broadhead thread ever on Bowsite lol. Just a bunch of good guys giving honest opinions about the heads they like. No bashing BS. Keep it up!

27-Jun-20
My favorite for most of my 58 years of bowhunting was the NAP Thunderhead 125, and it still is. Along the way, tried a lot of others, mostly during summer practice sessions and the broadhead shoots we used to have at state association and at local clubs. Durability was always among my first qualities in testing. If the head didn't fly well and survive repeated shooting into clay hillsides and such, I kept looking for the better one.

I gravitated towards three bladed replaceable fixed pretty much on the basis of that design making the best use of the energy for creating a hole that was likely to leave the best blood trail, and to create two holes.

Ease of hand sharpening to extreme sharpness was another factor.

Country of origin was also important to me, even moreso these past few years.

My brother-in-law and nephew have many more kills than me, and they both switched to Slick Tricks several years ago and seem to be very pleased with them. I haven't tried them. Different heads have designs that favor different customer needs, and I think my TH125's still would likely be my best choice with my reduced energy bow in my old age.

27-Jun-20
Rage! Hands down. And the cheap Chinese ones from ebay, not even the real ones ???? On a serious note, Magnus and qad exodus have always performed great for me.

27-Jun-20
Muzzy 3 blade. I shot Thunderheads for a long time, but when I came across some Muzzy's, changed over for good. They shoot the best out of my bow as well.

27-Jun-20
Magnus Black Hornet

27-Jun-20
Magnus has never let me down.

27-Jun-20
QAD Exodus. Really like how well it flies. Very durable and has been deadly.

27-Jun-20
In the mid 70s I had a shop/lanes & Rocky Mountains came on the market then. We had several replaceable bladed heads back then (Satellite, Wasp with razor blades, Savoras). They had the first "sturdy" steel replaceable blade. I started with the 3 blade Razor & for 45 years now I have used some model 3 blade Rocky Mountain. Currently the Ironhead. No longer Mfgd but I bought a TON at a "like stealing" prices so I am good until my last days.. Well over 100 assorted biggame has fallen to these heads for me. Great head in so many ways..

27-Jun-20
Don't have the wide spread experience many on here have. But the 4-blade Zwickey Eskimo from trad or wheels has killed every thing I ever put it in.

27-Jun-20
I've had really good luck with the Wasp Boss 100 grain 3 blades. I've shot them for years. They fly great for me out to 50 yards and hold up pretty good even when hitting bone. I've been playing around with the Tooth of the arrow 1" 100 grain heads this spring and killed a turkey with one. Pretty good head too.

27-Jun-20
Was using Strickland 200gr single bevel heads. Only complaint was a little weird to sharpen. Switched to Cutthroat 200gr single bevel heads last year and love them.

27-Jun-20
I've found that 125 grain VPA non-vented 3 blades penetrate much better than Muzzy 3 blades. They're also much quieter. I've killed multiple species with each.

28-Jun-20
Okay, I’ll be the first. Rage hypodermics. Have used them on deer, antelope, bears, and elk. Absolutely love them. I have a very high KE setup, which makes a world of difference. It is rare that I don’t get a pass through, and the carnage they create is amazing. I have used lots of different heads from mechs to fixed, and have settled on the hypodermics as my go to head. For fixed I would pick the slick trick viper trick. They fly like darts and have treated me very well.

28-Jun-20
Funny, not one mention of Iron Will. Sold my set because I couldn’t see any difference between them and my Viper Tricks. Except the price.

28-Jun-20
I’ll step up for Iron Will.

Although I’ve killed by far most of my animals with other brands.

I think people are loyal to which brand they have had either the most success with or there is a particular hunt that puts that brand at the top for them.

IW is my new favorite.

28-Jun-20
Wicked Tricks

28-Jun-20
Ozcut Elites in 125 g 2 blade and 3 blade. Solid steel construction and can take the punishment. Need to know how to sharpen them though.

28-Jun-20
All time favorite was muzzy 115 . 4 blade (loved that one ) Spent 3 years with rage. Tried wacem xl, vpa, wasp dart, and some others. All good broadheads, but not the old muzzy. This year I will use the grim reaper pro hades 125 4 blade. Looks like my old muzzy, but way better built, and it fly’s fantastic. Hoping it is my new go to head! And yes I am a broadhead junky. Greg

28-Jun-20
Muzzys for about 5 years then Magnus Stingers for maybe 10 years. The last 5 years I’ve shot VPA vented and unvented with results similar to T-Roy’s. Last 2 years I’m shooting a mix of VPA, slick trick standard and muzzy 4 blades. Muzzy will be in the 1 hole this elk season.

28-Jun-20
No Broadheads cemented into my mind at this time. Like rage for smaller Stuff like Deer and black hornets or stingers for bigger species.

28-Jun-20
I have used the Wasp Jack Hammer since they came out. With over fifty animals to their credit. From 1.25” on bears to the select a cut on impala wart hog deer antelope Coyote. This head has always performed for me.

28-Jun-20
Used the 125 gr Thunderheads for about 20 years and switched to G5 Striker 100 gr about 8 or 10 years ago when I upgraded my bow. Now there is the Striker V2 in the last year which I use. Have had great success with the Striker. Currently shooting Hoyt RX1 Ultra.

28-Jun-20
I've killed more animals with Muzzy 4 blade 125s than all others put together. Almost all with longbows and recurves (I know, not supposed to shoot anything but a COC, blah, blah.., but I sharpen the trocar tips). But I've also had great success with IWs since switching. On my bull last year, quartering-to at 7 yards, the IW gave me the confidence to take a shot I wouldn't have taken with the 4 blade Muzzy. The penetration was awesome even after breaking a rib next to the sternum on entry. Bull went down in 40 yards.

28-Jun-20
First I ever shot was Slick Trick Mags and it's always been my go to broadhead. Has never let me down. Also like the VPA Terminators. These broadheads are always in my quiver.

28-Jun-20
If I had to start over I’d buy 125gr 4 blade Magnus stingers.

28-Jun-20
So Paul, are you keeping track with this poll, and going to reply with the results? But it has been enlightening to see, and not to see, what’s on the market.

28-Jun-20

28-Jun-20
Slick Trick Viper Tricks for the past 3 years. That ended 30+ years of experimenting.

28-Jun-20

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I’ve used quite a few different ones over the years. But I’ve been a fan of the Iron Will broadheads. Top quality and very accurate. A lot of good qualities about Iron Will

28-Jun-20
pirogue, no sir not keeping track, just enjoy seeing the different combination of heads guys put their trust in. Heck, there's no wrong answers! I've seen several heads I'd not heard of, cool!

Personally I like the Iron Will head but not as impressed with it as I'd hoped for the price. I'll take the Viper Trick over it. Just a personal observation & not a diss on it at all. You know what they say about opinions! (grin)

ElkNut

28-Jun-20
Viper Tricks

28-Jun-20
Looks like all us mechanical guys, except for 267, are avoiding the ridicule of the FB Gang :)

29-Jun-20

29-Jun-20
I have had great luck with Slick Trick 100 Standards.

29-Jun-20
Mechanical - Rocket Steelhead - Still have a bunch of 125s and 100s.

Fixed - I really like the NAP Hellrazors in 125 grains. I really like the fact they are all steel with no replaceable blades. And they fly amazing. But I did just order some 125 grain VPAs to try as I believe they are better made than the Hellrazors. This may end up being my go to head for the future,......, but then there is always the Magnus Stingers if these don't pan out. LOL.

29-Jun-20
Magnus Black Hornet.

29-Jun-20
I’m a fixed head guy. Lots of good ones these days. Several years ago, I settled on Iron Will. I don’t see a better head on the market.

29-Jun-20
The 125 grain two blade magnus stinger for a long time, them switched to the 150 grain two blade and four blade magnus stinger about five years ago . Messed a few of them up but certainly not a mechanical failure . Great product . Will probably try the I W one of these days on elk.

29-Jun-20
Iron Will. G5 Montec was effective before i discovered them. Lots of great heads to be had

01-Jul-20
Ramcat

01-Jul-20

altitude sick's embedded Photo
Rib of a mature Cape Buffalo
Rib of a mature Cape Buffalo

01-Jul-20

The 250 Iron Will after going through that 1” thick rib and hitting an offside rib
The 250 Iron Will after going through that 1” thick rib and hitting an offside rib

01-Jul-20
Mechanicals _125 spitfires

Fixed blade no particular favorites. I prefer four blades for fixed heads.

01-Jul-20
I like Ironwills or VPA for my recurve, and slicktrick or VPA for my compound.

01-Jul-20
Good old Wasp Jak Hammers are a great broadhead!

01-Jul-20

01-Jul-20
Back in the day when I first started I swore by the Savora 100gr. replaceable blade. Man those puppies where SHARP.

However, the past 8 years or so I have shot nothing but VPA with amazing bone/Lung and muscle damage. No complaints at all and tough as steel. Currently shooting the 100gr. unvented and have no plans to go elsewhere with a great Elk tag in my pocket.

01-Jul-20
Iron Will 125 gr, great head, perfect filght. slick trick viper trick 125 gr always with me.

01-Jul-20
I shot rothhar snuffers for many years loved them on swaged aluminum shafts. Availability made me change my setup I tried several and settled on 125gr Vpa 3 blade razors with the 1 1/4 diameter. They have one advantage over the old snuffer they always spin true! I guess I'm a little old but there is something medicinal about sharpening my own broadheads.

01-Jul-20
Interesting for sure, I do not have the experience most of you have, I have shot 3 deer, 2 antelope, and lost a bull that I shot right in the shoulder “knuckle”. 1 deer and the bull were with slick tricks, and the rest have been ulmer edge/sevr. I have been doing 100% of my tuning this year and I feel more confident than ever. I am going to use iron will s125’s this year, and I will still have some sevr 1.5” heads in my arsenal...

05-Jul-20
I started with Muzzy's but for whatever reason I just couldn't get them to fly straight from my bow. The bowshop guy recommended I try G5 Strikers and i haven't looked back. Sturdy, razor sharp and group like my field points, I won't ever change heads. oh and yea, I've killed 3 bulls with them!

05-Jul-20
Snuffers. I used 160gr. glue on's years ago. Using 125gr. now.

05-Jul-20
I tend to try different broadheads here and there but seems as though more often than not I am in the woods with the slick trick viper also.

• Sitka Gear